When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
in that case, why not just use ray tracing in dev kits, have developers render the lights in real time and do all the needed adjustments and then switch off the RTX for the game itself to run at a steady performance?

That would only allow for static lighting. It's how the lighting in Quake worked. Later games used some static lights like that, Mirror's Edge 1, but Mirror's Edge had a lot of dynamic lights too.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
in that case, why not just use ray tracing in dev kits, have developers render the lights in real time and do all the needed adjustments and then switch off the RTX for the game itself to run at a steady performance?

The thing is, if the devs want to have dynamic lighting systems at play time, they need to implement those to be run in the game, either as RT or some other technique. They can (and sometimes do) use RT to visualize how a scene should look like, placing lights and all the other stuff - a target render - and then go back to the game code, with its play time implementation of GI, shadows, etc and try to tweak and match so it looks as close as possible to the target render while still performant.

So the benefit of RT is more so to ease game development.

The best comparison I can think of, is a character in a game with ragdoll physics, you can manipulate that character in 1000s of different ways and get 1000s of different results, where pre canned animations have to be individually created.
So RT is like the ragdoll?

Yup, you get the idea. With ragdoll you create models with skeletons with plausible approximate ranges of motion, apply an approximation of gravity, friction and other forces acting upon the ragdoll and the calculations do the rest for you. No need to hand code all the millions of possible animations, like a character folding over a railing or falling down a bunch of steps. With RT you approximate how light (reflections, refractions, etc) and materials behave and it does the rest.

Good explanation, but SVOGI is not a low computation renderinf technics.
I didn't say it was cheap, I said it was cheaper than RT. And it is, significantly.

Larrabee (or Cell) lives!
It's pretty crazy the increasing convergence between GPU and CPU architectures, CPUs becoming more parallel and vectorized, GPUs getting more and more scalar features.

Crazy Ken was way ahead of his time!

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Krazy Ken and his cell is starting to like how people may have reacted to DaVinci when he concepted out tanks, submarines and flying machines, "the fuck you talking about you crazy old man?" Lol

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I don't think Albert wants to ruin any relationships with folks at Microsoft just for 5 minutes of internet fame in a next-gen speculation thread. He's also posted in this thread already with a similar goal. Make people aware that consoles have to compromise to get to an acceptable price point. His last set of posts also did a great deal to explain why BoM isn't the only factor in deciding MSRP

You have a link for me, or the exact username here so i can search myself?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Nice, but I don't quite see it. 3TF would be a massive jump from the Switch which is about 0.35TF docked. They do have to keep the battery life reasonable, after all.

I think it'll be more like 2TF docked and 1TF handheld, with reconstructed 1080p in the handheld mode. That would be more than a 5x GPU boost with a very minimal increase in the resolution it needed to hit.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Sony will only launch one base model while MS will launch two? I guess Pro bombed?

IIRC the PS4 Pro is doing quite well. Many believe that Sony is just very price-conscious and would rather have one $399 model. Most of our estimates would require that a "Pro" console be at least $499 to have some kind of measurable difference day one. Even then, it wouldn't be the same as the Pro vs base PS4. For that we need time for tech to mature and evolve.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The next thread should just have a teraFLOPS prediction poll at this point.

If we're talking about thread titles...I gotta get into some major nitpicky pedantry as someone who loves to cook lol. This thread should have been called "secret sauces simmering" the one we make when specs are out should have been "secret sauces boiling" as in tempers boiling over between people, as it surely will lol. But I do love the OP!!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This was expected, but good to hear. AMD owes GF no payments for 7nm and below wafers they buy. This prevents an extra cost being tacked onto console SoC sales, which affects current gen consoles.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mi...balfoundries_to_achieve_greater_flexibility/1

Are we finally going to be able to play 2013 bullshots in 2020?

Division
Watch Dogs
Deep Down
Spiderman puddle
hehehehe
Deep Down is my personal TLG.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so with Sony increasing cloud size by 10x for ps plus users, does this mean anything for the discussion? Are we expecting the next gen saves files to increase 10x as well haha (pls don't tell me next gen save files size be more than 1gb that would be crazy.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what? Do you have a source for that?

I think he's referencing some math I did one day, but the exact quote was that the Pro has sold more since launch than the X and the S combined in 2018 (putting that number at 10M for the Xboxes)

Since then we got ZhugEX numbers, and we know it was much lower than 10M for the Xboxes, so it wouldn't be crazy to think that the Pro has sold more since launch than the X and the S since the X launch.

But I would leave it at that because discussing sales numbers is frowned upon in here.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
so with Sony increasing cloud size by 10x for ps plus users, does this mean anything for the discussion? Are we expecting the next gen saves files to increase 10x as well haha (pls don't tell me next gen save files size be more than 1gb that would be crazy.

First that Play5tation Holiday theme tease and now 100Gb cloud upgrade...5 x 20 equals 100....PS5 2020 confirmed!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Naw. That was just a much-needed update that is I guess part of their offering for removing PS3/Vita games. Xbox One has no limit of cloud saves and they apply to people who don't have Xbox Live Gold as well.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you folks feel about potential HDMI 2.1 support for next-gen consoles? I'm not entirely convinced that we'll see it in 2020. Maybe in the mid-gen models, but it seems like some of the more important features like VRR can be accomplished via HDMI 2.0.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
How do you folks feel about potential HDMI 2.1 support for next-gen consoles? I'm not entirely convinced that we'll see it in 2020. Maybe in the mid-gen models, but it seems like some of the more important features like VRR can be accomplished via HDMI 2.0.

next-gen consoles aren't launching without HDMI 2.1

heck, Navi isn't launching without HDMI 2.1

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

Xbox One X already supports it, doesn't it?

Oct 26, 2017
Yes on Monday

I don't think it's anything crazy in there, and the specs seem right on the money. It would be what I'd expect. Even if fake could be accurate

Odd that he would call it too good to be true, lol. And with caps too. Youtubers I guess, haha.

I haven't watched it either,i just saw he posted below video link to that reddit "leak" and i suppose that's his source.It's so fake,it's not even funny...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing tons of fake reports until the official reveal. Especially videos where it's all in caps and full of hyperbole, lol.

Jan 2, 2018
Man I saw the thread just before it got deleted and just said,quite loudly 'holy shit' at work..refreshed and it was gone lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.