Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Yes! Great news to wake up to! SEGA has been killing it recently, although they're still lacking in the PSO2 department here. :P

Still, with the re-release of Shenmue I and II, the return of Sakura Wars, Valkyria Chronicles IV and their continued support of the Yakuza series, SEGA has done a lot of good things in recent years. They're still not there yet, especially when it comes to Sonic unfortunately, but I can see a bright future for them if they keep this up. Probably too much to ask, but I'd love a new Resonance of Fate as well, with even better graphics, a further improved battle system and amazing camera work, it could turn into something great.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I mean, I still perk up when I hear their theme blaring out of Project X Zone. I jumped at getting the OVAs as one of my first DVDs in the early 2000s, and still hum a lot of the music from the series idly.

I was offered a chance to buy a Saturn Import for $20 one time... but being unable to read Japanese, I chose something else instead. Eventually got a copy of 5, and... I really need to go back to it, lol. Was enjoying it quite a lot.

I'd definitely find some way to buy this, if it makes a release in the west. Red Ent. had me ready to buy anything they made from playing Thousand Arms, and I'd still love to play the older games.

As mentioned all throughout this thread, games like this should definitely have an audience outside Japan. We're getting Steins Gate and Otome stuff now, and Utawarerumono releases. Please take advantage of the expanding markets!

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I still perk up when I hear their theme blaring out of Project X Zone. I jumped at getting the OVAs as one of my first DVDs in the early 2000s, and still hum a lot of the music from the series idly.

I was offered a chance to buy a Saturn Import for $20 one time... but being unable to read Japanese, I chose something else instead. Eventually got a copy of 5, and... I really need to go back to it, lol. Was enjoying it quite a lot.

I'd definitely find some way to buy this, if it makes a release in the west. Red Ent. had me ready to buy anything they made from playing Thousand Arms, and I'd still love to play the older games.

As mentioned all throughout this thread, games like this should definitely have an audience outside Japan. We're getting Steins Gate and Otome stuff now, and Utawarerumono releases. Please take advantage of the expanding markets!

There certainly is a market for it now more than ever. Honestly I would be surprised if it didn't make it over. With the types of games that do make it over, especially visual novels and such, this certainly has its chance. The series is packed with so much gameplay and fantastic characters and stories its perfect for release now. I hope they do it for the western fans. The shipped may have sailed on 1-4, but 5 got out and the new one should too.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Every time I think I want to play the original as a Saturn classic, the dating sim side of things makes me hesitate to touch it. It does have a great theme song, though.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
There certainly is a market for it now more than ever. Honestly I would be surprised if it didn't make it over. With the types of games that do make it over, especially visual novels and such, this certainly has its chance. The series is packed with so much gameplay and fantastic characters and stories its perfect for release now. I hope they do it for the western fans. The shipped may have sailed on 1-4, but 5 got out and the new one should too.

I hope we get to a point where companies start releasing translations for old series that never made it out over here. That's a trend I wouldn't mind buying into. Especially with Steam opening up to such games. Got Romancing Saga 2 on consoles and PC, a Sakura Wars and Shining Force 3 series rebuild in similar fashion on consoles would fit right in! (Ok, maybe not, but one can dream.)

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Gacha potential is high with this game if sega can pull it off

Oh no let's not give them any ideas. I shudder at the possibilities of that. That would be a nightmare upon nightmares.

Besides they can make plenty of that gatcha money from the years and years of pachinko machines they've had and continue to make from the franchise. It always made me laugh when metal gear fans complain about pachinko, they don't usually know how long the video game industry here has been doing that. It's like what Sakura Taisen has been limited to the last ten years (and even longer if you really think about it)

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Hm, it's weird is how Haruki Satomi is heading it...is he at the top of Sega everything now, he likely would have no business with being involved with games development at this point. Goes to show that there is alot of confidence in this. Very likely that ther will be Anime/Manga etc.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the first four on Dreamcast back when that meant printing out phonebook-sized translation guides to flip through as I played. I can't imagine having the patience to play a game like that today. As I recall you could carry a save through all the DC ones.

I hope we get a western release for this. It seems crazy not to release anything in the west these days, but it is a heavy localization lift, and it would definitely mean they couldn't put in their token loli.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Wow cannot believe a new Sakura Wars is in the work.
Now let's hope it has classic animation design instead of current anime design.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, even though I loved 1-4, I never played 5. I think I didn't get a PS2 until a later in that gen (I went GameCube that round) and it had already become a bit rare by then.

