JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Could we get some clarification as to the in-universe date? I'm seeing suggestions from '29 years later' to '1929, in the Taisho period'

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RED/Overworks really did their research in each area they tried to represent from Taisho era Japan, to Paris, to 1920s New York. You can't say they didn't do their homework. And more so composer Kohei Tanaka demonstrated massive talent in showing off these ranges. This resonances as well in the Live Musicals.

Speaking of RED, are they still around? I wonder who is developing this time.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've gotten so much excitement out, looking at the little information we have, I'm very happy with what we're told. One, glad it's set in Tokyo. Was always my favorite setting of the games and it makes sense to go back. Second the date Taishō 29, very interesting. In real life Taishō ended much sooner as has been said before. If we go by the original colanders that would make this 1940. So there should be some nice advances in technology to those steampunk mecha I'm sure. I would expect this being an alternate universe we won't be seeing any WWII stuff of course but I do wonder what type of world we will be in this Taishō 29. And then this leads to the characters. Hopefully some will return as mentors to new members of the Teikoku kagekidan. Would love to see everyone return in some form or another. Would be a kick to even get a new baragumi as well.

My fears though are simple. Taking this from a Japanese gamer perspective, is this PS4/Switch or is it cell phone? My hopes are the former. Seems more and more these days Japanese game companies are going back to the console route. Plus Sakura Taisen fans will expect and demand a game worthy of its legacy. Second as I said earlier in the thread, the designs. The world of games and anime has changed dramatically in the 22 years since game 1. I'm hoping for a balanced style that blends the good aspects of today's games with a more mature look and feel the original games have. But if it goes too moe that will be a major disappointment.

But we will have to wait and see. I really do hope this is all we hope for and is the rebirth the series deserves. I've waited so long for this to come back. I'm hoping we get a great game and of course all the other great multimedia goodies we got with the series first go around.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
How about the manga?
I've never read it so I can't really say much about it sadly. Been meaning to go back and pick them up sometime but I just never had the chance.

Could we get some clarification as to the in-universe date? I'm seeing suggestions from '29 years later' to '1929, in the Taisho period'

The Japanese site says it's Taishō 29, not 29 years later. Probably some confusion as there is no Taishō 29 but this is an alternate universe world Sakura Taisen is in. Plus probably not a good idea to put this in a Shōwa era that would be the same time as WWII

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
They very well could do a in universe take on WWII somehow. The series was always known as taking on historical figures and making them the nemesis. Perhaps an alternative Japan where Germany invades instead

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
My fears though are simple. Taking this from a Japanese gamer perspective, is this PS4/Switch or is it cell phone?
Could be on PC as well, considering it got releases there before. I just hope it won't be digital only and limited to awful Steam then. Some limited edition would be awesome...but ideally some larger limited edition which includes the former games + their artbooks, OST etc (I missed the one back in 2006).

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've never read it so I can't really say much about it sadly. Been meaning to go back and pick them up sometime but I just never had the chance.

The Japanese site says it's Taishō 29, not 29 years later. Probably some confusion as there is no Taishō 29 but this is an alternate universe world Sakura Taisen is in. Plus probably not a good idea to put this in a Shōwa era that would be the same time as WWII

Taisho 29 would be 1941.

This naming convention is based of the old style of Emperor's Era name + Years in power.

So last year was Heisei 29, aka 29th year of the reIgn of Emperor Akihito, whose reign name is Heisei. Interesting coincidence, if you ask me. This year is the Heisei 30.

Sakura Wars OG is set the fictional Taisho 16, IIRC. The Real Taisho Emperor died in our world on the 15th year of his reign. Given the time skip, I guess this is a soft reboot/sequel.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Could be on PC as well, considering it got releases there before. I just hope it won't be digital only and limited to awful Steam then. Some limited edition would be awesome...but ideally some larger limited edition which includes the former games + their artbooks, OST etc (I missed the one back in 2006).

Oh of course, I expect a steam release if it gets localized. As for Japan where I live and all it could happen but I'm more concerned that it's not a cell phone game.

