• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Shut up, Arlo.

I'd secretly love for Nintendo to host just one Direct in 2020 and have it be at E3.

If we're still getting games, why not. May, June and July literally have zero games dated for them and it's annoying that Nintendo keeps all announcements for the Direct. It's better without directs.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Not meant to be a diss towards Zippo but does he have any confirmed rumor so far?
Didn't really had the chance so far since his main rumor has been Paper Mario.
He told us about fighter pass character #5 being more or less tied to Nintendo before Byleth reveal tho, but his source told him it was a kind of Bayonetta deal, not totally a first party character. But Byleth is first party.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
None.

And actually a miss with the Smash hints that were in the wrong.
giphy.webp

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Zippo was thinking of someone other than Byleth with his FP5 hints. There would be no ambiguity about Nintendo owning Byleth fully. He didn't seem sure, though, so I don't hold that as a knock against his record.
Didn't he say it was complicated, and technically not really nintendo but sort of related?
Yep.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of Zippo's credibility though, a Paper Mario this year is a very safe bet. There's an average of four years between each entries, it's been four years since Color Splash and IS had very few people working on FE3H. I'd be shocked to not see one announced and released this year.

A new 2D Metroid is more debatable but considering MercurySteam has been silent since Samus Returns (apart from keeping alive their free-2-play game, but I don't think it's a very successful one) and Sakamoto expressed a desire to make a new game next, it wouldn't be a surprise either.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if you're serious or not with that :p but I have thoughts, and I'll use your message as a reason to type them. Thank you. :)

Which one should they? Genealogy of the Holy War (I'll just call it FE4). Which one will they? The Binding Blade (I'll just call it FE6). I'm going to be making a lot of assumptions here, and I have nothing to back it up, but none of this really matters anyway, it's just fun to speculate.

Why should they remake FE4:

1. It's the hot thing right now. FE4 has always been this special game in the Fire Emblem community. This Japanese only game that plays so differently than the rest but many people that have played it claim it's the best in the series. However, now even more casual fans are being made aware of it because people saying, "Hey, this thing in Three Houses is kind of like this other thing in FE4. Remake confirmed??????" So FE4 is on people's minds and they're ready for a remake.

2. FE4 is a scary game for some people to get into. First off, there's the fact that most people would have to emulate the game and find a translation, and it wasn't until kind of recently that a fully translated version that didn't crash at the ending was available. However, beyond that, there are a lot of mechanics that sound scary and overwhelming when you just read a list of them. However, when you play, and everything gets introduced one at a time, it's not overwhelming at all. Also, the mechanics that make people nervous are actually a lot of fun. For example, each unit having their own gold and not being able to freely trade items is baked into the game so well and it's better because of it.

3. Related to the second point, a lot of people have already played FE6 by this point. FE6 has had a full translation available for longer than FE4, and FE6 is a lot easier for people to get into. Many Fire Emblem fans in the west started with FE7, so any of the GBA games, like FE6, are very comfortable to them. They're not scared off by any of the mechanics and can hop right in and know what they're doing. Yes, anyone that likes Fire Emblem enough to have played the old games is probably going to buy any remake anyway, but there will be less talk about an FE6 remake because it won't be as special to people. The hardcore fans are the ones that need to hype up remakes and let the more casual fans know how excited they should be to finally play a game, and I think that hype won't be there as much for FE6 as opposed to FE4. There still will be hype, just not as much.

Why I think they'll remake FE6 instead:

1. Remaking FE4 kind of sort of obligates them to remake FE5 as well. They don't have to remake FE5, as FE4's story stands on its own perfectly fine, but if they remake FE4 people will keep asking for the FE5 remake. Yes, with FE6 people may ask for FE7 to be remade as well because it's a prequel, but FE7 already has an English release, and while it's a prequel it's also kind of its own game. FE7 was obviously made just so they could reuse the world and some characters, and linking it to FE6 was secondary to telling its own story.

2. Roy in Smash. Roy's inclusion in Smash isn't nearly as exciting to people as it was back in Melee. However, I believe that Intelligent Systems would still feel more confident in remaking FE6 first, partly because even the most casual of fans already know about Roy. So Intelligent Systems would assume that there's more interest in FE6 than FE4.

3. Work on the remake probably started before Three Houses came out. I'm assuming that there's going to be a remake released this year, and if that's the case then development started a while back. Yes, people were making comparisons between Three Houses and FE4 before Three Houses came out, but talk really picked up afterwards. So if Intelligent Systems is even aware of this budding desire for an FE4 remake, they wouldn't have been aware until they had already started on FE6.

I have a lot of other smaller reasons for thinking these things, and I didn't address why I don't think they would remake FE9 and FE10 just yet, but this message is long enough as it is.

Interesting!

And I was curious by asking that because I'm kinda new to the Fire Emblem franchise (started with Awakening, played Fates/SoV/Heroes/Warriors/Three Houses only), was curious to see what people would like to see as a remake since I would love to discover older games of the series.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I want another DK game. My only DK game is Tropical Freeze, at the very least i'd like the others to be ported.

