• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
If they can get the spec not different from the higher end model it will be good.

I'm thinking 7-8tflop for low end and 12tflop for high end.
It can't be to big a gap because if devs choose to really push graphics at 1440p or 4kcb the lower end should have to be 1080p.
If the low end was 6tflops or less you might be getting 900p or even 720p resolutions further down the line.

But I think 2 price points is the best.

Have a
7.4tflop gpu
Zen2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb HDD
Possibly digital only
$299

12tflop gpu
Zen 2 8 core 2.8ghz
16gb gddr6 4gb ddr4
1tb ssd
4k UHD bld
$499

The lower end (and possibly more popular) model missing SSD would mean that only 1st party studios utilized the SSD fully on the higher end model. That would make it pretty pointless.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Adjusted for inflation $299 in 1994 would be around $500 in 2018. So launching at $499 would be very similar to the PS1 launch price. If you adjust for inflation the PS4 was actually cheaper than the PS1.

Until you remember that wages haven't kept up with inflation. I think $499 would still be ok for other reasons (being able to trade your PS4 in, for one), but I'm pretty sure it would be a greater financial burden than the PS1 on average.

Feb 10, 2018
Is it actually confirmed the lower end model will be cheaper than the competition? I mean, what's stopping them releasing similarly specced system as PS5 at 399$, and an enthusiast model at 499$?

Nothing is comfirmed lol.
But the leak suggested a cheaper and weaker model and a more expensive more powerful model.
Most ppl seem to think $299 + $499.
But I think a lot of that is ppl wanting the PS5 to be in a so called "$399 sweet spot"

Frankly we have no idea what the pricing structure will be.

It could be $349 + $499 on MS side.
And could be like the pro vs X1X in power split.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Until you remember that wages haven't kept up with inflation. I think $499 would still be ok for other reasons (being able to trade your PS4 in, for one), but I'm pretty sure it would be a greater financial burden than the PS1 on average.
In America average income per year was 24k per year. IN 2017 it was 50k. Average minimum wage has about doubled as well. So buying a 300$ console in 94 should be about the same at 500$ console in 2020.
The problem isn't a 500$ console. It's a 249$ switch(guessing 2020 price) and a 299$ Lockhart going against a 500$ console. It would be double the price of switch and 200$ more than Lockhart. That could be a big problem.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Nothing is comfirmed lol.
But the leak suggested a cheaper and weaker model and a more expensive more powerful model.
Most ppl seem to think $299 + $499.
But I think a lot of that is ppl wanting the PS5 to be in a so called "$399 sweet spot"

Frankly we have no idea what the pricing structure will be.

It could be $349 + $499 on MS side.
And could be like the pro vs X1X in power split.

I meant confirmed as in said by reliable sources, because so many talk about the 299$ model on this thread, when it could be anything between 299-399$.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sure I get that and don't get me wrong, I want PS5 to be as powerful as possible but I have to remain realistic that us core gamers aren't the only people that matter (unfortunately) and they will want to have a really good price point again to appeal to everyone.

I do still think that going from 1.8TF to 9TF-10TF will be a big enough leap though, especially with more / faster RAM and the Ryzen CPU as well.
Sony would be totally fine releasing at 9TF. What´smore important than raw power this time are the features (BC is a must) and the games at launch.

Feb 10, 2018
I meant confirmed as in said by reliable sources, because so many talk about the 299$ model on this thread, when it could be anything between 299-399$.

No the leaks regarding lockhart + anaconda have not mentioned price.

However Brad sams did say anaconda was a response to the PS5 and will be similar in power and lockhart is a weaker more budget friendly option.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And if the PS5 launched with all the capabilities of the Pro except considerably better on every level, literally millions of people wouldn't "need the motivation of exclusive software" to get it either, though they would have that anyway since there would absolutely be trailers (and probably demos) for proper next-gen games from the off.
But hopefully it would also get exclusive stuff. Pro never promised that and I don't know of anyone who thought it would get that. Otherwise there'll never be a next gen as devs will continue to just program for XB1 and port up

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony would be totally fine releasing at 9TF. What´smore important than raw power this time are the features (BC is a must) and the games at launch.

