• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What's sad is, this isn't the worst post I've read on ERA.

But that's not an endorsement. I think my eyes rolled into the back of my head reading this post.
yea you can fuck off with that noise

if a game is trying to be international, (like a square enix game for example) then yes, international release/localization is to be expected. if a game is trying to be traditional and incorporate regional culture in some way (like the yakuza series), localizations should be delayed.

SEGA is pretty good about this though. Yakuza releases are on a delay and they have an unlocalized MMO on the market. I'll continue to support them for it. I think SEGA is the right company to release a game like this.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing one of these games while not knowing a lick of Japanese. Maybe by the time this comes out I will be able to actually read it.

Some info from the event

-We decided to make it after it won the franchise revival poll
-It has been 13 years since Sakura Taisen 5, we are making something that's good on latest platform with great contents
-The CEO himself is leading the project and will deliver "best quality possible," and Sega group is working their best for this.
-Will have announcement event later

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=208623

Maybe there is still hope for a new Virtua Fighter.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this was sudden. I loved Sakura Wars 5 and I'm cautiously optimistic for this. I only hope it's got an interesting set of characters and good character design. It would be very disappointing were it to turn out to be another otaku bait game.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
The concept of Sakura is unique to japan so i hope they dont make the game with foreigners in mind. Being afraid to cater to your own society first is dumb.

They can localize it when its done and the dev resources are spent

A unique concept does not mean a game should not be localized. What is so special about this game?

At what point did someone say they should cater to anyone first? Obviously the game would be made for japan first no one else has been able to play the majority of this series.

I assume this series is special to you since you are protective of it. Wouldn't you want others to experience how good it is?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

if a game is trying to be international, (like a square enix game for example) then yes, international release/localization is to be expected. if a game is trying to be traditional and incorporate regional culture in some way (like the yakuza series), localizations should be delayed.

SEGA is pretty good about this though. Yakuza releases are on a delay and they have an unlocalized MMO on the market. I'll continue to support them for it.

What the hell are you smoking where delayed localization is a virtue? Simultaneous (or less than a year) localization =/= Westernization!!!

You want to talk about "Noise"? Your posts in this thread have been Noise.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
With the massive popularity XCOM and espeiclally Fire Emblem, Sega would be crazy to leave their strategy series unlocalized for the West.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Friends, Noroi_Kisaragi is clearly joking... Come on now. :P

Let's go back to having our minds blown that a new Sakura Wars game was announced!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
A unique concept does not mean a game should not be localized. What is so special about this game?

At what point did someone say they should cater to anyone first? Obviously the game would be made for japan first no one else has been able to play the majority of this series.

I assume this series is special to you since you are protective of it. Wouldn't you want others to experience how good it is?

With the massive popularity XCOM and espeiclally Fire Emblem, Sega would be crazy to leave their strategy series unlocalized for the West.

I don't know what you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but Japanese Exclusivity is a huge part of it!

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I always thought that Sakura Wars was one of those franchises that just sort of kept going but it turns out the last game was released in 2005.

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell are you smoking where delayed localization is a virtue? Simultaneous (or less than a year) localization =/= Westernization!!!

You want to talk about "Noise"? Your posts in this thread have been Noise.
For someone named Saber, you aren't very good at Sabre Rattling.

I'm flat out not OK with asking devs to cater to foreigners when their game is centric on the culture of a specific region. This isn't the case of just japan. Any country, any game. I'm against globalization on all forms and a selfish gamer demanding a dev cater to their culture, when said game isn't even intended for that culture in the first place.

Sickening. Anyway, we won't see eye to eye on this issue so let's move on.

Oct 25, 2017

SEGA is pretty good about this though. Yakuza releases are on a delay and they have an unlocalized MMO on the market. I'll continue to support them for it. I think SEGA is the right company to release a game like this.
The series of posts that you've made is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on the internet, and I've been on the internet for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if your posts become a meme or something. Do you seriously want a game to not be localized just because not all Americans will understand the symbolism behind cherry blossoms? Or are you just trolling?

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, if it has to change itself to fit the tastes of the west.

Let's make the male protag a gruff 30-40 year old man who is also a dad (white is optional), let's remove all the quirky japan humour, let's par dow.n the musicals since western gamers hate musicals/vocals, let's change the design of the Kobu and make it More Titanfall/Mechwarroor.