I do expect huge limited editions for sure. The series is well known for it. I remember getting the one for Sakura Taisen 3 that included a music box which was very nice.

But yeah what you bring up also should be noted, will we get remasters of the old games? I could see it happen as it's been done before. It would be nice.

Dec 23, 2017
All this Sakura Wars talk makes me want to play it lol.

Outside of the PS2/Wii game, I'd basically have to import the other games, right? Wish there was a Sakura Wars Collection or something. :) I can't read japanese though.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
There was a collection on Dreamcast too. (Which I wish I got as well)

Other points of entry, Sakura Taisen 1/2 is available on the PSP as well.

Or there's the Okayish Remake of Sakura Taisen 1 on the PS2. Although I'd reccommend playing the 1 ( and 2) on Dreamcast or PSP over that. Atsuki Chishio ni was a bit of a halfassed remake unfortunately.

I mean if you were patient enough, there was faqs out there that had some pretty indepth translations of the entire games scripts or close to. Sakura Taisen 3 was my very first import and when I started to learn some Japanese personally. But I played ST 1/2/3/4 alongside these script faqs in the day.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
There was a collection on Dreamcast too. (Which I wish I got as well)

Other points of entry, Sakura Taisen 1/2 is available on the PSP as well.

Or there's the Okayish Remake of Sakura Taisen 1 on the PS2. Although I'd reccommend playing the 1 ( and 2) on Dreamcast or PSP over that. Atsuki Chishio ni was a bit of a halfassed remake unfortunately.

I mean if you were patient enough, there was faqs out there that had some pretty indepth translations of the entire games scripts or close to. Sakura Taisen 3 was my very first import and when I started to learn some Japanese personally. But I played ST 1/2/3/4 alongside these script faqs in the day.

Yeah those scripts are very helpful for first time players. Even if they aren't perfect they'll help you enjoy the game.

Also regarding collections, one option is to look online for used dreamcast copies of 1-4. Quick look just now at some sites in Japan shows they are pretty cheap. Problem though will be finding a place that will ship them abroad. The psp version of 1+2 is good too but I recommend the dreamcast ones since you can continue your saves and stories through all four games

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh of course, I expect a steam release if it gets localized. As for Japan where I live and all it could happen but I'm more concerned that it's not a cell phone game.

I do expect huge limited editions for sure. The series is well known for it. I remember getting the one for Sakura Taisen 3 that included a music box which was very nice.

But yeah what you bring up also should be noted, will we get remasters of the old games? I could see it happen as it's been done before. It would be nice.
I don't care about the localization, so I would probably just import the limited edition then. VNs usually don't require Steam but Sega is pretty different in size, so who knows whether they will also implement it in the Japanese version. But yeah, it being a mobile phone game is also a huge concern. Too many series went down that road already.

Meh, I only have standard versions. These days though, with publishers abandoning physical releases/including online DRM like Steam, I can spend all my money on those limited ones.

There was, in mandarin, for the PC.
The one I mentioned before is on PC in Japanese.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Kinda sad, finally Budokan Live 2, and absolutely skipping over any time it's the NY Girls . But realistically that bias is what led the series to its demise. Sakura Taisen 3 was a legitimately great game, but Japan was far too attached to the Teito girls. Meanwhile New York uh, I'm not sure if that's just Japan being biased or things didn't click there ultimately. Can't say I cared much for the STAR division I suppose.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at some of my calendars here at home and some Japanese conversion calendars online, Taishō 29 would be 1940 not 1941.

Either way, that would be World War 2 territory, which is... a potentially 'curious' period in which to set the game. Wonder if they'll go the 'never happened because demons' route, or actually try to integrate it.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the localization, so I would probably just import the limited edition then. VNs usually don't require Steam but Sega is pretty different in size, so who knows whether they will also implement it in the Japanese version. But yeah, it being a mobile phone game is also a huge concern. Too many series went down that road already.

Meh, I only have standard versions. These days though, with publishers abandoning physical releases/including online DRM like Steam, I can spend all my money on those limited ones.

The one I mentioned before is on PC in Japanese.

