• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
We got Cloud and Snake in Smash... we got Spidey in the MCU, I have hopes for Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. Free advertisement for a Banjo-Threei

But it's obvious that these things aren't in the same league, right? SquareEnix isn't making a competing console, nor was Konami. People might associate those characters with a console, but the rights aren't with the console holder.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Is Steve from Minecraft off the table for Smash or something? Banjo would be cool and all, but I think that having a Minecraft character in Smash would be preferable over Banjo.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Banjo being in Smash. Just not a big enough character. Few care. Master Chief would be better, but he's never been in a game on a Nintendo platform so that makes no sense either.

Banjo-Kazooie was the tenth best selling N64 game ever with over 3.5 million copies sold

definitely not big enough

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This. And for Smash Phil will only do it because it's free promotion in a huge game. People going wild assuming exclusive games going multiplatform because of this relationship that barely exist are in for a huge disappointment.

how people can say this when there was a Switch on the 2017 microsoft e3 presentation??

i obivoulsy dont think there would be shared exclusives, but come one, there is a relationship here

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I honestly don't see were the "love" is coming from.
Ubi and Nintendo? total lovebirds.
Capcom and Sony? totally.
Late 90s Square Enix and Sony? get a room.
But Nintendo and Microsoft? I mean, sure there are cross platform games but that's it haha.
It's more like the devs wanted crossplay and they allowed it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been there, probably due to MS and NoA buildings being right next to each other, and various current/former employees having worked at both.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a one way relationship.. MS providing online support and their games, I do not see in any way Nintendo releasing games on the Xbox platform but it would be awesome.

Little things like Banjo in Smash and hopefully.. Rare Replay on the switch would be a damn good first few steps. MS has said they are not worried about where you play their content.. so step it up Phil.. start with the Rare Replay.. easy to pull off. Do it will full achievements and support.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think it will go as far as maybe a Microsoft character appearing in Smash (If Nintendo even wants that) and maybe a few Rare games on the N64 Classic.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all of this cross-play between the two, I feel like a Killer Instinct Switch port would be possible. I would probably cry if Banjo actually got into Smash Bros.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would be a one way relationship.. MS providing online support and their games, I do not see in any way Nintendo releasing games on the Xbox platform but it would be awesome.

Little things like Banjo in Smash and hopefully.. Rare Replay on the switch would be a damn good first few steps. MS has said they are not worried about where you play their content.. so step it up Phil.. start with the Rare Replay.. easy to pull off. Do it will full achievements and support.

To be fair, I could see Microsoft only wanting to do that

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Banjo is in Smash and all those Rare games are coming to the N64 classic. Hold on to your butts everybody!!!!!!

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen I see Microsoft releasing exclusives on Switch 2 and Nextbox simultaneously and renaming "exclusives" to "Xbox originals" as well as bringing Game Pass over to the Switch via streaming.

Not now but next gen. I think Microsoft will still release a hardware box but that box will be more if you care about power, graphics and performance. And you can play what are now known as "exclusives" on Switch if you so choose to.
I'm doubtful of this. Though I suppose Microsoft can release games on Switch like any 3rd party publisher while Nintendo take their usual percentage (see Minecraft).

But Game Pass on Switch? Hundreds or games to play on Switch without having to buy any software. I don't see an incentive there for Nintendo unless they got a significant chunk of the subscription AND (more importantly) microtransaction revenue. And in that case I don't think it makes financial sense for Microsoft.

Frankie_baby

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
If MS has any sense they'll release the old rare games on the switch (either as rare replay or individually) rare cost them a hell of a lot of money that I'd be very surprised if they've come close to effectively paying off yet and those games are basically sitting doing nothing now and hardly add any value to the Xbox brand proposition but could make a tonne of money on switch

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm doubtful of this. Though I suppose Microsoft can release games on Switch like any 3rd party publisher while Nintendo take their usual percentage (see Minecraft).

But Game Pass on Switch? Hundreds or games to play on Switch without having to buy any software. I don't see an incentive there for Nintendo unless they got a significant chunk of the subscription AND (more importantly) microtransaction revenue. And in that case I don't think it makes financial sense for Microsoft.
Most of the games on Game Pass are not on Switch so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass streamed to Switch

PS5 born behind this window

rainydaysphotographyrainwindowbrownglass-5d14f2cd9e5731851de60708810617e4_h_large.jpg

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't do more than crossplay. No reason for these companies to give their exclusives to their competitors.

Minecraft is a completely separate thing, it's as "Xbox" as the Sony Unties games published on Switch are Playstation games. No one says Nintendo will get The Last of Us because Sony Music published Tiny Wars for Switch.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The next step will be Microsoft announcing their purchase of the Kirby IP at E3. This is something Microsoft has been planning for ages. This is also why some may believe Kirby Star Allies felt rushed. Nintendo had to get it out before ownership of the IP turned. HAL and Sakurai are rumored to have been a part of the deal too, which is why we haven't heard much about who's making Smash.