When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The last day before what ?

I finally put in a vote for January in the poll at the top of the page.

Remedy is publicly traded and no one person owns a controlling stake:

Even the top 20 share holder's only own a total of 41% of the company.

How could Sony even realistically buy a company like that? Wouldn't it take a huge amount of people agreeing?

edit: Guess to 20 own 53%, read the wrong number.. so seems a little more possible.

That page shows that Remedy is majority-owned by its employees. That's who would need to be on board.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like watching kids play sports

giphy.gif
What the hell was that kid trying to do? That looks so awkward and unnatural.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
You get too technical you cause PR/mass media problems. You don't talk about numbers at all you get technical voices annoyed and they start to speak for you. It's the early middle ground. It will take time after the launch even before we know exactly what's what.

But weren't they extremely specific with the Xbox One X reveal? Why shift gears? It's not a rhetorical question - I just want to know if there's an answer - but why would it be problematic to announce the numbers for one console before launch and not problematic for another (I'm not aware of MS running into any issues because they let the TF cat out of the bag with the One X).

One difference between that situation and this one is that with the One X, the public knew absolutely where the PS4 Pro stood in terms of processing power. I don't know if that explains why MS has been a little more reticent with the exact details - or if it's still a matter of locking things down that aren't settled yet - but I have a hard time believing that we can't even know until AFTER the launch.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
But weren't they extremely specific with the Xbox One X reveal? Why shift gears? [Snip]

One difference between that situation and this one is that with the One X, the public knew absolutely where the PS4 Pro stood in terms of processing power. I don't know if that explains why MS has been a little more reticent with the exact details - or if it's still a matter of locking things down that aren't settled yet - but I have a hard time believing that we can't even know until AFTER the launch.

That's exactly the salient difference. You have two companies that are in the "sizing up" mode right now. Just like with what you saw with the PS4, marketing and PR plans are very reactive, and it doesn't do either company a lot of good to be throwing out numbers if they aren't certain what the other is doing.

Sticking with broader descriptors works from a flexibility perspective, and those broader descriptors are likely going to mean more to you average consumer than, "XX teraflops!" anyway.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Sticking with broader descriptors works from a flexibility perspective, and those broader descriptors are likely going to mean more to you average consumer than, "XX teraflops!" anyway.

Is that today like that, i mean in my youth there was talk about 16bit and 32bit, or how many colors could be displayed, or sprites at the same time....

I think if your long time competitor really has only 9tf, that new competitor has about 10tf, and you have 12tf, i would print those numbers on the box.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Is that today like that, i mean in my youth there was talk about 16bit and 32bit, or how many colors could be displayed, or sprites at the same time....

I think if your long time competitor really has only 9tf, that new competitor has about 10tf, and you have 12tf, i would print those numbers on the box.

And maybe they will when they know that for sure. Right now is not that time. But there will still be a lot to learn about the performance even after the consoles are out.

You'll still get plenty of buzz words; 4k, 8k, 120hz, all kinds of nonsense that will and won't translate into actual games.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dumbass theory.

If Sony doesn't announce a PS5 reveal event the last day of January or the First day of February then a February reveal is dead.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019

PC gpus are going to be in 20-40tf range next gen so that's probably not that good idea in the long run.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
The SOC's that AMD are building for Microsoft and Sony are *highly* customized specifically for the vendors based on specs, cost, and performance requirements that each platform defines for AMD. There is no off-the-shelf equivalent of anything that goes inside an Xbox or PlayStation, and the idea they are "pre-made" really misunderstands what's happening and sort of diminishes the role of Cerny or the architects at Microsoft in terms of how much custom work goes into the chip.

AMD has IP and Processes. Sony and Microsoft work with AMD's list of available IP and Processes, add in some of their own requirements, and have an entirely new SOC created specifically for them. This process takes years. Everyone is aware that the PS4 Pro GPU had unique HW instructions for temporal reconstruction, as well as support for FP16 that did not exist together in other part of the AMD portfolio. The ability to decode Xbox 360 textures and much of the native DX12 instructions in the Xbox SOC's only appear in the versions that ship on Xbox (the DX stuff I believe ended up in later AMD GPU's.) This is the 'secret sauce' that is so often talked about, and it absolutely can work for (or against) a specific console. I don't think Sony got much mileage out of FP16, and Xbox One's implementation of ESRAM didn't help them as much as expected either. While the Checkerboard techniques helped PS4 Pro a lot, and the ability to decode X360 textures is why you have such a good back compat story on Xbox.

Here's the best way I can think of to describe it. Think of AMD as a Caterer. They have a list of ingredients (e.g. Zen, RDNA, HW RT, etc. etc.) and they also have a set menu based on their ingredients. (RX5000 series, RX Vega series, RX 500 series). Most people think that Xbox and Sony choose from the Menu. But what actually happens is they choose from the ingredients, add in some of their own specific ingredients (DX instructions, Back Compat Code, Checkerboard, etc.) and have an entirely new dish created just for them.

My point is that even though AMD's R&D efforts provide the groundwork, the specific SOC found in PlayStation and Xbox consoles are completely bespoke designs in collaboration with AMD and the platform makers, and are designed years in advance. This is why anyone speculating that wholesale performance changes can happen at any time don't seem to realize how far in advance these decisions are made.

Yes small changes can happen throughout the process and plans evolve from the initial spec to the final production silicon. But you can't grow the performance of the chips this late in the game without restarting some pretty critical, long-pole parts of the process.

I'm only speaking from one side of this, but I'm pretty sure it's similar on the PlayStation side.

EDIT: Upon a re-read, I'm not giving enough credit to AMD's engineers either. It really is a collaboration between the companies. But the performance, cost and business aspects are defined by the consoles. The real silicon engineering is a collaboration.

Wow, post of the thread honestly. That* really frames it for me. 2017 is the year that the hardware decisions had to be made for next gen. Any changes made between now and "Holiday 2020" console launches will be very minor in the grand scheme of things. Thanks so so so much for your input.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
My dumbass theory.

If Sony doesn't announce a PS5 reveal event the last day of January or the First day of February then a February reveal is dead.
My equally dumb theory is to hold out hope for an announcement for the meeting in a Super Bowl ad, otherwise we're stuck until after the FFVII remake is out.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's physically demonstrating what clinging to the Github leaks look like.

No I don't know any specs or if the leaks are right or wrong just having fun in this very entertaining thread
Hahahahaha oh my god.....brilliant!

I do know the specs but no one believes me........I'll tell you. Just don't tell anyone.
14tf, Reram, 24GB-16GB HBM and 8GB DDR4......ssst don't tell them. You and me. Only you and me can know!

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True but wtf does that mean hahahha

by the way, my whole name is a reference to my work.
I have no clue.....I just want to be your IV!!!! Whahaha i just thought it sounded nice and we could be like this set of adventurers.

Ohhh cool. No clue what it could be and I'm to tired to think about...... So next time when we will dance!

Status
Not open for further replies.