RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Great news! I liked Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love when I got it for $20 on my Wii a few years ago, so I'm definitely interested in this. Hopefully, it gets localized!

Oct 25, 2017
This was a nice surprise, and honestly the thing I was most glad to see in the presentation. Even if the West has missed most of the series it always seemed weird that it ended the way it did considering how much of a large presence it had in Japan. Also seeing Sega actually be willing to give an old IP another shot, and based on the fan polling no less, shows the positive chances they're willing to take just like with VC. It also seems like a series that could've been doing really well given the success of similar games in its....number of genres. Hell if they could get modern Kohei Tanaka back on the music and with some budget then you'd already have a runner for the GOAT of that year based on music alone.

Also for anyone wanting an idea of the franchise as a whole, I recall this video being a pretty comprehensive detail of the passion behind its inception and its successes from then until when it dropped off the map (does contain spoilers).

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
:x

220px-Sakura_Wars-_So_Long%2C_My_Love_-_Cover.jpg

Edit: beat x2

PS2, Wii, Year of the Lord Two-Thousand-and-Ten. Game had been out for five years in Japan by that point, and it was NISA that localized it instead of Sega.

Success Recipe Confirmed.

EDIT: And apparently localization work on it took literally longer than the game's development in the first place.

Byakura

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
noooo fucking way!

but I can't shake the feeling it's probably a mobile game or something. I'll take what I can get I suppose lol

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
PS2, Wii, Year of the Lord Two-Thousand-and-Ten. Game had been out for five years in Japan by that point, and it was NISA that localized it instead of Sega.

EDIT: And apparently localization work on it took literally longer than the game's development in the first place.
NISA also did things "right" for the PS2 version and it has a disc with English voices and a disc with Japanese voices. The Wii port (which was made for the US, iirc) only has English.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Some info from the event

-We decided to make it after it won the franchise revival poll
-It has been 13 years since Sakura Taisen 5, we are making something that's good on latest platform with great contents
-The CEO himself is leading the project and will deliver "best quality possible," and Sega group is working their best for this.
-Will have announcement event later

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=208623

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

The PS2 version was a success at the time having above average sales, but it couldn't offset the huge bomb that it was the wii version.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, seems like it's gonna be a big release. They even made a napkin to commemorate its project announcement.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
NISA also did things "right" for the PS2 version and it has a disc with English voices and a disc with Japanese voices. The Wii port (which was made for the US, iirc) only has English.

Yeah honestly everything around SW5's localization comes across as a massive "What were they thinking?" in regards to such an absurdly expensive localization process for such a niche game.

The sad part is, from what I've read is that Sega tried multiple times prior to localize Sakura Wars 3 and 4, but every time they managed to pass internal hurdles they got shot down by Sony and/or the Retail Mafia (Thank god for the Digital revolution), and Persona 4's success making Sony & Retail begin to take anime games seriously is basically the only reason SW5 localization was able to be a reality at all.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

You forgot it being like, the last PS2 localized games ever made.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Sega, thank you. For those who are wondering what this is, I happily introduce you this amazing video from Sakura Wars 3.

Damn, I lost count of how many times I watched this intro video back in the time when it had just been released in Japan without any hope of a western release. :(

I made that thread, and in doing so, channeled everyone's dreams and revived the franchise.

You're welcome.
Sure, good job. :D

The PS2 version was a success at the time having above average sales, but it couldn't offset the huge bomb that it was the wii version.
Wasn't the Wii release US/Europe only?

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
So whats the big deal with this franchise? Didn't even know any of these got ported until this thread.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
This was the only surprise to me, though I pray they don't change the artstyle

Personally I want them to go back to the styles done like the first two games. The characters looked perfect then. The fifth game however had too many characters that looked to young thanks to the "moe" boom. Bring back the styles like the original and I'll be happy.

However I know the chances of that happening are slim to none.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
interesting
never tried Sakura Wars
looked for the wii version but never found it
might try this one or the wii one if they ever make it an e-shop downoad

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

The extra bizarre part of that is that NISA didn't pick it. Red approached Idea Factory to make the Wii port of 5, and IF recommend NISA for the localization. Sega and/or Red always intended 5 to get localized ever since it came out according to the quickly abandoned world project (fortunately we were spared the prequel).

I don't know if Sega West was annoyed at the Sakura Wars 5 localization, but they did make sure to release three niche Sega Japan games the same month: Resonance of Fate, Infinite Space, and Yakuza 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Localization begging should be bannable
Reasoning? Same as port begging

Not every game needs a port. Not every game needs a localization and cherry blossoms is specific to japan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know man. There is a difference between getting a different console, and learning Japanese.
The concept of Sakura is unique to japan so i hope they dont make the game with foreigners in mind. Being afraid to cater to your own society first is dumb.

They can localize it when its done and the dev resources are spent

Oct 28, 2017
Please please please be an actual console/PC content filled title like the others. Sakura Wars V was fantastic, and one of the reasons I originally learned how to read kanji was so I could play the others. Any amount of money if this is a mainline entry in the series.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely elated. This is fantastic news. This is a series that does not deserve to die

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
OH GOD YES
Some info from the event

-We decided to make it after it won the franchise revival poll
-It has been 13 years since Sakura Taisen 5, we are making something that's good on latest platform with great contents
-The CEO himself is leading the project and will deliver "best quality possible," and Sega group is working their best for this.
-Will have announcement event later

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=208623
THE POLL MATTERED!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Localization begging should be bannable
Reasoning? Same as port begging

Not every game needs a port. Not every game needs a localization and cherry blossoms is specific to japan

What's sad is, this isn't the worst post I've read on ERA.

But that's not an endorsement. I think my eyes rolled into the back of my head reading this post.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Hopefully we get Hiro Ouji, alongside with Hidenori Matsubara (of course Kosuke Fujishima as well) It wouldn't be Sakura Taisen without Fujishima/Matsubara