When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2019
Keep in mind what Kaz said just before PS Meeting invites went out.

He implied they were waiting for Xbox to make their move, then BAM — See the future.

Dec 10, 2019
This.

GDC is like what first week of March. Shit is going to leak like crazy. So I expect some kind of wired article or maybe they due a pre-recorded event like Nintendo did. Then they have a tone of time after that to figure the price and all that shit.

Then in August/ September they show off the console/price/launch games. And there you go.
GDC is late March, but yes.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind what Kaz said just before PS Meeting invites went out.

He implied they were waiting for Xbox to make their move, then BAM — See the future.

You believe PS5 is being shown tomorrow, or that the invites for upcoming event are tomorrow? I just want to make sure I am on the right page.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
OgUgOMn.gif

LVxeoCZe0uypTvOgewjMG_3JK7Fqa-wd_YBpFVG-A5oOCF-cEbIFNOg9Pqx-QH74076OdzzSU2CYalFy1FXaLE_Q8e9sL3XvBdfQFjCL9Ybu6E3eC7nCdKm2llJFj8Eu3bzNriAH2GA

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would love so y to go for an industry shattering ps1 type megaton move. Announce PS5 at same price as lockheart. Now the more powerful Xbox is too expensive and lockheart is made irrelevant. MS couldn't drop price of more powerful version to match their weak one. PS5 being same price as lockheart and being way stronger. Boom

that's how you play the game

Get owned Microsoft!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Oh, and what makes you so sure of that? Got any Navi10Lite GPUs to show that it lacks RT?

I do not believe that the PS5 lacks RT. What I do believe is that it lacks DEDICATED RT hardware. It may have hardware that can accelerate RT, but said hardware is not purpose built for accelerating RT. This differs from the SeX which uses RDNA2/Big Navi and does have dedicated RT hardware

Your beliefs do not matter as it's clear what Cerny has said.

Kirby0Louise

Jan 28, 2020
Dreamland/Halkegenia
Why does the bolded always happen with Playstation? Also 2020 hits again! :). Déjà vu and all that jazz.

I'm only looking at the cold hard facts and data. Of course I cannot see the future.
  • Oberon is Navi10Lite
  • Navi10 (RDNA1) lacks dedicated RT hardware
  • Sony said PS5 has HW RT
  • Therefor it must have some degree of HW acceleration for RT, but not dedicated HW for RT
  • SeX has 56CU
  • "Little Navi" (Navi10) taps out at 40 CU
  • SeX must be "Big Navi" then
  • Lisa Su recently confirmed "Big Navi" uses next-gen RDNA (RDNA2) (https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-confirms-high-end-navi-gpu-2020-ray-tracing)
  • AMD's RT roadmap they revealed at E3 2019 says that next gen RDNA (RDNA2) will have dedicated RT hardware
    yaljls.jpg
  • Therefor SeX must be using RDNA2 and has dedicated RT HW
Make sense?
The Sex is not usong rdna2

Oh but it is. See above, as well as the confirmation of hardware VRS, which is currently not supported in RDNA1.
I am trying to get an idea as to how much more computationally capable they are compared to existing Jaguars in the enhanced consoles clocked at 2.13 and 2.3 GHz in Pro and X, respectively.

Insofar as cache size is concerned, iirc, there is speculation that it may get quartered from 32MB (desktop) to 8MB. So, when all is said and done, how much better is it compared to 8c/8t *Clarkson voice* Jaaaaaaag..?

Oh I see. Much, much more. Especially in the single threaded department. Zen2 has a higher IPC than Coffee Lake R. I think this should speak for itself:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
According to Gamestop, the xbox series x is using a custom new AMC Processor.
cqXm46l.png

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Would love so y to go for an industry shattering ps1 type megaton move. Announce PS5 at same price as lockheart. Now the more powerful Xbox is too expensive and lockheart is made irrelevant. MS couldn't drop price of more powerful version to match their weak one. PS5 being same price as lockheart and being way stronger. Boom

Wouldn't Sony lose a ridiculous amount of money doing that, and with no new sub to help the damage?

