• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Regardless of whatever happens, I hope Cerny does what he did with the PS4 Pro where he added DDR3 for the software itself so it doesn't steal RAM from games.

That way we can have more RAM allocated exclusively for games

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Kinda strange they wanna announce next Xbox almost 1 year and half before actually releasing it?

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
They already did that with the Xbox One X. It would not be new ground if that is what they ended up doing.
XB1X was announced at E3 2017 and released 5 months later.

Next xbox(rumours) announcement E3 2019-release Q4 2020.1 year and half is a huge timeframe between announcement-release. It would even stop a lot of sales because people would rather wait for new Xbox.

Lately,we see a popular trend of short announcements-release. Maybe Sony and Microosft will go that way. Didn't Cerny once said that in future Sony will go for more "Apple style" announcement-release

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Next xbox(rumours) announcement E3 2019-release Q4 2020.1 year and half is a huge timeframe between announcement-release. It would even stop a lot of sales because people would rather wait for new Xbox.

Lately,we see a popular trend of short announcements-release. Maybe Sony and Microosft will go that way. Didnr Cerny once said in future Sony will go for more "Apple style" announcement-release
It was revealed as Project Scorpio at E3 2016.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
No sorry, it means more than that. The SSD plus some (most) of the others

Edit: Talking about Tom Warren's comment
again, we dont know what he really meant. could be the meaning was just regarding the SSD, it could be about the usage of an 8 core zen CPU (which is also rather obvious), you shouldnt take that as a confirmation of the GPU being 4TF or 12TF or whatever.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
again, we dont know what he really meant. could be the meaning was just regarding the SSD, it could be about the usage of an 8 core zen CPU (which is also rather obvious), you shouldnt take that as a confirmation of the GPU being 4TF or 12TF or whatever.

And I'm not?

Just saying that, imo, Tom Warren confirmed that most, not all, but most of the speccs are accurate, by saying some aren't.

Why? Because if most were inaccurate he would have said "most are inaccurate" instead of saying "some are inaccurate".

Is it possible he said "some" when in reality its "most"? Yes, it's possible he's trolling us, but I'd say less probable than the other way around

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
With Google entering gaming market at GDC,MS announcing next gen consoles at E3 plus "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo,i wonder what will Sony do...they can't just stay quiet and wait end of 2020,world around them is changing and changing fast.

I'm afraid few interviews from Shawn Layden are nowhere near enough.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda strange they wanna announce next Xbox almost 1 year and half before actually releasing it?

I don't think that's too strange, tbh. Sales are down 50% in January in their best market, so I think they want to shift the focus towards next gen as soon as possible.

I actually think the next gen narrative will hurt Sony much more than MS, so MS will try to talk about next gen as much as possible, and Sony will avoid it completely until the holiday sale season is over (December- February)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
With Google entering gaming market at GDC,MS announcing next gen consoles at E3 plus "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo,i wonder what will Sony do...they can't just stay quiet,world around them is changing and changing fast.

I'm afraid few interviews from Shawn Layden are nowhere near enough.

As i just said talking about next gen will hurt 2019 sales for Sony, so they shouldn't do it just to counteract whatever MS is doing, because that's just what MS wants.

Talk about Day's Gone, which is launching in 2 months, talk about Dreams after that, Concrete Genie, MLB the Show, Blood and Truth, and then announce of the big three for the Fall (Death Stranding is my bet)

Price drop going into the holidays, plus some special #199 deals, and after that you can start the PR machine for 2020/Next gen.

Make it PSX in December or some kind of reveal Q1 2020, or a mix of both. For 2020 we'll have PS4 games, crossgen games and PS5 only games.

According to ZHugeEX there's 2 unannounced PS4 games that could fall in any of those categories (Ratchet + Japan Studio?).

So for 2020 we have Ghost of Tsushima+ TloU2+ those 2 games+ PS5 launch games.

