• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Alright.

Discussion.

What would be the worst thing in your mind that could happen (apart from cancellation) for these IP's that we all are pretty sure are coming to Switch at some point?

Pikmin

Mario Maker

2D Zelda

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Alright.

Discussion.

What would be the worst thing in your mind that could happen (apart from cancellation) for these IP's that we all are pretty sure are coming to Switch at some point?

Pikmin

Mario Maker

2D Zelda

They are the worst choices? Dang i would kill for a new 2d Zelda.

Mine:

1) Wave Race (or any type of racing/sports game)

2) Non-game (ie. Tomodachi Life, Nintendogs, Brain training etc)

3) Paper Mario in the current style

Nov 3, 2017
Alright.

Discussion.

Pikmin

Mario Maker

2D Zelda

In the case of Mario Maker, a straight port would be the worst. The game has such potential but most importantly they need to nail the course discovery aspect of the game. Push good quality levels to people rather than tired auto-play/music courses or overtly hard courses.

I don't think they can go wrong with 2D Zelda. Make sure it's open world but with conventional dungeons and I will be happy. I *really* want a continuation of the PH/ST saga because Phantom Hourglass was my first ever Zelda game.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They are the worst choices? Dang i would kill for a new 2d Zelda.

Sorry I didn't mean that these were bad choices. I meant what in your opinion would be the worst thing that Nintendo could do to these particular games when they do come for Switch. Like if Pikmin was made into turn based animu.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Alright.

Discussion.

Pikmin

Mario Maker

2D Zelda

Pikmin: "Hey! Pikmin 2"

Mario Maker: Only NSMB style available, no bonus costumes

2D Zelda: "Hey! Zelda", a sidescrolling sequel to Zelda 2, developed by Arzest.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Sorry I didn't mean that these were bad choices. I meant what in your opinion would be the worst thing that Nintendo could do to these particular games when they do come for Switch. Like if Pikmin was made into turn based animu.

Oh hah, sorry - must be too late for me.

Well Paper Mario in the current style would suck.

Pikmin - hey Pikmin style would suck

Not so sure about Zelda.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright.

Discussion.

Pikmin

Mario Maker

2D Zelda

No more negativity this year. Best things that could happen to these games:

Pikmin - A proper Pikmin 4 that embraces a more open and interactive world and expands on the battle mode
Mario Maker - Mario Maker 2 that introduces elements that were missing from the first one like slopes and an overworld creator as well as online co-op.
2D Zelda - A 2D Zelda in a unique artstyle that combines the best ideas from ALBW and Triforce Heroes and turns them into a game that satisfies people as both a singleplayer and multiplayer game

#Positivity2019

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018

Pikmin - A proper Pikmin 4 that embraces a more open and interactive world and expands on the battle mode
Mario Maker - Mario Maker 2 that introduces elements that were missing from the first one like slopes and an overworld creator as well as online co-op.
2D Zelda - A 2D Zelda in a unique artstyle that combines the best ideas from ALBW and Triforce Heroes and turns them into a game that satisfies people as both a singleplayer and multiplayer game

#Positivity2019
I would hate this 2D Zelda!
No multiplayer. I want a pure single player experience.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wished Camelot was bigger. 40 something is nothing. I want 100+ people there. They make Mario sports games and I'd like to see them more often. Most likely we won't get one this year. We got Aces last year. Plus I want Golden Sun again. Nintendo should help grow them and let them make a Golden Sun with Xenoblade money.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wished Camelot was bigger. 40 something is nothing. I want 100+ people there. They make Mario sports games and I'd like to see them more often. Most likely we won't get one this year. We got Aces last year. Plus I want Golden Sun again. Nintendo should help grow them and let them make a Golden Sun with Xenoblade money.

I wish. At this point I'd take a game with I am Setsuna/Lost Sphear-level production values.

NST has 30-40 people. Over 30 alone were involved in the EPD/NST Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker collaboration for 3DS.

