What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine a version of this, where they argue how unnoticeable shorter loading times are.

giphy.gif

God, why did you have to remind me of this? Almost seven years later and I still can't take the vast majority of the US gaming press seriously.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Based on the results of Liabe Brave 's measurements I have updated my GPU Layout Analyzer with GPU and SOC die size estimations. The estimations don't contain RT HW support because we don't know the implementation (yet). But the estimation should give us a good view what to expect at a minimum from a die size perspective.

It should be mentioned based on the results The Dream can be become true!
Used values are linked to my prediction but the model can calculate results based on other memory interface widths.

Also stealth edited my prediction to adapt and add the additional information.

HEfrLgl.png
Awesome work as always..... I still believe the dream is highly unlikely though, especially when we throw in RT hardware and possibly more RAM than 16GB. Just adding another pair of mem controllers will tack on another like 18mm2 or so.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
I'm glad Matt has calmed the waters somewhat with his educated guess. I don't think there are many people who would disagree that the next Xbox will edge out the next PS performance wise. Though It will be nowhere close to the gulf that has been previously implied by the abandoned 'sandwich' strategy.

I can't find his post, could you link it please? :)

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding price, I think both will target premium price and both will keep current gen as a cheap alternative for at least a year.

That is a given. People freaking out about games being held back because of Current Gen consoles will still happen to an extent. By the time PS5 launches the PS4 as a whole will have upwards towards 90million+ units out in the wild, Sony is not stupid. They are not going to just STOP making games that work on the PS4 with that many users will have. IMHO, we will see at least 2 years support/cross generation games that run on both the PS4/PRO and PS5 and the same on the Xbox side of things. There are just too many units of those consoles that both Sony and MS cannot ignore. I think there will be some games that will be Next Gen only, but the majority 90% imho will be cross gen for at least 2 years or so (maybe a little less).

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I still cannot believe that was a thing. Are those guys still in the industry? I don't know how anyone could take them seriously again.

I'm glad Matt has calmed the waters somewhat with his educated guess. I don't think there are many people who would disagree that the next Xbox will edge out the next PS performance wise. Though It will be nowhere close to the gulf that has been previously implied by the abandoned 'sandwich' strategy.

I think it's best to not treat it as a forgone conclusion that either the PS5 or next Xbox will be the most powerful. In terms of GPU power I'm sitting at 50/50, but I still feel each console will have its list of things it does better than the other console and it won't be as clear cut on which is superior.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I don't believe at all Sony will go with $499 price,but we'll see.

That would be disappointing, from my perspective. While the OG PS4 was a great deal at that price, I don't have the same feelings about the PRO. I can't even remember last time I switched it off 1080p.

But..
Didn't Matt say Sony was ready to launch in 2019, their specs were locked down but suddenly decided to wait till a 2020 launch?
But... if Generation 1 Hybrid NAVI does NOT have Raytracing and next years 2020 NAVI does.., unless they decided to (impossibly) go back to the drawing board and make (impossible) critical and major changes in such short amount of time, it doesn't make any sense Cerny would say in April 2019 they will have Raytracing and launch in 2020.

Matt seemed so certain they could have launched in 2019 and simply delayed it to 2020 for a reason unknown to us.

NAVI was supposed to be a 2018 product. From the various rumors that were floating around, it being delayed a ~year could've very well delayed PS5 plans. plans.
Maybe AMD RT was never part of Sony's plan as they had their own solution?

I still cannot believe that was a thing. Are those guys still in the industry? I don't know how anyone could take them seriously again.

They are and they've moved up the ladder, a couple of them at least.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
He is debunking Reiner, a trustable source, while claiming he knows more by saying Scarlett will have 12 Core Zen 2 and RDNA 2 while PS5 will have RDNA 1 with no hardware RT...