I guess if HZD2 is not ready for the PS5 launch some of those PS4 games will end up being cross-gen, or maybe even PS5 only

I think that will be the plan, more or less...but for that to work they will be mostly silent until the end of 2019, at least

Edit: Also I think Sony will prefer to announce it after MS, so they can react to said announcement, as some high Sony executive said (can't remember the name)

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the most interesting aspect would be Sony being forced to reveal a weaker console later, similar to Xbox One all over again. At least it will probably be cheaper.
They'll show it alongside Horizon 2, snippets of God of War 2 and other exclusives being prepared with PS5 in mind. And our faces will melt.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I always said it won't be possible to have a powerful next gen console for 400$. And the first pricing indications for Scarlet confirms it. A powerful PS5 at 399$ ? not happening.
What pricing indications are you talking about? I have not even heard of a rumored price for anything much less a confirmed one.

That anacoda sounds like 499€ to me.. Hard to believe the 1TB SSD tbh
You can buy a 1TB SSD for about $100 right now. How much do you think it will cost an OEM to do a contract fr abut 20M of them? A 1TB SSD will probably cst them about $30 more in 2020 than it cst them to put 500GB HDDs in 2013. Only reason I have my doubts abut it is that there are better cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing. Using a embedded 240GB SSD + a 1TB HDD will only raise their current HDD budget by round $10. And yet you et all the benefits of having an SSD.

If this is true, $399 PS5 will be less then 10TF,probably 8-10TF as i expected.Dream is dead for anything more then 16 gigs of memory it seems...
And you know this how?

This is like the 16th time this "leak" was posted in this thread xD
IKR?

Which again is sad because those 16GB are shared RAM for system and games...
we dont know if that is all the RAM the systems will have. PS4pro already has a separate RAM pool for the OS, albeit only 1GB of it. That RAM isn't listed anywhere in the product description.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
One thing for sure: if MS really announces next gen consoles at this E3 for late 2020 launch-sales of XB1,which are down already YoY,will have very,very steep decline.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Lately,we see a popular trend of short announcements-release. Maybe Sony and Microosft will go that way. Didn't Cerny once said that in future Sony will go for more "Apple style" announcement-release
Sorry bro....

XB1X (aka scorpio) was announced at E3 2016. It was "revealed" at E3 2017.

The only thing the world didn't know abut the XB1x was its name and the box until 2017. But its specs and direction were known in 2016.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
What pricing indications are you talking about? I have not even heard of a rumored price for anything much less a confirmed one.

You can buy a 1TB SSD for about $100 right now. How much do you think it will cost an OEM to do a contract fr abut 20M of them? A 1TB SSD will probably cst them about $30 more in 2020 than it cst them to put 500GB HDDs in 2013. Only reason I have my doubts abut it is that there are better cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing. Using a embedded 240GB SSD + a 1TB HDD will only raise their current HDD budget by round $10. And yet you et all the benefits of having an SSD.

And you know this how?

IKR?

we dont know if that is all the RAM the systems will have. PS4pro already has a separate RAM pool for the OS, albeit only 1GB of it. That RAM isn't listed anywhere in the product description.

Mate this is a NVME SSD not a regular SATA normal SSD they talking about, high speed bandwidth SSDs.

I believe they can put SSDs but not this super ridiculous ones like the EVO 960 I have on my PC.

And yes I am aware the PS4 Pro has desperate DDR3 RAM, thats why I'm hyping both feature separate DDR4 for it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Mate this is a NVME SSD not a regular SATA normal SSD they talking about, high speed bandwidth SSDs.

I believe they can put SSDs but not this super ridiculous ones like the EVO 960 I have on my PC.

And yes I am aware the PS4 Pro has desperate DDR3 RAM, thats why I'm hyping both feature separate DDR4 for it.
Jesus pls stop spreading misinformation.

NVME???

Where has it ever been said that is what they are considering...... more importantly do you realize how stupid it will be for them to do that?

Have you seen game load time comparisons between HDD, SSDs and NVME SSDs?

An SSD will allow them ~500MB/s f bandwidth. That is high enough fr games as a medium because all that 2GB/s worth of bandwidth an NVME SSD gives is completely useless for games.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Anaconda is rumored to be at 500$. And the specs seems in line with what we can expect from a PS5. So again, forget 399$.
You do not know that. All we know is that annaconda is more expensive than lockhart. We do not know if its also more expensive than the PS5 or if any of them will cost $499. And these specs you are talking about..... Classic Dunnin-Kruger effect right there.