We have enough cultural imperialism these days coming out from the west as it is.

Last edited:

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Spectacular news. I hope (and think) that they'll localize this.

SEGA sees the value in localizing their niche games now and I believe that a game like Sakura Wars can have a chance in the western market depending on how they handle the localization.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
For someone named Saber, you aren't very good at Sabre Rattling.

I'm flat out not OK with asking devs to cater to foreigners when their game is centric on the culture of a specific region. This isn't the case of just japan. Any country, any game. I'm against globalization on all forms and a selfish gamer demanding a dev cater to their culture, when said game isn't even intended for that culture in the first place.

Sickening. Anyway, we won't see eye to eye on this issue so let's move on.

Let's make the male protag a gruff 30-40 year old man who is also a dad (white is optional), let's remove all the quirky japan humour, let's par dow.n the musicals since western gamers hate musicals/vocals, let's change the design of the Kobu and make it More Titanfall/Mechwarroor.

We have enough cultural imperialism these days coming out from the west as it is.

Nobody says it has to change, Jesus, just people hoping for a quick localization there.
Some really need some reading skills...

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Excited even if they have to use a new team guided by the old hands (Loved the Ouji/Tanaka/Fujishima+Matsubara combi) since it's been so long and everything like the idol / idol seiyuu boom happened after that too.

Oct 25, 2017
No if it has to change itself to fit the tastes of the west.

We have enough cultural imperialism as it is.
To be honest, I don't see anything wrong if, for example, a joke literally makes no sense in English. Japanese is full of pun oriented humor and references to various cultural events that a vast majority of other countries will not understand. America has the latter, every other country on Earth has it too.

Some of the best localizations in video game history are able to find jokes and sayings that are extremely similar or almost identical in terms of base meaning or significance, even if they can't find something that works exactly.

The benefit of localizations is for the people who live in the country it's meant for, and if it means changing a pun or joke or reference to something that will resonate with the consumer, as long as it's reasonably close to what the original was going for, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SW5 setting in America is a prime example of trying to appeal to western market but failed. But hey, today westerners like those Japanese-ass Japanese games, just look at Persona. Localizing those games won't kill their Japanese identity.

Plus it's not like old SW games were never localized. 1-4 all have official Chinese translation.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody says it has to change, Jesus, just people hoping for a quick localization there.
No if it has to change itself to fit the tastes of the west.

We have enough cultural imperialism as it is.

You get it. They'll say "It's just a translation, bro!" and ignore the corporate realities involved that once you start making a game for a foreign country, you have to make marketing decisions that can alter the content of your game. Characters, story, nuance, censorship and other things that pile up and threaten the identity of the game. Devs have to accomodate, and the original target audience of the game is lost.

If a game establishes itself as international in the first place, and SEGA has such IPs like Sonic, it's really no problem. And Japan has no shortage of international games getting released. But when a game tries to be more than that and tailor itself to a specific culture or region, then it should only take into account the demographics of that region. For that reason, a delay in localization is necessary.

Localizing an already released japanese game is far more harmless than starting localization early in the process. On some level, I think people at SEGA understands and respects this pretty well. I trust SEGA to handle the release of this game well, they have a good track record on it.

Oct 25, 2017
You get it. They'll say "It's just a translation, bro!" and ignore the corporate realities involved that once you start making a game for a foreign country, you have to make marketing decisions that can alter the content of your game. Characters, story, nuance, censorship and other things that pile up and threaten the identity of the game. Devs have to accomodate, and the original target audience of the game is lost.

If a game establishes itself as international in the first place, and SEGA has such IPs like Sonic, it's really no problem. And Japan has no shortage of international games getting released. But when a game tries to be more than that and tailor itself to a specific culture or region, then it should only take into account the demographics of that region. For that reason, a delay in localization is necessary.

Localizing an already released japanese game is far more harmless than starting localization early in the process. On some level, I think people at SEGA understands and respects this pretty well. I trust SEGA to handle the release of this game well, they have a good track record on it.
I think you're under the impression that the localization team has some sort of direct impact on the development of a game.

