• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A side-effect of SSD is to accelerate... download. I just subscribed to a 10Gbs Internet at home and the difference between dowloading on the internal SSD of the PS4 Pro and the external USB3 HD is like a penguin and a gull. It's extremely counter-intuitive to think that a broadband line can be limited by local storage, but that's the deal with fiber.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xjzR30w.gif

It's tub time!

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Historically, PlayStation SDKs have more memory but the same performance as retail units. I don't expect Prospero to be any different.

With Microsoft it's a little bit more guesswork. Scorpio SDK was 6.6TF(they had 44 CUs IIRC) but even so, I don't expect major differences there either.

BTW, both APUs have variable rate shading, I don't remember if I mentioned that before. I checked the Threadmark and I didn't see it anywhere 🤷‍♂️
Thx for answer, variable rate shading for ps5 is new info ;) i think its minor feature but better have it than not.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A side-effect of SSD is to accelerate... download. I just subscribed to a 10Gbs Internet at home and the difference between dowloading on the internal SSD of the PS4 Pro and the external USB3 HD is like a penguin and a gull. It's extremely counter-intuitive to think that a broadband line can be limited by local storage, but that's the deal with fiber.
Yep, when you start going into the hundreds or MB or even GB, the write capacity of the storage medium hampers the speed of the connection. Heck, even your Ethernet connection probably doesn't support that bandwidth.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Both have VRS?
Gooood.
That should be a nice boost to performance when properly implemented

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Edit wait what? Zen 3 gonna have 64 cores/128 threads? O_O
And still use DDR4? XD By then DDR5 should already have released.

I really wished next-gen consoles at least another year for 2021. By then we would be sure they will have Zen 3 and RDNA2 (if not 3)

Last edited:

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
And before anyone asks, I know very little about PS5 SSD other than it is highly specialized/custom and has mega performance.

I think if anyone talks about it, SIE will issue an immediate Order 66 on the guilty party.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I just have read that expansion cartridges are oficially confirmed by Sony but I can only see this source: https://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-v...hacen-oficiales-los-cartuchos-de-memoria-ssd/

Anyone else can confirm?

We all can confirm that it's fake.

I'm Spanish and that web (as many others) tend to post fake news like that just for the click bait. None of those webs have proper leakers or insiders, they just check Era or Gaf and make up news based on threads like this.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If Klee knows anything and can say something about it, then he will. There's no need to keep fishing for leaks from him, especially if you care about him getting into issues with his sources/friends.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Historically, PlayStation SDKs have more memory but the same performance as retail units. I don't expect Prospero to be any different.

With Microsoft it's a little bit more guesswork. Scorpio SDK was 6.6TF(they had 44 CUs IIRC) but even so, I don't expect major differences there either.

BTW, both APUs have variable rate shading, I don't remember if I mentioned that before. I checked the Threadmark and I didn't see it anywhere 🤷‍♂️
Awesome to hear about VRS! I was worried about how they would drive 4K without it since there seems to be little talk of reconstruction in regards to these consoles. Sounds like AMD really came through on CPU and GPU.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
And before anyone asks, I know very little about PS5 SSD other than it is highly specialized/custom and has mega performance.

I think if anyone talks about it, SIE will issue an immediate Order 66 on the guilty party.

That's the one thing that worries me when I think about Scarlett's hardware.

Sony appears to have invested a lot in customising the ssd for maximum speeds, and we all know that (according to rumours) Scarlett is also using a "quite fast ssd but not as fast as that on the Ps5" and so I would like to ask you if the following situation could happen when these consoles are released:

Could Scarlett's ssd "compromise" next gen games because of its supposed slower speeds?

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Awesome to hear about VRS! I was worried about how they would drive 4K without it since there seems to be little talk of reconstruction in regards to these consoles. Sounds like AMD really came through on CPU and GPU.

Even better, they are doing some new stuff in these consoles that I am totally unfamiliar with.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
That's the one thing that worries me when I think about Scarlett's hardware.

Sony appears to have invested a lot in customising the ssd for maximum speeds, and we all know that (according to rumours) Scarlett is also using a "quite fast ssd but not as fast as that on the Ps5" and so I would like to ask you if the following situation could happen when these consoles are released:

Could Scarlett's ssd "compromise" next gen games because of its supposed slower speeds?

Nah. It's fast, it just seems like Sony's SSD system (hardware /software)might be really, really fast.

That said, don't worry about Scarlett. It's plenty, plenty powerful.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
How do you know it was running on a Pro? I've been saying this game was shown off on next gen hardware for a while. I'm sure the Pro can get close with worse aliasing and lower resolution.
Journalist have seen the game being played live on that E3 in behind the closed door meetings. It was running on PS4 Pro, and devs just repeated the same demo without any gameplay deviations.

It's a PS4 game. Sony also mentioned it in its PS4 slate at recent investor presentation.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Klee bring that great info .
Truth is when we start getting spec for these system you could tell that they really blance everything .
They won't be any big bottle necks like the past systems we are in for a hell of a jump when it comes to almost everything .
Next gen games going shock people with how good they look and what they going to be doing.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's fast, it just seems like Sony's SSD system (hardware /software)might be really, really fast.

That said, don't worry about Scarlett. It's plenty, plenty powerful.
MS said Scarlett SSD is roughly 40x faster. So 4GBps. Werent the patents on the PS5 SSD pointing to a 5GBps or even 8-10 GBps.

does anyone have a link to that patent?

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
MS said Scarlett SSD is roughly 40x faster. So 4GBps. Werent the patents on the PS5 SSD pointing to a 5GBps or even 8-10 GBps.

does anyone have a link to that patent?
I think PCIE4 can hit about 5 GB/s real world without much custom work done, and then some Samsung parts have been advertising going up to 8 GB/s using a couple of machine learning tricks. If that's the range we're dealing with and the difference between the two systems that'd make sense.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The numbers there were purely illustrative. Ranged from 1GB/s to like 20. Not really 'pointing' to anything specific wrt the actual product.
i see. thanks
I think PCIE4 can hit about 5 GB/s real world without much custom work done, and then some Samsung parts have been advertising going up to 8 GB/s using a couple of machine learning tricks. If that's the range we're dealing with and the difference between the two systems that'd make sense.
Cerny did say that it will be faster than anything currently on the market. so 5GB+ should be the baseline.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks Klee.

Still getting a feeling you are not telling us everything you know. I follow this thread and you are always aware what you tell/write. Now you drop the bomb (casualy) that both have VRS.

Hahah. How much more do you know?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I'm saying we may see something like Scarlett SSD=5GB/s and PS5 SSD=8GB/s. PS5 is clearly faster but Scarlett would be plenty capable and not a significant bottleneck,
No doubt. i was just trying to figure out the baseline for the PS5 SSD speed.

i think the only thing that will be a bottleneck next gen is the GPU. which is why its important to put in as many tflops as possible.

it would be useless to have a powerful cpu capable of massive destruction, physics and NPC counts, and not have a GPU powerful enough to render it all. Same goes for SSDs. if SSDs are allowing insanely fast travel across the game world, you need a GPU powerful enough to render all that without pop in.

GPU feature that smartly frees up GPU resources for darker areas that dont need to be rendered. Meaning you can do more with fewer tflops.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Cerny did say that it will be faster than anything currently on the market. so 5GB+ should be the baseline.

I'd say 4GB+ would be the situation - when he made that comment, PCIe3 drives were the standard, which I think tended to be up to that 4GB/s mark. So 4+would take you to 'faster than' territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.