Do you know what the difference is between a 10TF and a 12TF GPU that has 72CU is? 200Mhz. One is 1100Mhz and the other is 1300Mhz. D you als know that a 72CU GPU coupled with a ryzen CPU at 7nm will fit into a 320mm2 sized die? Which happens t be the die size of the PS4pro. But even more interesting is that the OG PS4 had a die size of 340mm2@28nm.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Will Microsoft really announce next-gen consoles that far out? previously they revealed Xbox One in May 2013 and launched it in November 2013.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
But It wasn't announced, was It? It was more of a tease. If we go that way, the next Xbox was already revealed at E3 2018, when Phil said MS is working on it

I would say Scorpio was a tease+. They showed a video that gave almost all specs and even showed the motherboard renders that were entirely accurate to the finished article down to the die size of the APU*

* Rich from DF:

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
You do not know that. All we know is that annaconda is more expensive than lockhart. We do not know if its also more expensive than the PS5 or if any of them will cost $499. And these specs you are talking about..... Classic Dunnin-Kruger effect right there.

Do you know what the difference is between a 10TF and a 12TF GPU that has 72CU is? 200Mhz. One is 1100Mhz and the other is 1300Mhz. D you als know that a 72CU GPU coupled with a ryzen CPU at 7nm will fit into a 320mm2 sized die? Which happens t be the die size of the PS4pro. But even more interesting is that the OG PS4 had a die size of 340mm2@28nm.

Why people do want a 399$ Sony console ? It was a great move back in the day. But we're in different times now. This was back in 2013. In 2020, 500$ will be less than 399$ in 2013 anyway.

It's not reasonable to expect things like SSD, 16 gig of RAM ( or even 32 ) and 12 TF for 399$. It won't happen. I expect Sony to have 2 differents skus as well. So if some people want a cheaper next gen console, they will have it. But that notion that we will get a beefy PS5 for 399$ is nonsense.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
But It wasn't announced, was It? It was more of a tease. If we go that way, the next Xbox was already revealed at E3 2018, when Phil said MS is working on it
Only that they revealed how many TF's the SoC was going to have, talked about bandwidth numbers, the number of CPU cores, target resolution. The only thing that they did not reveal if I remember correctly was the amount of RAM the console was going to pack and HDD capacity.

From what they showed, people were already working out how much RAM and on what type bus.

Jan 20, 2019
Why people do want a 399$ Sony console ? It was a great move back in the day. But we're in different times now. This was back in 2013. In 2020, 500$ will be less than 399$ in 2013 anyway.

It's not reasonable to expect things like SSD, 16 gig of RAM ( or even 32 ) and 12 TF for 399$. It won't happen. I expect Sony to have 2 differents skus as well. So if some people want a cheaper next gen console, they will have it. But that notion that we will get a beefy PS5 for 399$ is nonsense.

You do understand that a console is 399$ is not because of times changing but because of the paychecks peopel receive?
You have no clue what your talking about,

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Jesus pls stop spreading misinformation.

NVME???

Where has it ever been said that is what they are considering...... more importantly do you realize how stupid it will be for them to do that?

Have you seen game load time comparisons between HDD, SSDs and NVME SSDs?

An SSD will allow them ~500MB/s f bandwidth. That is high enough fr games as a medium because all that 2GB/s worth of bandwidth an NVME SSD gives is completely useless for games.
To be fair the additional bandwidth nvme offers is redundant in 90% of consumer uses

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
You do understand that a console is 399$ is not because of times changing but because of the paychecks peopel receive?
You have no clue what your talking about,

500$ for a high end console won't be a problem in a world where smartphones cost more than 1000$ ( and nearing 2000$ ). This is NOT 2013 when we were still recovering from the 2008 crisis. The PS5 will be 499$ prepare yourself for that price ( you have some time to save money... ).

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it the same leak that we already had with reddit/imgur? From the specs it seems so.
Yup. I don't get it.

