ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves Japanese games and niche games, what is Sakura Wars? I hear about it here and there but always wondered what it was.

It's a long running SRPG series where you play as a leader of a group of girls that has been given the duty to fight demons. These girls also are part of a theater troop modeled after the real life Takarazuka theater group in Japan. The game not only consists of srpg battles but also scenes where you interact with the characters through conversations where you must make quick decisions on replies. Those replies with either raise those characters like or dislike of you which plays a part in the battles. Of course those also leads to your character eventually building a relationship with one of those characters by games end.

The games are also done in the style of an anime series. Each mission is set as part of an episode of a series. It's the closest thing you get to a real anime feel in a video game (along with the great amazing Playstation shooter Geppy X)

In its heyday the series was huge in Japan. Not only were their games but anime series and a huge feature film. It had its own store which was amazing, as well as live shows with the casts performing as their characters like the characters do in the game. I got to go to one of these way back in 2002 and it was amazing. And of course lots of merchandise, pachinko games and more. You can still hear it's music at times played on tv shows here in Japan too!

It's kinda surprising it's taken this long for the series to return but considering that ST5 wasn't as big as the previous games, it was probably best for a rest. But simply put, most of the games in the series are some of the finest games ever made in Japan. It's a shame that Sakura Taisen 1-4 never made it west. The first two especially considering how good they are. Fantastic series, one of my all time faves. So happy it's back!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they localize it. Would be awesome if they gave us the old games too, but one step at a time.

Oct 27, 2017
Actual quote from Reggie Fils Aime, president of nintendo in america.
Nintendo of America's President Reggie Fils-Aime says "there's a simple collection of words that we use to define how we think about [what gets localized]: It's 'cultural relevance' and 'understanding of the ratings and ratings implications.'" Indeed, the main idea behind the move is to make Nintendo's localized games easier to sell in cultural markets where a single change in character clothing, for instance, can lower an age rating.

Where Nintendo focuses a lot on "censoring" original content, it's not localization, but culturalization. The kicker is that most fans of Japanese games brought to Western shores actually like them precisely because they are culturally exotic, quirky, or simply different. One comment on the video put it simply: "we want translated games, not localized games."

As you see, the idea that game translations don't effect the game itself is fiction, and not practiced in the real world. Localizing before a game is finished is a real issue. I don't really care about it when it comes to international games like Mega Man, Sonic, Street Fighter, etc. but when it's a niche title or something that is supposed to appeal to regional culture it becomes a real fucking problem.

Understand the issue, guys.

If you're going to disregard the president of Nintendo himself, you are already lost and there is no coming back.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
It's a long running SRPG series where you play as a leader of a group of girls that has been given the duty to fight demons. These girls also are part of a theater troop modeled after the real life Takarazuka theater group in Japan. The game not only consists of srpg battles but also scenes where you interact with the characters through conversations where you must make quick decisions on replies. Those replies with either raise those characters like or dislike of you which plays a part in the battles. Of course those also leads to your character eventually building a relationship with one of those characters by games end.

The games are also done in the style of an anime series. Each mission is set as part of an episode of a series. It's the closest thing you get to a real anime feel in a video game (along with the great amazing Playstation shooter Geppy X)

In its heyday the series was huge in Japan. Not only were their games but anime series and a huge feature film. It had its own store which was amazing, as well as live shows with the casts performing as their characters like the characters do in the game. I got to go to one of these way back in 2002 and it was amazing. And of course lots of merchandise, pachinko games and more. You can still hear it's music at times played on tv shows here in Japan too!

It's kinda surprising it's taken this long for the series to return but considering that ST5 wasn't as big as the previous games, it was probably best for a rest. But simply put, most of the games in the series are some of the finest games ever made in Japan. It's a shame that Sakura Taisen 1-4 never made it west. The first two especially considering how good they are. Fantastic series, one of my all time faves. So happy it's back!

Oh I see! Thanks for the insight! That kind of reminds me of the game ''Evil Zone'' with its anime cutscenes and episodic sections.