Good point, there's a chance they could release it outside of steam. also like you said and I actually forgot, Sakura Taisen has a history of being on PC in Japan. I could see it happen, but who knows. Pc market here is so strange these days. It's hard to get a grasp of it most of the time.

I have a gut feeling it won't be a mobile game. I think Sega knows what series are good for that route and what aren't. They know their fan base will want a full blown game. Especially after disappointments like the day game from a decade back. But until we get a real reveal I'll keep my hopes up but in check just in case. The only "mobile" I want to play a Sakura Taisen on these days would be a switch.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
If they continue the storyline, setting will be interwar Berlin and Ratchet will be the new girls instructor.

I hope they localise it. If visual novels with 1 million+ text lines are translated, why not Sakura Taisen too

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Either way, that would be World War 2 territory, which is... a potentially 'curious' period in which to set the game. Wonder if they'll go the 'never happened because demons' route, or actually try to integrate it.

That would make it very interesting indeed. Of course since we are talking about Japan, 1940 they would've been well into their conflicts in Asia already. I'm going to take a guess and say they will avoid it like the plague. Especially since this series is sold outside Japan and all. I wouldn't be surprised if we got something similar though with a demon take on it. But since they are not going into a Shōwa era, I'll say the war as we know it is outta there

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they continue the storyline, setting will be interwar Berlin and Ratchet will be the new girls instructor.

I hope they localise it. If visual novels with 1 million+ text lines are translated, why not Sakura Taisen too

Why Rachet when you have Leni, in Berlin.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I have Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 on PSP.

Wish it was fan-translated, but Gamefaqs walkthrough covers both, and while not perfect, I could read (very) minimal Japanese at least.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
It could very well be a demonic Germany or something similar. There's some basis for activity from Germany considering the origins of Orihime/Reni/Rachettes unit.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That would make it very interesting indeed. Of course since we are talking about Japan, 1940 they would've been well into their conflicts in Asia already. I'm going to take a guess and say they will avoid it like the plague. Especially since this series is sold outside Japan and all. I wouldn't be surprised if we got something similar though with a demon take on it. But since they are not going into a Shōwa era, I'll say the war as we know it is outta there

It could very well be a demonic Germany or something similar. There's some basis for activity from Germany considering the origins of Orihime/Reni/Rachettes unit.

Yeah, nixing at least the Asian campaign and focusing on a demonic Germany would seem more likely, but we'll see.

That said, it would be kinda neat to punch demon Hitler in the face with a mech.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
HkMg62N.gif

OMG HYYYYYYYPE!!!

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
I have a gut feeling it won't be a mobile game. I think Sega knows what series are good for that route and what aren't. They know their fan base will want a full blown game. Especially after disappointments like the day game from a decade back. But until we get a real reveal I'll keep my hopes up but in check just in case. The only "mobile" I want to play a Sakura Taisen on these days would be a switch.
Luckily, I never really hope for anything, so I will never get disappointed. This especially applies to Sega who have too many great IPs just lying around, aren't doing anything with them and have disappointed us too many times on different fronts already. They are like a monkey's paw in company form.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Hope it's for PC too, seems a good fit, VN + Tactics game. Just finished watching the 25 ep anime the other day and it was superb, ready to get into 5 now (yeah, different characters/region etc., probably for the best over a constant retread).

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as I am going thru memory lane. It's just quite amazing how much was packed into these shows. Taiko performances/plays/skit sequences/musical numbers and live performances.

Also the way the fans interacted with the shows were great. The cheering and more at times was like a western show or something you would see certain people doing at kabuki/Takarazuka performances. Also usually at the end when they would all salute the fans would do the same thing. I remember when I went I was caught off guard by it but I joined along in the fun.

Also lots of good cosplay. Although there was also some very questionable ones. For instance the show I went to, there was a guy just two people in front of me in line in a full 100% accurate nazi SS uniform. That was a shock to see. Made no sense of course.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the way the fans interacted with the shows were great. The cheering and more at times was like a western show or something you would see certain people doing at kabuki/Takarazuka performances. Also usually at the end when they would all salute the fans would do the same thing. I remember when I went I was caught off guard by it but I joined along in the fun.