IMO,

Don't bother wasting your time watching. It's really not worth the effort. Debunking the claims is worthless as well; ends up baiting the less informed audience.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What's your definition of miniscule? People here are saying 10-20% would be negligible which I think is odd.

10-20% while on paper may not sound like a lot, but it depends on where that 10-20% is. I think the real battle ground this gen is where each consoles CPU is clocked/rated at. I think a 10% difference in GPU is not going cause much of a difference, but a 10% in CPU however can be more impactful. Let's say a game is targeting 60fps, a system that has a 10% advantage in CPU performance will possibly be able to hit that target more consistently than the other even with the same game on each system running at the same resolution etc.. If it is closer to 20% in CPU performance then that will be even more stable frame rates.

Right now, we don't know enough about each console to even suggest where or how much more powerful one will be over the other. If an "assumption" suggests one is 10-20% more powerful I still think it is too early to really say due to where we don't know where that difference is in the system. One can have 10% more memory or 10% higher bandwidth etc. We just don't know enough to really have a good conversation about it. My paragraph above is just speculation on if the power difference is in the CPU but that is just shit coming out of my ass because we don't have enough information to really have a good conversation about it. That is what is somewhat amusing about this thread is some are talking like actual NUMBERS have been announced.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
10-20% while on paper may not sound like a lot, but it depends on where that 10-20% is. I think the real battle ground this gen is where each consoles CPU is clocked/rated at. I think a 10% difference in GPU is not going cause much of a difference, but a 10% in CPU however can be more impactful. Let's say a game is targeting 60fps, a system that has a 10% advantage in CPU performance will possibly be able to hit that target more consistently than the other even with the same game on each system running at the same resolution etc.. If it is closer to 20% in CPU performance then that will be even more stable frame rates.

Right now, we don't know enough about each console to even suggest where or how much more powerful one will be over the other. If an "assumption" suggests one is 10-20% more powerful I still think it is too early to really say due to where we don't know where that difference is in the system. One can have 10% more memory or 10% higher bandwidth etc. We just don't know enough to really have a good conversation about it. My paragraph above is just speculation on if the power difference is in the CPU but that is just shit coming out of my ass because we don't have enough information to really have a good conversation about it. That is what is somewhat amusing about this thread is some are talking like actual NUMBERS have been announced.

I don't expect CPUs to be the weak link they were current gen. 10-20% GPU power, tflops, could be the difference between a game that locks at 30 or 60fps actually sitting at those locked frames. That's been my let down this gen. At 8-10 Tf, would that 1-2Tf difference in GPU power really be unnoticeable? Am I just overthinking it due to ignorance on my part?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

The easy solution to this is to design the game to run locked at 60fps on the 10% slower CPU platform. In such a case a 10 or even 20% difference in CPU clock won't be evident.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Did Sony really have plans to release PS5 in 2019, and then changed it, or it was just Microsoft speculation which lead to 2 sku strategy ?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That is a given. People freaking out about games being held back because of Current Gen consoles will still happen to an extent. By the time PS5 launches the PS4 as a whole will have upwards towards 90million+ units out in the wild, Sony is not stupid. They are not going to just STOP making games that work on the PS4 with that many users will have. IMHO, we will see at least 2 years support/cross generation games that run on both the PS4/PRO and PS5 and the same on the Xbox side of things. There are just too many units of those consoles that both Sony and MS cannot ignore. I think there will be some games that will be Next Gen only, but the majority 90% imho will be cross gen for at least 2 years or so (maybe a little less).

3rd parties will certainly continue releasing games for current gen systems as well, at least for the first year, but did Sony release their own big games on PS2 after the PS3 launch? After all, it had a vast userbase as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's first party will be next gen only. Their job is to push the PS5.

Now stuff like MLB, sure. GoW 2 and Horizon 2? PS5 only without a doubt.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Can you point to exactly where? I rewatched the E3 Scarlett video, and they never mention an HDD (nor do I remember that from my previous viewings).