Nov 11, 2017

Why do you want the industry to be noncompetitive? I'm honestly confused by this line of thinking

Jan 20, 2019
I'm only looking at the cold hard facts and data. Of course I cannot see the future.
  • Oberon is Navi10Lite
  • Therefor it must have some degree of HW acceleration for RT, but not dedicated HW for RT
  • SeX has 56CU
  • Lisa Su recently confirmed "Big Navi" uses next-gen RDNA (RDNA2) (https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-confirms-high-end-navi-gpu-2020-ray-tracing)
  • AMD's RT roadmap they revealed at E3 2019 says that next gen RDNA (RDNA2) will have dedicated RT hardware
    yaljls.jpg
Make sense?

Oh but it is. See above, as well as the confirmation of hardware VRS, which is currently not supported in RDNA1.

Oh I see. Much, much more. Especially in the single threaded department. Zen2 has a higher IPC than Coffee Lake R. I think this should speak for itself:

No it is not, a microsoft insider already told us that.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
My beliefs agree with Cerny though? I've read the Wired interview multiple times due to my interest in PS5. He says that the PS5 has RT support! Just like what I think! He does NOT say that RT is done with dedicated hardware.

If you want to continue on this path, go for it, I'm not engaging any further.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Oberon is Navi10Lite
  • SeX has 56CU
    yaljls.jpg
Make sense?
Are you really? Lots of assumptions and twisting and turning to fit your own thought process.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Thx for sharing!

I think the speculation of bdsams is a little bit off. Could be a proprietary exNVMe card solution. Don't think the technology he mentions is not fast enough for the speed that is required with next gen consoles (but not checked yet entirely, just a quick thought). Still good to hear that this expansion slot/interface exists!

Edit:
Checked.
CFexpress could indeed the way to go but I did not find information about IOPS specifically and if the card somes with its own controller. Main differentiator if you could use standard crExpress cards or you have to opt for proprietary cards.

-----

i-Lo
You literally found the meme of my reaction on the news from the PlayStation web page. Add gloating though ;)

Meanwhile
www.xbox.com

Xbox Series X | Xbox

Discover the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever with the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

Kirby0Louise

Jan 28, 2020
Dreamland/Halkegenia
No it is not, a microsoft insider already told us that.

Who and where? And how do you explain the 56 CU and the hardware VRS support then? Right now I see overwhelming evidence in favor of SeX using RDNA2
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/ - Note the use of "next generation RDNA, the same language used by AMD to describe their upcoming GPUs with dedicated RT HW.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone still arguing about whether the PS5 have HW RT or not is a troll. Sony has been clear on this, and the only reason to be pedantic about it is to troll/do not-so-subtle console warring.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
  • Oberon is Navi10Lite
  • SeX has 56CU
Make sense?
No.

A. "Navi 10 Lite" obviously isn't Navi 10 so you can't say that it lacks anything since it's a different chip.
B. There is no "degree of h/w acceleration for RT". You either have RT h/w or not. Navi 10 doesn't and therefore it doesn't support RT - which can clearly be witnessed in PC space right now.
C. There are more Navi GPUs than "Little Navi" and "Big Navi". Also Navi 10 isn't "little" by any metric imaginable.
D. XSX won't be based on "Big Navi" and we don't know if it will use RDNA2 or not.

Jan 20, 2019
Who and where? And how do you explain the 56 CU and the hardware VRS support then? Right now I see overwhelming evidence in favor of SeX using RDNA2
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/ - Note the use of "next generation RDNA, the same language used by AMD to describe their upcoming GPUs with dedicated RT HW.

Hmgg, hope didnt got is name wrong

Kirby0Louise

Jan 28, 2020
Dreamland/Halkegenia
Are you really? Lots of assumptions and twisting and turning to fit your own thought process.

No.

A. "Navi 10 Lite" obviously isn't Navi 10 so you can't say that it lacks anything since it's a different chip.
B. There is no "degree of h/w acceleration for RT". You either have RT h/w or not. Navi 10 doesn't and therefore it doesn't support RT - which can clearly be witnessed in PC space right now.
C. There are more Navi GPUs than "Little Navi" and "Big Navi". Also Navi 10 isn't "little" by any metric imaginable.
D. XSX won't be based on "Big Navi" and we don't know if it will use RDNA2 or not.

Assumptions? Ok, let's walk through this one step at a time with sources:
Where are these "assumptions and twisting and turning"?

Status
Not open for further replies.