Adam_kun

Jan 23, 2020
Regardless of Zippo's credibility though, a Paper Mario this year is a very safe bet. There's an average of four years between each entries, it's been four years since Color Splash and IS had very few people working on FE3H. I'd be shocked to not see one announced and released this year.

A new 2D Metroid is more debatable but considering MercurySteam has been silent since Samus Returns (apart from keeping alive their free-2-play game, but I don't think it's a very successful one) and Sakamoto expressed a desire to make a new game next, it wouldn't be a surprise either.

Yes I 100 percent agree. I actually see Nintendo opening and ending the next direct with those two titles. Some people expecting BOTW2 at the next direct will be dissapointed, that will be for E3.
Will they also have 3d world and pikmin 3 ports at the direct? I think so.
If they dont show a new 2D metroid then thats where Metroid prime trilogy comes in.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I 100 percent agree. I actually see Nintendo opening and ending the next direct with those two titles. Some people expecting BOTW2 at the next direct will be dissapointed, that will be for E3.
Will they also have 3d world and pikmin 3 ports at the direct? I think so.
If they dont show a new 2D metroid then thats where Metroid prime trilogy comes in.
If they open and close the direct with a traditional paper mario and metroid 5 or prime trilogy, sorry to tell you that it's fake, because you are all just in my dream.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing is a special franchise. Big Leaf was the best selling 3DS game in Japan and even if there might be some overlap with Pokemon, it opens up the Switch to a new audience. It will sell a ton of console like no other can at this point in the Switch lifecycle.

Now the objective scale would be to look at two metrics : sales potential and critical acclaim. In my scenario, we would get 2-3 games that could combine critical acclaim and big sales. Switch had two in Mar-Jun 2017 (with one being a port), 0-1 in 2018 and 1 in 2019. A clear step up imo.

Finally, I'll just say that Nintendo will always favor other quarters over Q1. Their sales are heavily biased toward Q4 and they prefer to let their Holiday titles some room to breath.

Definately a new audience coming in. There's gonna be a pretty considerable amount of gamers buying a Switch and Animal Crossing and nothing more :P Animal Crossing is big, no objections. It's not AC I have a beef with. It's the pacing of releases and lack of new games I cant get in line with.

Yes Q4 is close to 50% of yearly Nintendo sales and I buy what you are saying to leave the holiday titles some breathing room. But with no December game in 2019, this is making January and February this year seem even more dire.

As for the objective scale..

There's big sales and there's big sales. There's critically acclaimed and there's critically acclaimed.

Zelda BotW is the highest rated game of the decade and best selling Zelda game of all time and MK8DX is the highest rated Mario Kart game ever while pacing to hit MK wii typ numbers. This is a tall task for AC and Paper Mario to reach.. and I dont think it's fair to call that the same level of games. And this is no slight to them, it's just a steep competition. Especially since Paper Mario is such a wild card these day, what do we even get? :P

Clearly H1 this year would beat out 2018 and 2019 but not sure if that's an achievement as they've been poor. But as I said earlier, if there's another new game that's not a port or AC+PM.. I would re evaluate. Pacing is still poor as heck though.

But we wouldn't, because while that's 6 months, it's not H1.

If we counted 2017 H1 as the first 6 months after the Switch's release on March 3, 2017 H2 would be.... 3 months.

2017 H1 had BotW, Arms, and 1-2 Switch. It was solid, but if the rumors for 2020 H1 come true (and that's a HUGE if), it would eke out 2017 for sure. Yes, that's despite 2017 H1 including one of the best games of all time.

I was just being silly, almost as silly as the release schedule the first 6 months of this year heeeeeeyoooo. hue hue

Not but seriously, rumored lineup for h1 2020 is not better than h1 2017. But who knows, rumors might not be true or H2 might be awesome! We'll see.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these leaks related?

The only game whats not mention in the list is 3dworld? Strange...

dkcfan

Banned
Jan 21, 2020
I think one big opening game. Than in the first headlines an re reveal from Bayonetta 3. And an Wii u port 1 Than when there is no animal crossing direct an 5 minutes part between the Switch headlines parts. In the second one wii u port 2 and maybe dlc character 6 And than 2 big games at the end at the direct.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
None.

And actually a miss with the Smash hints that were in the wrong.

Yep. We're just going to have to wait and see how real these "traditional Paper Mario" and "Metroid V" are at the next Direct.

Intelligent systems isn't owned by Nintendo actually.

Neither is HAL, and yet Kirby is a first party franchise. I personally don't understand how anyone could have confused FE for a third party franchise.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Are these leaks related?

The only game whats not mention in the list is 3dworld? Strange...

They took publicly known rumors and speculation and made tweets about them. Because no one checked for a source or origin, the tweets gained traction and people began to give them attention. The user knows nothing.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I think one big opening game. Than in the first headlines an re reveal from Bayonetta 3. And an Wii u port 1 Than when there is no animal crossing direct an 5 minutes part between the Switch headlines parts. In the second one wii u port 2 and maybe dlc character 6 And than 2 big games at the end at the direct.

Pretty much, minus Fighter 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.