I should correct that now. Is there a way to buy it digitally these days, or am I busting out PCSX2?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Probably too much to ask, but I'd love a new Resonance of Fate as well, with even better graphics, a further improved battle system and amazing camera work, it could turn into something great.
You have good taste. Resonance of Fate is one of the best religious JRPGs on the market. The villain quotes from a bible for like 30% of the story, and the lore from the villains perspective centers itself around the idea of God and what it means to lead a Faith.

From the heroes perspective, it's about leaving religion and getting off the tower and getting out of that system. You get both sides, and it's one of the most intelligent stories in a JRPG i've ever seen. But it was probably too intelligent, and its story seems lost on quite a lot of people. Doesn't help it has a cliffhanger ending where not all the knots were tied.

On the gameplay side, that sniper rifle being in Vashryon's closet was a big cocktease if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
You have good taste. Resonance of Fate is one of the best religious JRPGs on the market. The villain quotes from a bible for like 30% of the story, and the lore from the villains perspective centers itself around the idea of God and what it means to lead a Faith.

From the heroes perspective, it's about leaving religion and getting off the tower and getting out of that system. You get both sides, and it's one of the most intelligent stories in a JRPG i've ever seen. But it was probably too intelligent, and its story seems lost on quite a lot of people. Doesn't help it has a cliffhanger ending where not all the knots were tied.

On the gameplay side, that sniper rifle being in Vashryon's closet was a big cocktease if I ever saw one.

Oh yeah, the game did a lot, story wise. just a shame it didn't caught a lot of people's attention. I'd like to see a continuation of the story, of course. :)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
And that's why the game did so badly here. 'Fans' were crucifying it like it's a damn Neptunia game or something. Even a mediocre SW is still a fantastic RPG.
QFT that.That's why I think us SW fans must give a fight in order to persuade other people that Sakura wars is not a Neptunia game and it really is not just a silly dating sim game.
I mean I was at a discord chat today discussing the announcement with some other fans and someone posted this picture which he got from another place
Screenshot_20180414-142924.png

Yeah... you can see what's already happening :/

The game has a lot of heart in it as project and definitely contains some of the best jrpg female protagonists in videogames.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
On Reddit, someone said they wanted an ST game and said that it was a franchise that was dead and forgotten.

I responded by saying it was dead, but not forgotten.

Apparently, it's not dead either.

I AM EXCITED!!

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Cool!

Heard great things about this super niche series. Awesome news for those who played the one on PS2/Wii, and I possibly get a chance to experience the series myself.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Oh I know all that but this was really strange for the moment. Totally out of character with the rest of the cosplayers and all. I didn't even see such a cosplay at the one comiket I went to, although my guide book had a big ad for a place where you could buy all the nazi uniforms you want.

Also the funniest part of that story was that it was either Ogami's birthday or the actors birthday or something, so he and some of the side actors came out to greet us in line and wave and say hello while we clapped and all. When they passed by me they were like super shocked with the whole "oh why is a foreigner here?" Look for a second but then smiled and nodded. But when they passed the nazi cosplayer it was all normal smile and now. Ah Japan, never ceases to amaze me all these years I've lived here.
My moment with Mayumi Tanaka (Kanna) was like that. She was so shocked to see I had a Kayou show DVD to sign. It was like "Sugoi! Shin Saiyuki!"

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Sakura Wars in the 1940s sounds like Valkyria Chronicles, except you're technically the bad guys?
You are not the bad guys.
First of all WW1 and WW2 didn't happen in Sakura Wars.
Secondly it's the exact opposite, as you try to fight back the militarization of Japan and you even prevent a coup by the ground army forces in Sakura Wars 2

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Check out this timestamp:

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and Persona 5's vocalist sang the Sakura Taisen theme song together with the crowd to end off SEGA FES this year. Absolutely incredible stuff.

No way is this a mobile game. You can tell this is a huge passion project for them.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi and Persona 5's vocalist sang the Sakura Taisen theme song together with the crowd to end off SEGA FES this year. Absolutely incredible stuff.

No way is this a mobile game. You can tell this is a huge passion project for them.

