When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
It's supposed to have less RAM as well, along with a lower clocked CPU and no BD drive.

If Series X has 10 chips of RAM as is assumed by the E3 video, 6 2GB and 4 1GB to hit 16GB of RAM, Lockhart could just cut those 1GB chips to hit 12GB. That would drastically cut down on the memory bus by 40%.

I would also guess that however many CU's the Series X has, Lockhart will be half it. So if X has 56 active CU and 60 total, I predict Lockhart would have 28 active and 32 total.

A drastically smaller box because of the above and also cheaper cooling as clocks won't be as high as Series X and it should pretty easily save the necessary $150-$200 needed to hit $299.

Interesting. So with 40% less of a memory bus , 4 GB of of ram and a slower clocked cpu the console would not hold back its bigger brother at all? I dont no jack but I feel like it could especially since I dont expect things to line up perfectly. What if they have to lower the cpu more then they want or they reduce the memory more then you think all in the name of getting the price they need.

It would be great if everything works out perfectly and it alsondoesnt require devs to spend to much time optimizing.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

On the package it says "Palystation 5" and "Taype c". 😄

ps5fakepxjo3.png

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Yes. As I said it is subtle but probably significant. Time will tell.
You're probably reading too much into it. Radeon is AMD's product after all so they were just being thorough in their sentence.

RDNA is next generation after GCN. If it was meaning RDNA 2 then it wouldn't need to qualify having Ray Tracing as it is 'standard' in RDNA 2.

Right?
I'm not saying it's RDNA 2 because for all we know it could be RDNA 1.5 like you explained in your previous post. I haven't heard/read AMD mention the word "RDNA 2", so I'm just going with "next-gen RDNA" as that's what they've been calling it for now.

Last edited:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Well they were kinda clear about during CES, last month, they said expect more news about PS5 in the upcoming monthS, not in the next month.

Assuming the statement was grammatically correct, that wouldn't mean specifically that information would drop further out than one month. It would mean that there would be multiple drops of information because "upcoming months" is plural, as in news dropping in several months. So it could be February and March. Or March and May. Or it could have been a poor construct that doesn't mean what it says at all.

The one thing it doesn't do is rule out February as a possibility.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm thinking May. Everything is pointing at Sony wanting to do a event/reveal where they can lay out all the plans, specs, and features for the device.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. So with 40% less of a memory bus , 4 GB of of ram and a slower clocked cpu the console would not hold back its bigger brother at all? I dont no jack but I feel like it could especially since I dont expect things to line up perfectly. What if they have to lower the cpu more then they want or they reduce the memory more then you think all in the name of getting the price they need.

It would be great if everything works out perfectly and it alsondoesnt require devs to spend to much time optimizing.
MS wants devs to build for Series X first and then port down to Lockhart. The opposite happening is supposedly why Lockhart got canned to begin with, but something must have changed for them to bring it back.

Their plan looks to be that Series X is 4K and Lockhart 1440p, and Lockhart having lower quality textures with the RAM difference.

CPU should be the closest comparison between the two as that would need to pick up the weight of the lower spec GPU, and the SSD should be exactly equal.

I think MS is hitting the targets they want in performance and BOM which is why they are supposedly going forward with Lockhart.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a dream and mark cerny was there. Feb 5th was the date of the reveal. No press just online.

Of course that seems too short notice to build any hype. But i was thinking they dont need to invite press. They could reveal to everyone at the same time. And the hype is already there.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I had a dream a few nights ago that Xbox Series X consoles were revealed and I was taking the coverings off of them. They were cardboard consoles. I think had this dream because my brain was remembering back in December when whoever made a cardboard Xbox Series X based on the dimensions of the USB port.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
MS told everyone they were at 12TF back in May. You just had to read into things a bit:

XAWR2gy.png
Hodor.
You're doing the math from the wrong end. Yes, .7mm^2 is only ~6% of an RTX TPC. However, the total size figure also includes increase related to the tensor cores, which presumably will not be present in nextgen console GPUs. Measured against the TU116 TPC of 8.94mm^2, then the RT core's .7mm^2 gives an increase of ~8% (7.83).
You are right, my bad. I didn't take into account the Tensor cores.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the PS5 is around as powerful as the Series X, it's design is going to be an ugly monolith like the Series X. There's no way they will pull off a slim, elegant design with that much power and heat under the hood.
Why do you think they told us the next name of their new game system and only showed that heavily redesigned logo of PS5 during CES 2020?
They were actually thinking of changing the name to: JetEngine5, also internally called JaguarEngine5. They wanted the Jaguar CPU back in PS5 because its raw performance kicks ass and has a nice name.