Also lots of good cosplay. Although there was also some very questionable ones. For instance the show I went to, there was a guy just two people in front of me in line in a full 100% accurate nazi SS uniform. That was a shock to see. Made no sense of course.

JP people cosplay that because the uniforms look good (it was Hugo Boss after all), and not much education on WW2.

Sakura Taisen does have a slight military setting.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I AM SO IN.

I've loved the Sakura Taisen characters after playing the Project X games. Let's goooo!

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it's for PC too, seems a good fit, VN + Tactics game. Just finished watching the 25 ep anime the other day and it was superb, ready to get into 5 now (yeah, different characters/region etc., probably for the best over a constant retread).

Quick question if you don't mine, did you play Sakura Taisen 1 before watching the anime? Cause I mean, I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say it was superb. I'm quite surprised by that. But I could see some thinking that that haven't played the game. I'm glad someone enjoyed it though. Even though I thought it was a betrayal to the original game.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I actually didn't mind the TV series (but everyone else around me like the Sakura Taisen community I was part of back then did) It's a grimdark alternative take for what it is. But I enjoyed despite being different.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Many fans hate the anime series, but surprisingly, I love it. It is a much heavier and darker take on the story. I do think that anime and game are different medium, and the creators can tell the story in different ways.

BTW, V is also widely regarded as the "weird" entry of the series. If you enjoy it, you will no doubt love the first four games.

On a side note, this announcement really catches me off guard. I do not believe SEGA would actually do another one, and I am so happy to be proven wrong. I has never been so enthusiastic towards a gaming announcement before. This feeling is awesome.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
JP people cosplay that because the uniforms look good (it was Hugo Boss after all), and not much education on WW2.

Sakura Taisen does have a slight military setting.

Oh I know all that but this was really strange for the moment. Totally out of character with the rest of the cosplayers and all. I didn't even see such a cosplay at the one comiket I went to, although my guide book had a big ad for a place where you could buy all the nazi uniforms you want.

Also the funniest part of that story was that it was either Ogami's birthday or the actors birthday or something, so he and some of the side actors came out to greet us in line and wave and say hello while we clapped and all. When they passed by me they were like super shocked with the whole "oh why is a foreigner here?" Look for a second but then smiled and nodded. But when they passed the nazi cosplayer it was all normal smile and now. Ah Japan, never ceases to amaze me all these years I've lived here.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't mind the TV series (but everyone else around me like the Sakura Taisen community I was part of back then did) It's a grimdark alternative take for what it is. But I enjoyed despite being different.

I think I would've like it had it not taken so many liberties with the game. In some ways that can be cool but it really dampened my feel towards it. However I will give it credit, the kouma war episode was great! I'm still a bit angry sega never ever spoke of their plan about making a game about it after announcing it once, but I'm grateful we at least got that episode

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
The announcement feels like they're crazy early, and there's probably staff crossover with VC4 which just came out, so I dunno, I'm not really expecting to see anything else this year.

I gotta agree. The announcement today is basically they just started the project. Probably hear something next year. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the game got a big unveiling like they used to give Sakura Taisen games. It certainly deserves one.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is confirmed at least a Switch game based on the 'new platform' thing?

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Great news. Back in the Saturn and Dreamcast days this series was so exotic and strange, whereas nowadays it would fit right in among the anime game crowd. How times change.

Now, make the new one more like 3 and less like 5, please.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Why Rachet when you have Leni, in Berlin.

Leni maybe will make a cameo. Watch the anime of Sakura Wars 5. It takes place after the events of the game and mentions Ratchet's departure to Berlin to establish a new group.
That city with all the debauchery of the time will be a perfect breeding ground for demons

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leni maybe will make a cameo. Watch the anime of Sakura Wars 5. It takes place after the events of the game and mentions Ratchet's departure to Berlin to establish a new group.
That city with all the debauchery of the time will be a perfect breeding ground for demons

Yeah but it has been years....We can have both even.