Oh it's so good hearing that song sung always! My almost five year old daughter recently discovered it through listening to my anime music and she can sing it perfectly, especially Sakura's speech! She even sings it at kindergarten. Love this song. You still hear it on Japanese tv shows today still! What a nice way to end the fes!

Yeah I don't think it's a mobile game, it has to be at least PS4/switch for sure. And possible pc too. All I know is this, this game was by far the biggest announcement of the show, bar none. As much as I love Shenmue too, we all knew that was going to be announced sometime. But a return of Sakura Taisen, also going back to Tokyo and all, that was dream level above Shenmue and final fantasy vii put together for me.

Now the wait begins, but I don't mind. Take their time, make it perfect sega!

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

Magical!I almost cried hearing the song again ':(

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

It's an amazing song.

By the way, I did subs for the PC OP if anyone's interested:

(Yes, the translation project is still in the works)

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I love Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. Bless him

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never heard of this game. Be honest, guys, it's one of those niche games that's hyped on forums, isn't it?

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this game. Be honest, guys, it's one of those niche games that's hyped on forums, isn't it?

While niche in the west these games are not only massively popular in Japan, they've always been considered some of the best games Japan has made in recent years. The main dreamcast magazine in Japan had Sakura Taisen 3 listed as the greatest dreamcast game ever, over Shenmue and others.

The series is legit good. It's a great srpg, with fantastic stories, characters, and music. And interactive dialogue scenes that does the visual novel concept the right way. It's a fantastic series and it's literally a huge shame the vast majority of the series, especially it's best parts never made it west.

Like I said before, of all the annocements at the sega event this weekend, this was by far the biggest and best. Japanese fans are sure to be very happy for this news. It's been a long time coming. I just hope western gamers get another shot at the series.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope western gamers get another shot at the series.
After the success of Yakuza 0 which they followed up by releasing the remasters (with bad release schedule as they are overfeeding their customers), people can only be hopeful. And like you (or someone else) said earlier, SRPGs are more popular in the West these days (screw non-18+ Utawarerumono though).

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
After the success of Yakuza 0 which they followed up by releasing the remasters (with bad release schedule as they are overfeeding their customers), people can only be hopeful. And like you (or someone else) said earlier, SRPGs are more popular in the West these days (screw non-18+ Utawarerumono though).

I agree, I think the sega of today will be more willing to try the series out than before. It's always been a goal of theirs since their huge 2002 announcements about the series going west (that sadly didn't go completely as they planned even though V did eventually make it over.) And yeah SRPGs are more popular than ever in the west, and not to mention the growing popularity of visual novels (even though I wouldn't call Sakura Taisen a visual novel but it has elements similar to it.) Honestly with all the games we are seeing being released outside of Japan now a days, Sakura Taisen not coming would be a shock and just cruel to the western gaming world.

And we've already seen many of the big anime and Japanese focused gaming sites in the west talk about the news (although I was disappointed in the long period of mistranslations of the news yesterday about it.) but I was surprised many of the big sites didn't talk about it. Was shocked not to see it mentioned on kotaku for example.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
And we've already seen many of the big anime and Japanese focused gaming sites in the west talk about the news (although I was disappointed in the long period of mistranslations of the news yesterday about it.) but I was surprised many of the big sites didn't talk about it. Was shocked not to see itmention on kotaku about it for example.
I guess it's because Sega's legacy is pretty much a joke in comparison with how it should be. You would never guess Sega won the console war in NA and even more in Europe if you look at it today. Half of that is Sega's fault with their mismanagement of pretty much everything and half of it has to do with "Nintendo people" becoming reporters, editors etc in the gaming community. It always feels like Sega fans stopped playing (which could definitely be true in NA, I would want to see demographics of who owned a SNES and who owned a Mega Drive/Genesis) and at the same time aren't vocal at all. Also, with tons of games being released these days, a massively reduced legacy is doubly painful.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even outside JP game import, the anime tv series was licensed overseas.
I first knew the series from the anime played on tv station at "prime time slot for cartoon".

Please don't remind me, I'm still salty a Sakura Taisen TV series was produced when the late 90s Tengai Makyo anime project was dropped ;p

Oct 25, 2017

Damn this is great. It's a shame the announcement has gotten downplay since it really is a big thing, but I guess that's the result of its lack of presence in the West. They were smart to have Shenmue show up as well as it's more familiar to Western audiences, but I'm really hoping they're aiming for the new ST to be another case of VC4 worldwide.