Actually, due to the point above I just watched the Scarlett video from the official Xbox channel on Youtube. The "It eats monsters for breakfast" line at the end is edited out. (Also, Phil Spencer quotes are added at a couple points.)

Do not read anything into this. I just thought it was a funny coincidence with your question.
I do not remember this to be the case.

Sorry I was wrong I thought I heard HDD!

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yep. And for the PS3 —> PS4 transition, there was Gran Turismo 6.

One of the things I appreciate about Sony is that they support their consoles throughout their lifespan, rather than pulling the plug on their consoles early to focus on maximising their launch lineup for the next gen. The latter approach really feels like turning your back on your customers, at least to me. I'm not a fan.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
With powerful Ryzen 8 core CPU,Navi GPU and ultra fast SSD i just can't see it being priced 399$. My guess is 449$or 499$ with 40-50$ loss per console at beggining. I don't think they'll go higher than 499$(PS3 flashbacks).

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
A single game, that started devlopment on PS2, and was only released 2,5-3 years later on PS3. Hardly a common cross-gen game.

You asked a question and I answered. And its development schedule was probably set before PS3 got pushed from spring to late fall and therefore was intended to be a game that released for the prior generation an entire year later.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A single game, that started devlopment on PS2, and was only released 2,5-3 years later on PS3. Hardly a common cross-gen game.
Yep. And for the PS3 —> PS4 transition, there was Gran Turismo 6.

One of the things I appreciate about Sony is that they support their consoles throughout their lifespan, rather than pulling the plug on their consoles early to focus on maximising their launch lineup for the next gen. The latter approach really feels like turning your back on your customers, at least to me. I'm not a fan.

And they released GOW Ascension during the same year of the release of the PS4.
Don't forget that TLOU2, GOT, Bluepoint game and maybe otehr unkown exclusievs will release later on PS4 during the same year of the PS5 or even later. That is why I still think GOW2 may release on PS4 after the PS5 release just like the any second GOW game per PlayStation platform especially that the engien is ready.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
With powerful Ryzen 8 core CPU,Navi GPU and ultra fast SSD i just can't see it being priced 399$. My guess is 449$or 499$ with 40-50$ loss per console at beggining. I don't think they'll go higher than 499$(PS3 flashbacks).

While I agree, keep in mind both the cpu and gpu are mid range items more than a year before release. At time of release, they'll be low-mid range products. SSD prices are already what HDD prices were at release of ps4, more or less.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree, keep in mind both the cpu and gpu are mid range items more than a year before release. At time of release, they'll be low-mid range products. SSD prices are already what HDD prices were at release of ps4, more or less.

From the most recent steam hardware survey, 80% of users have 4 or fewer CPU cores. 8 core, 16 thread CPU is absolutely not mid range now and won't be low-mid next year

same with any GPU with hardware RT

And the likely SSD speeds will be ahead of most PC builds for a couple of years at least

This upcoming generation will be very much more comparative to gaming PCs than ps4/xb1 were at launch

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that TLOU2, GOT, Bluepoint game and maybe otehr unkown exclusievs will release later on PS4 during the same year of the PS5 or even later. That is why I still think GOW2 may release on PS4 after the PS5 release just like the any second GOW game per PlayStation platform especially that the engien is ready.

GOW2 will be a PS5 only game.
Sony is not going to bring out a PS4 game 2 plus years into PS5 life .
Not when they say the want people to move over fast to PS5.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Not to mention between both consoles we're looking at upwards of 2 million a month being made for the first few years. Which will lower parts pricing substantially.

While SSD's will be a great addition to consoles and I get the wow factor, I think that alone pushing the SRP's to a higher level is overestimated.

That isn't to rule out $500+ happening. Many combined factors are required to do that I would think.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
GOW2 will be a PS5 only game.
Sony is not going to bring out a PS4 game 2 plus years into PS5 life .
Not when they say the want people to move over fast to PS5.