I wonder if NST has the means to headline their own mid-sized project. Something like Mario Tennis Aces for example.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Pikmin: Hey! Pikmin 2.

Mario Maker: A port

of the 3DS version. So no online level sharing.

2D Zelda: Remake of the Zelda CD-i duology + Zelda's Adventure as a preorder bonus.

2) Non-game (ie. Tomodachi Life, Nintendogs, Brain training etc)
Incorrect opinion alert. I don't really care about the other two, but I am dying for a Tomodachi successor on the Switch. It isn't a "game" in the definition i'm guessing you are using here, but it has a special value and charm that is unique to it (and Miitomo failed at recreating that, if that game ends up being brought up).

Last edited:

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

#Positivity2019
Positivity?! In a Nintendo thread! What is this, opposite day?

Seriously though, you've got the right idea.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if NST has the means to headline their own mid-sized project. Something like Mario Tennis Aces for example.

Ideally if Nintendo wants to play it safe and keep them below 50, they should be a remaster team or handle a safe lower resource franchise like a Mii/Mario multiplayer franchise. Right now it seems they have been working as an extension developer to the EPD Mario team rather than even a standalone port team.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
For a 2D Zelda, I would be interested if Nintendo embraced a really painterly art style.
I feel stuff like ALBW and NSMBUDX aren't as ambitious as they could be graphically. I'd like to see the next 2D entries in the respective franchise really try and look georgeous. We have the technology to make some amazing 2D games. Cuphead looks INCREDIBLE. I hope people at Nintendo saw that game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but I sort of doubt that Mercury Steam would be trusted with a fully new "Metroid 5" that moves the canon narrative forward. If they do make a new 2D game I could see it being a subtitled side story of some kind.
Why wouldn't they be trusted? For one, they are the only reason samus returns happened at all, and it was a critical hit, and sold decently to nintendo. Who else would make it? Like, epd isn't going to make it, will they?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Pikmin

Mario Maker

2D Zelda
Pikmin : that Pikmin 4 isn't releasing this year. I want this game asap because I know it's going to be awesome.

Mario Maker : that you can't let messages on levels of other people, miiverse style. I don't have high desires for this game. It could just be a port of the Wii U version I would be happy, I just want this game on Switch. So if we can't let messages on the levels it would be my only disappointment. Thanks to this features, you felt like you were apart of a community, the whole game felt alive, you felt that other people actually played those dumb and shitty levels you made. I loved to draw my face after completing a good level, like "this is me ! I love your level !"

2D Zelda : i dunno... That it's too much 4 sword/triforce heroes style ? Just a bunch of levels, etc. I'm all in for a coop game, I just hope it has a traditional Zelda world design, a la A Link Between Worlds. (Or even bigger if they want to take inspiration from BOTW, I just want a real world to explore, not a bunch of levels)
But I trust EPD. I already know that this game is going to be one of my GOTY.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say Star Fox GP is real, do you think we'll have a big hub mode that you fly around and walk around like Diddy Kong Racing had? I know one of the rumors said it may have a hub world. I'm just imagining this on a grander scale.

dkr-hub-world.jpg

I think how Retro is used to connected worlds with the Metroid Prime games. Then in DKCTF how they connected the levels as you went through it. From level 1 you do things and then to the last level you see the effects of things done previously. Retro is really good at it. Even the races in general with how they may connect from one race and you see how they progress to the final race.

latest

I wonder if they'll have a map like this as you go through courses.

star-fox-zero-all-levels-header-d4155.jpg

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's sad though. I really wished Golden Sun would've evolved to near the level of Dragon Quest is today. It's pretty similar in map layout.

Golden Sun is more 2D Final Fantasy in map layout. DQ from 9 and onwards is more Chrono Trigger and a the Tales series with the bigger maps so you can see enemies on screen without it getting crowded. So there isn't many narrow areas.