500$ for a high end console won't be a problem in a world where smartphones cost more than 1000$ ( and nearing 2000$ ). This is NOT 2013 when we were still recovering from the 2008 crisis. The PS5 will be 499$ prepare yourself for that price ( you have some time to save money... ).
We're on the cusp of another economic collapse, you really don't want consoles to follow the mobile model right now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it the same leak that we already had with reddit/imgur? From the specs it seems so.

Yup, same exact leak.

I don't mind if it is that price but I thin Sony will still aim for 399, even if it means less power.

Jan 20, 2019

Yes, you have phones that cost 1000$ and you also have phones that cost 50$.
And the phones, are use by everybody because is a tool to stay in touch with your family, work and friends.

Console is nothing like a phone, is not even nothing like a tv that is why you have 1000 options to get a phone and only 3 options to get a console.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All in all, it seems safe to bet that Microsoft is going for 2 main SKUs: a cheaper (maybe discless) option, which is Lockhart, and a flagship more powerful one (Anaconda). I am assuming it is going to be $299 and $499 respectively.

If Sony is indeed going with $399 that means they will be in a weird middle ground. The PS5 wouldnt be the most powerful and it wouldnt be the cheaper. It is a weird situation to be in.

That is why I think they should go the 2 SKUs route too.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
We're on the cusp of another economic collapse, you really don't want consoles to follow the mobile model right now.

Yup, and it looks like it will be a big one, quite possibly bigger than 2008. A really bad time to price yourself out of people's entertainment budget.

If Sony is indeed going with $399 that means they will be in a weird middle ground. The PS5 wouldnt be the most powerful and it wouldnt be the cheaper. It is a weird situation to be on.

There's a phenomenon in marketing that shows that people are much, much more likely to go for the middle option, when presented with three options, including a premium and a budget one. It's especially strong if the most expensive option doesn't do a really good job at justifying its premium.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018

But is that because no games have been coded for that kind of storage medium yet? If Microsoft knew all their consoles were going to have NVMe SSDs in, maybe they could do things we haven't seen yet?

Jan 20, 2019
All in all, it seems safe to bet that Microsoft is going for 2 main SKUs: a cheaper (maybe discless) option, which is Lockhart, and a flagship more powerful one (Anaconda). I am assuming it is going to be $299 and $499 respectively.

If Sony is indeed going with $399 that means they will be in a weird middle ground. The PS5 wouldnt be the most powerful and it wouldnt be the cheaper. It is a weird situation to be on.

No, it is not a weird situation to be in, the same situation happen this gen when the mid gen upgrades came.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Yes, you have phones that cost 1000$ and you also have phones that cost 50$.
And the phones, are use by everybody because is a tool to stay in touch with your family, work and friends.

Console is nothing like a phone, is not even nothing like a tv that is why you have 1000 options to get a phone and only 3 options to get a console.

Again, you're wrong. Consoles are much closer to phones thsn you think. Aren't talking about Gamepass or Playstation Now being available on phones as well ?

Didn't Microsoft launch Xbox All Access a subscription service - very similar - to what you get with your phone. And I expect Sony to to the same for the PS5.

The point is technology is getting more expensive because more cutting edge ( Galaxy fold ). So you cannot expect cheap cutting edge consoles.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018

If Sony is indeed going with $399 that means they will be in a weird middle ground. The PS5 wouldnt be the most powerful and it wouldnt be the cheaper. It is a weird situation to be in.

'We have a console for the poor people. It's called the PlayStation 4.'

Jan 20, 2019
Again, you're wrong. Consoles are much closer to phones thsn you think. Aren't talking about Gamepass or Playstation Now bring available on phones as well ?

Didn't Microsoft launch Xbox All Access a subscription service - very similar - to what you get with your phone.

The point is technology is getting more expensive because more cutting edge ( Galaxy fold ). So you cannot expect cheap cutting edge consoles.

No they are not, you can't live without a phone because is important, but you can stay without a console and you are not gonna lose nothign. Microsoft releasing the service on phones only reinforces the fact that phones have a large range.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

High end phone sales are also slowing down .
For Sony it better to go for price that they can keep as long as possible with out much price cuts .

Status
Not open for further replies.