Yeah if they nail BC, they will have a great library of games for people to play day one, and it will be even better if they patch a few games for enhancements (resolution / framerate ect) plus the games that run with dynamic resolutions and unlocked framerates should benefit automatically.

Feb 10, 2018
So, that suggests Anaconda would cost around the same as PS5, not 499$, unless Sony also goes up there in power and price.

Well, there's been no leaks about PS4's price either, so it could be either.

But I personally want $499 to ensure we get visuals closer to these tech demos using a RTX 2080Ti.

It really disappoints me that next gen probably won't have nvidia RTX hardware or some other specific Ray tracing hardware.

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
When was the last time a console could somewhat keep up with a high-end PC (at launch)? I remember the Xbox 360 being quite a beast in 2005 and even the PS3 in 2006.

Anandtech has a slew of articles from back in the day. Actually a fun read!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1719

Obviously consoles had more exotic design back in the day, but why would it be completely out of the question to assume Sony and Microsoft wouldn't want to pursue the high-end again? It certainly generates excitement and is even favorable to the PC with consoles at least trying not to hold technology back.

If a $499 console would bring us any closer to that, I'd be in favor of it... Man, I just really want to see innovative, big steps forward with both next-gen consoles!

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
In America average income per year was 24k per year. IN 2017 it was 50k. Average minimum wage has about doubled as well. So buying a 300$ console in 94 should be about the same at 500$ console in 2020.
The problem isn't a 500$ console. It's a 249$ switch(guessing 2020 price) and a 299$ Lockhart going against a 500$ console. It would be double the price of switch and 200$ more than Lockhart. That could be a big problem.

Averages are heavily weighted towards large amounts, so they are usually not the best indicator of what's happening in the real world. That's why you often mostly see the "median wages" in reports versus averages because it represents what the middle most wage being paid to an employee would be.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Well, there's been no leaks about PS4's price either, so it could be either.

But I personally want $499 to ensure we get visuals closer to these tech demos using a RTX 2080Ti.

It really disappoints me that next gen probably won't have nvidia RTX hardware or some other specific Ray tracing hardware.

I am still using a GTX1070 and did not upgrade to rtx2060. Lots of gamers are waiting for Ray tracing feature on general-purpose GPUs. Nvidia with 7nm ampere is gonna steal the thunder from AMD's NAVI. I am expecting next RTX 3080 will be close to 15tf.

Feb 10, 2018
I am still using a GTX1070 and did not upgrade to rtx2060. Lots of gamers are waiting for Ray tracing feature on general-purpose GPUs. Nvidia with 7nm ampere is gonna steal the thunder from AMD's NAVI. I am expecting next RTX 3080 will be close to 15tf.

Nvidia PC owners should hope for ray tracing hardware in next gen consoles, because if there is games will be designed with ray tracing more Prevalent which will cross over more to PC.
If there is just brute force ray tracing like we have seen from crytek, PC will see similar baked on implementations that we are seeing at the moment, (BF5, control, metro)

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Averages are heavily weighted towards large amounts, so they are usually not the best indicator of what's happening in the real world. That's why you often mostly see the "median wages" in reports versus averages because it represents what the middle most wage being paid to an employee would be.
You are right. Actually those where the median wages. I just replaced the word with average.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
1 or 2 tf won't make or break a console. Games will look fine either way. The only way 1 or 2 tf really helps at all is if it puts ps5 on par with andaconda or puts it above Xbox. Other than that 12.5-25% more gpu power won't even move the needle for ps5 sales performance.
You take your 9tf and I'll take my 13.2tf and we'll see who looks better :)