Hmmm, so they haven't been released in the west? That's a shame, I would have liked to pick up the series sometime.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Oh I see! Thanks for the insight! That kind of reminds me of the game ''Evil Zone'' with its anime cutscenes and episodic sections.

Hmmm, so they haven't been released in the west? That's a shame, I would have liked to pick up the series sometime.

5 came out as "Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love" on the PS2/Wii and is amazing, if you can get your hands on it.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actual quote from Reggie Fils Aime, president of nintendo in america.

As you see, the idea that game translations don't effect the game itself is fiction, and not practiced in the real world. Localizing before a game is finished is a real issue. I don't really care about it when it comes to international games like Mega Man, Sonic, Street Fighter, etc. but when it's a niche title or something that is supposed to appeal to regional culture it becomes a real fucking problem.

Understand the issue, guys.

If you're going to disregard the president of Nintendo himself, you are already lost and there is no coming back.

If you take anything Reggie says at face value I'd more say you are lost...

Anyway, as for this announcement, happy to see a franchise revival! I just hate that they don't just reveal the platforms right away.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I always believed it was happening. I also fully believe the game will be localized in a timely matter this time.

The disappointment of no Virtua Fighter 6 was somehow almost completely numbed with this and the Shenmue announcements for me. Not an easy task to do considering how long we have waited for VF6.

Oct 25, 2017
OK, you need to be educated on this a bit. Because it's specific to Japan recently.

https://slator.com/features/japanese-game-fans-to-nintendo-we-want-translated-not-localized-games/

This is Nintendo.
This goes over and touches upon everything I listed in my post.
I think you will take into account what actual game developers are saying about this issue.

Localizing Before Product Is Finished
Fans Cry Censorship

Nintendo is knee deep in this shit and the fans are pissed. SEGA seems to be their saving grace right now.

that is subjective and you know it

That's not censorship. It's literally just listening to people's opinions and saying "you know what? that's a good idea!" or "no, that's not a great idea."

That is also Nintendo's in-house localization team (not a separate company influencing the direction of a game's development) and is intricately woven into Nintendo's production structure. It's not the same, at all. It's also a unique situation in the industry.

Also, I think you also misunderstand what most of the game industry is actually like.

The game industry is a series of toy-makers. They are constantly watching trends, charts full of numbers, societal responses, and all that. Most people in the game industry are not auteurs, trying to give shape to what's inside their heart - most game developers are there for a paycheck, at the end of the day. They are a team of people who is told what to do and how by upper management. The guy who is texturing car hubcaps all day is most likely going to go home and try to not think about videogames for a little while, and pay for his rent. They are a production line of people, trying to create a product that will sell the maximum number of units to get as much revenue as possible.

Nintendo does extreme market study, polishes gameplay to a mirror shine, and is extremely careful about their products that get presented onto a world stage. They are not simply a team of artists just trying to make art and getting 'infected by those filthy westerners and changing their original vision' or whatever. They are a profit-driven corporation making extremely well-made products meant to sell to as many people as they can, worldwide.

Changing a character's outfit because it's not necessarily what will work in America is a calculated decision in the grand scheme of making as much money as humanly possible. It is not some sort of evil businessman ripping up some poor artist's rendering because it won't fit in America. Character design goes through thousands of iterations in every game studio in the world, and each of the designs are passed through all sorts of people that literally have nothing to do with videogames anyway, including the advertising people. Even games limited simply to Japan are heavily modified and tweaked for maximum sales by corporate suits who know nothing about videogames.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia

I'm so damn jealous. I've always wanted to go to one of the musicals. I own like 4 of them and they're so fucking great. I also got my Shin Saiyuki signed by Mayumi Tanaka when she was over in the states for a convention. I remain in constant belief that Kaijin Bessou was the best performance they ever put on, plus it had the Paris Kagekidai mini live.

Oct 27, 2017
Changing a character's outfit because it's not necessarily what will work in America is a calculated decision in the grand scheme of making as much money as humanly possible. It is not some sort of evil businessman ripping up some poor artist's rendering because it won't fit in America.

giphy.gif

How are you not able to connect those 2 things together?