Why 2+ years afetr PS5 launch? It can be ready by 2021 especially that the engine settings and everything is ready even the cut bosses. Remaking an engine from scratch for PS5 is what will take more years. It would be really not wise to release the game on PS5 5 or more years after its launch.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They really said that? Then I wonder how long after the PS5 comes out they will keep supporting the good old PS4.

Yes Jim said that on there IR day .
Now that can mean many things but you will think having there big IP exclusive on PS5 will be part of that .
I don't expect Sony to support PS4 for more than a year after PS5 is out .

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Why 2+ years afetr PS5 launch? It can be ready by 2021 especially that the engine settings and everything is ready even the cut bosses. Remaking an engine from scratch for PS5 is what will take more years. It would be really not wise to release the game on PS5 5 or more years after its launch.
i personally expect it in early 2022, instead putting spiderman in late 2021 ( yea i know spiderman has less time to hit that target but also the first spiderman had 3 years of development, and they can reuse a lot of assets and mechanics from the previous game)

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
From the most recent steam hardware survey, 80% of users have 4 or fewer CPU cores. 8 core, 16 thread CPU is absolutely not mid range now and won't be low-mid next year

same with any GPU with hardware RT

And the likely SSD speeds will be ahead of most PC builds for a couple of years at least

This upcoming generation will be very much more comparative to gaming PCs than ps4/xb1 were at launch

People playing games on old laptops doesn't change how a product stacks up against what's on the market right now. 5700 and 3700 are mid range products.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I expect the new GOW to take at least 3 plus years .
It could be ready in 2021 but i put years 4 to be on the safe side .
They not going to remake the engine from scratch for PS5 they will add to it like the lighting system they cut .
Also the reason why the new GOW took so long was because there were rebooting it and the combat system.
In the GOW doc the even talk about how they waste a year over story aspects , it will not take so long to come out on PS5.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I expect the new GOW to take at least 3 plus years .
It could be ready in 2021 but i put years 4 to be on the safe side .
They not going to remake the engine from scratch for PS5 they will add to it like the lighting system they cut .

In that case they can release it on PS4 (they can't ignore it due to its huge install abse so the gains are secured compared to PS5) and add more lighting effects like RT and stuff like that for PS5 with BC.
This can be ready in less than 3 years, even people didn't expect Death Stranding to be ready by this year (while I was the only one to have expected that), this is thanks to an already established engine, existing assets and worlds, cut bosses and succesful level design and gameplay.
No way a full fledged GOW game for PS5 would take less than 5 years or more. They can work meanwhile on the dedicated PS5 engine and final episode of this Norse chapter.

Oct 25, 2017
The install base on PS3 didn't stop first party games from being PS4 only. Those games also had no problem selling well on a much smaller install base.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
In that case they can release it on PS4 (they can't ignore it due to its huge install abse so the gains are secured compared to PS5) and add more lighting effects like RT and stuff like that for PS5 with BC.
This can be ready in less than 3 years, even people didn't expect Death Stranding to be ready by this year (while I was the only one to have expected that), this is thanks to an already established engine, existing assets and worlds, cut bosses and succesful level design and gameplay.
No way a full fledged GOW game for PS5 would take less than 5 years or more. They can work meanwhile on the dedicated PS5 engine and final episode of this Norse chapter.

You seem to be ignoring the reason why it took so long on PS4 in the first place .
The engine was not a huge part of that the story and combat system were and they have figure that out for the most part .
I expect DS to come out on time and it did some people on Era have a habit of making things a bigger deal than they are .
Also you seem to be confusing big user base with active user base .
People will be moving over to PS5 having a huge base PS4 don't matter as much when most active\ user spending the most money on PS5.

