• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the best thing about week 10 in the NFL?

• The Pats losing

Votes: 96 51.3%
  • That the Pats lost

Votes: 79 42.2%
  • That the New England Patriots Lost

Votes: 97 51.9%
  • That the Cheaters lost

Votes: 138 73.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017

corgi-toss.gif

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Wentz

And then, a bit of a surprise. "We want to put the game on [Eagles quarterback Carson] Wentz," Payton said. Payton likes Wentz as a player, but his player-personnel analyst, Ryan Herman, gives him trends and numbers every week, and Payton tells the group two interesting ones about Wentz, from Herman: The Eagles are 1-11 when Wentz plays and they allow more than 26 points. And he's 0-9 when he passes for between 308 and 364 yards, the point being if he does that, the Eagles likely won't be running the ball well, and the Saints feel they can beat a one-dimensional offense.
Might beat the NFC Least teams but no one else that's decent in the conference. Watch them rebound this week.

The Giants pass defense was cheeks in the 2nd half. Landon Collins keeps giving up plays too, and I have a feeling DG pays him what he wants. Still concerned.

squicken

Oct 27, 2017
I am no Foles fan but he looked way better last year than Wentz has this year. Maybe because Wentz isn't running as much? Or running as well? Both he and Watson have regressed from last year. Lots of reasons for that but the reality is neither team is getting great QB play

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
His performance against the saints was so fucking pitiful. I really don't see how you can still be this enamored with him.

I don't think a single player played well. How is this being put on Wentz? Far be it for me to agree with Howie's boy Pep but Wentz is not the issue on this team. He was playing at an MVP level in year 2 last year and this year has been an up and down mess for the whole team and still, before the Saints game Wentz was playing very well. Pretty confident he will be a top 5 QB in this league if he remains healthy in the future. He already has shown it. The game against the Saints was the worse I have ever seen him play but was also very uncharacteristic.

I don't know about him being LeBron or whatever else comparison but not worried about him outside of his knee.

Speaking of Wentz

Might beat the NFC Least teams but no one else that's decent in the conference. Watch them rebound this week.

The Giants pass defense was cheeks in the 2nd half. Landon Collins keeps giving up plays too, and I have a feeling DG pays him what he wants. Still concerned.

This, to me, speaks more about Pederson and his playcalling especially this year. They have completely abandoned the run even more so than usual. Pederson has the excuse that Ajayi & Sproles are out and that you need a lead before you run the ball. Its all BS. In the losses to the Panthers and Titans they had 2+ score leads in the 4th and still refused to run the ball. They don't have a dynamic offense, the oline has regressed, and Pederson puts every game on Wentz.

When the Rams, Chiefs, and Saints go overboard with passing they still force the defense to honor the dangerous RBs who line up as WRs or do the window dressing with their jet sweep motions and pre-snap chaos. The Eagles don't have any back (or player really) who the defenses fear like that. Goff has Gurley, Mahomes has Hunt, and Brees has both Kamara and Ingram. They win the battle all defenses before the snap. Eagles try to do the motion stuff with Agholor but defenses don't honor that.

I do agree that Wentz is trying to do too much and he often holds on trying to make a big play rather than taking what the defense gives. Worked a lot last year when the OLINE as a group was playing lights out.

This team needs playmakers bad. They need a quality every-down back who defenses have to honor and Pederson actually has to use. None of this RB rotation with a stable of undrafted FAs who can barely make anything happen unless the line opens up a gigantic hole. And they need a WR opposite Alshon and Agholor who is a home run threat.

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I am no Foles fan but he looked way better last year than Wentz has this year. Maybe because Wentz isn't running as much? Or running as well? Both he and Watson have regressed from last year. Lots of reasons for that but the reality is neither team is getting great QB play

Which Foles game are you referring to? He struggled badly at the end of last year and the first playoff game against the Falcons was awful too. He had a great game against the Vikings and then an MVP performance in the SB. Then back to average to outright bad the first 2 games he started this season.

The Saints game was bad, but Wentz has played really well this season outside of it.

The offense, as a whole, isn't what it was last year but I put that on coaching. This team starts off extremely slow each week (be it Foles or Wentz) and their first 15 scripted plays seem to go nowhere. By the time the offense wakes up and puts points on the board, the defense is ready to collapse and let the opposition walk all over them.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression Wentz was playing well and that the Eagles got bigger problems than just QB play

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Go through Baldy's breakdown of the Eagles' game on twitter. They're just a little bit off on every play. To me, that means two things: Firstly, they're close. Second, it's a coaching issue. Players just aren't on their details. I'd guess that it's mostly due to losing Reich.

