• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console be revealed?

• First half of 2019

Votes: 593 15.6%
  • Second half of 2019(let's say post E3)

Votes: 1,361 35.9%
  • First half of 2020

Votes: 1,675 44.2%
  • 2021 :^)

Votes: 161 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Sony has a history of half-assing tech innovation, and then letting competitors make the money after they execute much better than Sony. Just with Playstation, Eyetoy and Streaming are good examples.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Sony bailed on VR and let another company make it popular, but I hope they follow through for once.
Damn this quote aged quick af lol in regards to VR

IRONMAN I'm excited i know it was only cgi but still

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
As I understand it it related to DDR4 RAM types and not GDDR6 which would be the RAM type used for consoles.
The underlying die all come from the same process. It's the packaging and control interface that differentiate them. Also, GDDR6 demand has been underwhelming due to Nvidia's pricing of RTX cards and the lack of a Navi launch from AMD.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a reliable source?
I've been watching his channel for a while, about he is legit. He don't make crazy rumors for clicks or is a fanboy or anything like that. He says the information is from a source that has been reliable in the past, thought this source is hearing this information second hand. He talks with AdoredTV regularly it seems, and he was just came back from GDC after being invited out by Intel. But this is still a rumor as he admits so take that, like all rumors, with an appropriate helping of salt.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Is this a reliable source?
I would put it above wccf at least, and certainly better than random youtubers not named Jim.

It's interesting that it alleges that Navi is truly Raja's first design from AMD, and that Navi 20 is architecturally distinct from Navi 10 (it has dedicated RT hardware). If so, perhaps MS could go with that instead of Navi 10 Lite, if that rumor is true for Ariel.

He also explicitly calls out the Super SIMD patent saying it's not in Navi, and that's for a later GPU (incorrectly assuming Arcturus is an architecture name).

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I would put it above wccf at least, and certainly better than random youtubers not named Jim.

It's interesting that it alleges that Navi is truly Raja's first design from AMD, and that Navi 20 is architecturally distinct from Navi 10 (it has dedicated RT hardware). If so, perhaps MS could go with that instead of Navi 10 Lite, if that rumor is true for Ariel.

He also explicitly calls out the Super SIMD patent saying it's not in Navi, and that's for a later GPU (incorrectly assuming Arcturus is an architecture name).

it seems arcturus is really next gen architecture. There was an old article regarding it
AMD-next-gen-stream-processor-580x326.jpg

Patents show AMD's post-Navi GPU could use an Nvidia-like architecture

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-next-gen-graphics-card-architecture-arcturus

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
it seems arcturus is really next gen architecture. There was an old article regarding it
AMD-next-gen-stream-processor-580x326.jpg

Patents show AMD's post-Navi GPU could use an Nvidia-like architecture

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-next-gen-graphics-card-architecture-arcturus
No.

Just a reminder... the Arcturus code name refers to a specific chip, not an architecture. Somebody misread my post on Phoronix and thought it was a new architecture, and that has been echoing around the internet ever since.

Arcturus is just the first GPU we started after going back to using code names in the driver that are completely unrelated to the marketing name. The change should mean one less thing to worry about when we push Linux drivers out to a public repo on the way to upstream.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ag3ufk/radeon_vii_putting_the_pieces_together/ee6671u/

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
#Team2019 welfare check
Lol

I think PSVR 2 gets announced with PS5 and will be there at launch. That'll be the best chance for VR to grow next gen. I personally think it should be wireless.

Sony doesn't seem to be losing anything on VR and can justify further support as growth potential compared to another handheld for example.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now yes. But they're getting completely overshadowed by Stadia and xCloud.
i don't understand. You mean the two competting services that don't even have a price yet? Hard to overshadow something when the competitors are still in development.
As someone who had been around long enough to see multiple generations of consoles, I am way beyond taking empty words seriously. There are many good and bad gaming services that have came and gone with advertising that were basically fabrication. It is more important to identify what the company is NOT telling us, then to simply focus on what they choose to say. And the silence is deafening for both Stadia and xCloud in terms of all the hard questions they needed answering.