Assume all these are true:
1.) XSX = 12 TF
2.) PS5 = 9.2 TF
3.) PS5 out performing XSX as of January, according to BG. Other insiders also said that PS5 is more powerful in 2019.

Walk me through how 3.) could be possible.
Fixed and lol trying to figure out how you can connect them all. It's a mess and confusing.

Gotta say that I'm interested in how everything will eventually fit and what we got wrong. :)

Heres the video. 😊

Looks way better than the pro

Looks like PS3 slim and the PS4 Pro had a baby..... I dislike the hamburger design.

You're using very generalized examples for a specific situation. Difference between 12 and 4TFs with all else equal is literally resolution. So unless devs are targeting 1080P games on Series X and PS5, this is not a thing.
Personally i hope XsX and JE5 will settle and target1440p (recommendation for devs). Instead of wasting resources to go to 4k.

Except that design isn't even creative. It's literally just the PlayStation TV lol:
Sensei, welcome back.

Leeen

Apr 15, 2018
You're using very generalized examples for a specific situation. Difference between 12 and 4TFs with all else equal is literally resolution. So unless devs are targeting 1080P games on Series X and PS5, this is not a thing.
Can you actually confirm this or is this speculation? I am pretty sure there are devs out there that would prioritize fidelity over resolution. And based on the system balance they would maybe take some of the ram expensive techniques and transform them to be less ram expensive, but instead more processor expensive. This is just a theoretical example of how the entire engine could be changed based on the balance of TFLOPs in the entire system.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy this if we hadn't seen a picture showing a ~400 mm^2 die and the Github leak showing 56 CUs.

It would mean they built a massively oversized die all to drastically underclock it (1.34 GHz) way below Navi's sweetspot, incurring the additional cost of a huge die on a relatively more expensive node, when they could have saved a bunch of die space and money building a smaller chip to achieve the same TF count.

It would also mean they used a huge, unprecedent form factor suggestive of a robust cooling system to cool a chip with a drastically underclocked GPU.

I get that XBX being ~9.6 TF would answer a lot of questions, but it doesn't comport with the above.

isn't xb1 a bigger die than PS4? And in a big box?

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I had a dream a few nights ago that Xbox Series X consoles were revealed and I was taking the coverings off of them. They were cardboard consoles. I think had this dream because my brain was remembering back in December when whoever made a cardboard Xbox Series X based on the dimensions of the USB port.
Hey! That would be me! We've made the big time now boys, were in dreams!!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The L3 caches takes up about 35mm^2 for an 8-core Zen2, and the whole shebang is about 76mm^2. The "cut down" version evidenced from the Flute leak drops three-quarters of the cache, resulting in a total size of about 50mm^2. You can see what an XSX chip with the full version of Zen2 might be like in my post from the Threadmarks. Let me know if you have any questions.

11.3 for that speculative full cache cpu. Starting to get to a feasible 15% gap between that and a 9.6TF ps5 which would be 'close' in some insiders view.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
well, no esram this time around to take precious space from the CUs and they also designed the 1X which is about the size of PS4pro, quieter and ~40% more powerful

well we don't know what's under the hood. Yes, no esram but maybe they have a full zen with cache (may make it more suited to dual purposing servers for xcloud/azure), or some DLSS equivalent?

the likely option is it'sjust CUs but we don't know for certain

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
No, the reconstruction in Wolfenstein looks sharper because there's a post-process sharpening filter pass in DLSS. The underlying image accuracy is not a leap over previous methods of reconstruction.