Speaking of Baldinger breaking things down:

Pepiope

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression Wentz was playing well and that the Eagles got bigger problems than just QB play
He is.

He wasn't that great against Dallas and against the Saints he started forcing things because the line wouldn't give him any time to throw and they were down by 107 points.

There is still no QB in the NFL who I'd trade Wentz for. This is all on coaching. Doug has been terrible this year and Groh is beginning to look incompetent as OC.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Go through Baldy's breakdown of the Eagles' game on twitter. They're just a little bit off on every play. To me, that means two things: Firstly, they're close. Second, it's a coaching issue. Players just aren't on their details. I'd guess that it's mostly due to losing Reich.

Agreed. Team just hasn't seemed ready since the start.

A major point I saw brought up on twitter. This past game against the Saints, they were down 17-0. They score a TD finally, force a 3 and out on the Saints, get the ball back and move into Saints territory. An FG or TD on drives bring the Eagles right back into the game down by 1 score, as little as 3 points.

They get to a 3rd and 3 on the Saints 46. Even if they don't complete, they can go for it on 4th or take a long FG. The worse thing they can do is take a sack or turn it over. First, before they can even get the play off, Doug calls a timeout. So now out of a timeout, its 3rd and 3 and you assume they have a great play called.

Saints bring a 8 man box with single safety man coverage. The Eagles call a play which calls for Carson to run a play action, drop back 10 yards, and then try to find one of only 2 WRs in on the play (Ertz and Alshon), both running deep 10 yard plus patterns. Why? WTF? Why is that the call for a 3rd and 3? Why aren't there more WRs in on this play? Why isn't something short called? Why are Tate and Agholor off the field? Why are you running a play action play when no one respects the RBs we have? See last year the Eagles would at times run the ball on 3rd and 5 or less knowing they would go for it on 4th down if they didn't pick up a 1st. They had Blount and Ajayi who would either pick up the first or make it a 4th and 1 or less. They don't have that now. So why the play action? Why the long drop and long time-consuming patterns?

Back to play - Ertz beats his one on one match up and is wide open in the middle of the field. If Wentz hits him it's a 15 yard gain. Problem is the line doesn't hold up, new center Wiz (in for injured Kelce) thinks the rusher who is his responsibility is to be passed off to the left guard Seumalo who doesn't pick up the rusher. Now the saints dt has a clear line rush on Wentz who is coming off a play action fake and has zero chance/time to make the throw to Ertz. The only other WR running a route is Alshon running a stop and go. None of this makes sense. The line is confused and not picking up free rushers. Pederson calls a terrible play for that down and situation. Wentz can't shake off the sack like at times we have seen in the past. Eagles get sacked, lose 10 yards, and punt it away.

Saints get the ball back and smack the living shit out of the Eagles the rest of the game.

This is coaching honestly. Everything Pederson did last year worked. Everything is off this year and its frustrating because its off by a little.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
He has been for awhile now.

Good Dog

Speaking of Baldinger breaking things down

Speaking of Baldinger laying down some fun facts:

Edit: I didn't tag the person who needed to see this the most, snesfreak. Won't happen again.

Also this time I actually watched Baldinger's breakdown for the Colts. I'm convinced that guy takes a sexual joy from offensive linemen pushing people over into the TRAAAASSSSHHHH.

Last edited:

squicken

Oct 27, 2017
Something that really stood out on the Baldy Breakown of the TEN/NE game is how quickly Brady is reacting to pressure. I think it was the 2nd play of the game where he went down with no defender close to hitting him. They just touched him down.

The Colts one is great. All these years and they finally got Luck some blocking. One thing Reich does is he commits to the run,even if it costs them in efficiency. Payton/Reid/McVay keep throwing and trying to score, but Reich seems to have no interest in in throwing 40 times a game

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I hate the GOAT talks (even as a Pats fan) but when I brought up Brees during the Brady vs Rodgers goat talk I was laughed at. The dude is a clearly one of the best players to play the position .
I think the problem with bringing Brees up against Brady/Rodgers has always been how inconsistent his teams have been, especially since winning that SB. They've had as many 7-9 seasons as they've had playoff seasons. Brady's only ever missed the playoffs once when healthy, and Rodgers hasn't missed the playoffs since his first year as a starter. Brady and Rodgers also have this weird tendency to lose to the team that eventually represents their conference in the super bowl, making their playoff losses a little more understandable. Brees lost to a team with a losing record one time.