EDIT did you even look at the making of GOW doc ?
You seem to be putting the delay time to much on engine trouble.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't think the next god of war would be that short on development time. A sequel will take a few years. Probably like 2022. So yeah it ain't coming to ps4. Dev times during the ps2 era with the team size isn't comparable.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't believe a game releasing two years after PS5 launch will be PS4 compatible. Jim Ryan said they want early adopter to switch fast on PS5. It will be done with first-party exclusive game...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You seem to be ignoring the reason why it took so long on PS4 in the first place .
The engine was not a huge part of that the story and combat system were and they have figure that out for the most part .
I expect DS to come out on time and it did some people on Era have a habit of making things a bigger deal than they are .
Also you seem to be confusing big user base with active user base .
People will be moving over to PS5 having a huge base PS4 don't matter as much when most active\ user spending the most money on PS5.

EDIT did you even look at the making of GOW doc ?
You would see to put the delay time to much on engine trouble.

Yeah I don't think the next god of war would be that short on development time. A sequel will take a few years. Probably like 2022. So yeah it ain't coming to ps4. Dev times during the ps2 era with the team size isn't comparable.

If they took time figuting yout the new settings, the enw gameplay, the new leveld design and everything else, why don't you think they won't want to do the same for PS5 with improved or revamped gameplay system like going full open world this time with ridable dragons or other mytholigical creatures even giants to free roam the entire worlds especially that the PS5 will allow such type of gameplay?
Things can happen at any time and will require tiem in that case so it can be either very short or very long liek I explained for both situations.

I don't believe a game releasing two years after PS5 launch will be PS4 compatible. Jim Ryan said they want early adopter to switch fast on PS5. It will be done with first-party exclusive game...

That is why i said it could be done by early 2021 for PS4 as last swan song like GOW2 for PS2 and GOW:A for PS3 (after all every PlayStation console had 2 GOW games even PSP except the Vita), or take very long to release during the PS5 cycle as full PS5 game.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If they took time figuting yout the new settings, the enw gameplay, the new leveld design and everything else, why don't you think they won't want to do the same for PS5 with improved or revamped gameplay system like going full open world this time with ridable dragons or other mytholigical creatures even giants to free roam the entire worlds especially that the PS5 will allow such type of gameplay?
Things can happen at any time and will require tiem in that case so it can be either very short or very long liek I explained for both situations.

You are not making any sense .
Why would they all of a sudden try to revamped the game or change the game type .
This new one is the best selling GOW ever they not going to revamped everything the just build .
The reason they did that in first place was because the IP was dying , that is not a problem now.
They will build on what they have just like all sequels do .
Not to mention that SSM went threw some troubling times this gen and it make sense to play it safer for now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

That is why i said it could be done by early 2021 for PS4 as last swan song like GOW2 for PS2 and GOW:A for PS3 (after all every PlayStation console had 2 GOW games even PSP except the Vita), or take very long to release during the PS5 cycle as full PS5 game.
if such a big game was coming as a ps4/ps5, sony wouldnt have cancelled E3.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The "swan song" exclusive for PS4 is TLoU II like TLoU for PS3.

It could be GOT depend on what you calling a swan song .

Every PS system also have a new IP from ND that gen but that did not happen this gen .
If things had work out we would have gotten 2 games from SSM this gen a new IP and GOW .
But the new IP got cancel things don't always be like the past.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Let's not forget that these modern game engines are designed for > 2tf consoles from the start and ported over to their mid gen counterparts and the PC market as well.

These are powerful machines we're talking here, sure they'll not be rebuilding their engines from scratch but they'll take a couple of years from when they first get their dev kits to fully utilise the power of these beasts as the bare minimum of game benchmarks going forward for the next couple of years.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
What's your definition of miniscule? People here are saying 10-20% would be negligible which I think is odd.
18 years later, people view 2-3x difference as 'basically on par' and even claim the weaker hw could not be matched in their favourite exclusives.
So yea, 10% is pretty meaningless, not that it will stop spec wars proclamations.

Status
Not open for further replies.