Feb 10, 2018
One positive thing is that even though these tech demos are running on 2080ti, we have to cast our minds back to 2012 when the epic samaritan demo ran on a GTX 680 which was a 3tflop card.
The graphics of that demo were surpassed with console with half that power.
So hopefully a similar maturing of tools will happen.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
But hopefully it would also get exclusive stuff. Pro never promised that and I don't know of anyone who thought it would get that. Otherwise there'll never be a next gen as devs will continue to just program for XB1 and port up

Of course it would. The PS5 will get exclusive games and next-gen titles like any other console. I'm just talking about a situation where the console is ready for production and release before those games are, and has enhanced BC that makes it worth releasing.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
One positive thing is that even though these tech demos are running on 2080ti, we have to cast our minds back to 2012 when the epic samaritan demo ran on a GTX 680 which was a 3tflop card.
The graphics of that demo were surpassed with console with half that power.
So hopefully a similar maturing of tools will happen.

There are still things in the demo not seen on consoles in general, with cheaper effects in play. Same thing this time around

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
But then it's also the same relatively as the x1x to Pro gap and people don't care as much about that, likely because of diminishing returns
I think the native 4K compared to half that, even with impressive CB techniques, is quite significant.

Although I believe native 4K to be a waste of resources and cb to be a better alternative, the power difference between the two boxes is noticeable. But much more so with og ps4 and Xbone.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I know some people wanted us to believe the gap was small, but the difference between 1080 & 720 as well as more stable frame rates most of this gen was a huge deal imo.

Just need to look at the DF results for some of the bigger releases this year so far. PS4 still seems to be holding its own (though you can sense it is also starting to struggle). By comparison - Xbox one seems to be struggling more with their releases seeming to have lower res, lower effects and lower frame rates. Obviously not true for all releases but some of the results have been in 'yikes' territory.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Too soon to say no information the PS5 was leaked. GDC only ended less than two days ago. Also, it takes time to verify information, as someone like Jason Schreier would want to do before he publishes anything.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
You take your 9tf and I'll take my 13.2tf and we'll see who looks better :)

interesting number choices. did you make them yourself?

Just read this. Was the anti used games things ever true and Sony reversed it?

https://kotaku.com/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-5896996

Patrick Klepek, gametrailers, Michael Pachter all reported on it as well. Im sure ign and other sites mentioned it but its hard to dig through years of content to find old articles. Sony kept quiet and let Microsoft take the bullet on the used game initiative but it was reported they had the same plan. That last minute "used games" video sony filmed in a e3 hotel room was a brilliant marketing move on their part. People were so quick to forget sony was up to the same skeevy plan and now all of a sudden was a gamers best friend.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean, I know some people wanted us to believe the gap was small, but the difference between 1080 & 720 as well as more stable frame rates most of this gen was a huge deal imo.

Probably because 720p is very noticeable compared to 1080p, as games look very blurry, especially on bigger 4k TV's.

If it was a 9TF vs 13TF console, the difference wouldn't be as noticeable as 720p vs 1080p. It would be native 4k vs native 4k, with the difference coming down to some graphical settings being turned up a bit on the more powerful system.

Some might argue that 9TF wouldn't be enough for native 4k but when XB1X, with only 6TF is doing games at native 4k like RDR2 or getting very close to native 4k on others, 9TF would be fine.

Also they have Checkerboard Rendering or other forms of Reconstruction to fall back on if really needed, with enough power to do full 2160p (no more 1600p or weird inbetween resolutions) which looks excellent or maybe they could even push Checkerboard Rendering past 2160p resolution and then downsample for an even better IQ.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember a YouTuber who calls his channel review tech USA and uploaded a video around the launch of PS4 proclaiming Sony was gonna have a day one patch to disable DRM and how Sony reveresed that decision to include drm once they saw the negative reactions to Microsoft E3. Although most ppl just assumed he was a massive Xbox fanboy spreading fud.

Status
Not open for further replies.