How would the service work?
and
How is it going to be paid for?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Well now I'm just mad! I just bought a new LG oled last year for 2500!!! Oh well guess I need another

To be fair the writing was on the wall :)

I have the 2014 model and been waiting for the HDMI 2.1 to upgrade.

My advice would be to wait until the 2020 models are announced, because next year we'll have new panels for the first time in the last years, and then decide if they're worth it or just get the 2019 models

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Right now yes. But they're getting completely overshadowed by Stadia and xCloud.
Neither of those services have announced pricing or libraries even, there's a lot of optimistic assumptions about them.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if all this streaming talk is pushing more people to sign up for Now, even if just to try it.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To be fair the writing was on the wall :)

I have the 2014 model and been waiting for the HDMI 2.1 to upgrade.

My advice would be to wait until the 2020 models are announced, because next year we'll have new panels for the first time in the last years, and then decide if they're worth it or just get the 2019 models
I have a 65" B6 and will wait until 2020 too. I hope at this point the base price of these sort of TVs have gone down a bit.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Errrrrr......

PSNow is a streaming/local service that is already in multiple regions has a pricing model and is pretty much just primed to be built on top of. And somehow its getting overshadowed by two service that doesn't even exist yet?

And this s because you feel sony will be totally unable to compete with those services..... the samesony that did PSVue which is a live TV service........ I think you are underestimating sony and overestimating google and MS.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on 4chan said it's the PS5 controller for the devkit. I'm almost certain it's a fake but as the reflections of the light on the controller looks real I post it here, maybe a 3rd party controller?

manettes4k9l.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Someone on 4chan said it's the PS5 controller for the devkit. I'm almost certain it's a fake but as the reflections of the light on the controller looks real I post it here, maybe a 3rd party controller?

manettes4k9l.png
Welp, if this is real, i guess ps5 leak season is now starting.
Should be noted that a developer ds4 also leaked ahead of the ps4 reveal and was also fatter than the final ds4, so this might not be final.

Jan 21, 2019
Should be noted that a developer ds4 also leaked ahead of the ps4 reveal and was also fatter than the final ds4, so this might not be final.

Dev kits are also more powerful than the normal units. Think we will get overblown specs that only account for what the devs have in their studios, or the real world numbers we get to buy?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Dev kits are also more powerful than the normal units. Think we will get overblown specs that only account for what the devs have in their studios, or the real world numbers we get to buy?
The developers should also receive spec sheet of the final console.
And sony usually doesnt make an overclocked dev kit from what i know.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about the form factor on any devkit controllers, even if they're real. A touchscreen is a terrible idea though, just like it was on the WiiU. Don't make me split my attention between the controller and TV.

Errrrrr......

PSNow is a streaming/local service that is already in multiple regions has a pricing model and is pretty much just primed to be built on top of. And somehow its getting overshadowed by two service that doesn't even exist yet?

And this s because you feel sony will be totally unable to compete with those services..... the samesony that did PSVue which is a live TV service........ I think you are underestimating sony and overestimating google and MS.
Yeah you have that right. You just seem to like giving Sony a much bigger benefit of the doubt.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it is weird time frame wise . we had the leak of DS4 on feb 2013 which was long after june 2012 where we got the gpu leak . we have the controler leak and somehow we have no idea about gpu.even AMD has no idea apparently about GPU as no one is talking about navi.

PS. it would be a shame to remove the speaker from the pad as this picture suggests .

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
it is weird time frame wise . we had the leak of DS4 on feb 2013 which was long after june 2012 where we got the gpu leak . we have the controler leak and somehow we have no idea about gpu.even AMD has no idea apparently about GPU as no one is talking about navi.

PS. it would be a shame to remove the speaker from the pad as this picture suggests .
It looks like two speakers? Look on the side of the touchpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.