Not only that I think you have a mistaken impression of how game development actually works. As someone who is actually been on a team, I can tell you that game development is a constant stream of compromises - asking upper management about character design decisions, asking various testers that you bring into the studio about certain things, and involves a lot more people than just the staff creating the game.

Game development is not a hermetically-sealed artistic vision. It is a collaboration of external factors and the internal factors. I have never ever heard of a localization team that is localizing a game having a major impact on the content of a game, and even if they did, it would most likely be for the better.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I respect you dude, so I will answer you.

But I am naming a specific context of making this game ground up to cater to the west via developer intent, not whatever localization of a completed game .

They tried once with STV, and it didnt work that well and It resulted in the death of the series for almost 2 decades.

They can localize all they want, same day or not, no fan wants to see their series languish in obscurity, but please don't westernize it. Western game markers already "win" enough as it is.

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Please don't be moe blob trash. In the old games, there was always one. Don't make that the whole cast.

Can you imagine if instead of caberet performers, they were idols. They confirmed it's in Japan. How about the period?

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017

If you think anyone cares about these games being localized would want any of those changes your crazy.

Also I'm pretty sure a team in charge of translating text into English does not dictate character design, music, story etc.

Oct 27, 2017
They can localize all they want, same day or not, no fan wants to see their series languish in obscurity, but please don't westernize it. Western game markers already "win" enough as it is.
You're giving them ground. This is how the globalists win. Localization is westernization, there is no difference. No dev in their right mind would strictly translate literally a japanese game. Devs that try it are mocked even on Era. (see: Ys VIII). No videogame publisher in their right mind would develop an international game without taking into account international opinion. However, textual translations are usually pretty harmless. A game centered on japanese culture isn't.

Japanese culture has a lot of shit westerners don't like. A traditional game like Sakura Wars is going to incorporate that shit. Fucking deal with it.

My boy Kamiya knows what's up.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think anyone cares about these games being localized would want any of those changes your crazy.

Also I'm pretty sure a team in charge of translating text into English does not dictate character design, music, story etc.

Context of my post is that they tried it before, though not to the level i outlined in my posts.

I am ok with the removal of truly cringely stuff,. But Sakura Wars always had had more class than other bishoujo games, even in its time,
so I am not sure if it is needed.

Last edited:

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Eh .. We have a lot of complainers here asking why JRPG protagonists are not some middle aged "mature" dude with beard.
I don't think what he wrote is really that crazy.
The localization team might not dictate the content, but if the developer thinks of global release, they will take into account taste of western gamers.
This is what happens with FF. The latest one is pretty much aimed at dudebro western gamers.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh .. We have a lot of complainers here asking why JRPG protagonists are not some middle aged "mature" dude with beard.
I don't think what he wrote is really that crazy.
The localization team might not dictate the content, but if the developer thinks of global release, they will take into account taste of western gamers.
This is what happens with FF. The latest one is pretty much aimed at dudebro western gamers.

Yes, quite a bit is targeted at Xenoblade.

The original Nier also was praised for its "father Nier" protag in the Gestalt version, while "brother Nier" was trashed endlessly.

Dec 23, 2017
As someone who loves Japanese games and niche games, what is Sakura Wars? I hear about it here and there but always wondered what it was.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Here's a link I found with the results:

https://www.segalization.com/2016/1...results-revealed-sakura-wars-takes-victories/

Sakura Taisen won big but second was Jet Set Radio with a nice vote total. Also Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Skies of Arcadia, and Shining Force made the top 10. Hopefully those series one day get restarted, especially virtua fighter and panzer dragoon

Yeah, I read about it a few minutes ago. A JSRF remaster should be a lock I'd say !

Oct 27, 2017
I have never ever heard of a localization team that is localizing a game having a major impact on the content of a game

OK, you need to be educated on this a bit. Because it's specific to Japan recently.

https://slator.com/features/japanese-game-fans-to-nintendo-we-want-translated-not-localized-games/

This is Nintendo.
This goes over and touches upon everything I listed in my post.
I think you will take into account what actual game developers are saying about this issue.

Localizing Before Product Is Finished
Fans Cry Censorship

Nintendo is knee deep in this shit and the fans are pissed. SEGA seems to be their saving grace right now.

and even if they did, it would most likely be for the better.
that is subjective and you know it