How it is done is kind of irrelevant - it just shows how chasing your tail on native resolutions is just a colossal waste of resources at 4K+. The reconstructed images look better than native 4K and run significantly better too - it's a win-win. Which is why it really boggles my mind you have a contingent of people who want native 4K rather than for developers to use the extra power of the new consoles to have better reconstruction and thus better looking/running games.

Often these people who are against the "cheating" of reconstruction are also very keen on VRS, because that "cheating" is ok. For reasons.

Ultimately what we want are the best looking and best running games. That means reconstruction (and VRS, and dynamic res and every other tool in the box developers have to "cheat"). Unless you want worse looking and running games for some bizarre reason.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
We still get a bunch of movies in 4K that have effects rendered in 2k and upscale for cinema projection, or 4K Blu-ray from 2k masters. Generally they still can look amazing

c0c0suma

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Are the rt cores inbuilt in the cus or separte like the rtx cards ?
depending on how you define "separate". It's not in the traditional shader units, but it's coupled/bundled with shader units. Which means usually 1 or a small group of shaders would have a bundled RT Core. So the more the CUs(SMs), the more the RT cores.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
well we don't know what's under the hood. Yes, no esram but maybe they have a full zen with cache (may make it more suited to dual purposing servers for xcloud/azure), or some DLSS equivalent?

the likely option is it'sjust CUs but we don't know for certain
what is certain is that the design philosophy of the XSX is the same of the 1X: maximize power. As stated by Spencer the same team that gave us the 1x is in charge of the xsx. I wouldn't take the OG xbox one as reference as the post I quoted implied

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Since Stadia is 10.7TF, i dont believe we're getting lower than that in both ps5/xboxsx

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
How it is done is kind of irrelevant - it just shows how chasing your tail on native resolutions is just a colossal waste of resources at 4K+. The reconstructed images look better than native 4K and run significantly better too - it's a win-win. Which is why it really boggles my mind you have a contingent of people who want native 4K rather than for developers to use the extra power of the new consoles to have better reconstruction and thus better looking/running games.

Often these people who are against the "cheating" of reconstruction are also very keen on VRS, because that "cheating" is ok. For reasons.

Ultimately what we want are the best looking and best running games. That means reconstruction (and VRS, and dynamic res and every other tool in the box developers have to "cheat"). Unless you want worse looking and running games for some bizarre reason.
What boggles the mind is those that think half the detail with nasty artificial sharpening looks "better" than the real deal.

But in general I agree that on consoles where power is limited it makes sense to use reconstruction where necessary, and those who want native 4K can play on PC, or ultimately buy the "Pro" consoles should they be a thing.

But let's not pretend that reconstruction doesn't objectively look worse and only those who say it does are somehow lying because it's "cheating' or whatever. That's like those crazy fools who increase sharpness from 0 on their TV.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
what is certain is that the design philosophy of the XSX is the same of the 1X: maximize power. As stated by Spencer the same team that gave us the 1x is in charge of the xsx. I wouldn't take the OG xbox one as reference as the post I quoted implied

im not - and the most likely situation is a large chip around 54-56CU. I'm just trying to avoid applying absolutes to anything when even for Xbox we only have incredible ly slim evidence for anything on GPU side

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What boggles the mind is those that think half the detail with nasty artificial sharpening looks "better" than the real deal.

But in general I agree that on consoles where power is limited it makes sense to use reconstruction where necessary, and those who want native 4K can play on PC, or ultimately buy the "Pro" consoles should they be a thing.

But let's not pretend that reconstruction doesn't objectively look worse and only those who say it does are somehow lying because it's "cheating' or whatever. That's like those crazy fools who increase sharpness from 0 on their TV.
Um, no. DLSS adds details due to high resolution training feed.

Native resolution (1440p)

WP1NLDu.jpg

native resolution + max sharpening

CsKGYA0.jpg

DLSS quality, sharpening at default (like first pic)

w7zoaY6.jpg

For example, look at the third flag rope, in native resolution its barely visible, while in the DLSS image you can clearly see the thin line where the flags are attached. Why do you think this looks objectively worse? Maybe you should open your mind to new techniques.

Also, look at the huge performance boost. 105 FPS to 143 FPS!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.