A more natural evolution would be closer to Octopath Travelers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That 3D Mario topic is fun. We've discussed how Nintendo is so varied with genres from sims like Animal Crossing to platformers like Mario or SRPG like Fire Emblem. So Nintendo fans cry a lot when Nintendo doesn't take care of them because they only like a handful of series.

The some series like 3D Mario has variety in it with open sandbox or a more linear style. It's even worse because someone may not get the style of 3D Mario they like lol.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ideally if Nintendo wants to play it safe and keep them below 50, they should be a remaster team or handle a safe lower resource franchise like a Mii/Mario multiplayer franchise. Right now it seems they have been working as an extension developer to the EPD Mario team rather than even a standalone port team.

Yeah, I thought they'd handle something smaller like Captain Toad. I don't really need to play another Mario vs Donkey Kong by them...

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but now that we know of Retros involvement in the reboot of MP4, what are the chances that this rumored Retro Studios game is finished and is just being held onto by Nintendo - much like Yoshi's Crafted World presumably is.

Do they have the resources to juggle two projects at once?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but now that we know of Retros involvement in the reboot of MP4, what are the chances that this rumored Retro Studios game is finished and is just being held onto by Nintendo - much like Yoshi's Crafted World presumably is.

It's been discussed a lot and yeah that is the current theory. We're expecting their Star Fox game to release this year.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Let's say Star Fox GP is real, do you think we'll have a big hub mode that you fly around and walk around like Diddy Kong Racing had? I know one of the rumors said it may have a hub world. I'm just imagining this on a grander scale.

dkr-hub-world.jpg

I think how Retro is used to connected worlds with the Metroid Prime games. Then in DKCTF how they connected the levels as you went through it. From level 1 you do things and then to the last level you see the effects of things done previously. Retro is really good at it. Even the races in general with how they may connect from one race and you see how they progress to the final race.

latest

I wonder if they'll have a map like this as you go through courses.

star-fox-zero-all-levels-header-d4155.jpg
I could see the Great Fox being the main hub with there being a late game Rogue starbase(like the one in assault) that allows you to play as enemy and non Star Fox ally characters

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, we've discussed this. I'm 100% they finished Star Fox GP (or very near done) and waiting for Nintendo to announce and release it for this year.

Retro has around 130 people. They might be able to handle two games. Atleast we know they can make a game while helping others

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yes, we've discussed this. I'm 100% they finished Star Fox GP (or very near done) and waiting for Nintendo to announce and release it for this year.
Yep.
Metroid Prime 4 is the proof of it. Retro Studios back in 2017 could't work on Metroid Prime 4, once MP4 was revealed to be rebooted by them, my first reaction was "Star Fox GP is coming this year then" lol

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's been discussed a lot and yeah that is the current theory. We're expecting their Star Fox game to release this year.

Ah, of course. I have not been lurking in the shadows of this thread too much since the announcement. But it is nice to know that my thoughts weren't too far fetched!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.
Metroid Prime 4 is the proof of it. Retro Studios back in 2017 could't work on Metroid Prime 4, once MP4 was revealed to be rebooted by them, my first reaction was "Star Fox GP is coming this year then" lol
I had the same reaction. Some other reactions like "Retro hasn't done anything in all these years and just chilling or all their games have been cancelled" were funny.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

The Retro situation is hard to gauge because we've never had a real solid hard leak on their situation. But, based on what we do know;

1. Star Fox Grand Prix was cited by a handful of people, including frequently reliable sources at Eurogamer. By all accounts in the rumour world worth betting on without visual evidence for ourselves, it probably exists. We've no indication of how far into development it was, but I think we can comfortably say that unless shit was seriously bad at Retro it should be in late development.

2. There were secondary rumours that a smaller second team at Retro was prototyping another game, possibly an original IP, that they were struggling to get off the ground.

