• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed lately but from the talk I see about RDNA2, do we know yet if the new consoles will be capable of variable rate shading?
It hasn't been confirmed but there have been interviews with AMD where it has been mentioned in the same breath as raytracing so I think it's likely. Seems like the sort of feature both companies would push for being included if at all possible.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The key way to think of these relationships as asymptotic and leading to diminishing returns. No matter how much thermal mass you add with a heatsink, you still have a thermal chokepoint driven by the surface area of the IHS. This means a linear increase in surface area of your thermal solution don't result in a linear increase in your cooling performance (thermal resistance does not decrease linearly). One way to mitigate is to change heatsink material, but that can increase cost greatly.

Bear in mind you can always increase the air flow over the finned area to remove more heat (higher air velocity increases the overall heat transfer coefficient, because you're decreasing the thermal resistances to heat transfer between metal fins and bulk air flow; I.e. lower film coefficient and lower average air temps means a higher driving force for heat transfer).

So increasing the heat sink surface area only sees an asymptotic curve with constant air flow, but even then the flow characteristics of the air over the finned area, as well as the temperature profile from the core to the bulk air fluid all play as much of a part in informing the design.

There are more levers in a designers toolbox than just finned area and heatsink material (I.e. metal thermal conductivity).

Feb 10, 2018
It's interesting that klee said that the next gen game he saw did not look as polished as a unity or UE4 tech demo.
I'm having trouble thinking what somthing much better then this gen but not as good as tech demos will look like.
I'm guessing similar to star citizen but a bit more advanced.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Bear in mind you can always increase the air flow over the finned area to remove more heat (higher air velocity increases the overall heat transfer coefficient, because you're decreasing the thermal resistances to heat transfer between metal fins and bulk air flow; I.e. lower film coefficient and lower average air temps means a higher driving force for heat transfer).

So increasing the heat sink surface area only sees an asymptotic curve with constant air flow, but even then the flow characteristics of the air over the finned area, as well as the temperature profile from the core to the bulk air fluid all play as much of a part in informing the design.

There are more levers in a designers toolbox than just finned area and heatsink material (I.e. metal thermal conductivity).
Now you're competing against acceptable acoustics.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

I agree with what he's saying, and I believe he's saying that no matter how good everything else is (including what you are talking about) te IHS is stil the chokepoint. How quickly can that heat be moved from the IHS to the heatsink? No matter how good whatever you put on top the IHS is, be it a larger heat sink or even liquid cooling, the IHS generally heats up faster than you can cool it.

A perfect cooler would be something that could somehow constantly pass like a -40 deg C liquid over the IHS without causing condensation and with finer temp control than say liquid nitrogen. That way you can move of heat from the IHS as quickly as it can heat up. In said perfect world we would be able to have processors that can clock twice as high while using less than twice the power because what makes that power curve climb is that as the chip gets hotter it takes more to raise clocks, and the more power you add the faster it gets hotter lol.
Now you're competing against acceptable acoustics.
Thats not even the main issue with what hes saying. Like even if we assume people don't mind if the console sounds like a jet engine... no amount of air-fin arrangement will circumvent the fact that the IHS is still the choke point. Air coolers don't suddenly work twice as good by simply putting on a much more powerful fan. There are improvements, but marginal at best.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we get double digit GPU who is going to be disappointed?!? I need names.
if you watch the stream, it doesnt seem like he expects double digit GPUs. hes comparing current gen games with the same game running on the 5700xt 40 cu gpu running at 1.8 ghz. curious that he acknowledges Propero and Gonzalo as shakespeare characters but doesnt even bring up Oberon's 2.0 ghz clock speed which shouldve put the 40 cu 5700xt at 10.4 tflops.

he does go on to say that the next gen consoles are going to be awesome, but he says dont compare the tflops because of the architectural change.

edit: they are doing a Q&A now, if no one asks him about tflops im gonna riot.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
they also have said this will be the biggest compute jump in consoles history and raytracing in PS5 is way more advanced than what is in scarlett!
The PS5 raytracing thing is not what they said. The writer said their source had a really confusing statement that they and several devs couldn't parse so they didn't even publish it and that was one possible interpretation.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 raytracing thing is not what they said. The writer said their source had a really confusing statement that they and several devs couldn't parse so they didn't even publish it and that was one possible interpretation.
didnt the writer come here and post that one dev said ps5 had better ray tracing but then some other dev said that it was microsoft who had better ray tracing.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Just watching the video, sounds like the CPU performance jump is going to be a lot higher then the anticipated 4x improvement.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think that was a great presentation. And I would fully agree if we weren't getting leaks of double-digit TF numbers. but I sincerely believe a ~9TF Navi GPU is around what we will be getting. And that's great when you compare it to pictarin and Polaris which is what the current gen is based on now.

If we get anything above 9TF (so say 10TF) I would be truly pleasantly surprised.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Oner of the inconsistencies of the enxt-gen consoels (at least for PS5 since it officially its 4K Bluray drive) that they are labeled as 8K consoles yet they gonna pack only a 4K bluray player with capacity to only read 4K discs. That is abummer to be honest, they need at least twice the size of the 4K Bluray and and a faster and better 8K drive.
Please don't tell me there is streaming VOD servcies or stuff like that. No one on earth has an internet to stream 8K streams flawlessly.
A big bummer since the consoles especially for Sony could be a great opportunity to promote 8K TVs next year which will broadcast Tokyo Olympics in some of the 8K channels.
Again you gonna tell me there may be some 8K games like remastered games or BC enahcned games or some not demanding next-gen games in 8K but here I am talking about movies not games.
BDXL disks already support 8k video, so if the drive in the ps5 supports bdxl media, it should support 8k video.

Tried to talk to her, but cockblocked by Ray Tracy.
No surprise there, he's Dick Tracy's older brother.

edryr

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Just watching the video, sounds like the CPU performance jump is going to be a lot higher then the anticipated 4x improvement.

I remember seeing bench and videos some time ago, where benchers were testing jaguar ( athlon 5370 ) vs zen+. Under cinebench and blender, with same core count and frequency, zen+ was 3.64 times faster.
So compared to ps4 cpu against zen2 @3.2 with smt, should be around 10x faster under same benchmarks.
But it won't translate to x10 in games of course.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
I'm probably more excited about VR improvements over next-gen console specs improvements LOL

Wasn't MS planning on VR? I recall they talked about VR back in 2016 or so, before the Xbox One X presentation and how the X(then Scorpio) was going to be compatible with it. Nothing came from that... yet, AFAIK.

As for Sony, reaaaaally excited about the comments on haptics for the DS5 as that could mean an even bigger push for VR. I do wonder if we'll see a PSVR successor before year 3 into its lifecycle, though.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I always said will be 8-9 tflops. No more than that. 9 rdna's tflops is 100% over Xbox one x gpu. It is fine.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
4x was the number given by MS for the improvement over the Xbox One X. If you take the base PS4 clock speeds, which every game's CPU load is based on, it's closer to 6x. Considering the X and the Pro didn't really utilize the extra CPU speed for anything but just running the same code a bit faster, the improvement will be huge for a new baseline.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I mean COME ON!!!???

At this rate, even the HDMI cable will have a code name.

If they include a low cost HDMI 2.1 cable, it just might. It's not really unusual for a product like this to have a bunch of code names to deliberately obscure conversations and compartmentalize information. I've worked on projects that had many more code names attached to different aspects, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were dozens associated with PS5.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
HAO5mz4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.