Changing your game because it doesn't meet some foreign country's standards is exactly the same thing as changing your game to fit one standardized, globalized culture. That is what it truly means to be International (many countries).

On the other hand, a game that is locallized after it is released will always have the original, unlocalized version that people in the target country don't have to deal with if they don't want to. Nintendo takes that choice away from the consumer because they like money.

Globalism is fueled by money, this is how the machine works, but that doesn't mean we have to sit back and conform to it.

Oct 25, 2017
How are you not able to connect those 2 things together?

Changing your game because it doesn't meet some foreign country's standards is exactly the same thing as changing your game to fit one standardized, globalized culture. That is what it truly means to be International (many countries).

On the other hand, a game that is locallized after it is released will always have the original, unlocalized version that people in the target country don't have to deal with if they don't want to. Nintendo takes that choice away from the consumer because they like money.

Globalism is fueled by money, this is how the machine works, but that doesn't mean we have to sit back and conform to it.

The difference is that the artist makes hundreds, if not thousands, of revisions based on feedback from dozens, if not hundreds of people, constantly. This is how being a game artist works. It is part of your job to make constant revisions to your design based on outside influences. Game artists don't just draw shit they like, and an evil suit rips it up and says do it over, and they sadly draw a slightly more covered-up female character or something. Being a game artist means that tons of people are inspecting your work constantly and giving you advice or telling you what needs to happen.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so damn jealous. I've always wanted to go to one of the musicals. I own like 4 of them and they're so fucking great. I also got my Shin Saiyuki signed by Mayumi Tanaka when she was over in the states for a convention. I remain in constant belief that Kaijin Bessou was the best performance they ever put on, plus it had the Paris Kagekidai mini live.

Oh it was amazing! I got to go to Sumire's retirement show, who is also my favorite character. It was just an incredible show. Sadly Maya Okamoto couldn't be there to perform as Orihime as she was in America at the time but she did record a message for the crowd and a video for the dvd release. But the rest of the teikokukakekidan were there. It's really hard to describe the emotion being there live. So much fun! I just wish I had gone to another. I didn't even know they did one a few years ago at budokan. I would've gone for sure. But yeah those concerts and the store they had in the amazing sega ikebuko arcade we're great things to see back in Sakura Taisen's big days

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Oh it was amazing! I got to go to Sumire's retirement show, who is also my favorite character. It was just an incredible show. Sadly Maya Okamoto couldn't be there to perform as Orihime as she was in America at the time but she did record a message for the crowd and a video for the dvd release. I just wish I had gone to another. I didn't even know they did one a few years ago at budokan. I would've gone for sure. But yeah those concerts and the store they had in the amazing sega ikebuko arcade we're great things to see back in Sakura Taisen's big days
OMG JEALOUS. Sumire is my most favorite gal and yes I also own the DVDs for her retirement live. Which was so heartfelt and sad. I have Kajin Bessou, Shin Benitokage, Sumire Retirement, Shin Hakkenden, and Shin Saiyuki. (No Sumire as Madam Snake for contrast to Mayumi as Monkey King D: D:)

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
OMG JEALOUS. Sumire is my most favorite gal and yes I also own the DVDs for her retirement live. Which was so heartfelt and sad. I have Kajin Bessou, Shin Benitokage, Shin Hakkenden, and Shin Saiyuki. (No Sumire as Madam Snake for contrast to Mayumi as Monkey King D: D:)

Oh yeah that dvd is sad. There were actually like six performances and I got to go to like the second one if I remember correctly. When they had their final messages at the end they sounded sad of course but when I watched the dvd of the real final performance I was like, WOW this is so sad and hard to watch. Particularly when Iris's voice actress broke down crying.

Also gotta say, seeing how small Kanna's voice actress is in real life was a surprise. Even with her big platform boots she wore. Also now a days I can brag that I saw Luffy from one piece voice actress perform cause of that. Which always gets a wow.