Consistency means so much when you're getting compared to guys like Brady/Rodgers/Manning... assuming they win got about as automatic as assuming Brees goes for 5K yards, to the point where it isn't even that impressive when bringing it up on first glance.

But if Brees can win 2 rings and 2 MVPs I think that squarely at least puts him in the same tier as Brady/Rodgers/Montana. Right now I'd have him in with Manning/Favre/Marino/Unitas if his career ended today.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Well last year foles had the team at pretty much full strength minus Peters. This year Wentz is missing the top 2 RBs, 2 of their top 4 WRs who were the only fast WRs, Peters, plus Lane has been hurt and Kelce is now hurt. The eagles were the #4 rushing team in the league last year and had a speedy WR to stretch the field. Plus their OC and QB coach are basically new. They're still close, but everything is a little off. And even with all that, Wentz has still been great this year outside of the last two games, and he has the highest % of dropped passes on third down in the league. I'm not worried about the future, but the coaching staff probably needs a shakeup. The only other worry is that this is a very defensive heavy draft when the eagles need at least one playmaker at either RB or WR

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest issue for the Eagles offense that isn't RB related is the regression of Nelson Agholor. That dude was the perfect complement to Alshon and Ertz last year. This year he turned back into a bum and isn't getting open down the field like he was all of last year. Tre Burton was underutilized last year but he was also a big threat that opened up things for the RBs in the passing game and underneath routes for the WRs. I think Wentz is playing fine considering the circumstances.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest issue for the Eagles offense that isn't RB related is the regression of Nelson Agholor. That dude was the perfect complement to Alshon and Ertz last year. This year he turned back into a bum and isn't getting open down the field like he was all of last year. Tre Burton was underutilized last year but he was also a big threat that opened up things for the RBs in the passing game and underneath routes for the WRs. I think Wentz is playing fine considering the circumstances.

As a whole eagles Offense is lacking quality depth, they rely on Alshon who is a replacement level player that is easily hurt and Agholor whose niche is exploitable when you don't have threats on the outside. Ertz might be the best TE in the league but they need more pieces.

Oct 25, 2017
Good Dog

Speaking of Baldinger laying down some fun facts:

Edit: I didn't tag the person who needed to see this the most, snesfreak. Won't happen again.

Also this time I actually watched Baldinger's breakdown for the Colts. I'm convinced that guy takes a sexual joy from offensive linemen pushing people over into the TRAAAASSSSHHHH.

Fuck you both!
*gets his old man cane out*

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Well last year foles had the team at pretty much full strength minus Peters. This year Wentz is missing the top 2 RBs, 2 of their top 4 WRs who were the only fast WRs, Peters, plus Lane has been hurt and Kelce is now hurt. The eagles were the #4 rushing team in the league last year and had a speedy WR to stretch the field. Plus their OC and QB coach are basically new. They're still close, but everything is a little off. And even with all that, Wentz has still been great this year outside of the last two games, and he has the highest % of dropped passes on third down in the league. I'm not worried about the future, but the coaching staff probably needs a shakeup. The only other worry is that this is a very defensive heavy draft when the eagles need at least one playmaker at either RB or WR

The good thing about RBs is that even if it isn't a heavy RB draft, there are quality RBs each draft in the mid-rounds. The Eagles actually have to prioritize one and not wait till after the draft is over. Its nice to stockpile young CBs but with the way the league is going, you need a dynamic offense more than you need shut down corners. I don't even think you can have shut down corners anymore.

Take an RB in round 2, 3, or 4 whenever a good back is there and actually use him. That's the other thing. Is Pederson going to forget to use his RB again? Only to comment in the press conf how he has to find ways to get him more touches?

Foles targeted him a lot weeks 1 and 2. Then again Alshon was out. I just think Wentz is way too locked in on Ertz and then Alshon. Agholor is also asked to run jet motions on almost every play but it never goes to him. They just need to actually design some plays for him as I think its more about Carson being too locked in on his favorites in Ertz and Alshon.

As a whole eagles Offense is lacking quality depth, they rely on Alshon who is a replacement level player that is easily hurt and Agholor whose niche is exploitable when you don't have threats on the outside. Ertz might be the best TE in the league but they need more pieces.

Kind of hard at this point to even question the depth when you lose Ajayi and Sproles as your RBs and Wallace as your #2 WR who was brought in to stretch the field. They traded for Tate but he plays his best out of the slot where Agholor feasted last year.