Ah now I'm going to have to pull out that dvd tonight and watch again

Oct 27, 2017
The difference is that the artist makes hundreds, if not thousands, of revisions based on feedback from dozens, if not hundreds of people, constantly. This is how being a game artist works. It is part of your job to make constant revisions to your design based on outside influences. Game artists don't just draw shit they like, and an evil suit rips it up and says do it over, and they sadly draw a slightly more covered-up female character or something. Being a game artist means that tons of people are inspecting your work constantly and giving you advice or telling you what needs to happen.

Do you want the guy yelling at you to redo your shit telling you to redo it because of what your own country thinks, or what a foreign country thinks? I'm afraid you are having trouble understanding the bigger picture here. And it's not just about what you are getting told from your boss, it concerns with the fact why he's telling you to redo it in the first place.

The development scope is different for an international game than it is for a more local one.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Oh yeah that dvd is sad. There were actually like six performances and I got to go to like the second one if I remember correctly. When they had their final messages at the end they sounded sad of course but when I watched the dvd of the real final performance I was like, WOW this is so sad and hard to watch. Particularly when Iris's voice actress broke down crying.

Also gotta say, seeing how small Kanna's voice actress is in real life was a surprise. Even with her big platform boots she wore. Also now a days I can brag that I saw Luffy from one piece voice actress perform cause of that. Which always gets a wow.

Ah now I'm going to have to pull out that dvd tonight and watch again

I need to go dig them out of storage and bring them to my new place... Wouldn't mind rewatching them all again. It's always awesome/sad when they do the sendoff with Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan and sometimes w/ encore. And yes it was also funny how Suyama Akio was so short as well and had to wear platformers to be at the height of Chisa Yokoyama etc.

Also Dandy Boss was a real fucking boss at the musicals, good god his voice. The numbers were always great:

To the rest of the topic, y'all that only played V haven't experienced anything until 3. 3 was simply the pinnacle of the series.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The kayou shows are a highlight of the franchise not to mention Kouhei Tanaka's love in producing character songs, group songs and theater songs for the series. Benitokage was real good stuff.

The flurry of 2001 with the movie, ST3 DC and the promise of ST4 at the AX2001 panel was great as I was in Japan for the movie screening and in hindsight I regret not going to a live show.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you want the guy yelling at you to redo your shit telling you to redo it because of what your own country thinks, or what a foreign country thinks? I'm afraid you are having trouble understanding the bigger picture here. And it's not just about what you are getting told from your boss, it concerns with the fact why he's telling you to redo it in the first place.

The development scope is different for an international game than it is for a more local one.

It doesn't matter what you think, to be honest. You do your job the way you're supposed to, the way management tells you to do it, otherwise you might as well quit and start your own studio or project.

As I said before, almost all character design for all videogames is done by committee. It is extremely, vanishingly rare that the first iteration of a character design is what gets through to the final product.

The reason why it's changed or tweaked is kind of completely goddamn irrelevant. A change for 'international audiences' is made because the studio implicitly agrees it's a good idea, not because they're 'forced' to change it by Americans.

Not only that, not all changes made to super-intensely Japanese games is """"censorship"""". XSEED asked the developers of Akiba's Trip if they could add sexy 'guy' cards to balance out the sexy 'girl' cards upon successful stripping of the character - and guess what? They thought it was an awesome idea, and added it. You could say that the localized version is BETTER because of that change.

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why it's changed or tweaked is kind of completely goddamn irrelevant. A change for 'international audiences' is made because the studio implicitly agrees it's a good idea, not because they're 'forced' to change it by Americans.

So you're saying they're okay with accepting globalization, rather than being forced to it.

OK, but don't get up in arms when people celebrate devs that don't accept globalization. That's all I was trying to do. Celebrate SEGA's stance up until now.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Just stumble onto this great video introducing the series. It is a very long video, so I recommend watching the first 10 minutes for the background settings in order to have some ideas on what this series is really about.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
Nice timing, I literally finished 5 just last night. Too bad the others aren't in English

Are any of the anime worth watching, even if I can't play the games?

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
Nice timing, I literally finished 5 just last night. Too bad the others aren't in English

Are any of the anime worth watching, even if I can't play the games?

What ever you do DO NOT watch the tv series. Except for one episode which dealt with the events before the first game (which is cool, especially since we never got that never canceled yet never spoken of again prequel game promised back in 2002), the rest of that tv series is an abomination. We're talking almost worse than the Nadesico movie levels of bad. A horrible retelling of the first game. Avoid at all costs.

The movie is excellent although it would be good to have a little knowledge of the series before hand. But you can get by without knowing things from the game. Some of the ovas are ok but depend on knowing the game story. At least the first one does for sure.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
What ever you do DO NOT watch the tv series. Except for one episode which dealt with the events before the first game (which is cool, especially since we never got that never canceled yet never spoken of again prequel game promised back in 2002), the rest of that tv series is an abomination. We're talking almost worse than the Nadesico movie levels of bad. A horrible retelling of the first game. Avoid at all costs.

The movie is excellent although it would be good to have a little knowledge of the series before hand. But you can get by without knowing things from the game. Some of the ovas are ok but depend on knowing the game story. At least the first one does for sure.
hmm... so the short answer is no then. This series seems impossible to get into if you don't know Japanese

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
hmm... so the short answer is no then. This series seems impossible to get into if you don't know Japanese

Well the problem is that most of the anime was made for the fans, and then most of it was not very good at all. The movie is probably the one version of the anime you can watch to get an idea of what it's about. It doesn't deal with any of the games storylines but it did introduce a character that would show up years later in Sakura Taisen V. Overall it's a good movie, fun and enjoyable. I know a lot of people who watched it before playing the games and enjoyed it a lot. If you want a quick little peak into the series, certainly check it out.

One thing that helped me get into it was when I played 1 and 2 like 18 years ago, there were simple yet good enough fan translation text files online. They aren't perfect especially for a game like this where the conversation bits are very important, but they can be a big help if you really want to try and jump into the series. Not sure how updated they ever got as I used them in 2000 and after that whenever I played the games I was able to use my Japanese ability then to play.

But really the best choices are to try and go for the Ogami series aka 1-4 which are in Japanese, or the New York one that got officially released. It's a shame those other games never made it out of Japan. They are all great, although 4 is a little disappointing since it was obviously rushed due to dreamcast's death and the retirement of sumire's voice actress.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to sleep before the event because everyone just leaked it was going to be Shenmue and I was like "meh, no Sakura Wars?", so this is great. Good job, Sega.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need to go dig them out of storage and bring them to my new place... Wouldn't mind rewatching them all again. It's always awesome/sad when they do the sendoff with Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan and sometimes w/ encore. And yes it was also funny how Suyama Akio was so short as well and had to wear platformers to be at the height of Chisa Yokoyama etc.

Also Dandy Boss was a real fucking boss at the musicals, good god his voice. The numbers were always great:

To the rest of the topic, y'all that only played V haven't experienced anything until 3. 3 was simply the pinnacle of the series.

The video was great and I don't know anything about Sakura Wars

Oct 25, 2017
Man, there was a lot of arguing with a lot of hot air in here huh.

Perhaps two or three people in here can have a nice calming walk outside with no video games.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, 13 years later Ichirō still couldn't decide which girl to take.

Erica of course! Do it! Let me touch her again!

Last edited:

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Is this a dream?Am I dreaming?
WHAT is this?I don't believe it guys, I'm the happiest man alive right now
Is it also true that it is set in Taisho era Japan?
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So is this only for mobile or mobile+consoles? Cuz I've been saying for years they should re-release the Sakura Wars series, and get Alexander O. Smith to do the relocaliation with as many people he worked on the FF12 localization with as possible.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I played the Wii port of 5 last year and enjoyed it. Am looking forward to this.

I'm also expecting prices for V to increase over the next few months as people go to Ebay to try the series out. The same thing happened to No More Heroes 2 recently

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
RED/Overworks really did their research in each area they tried to represent from Taisho era Japan, to Paris, to 1920s New York. You can't say they didn't do their homework. And more so composer Kohei Tanaka demonstrated massive talent in showing off these ranges. This resonances as well in the Live Musicals.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

How about the manga?