3. Nintendo shifts Metroid Prime 4 to Retro, apparently based on a tech demo they cooked up that impressed the producers, encouraging them to shift development from the multi-studio approach at Bandai Namco (like how Smash was made) to a largely in-house approach at Retro.

Here's my reasoning of the situation and applied logic; I fail to see how Nintendo would be so disappointed with production and development quality at Bandai Namco that they'd be willing to pull the entire project out from them and restart from scratch, burning significant time, resources, and money, only to put it into the hands of an internal studio that hasn't put out a game in nearly five full years, if that studio was also failing at seeing through production of their own titles in that period.

That's just a big red flag to me. If Retro were floundering for five years on failed project that speaks volumes of how much of a goddamn mess it must be there. Couple of years? I can pay that. But five years? A vast majority of AAA productions take that long at worst, usually married with shorter production times. The notion of Retro pissing away development resources, time, money, and absolutely proving they're no longer able to see through standard software production cycles over an entire five years and yet are still trustworthy with leading a project that has already cost Nintendo money at another studio is just illogical to me.

The only reasonable chain of events I can see here is that Retro was chosen as a confident, safe investment for restarting Metroid Prime 4. Something accomplished via the apparently impressive demo they cooked up, and I'm sure equal confidence in the quality and production pipeline of whatever else they've been working on.

Which, to me, is going to be Star Fox Grand Prix, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch this year.

Oct 26, 2017
Retro's top two people at the studio left for jobs at small studios so I assume that their game after Tropical Freeze went real bad.

Hopefully they release a game this year and it's good.

Maybe they manage to save the first game or just release something from the first game like how Labo Robot was some half-baked saving of Project Giant Robot.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The Retro situation is hard to gauge because we've never had a real solid hard leak on their situation. But, based on what we do know;

1. Star Fox Grand Prix was cited by a handful of people, including frequently reliable sources at Eurogamer. By all accounts in the rumour world worth betting on without visual evidence for ourselves, it probably exists. We've no indication of how far into development it was, but I think we can comfortably say that unless shit was seriously bad at Retro it should be in late development.

2. There were secondary rumours that a smaller second team at Retro was prototyping another game, possibly an original IP, that they were struggling to get off the ground.

3. Nintendo shifts Metroid Prime 4 to Retro, apparently based on a tech demo they cooked up that impressed the producers, encouraging them to shift development from the multi-studio approach at Bandai Namco (like how Smash was made) to a largely in-house approach at Retro.

Here's my reasoning of the situation and applied logic; I fail to see how Nintendo would be so disappointed with production and development quality at Bandai Namco that they'd be willing to pull the entire project out from them and restart from scratch, burning significant time, resources, and money, only to put it into the hands of an internal studio that hasn't put out a game in nearly five full years, if that studio was also failing at seeing through production of their own titles in that period.

That's just a big red flag to me. If Retro were floundering for five years on failed project that speaks volumes of how much of a goddamn mess it must be there. Couple of years? I can pay that. But five years? A vast majority of AAA productions take that long at worst, usually married with shorter production times. The notion of Retro pissing away development resources, time, money, and absolutely proving they're no longer able to see through standard software production cycles over an entire five years and yet are still trustworthy with leading a project that has already cost Nintendo money at another studio is just illogical to me.

The only reasonable chain of events I can see here is that Retro was chosen as a confident, safe investment for restarting Metroid Prime 4. Something accomplished via the apparently impressive demo they cooked up, and I'm sure equal confidence in the quality and production pipeline of whatever else they've been working on.

Which, to me, is going to be Star Fox Grand Prix, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch this year.
Exactly my point of view.
We can't say for sure that Star Fox GP is real (I believe it tho), but Nintendo trust Retro Studios. They post a video saying how MP4 failed to be an awesome game such as the trilogy used to be, but that Retro Studios will succeed to do it. They wouldn't trust them that much only thanks to a demo : Retro Studios has a wonderful game coming soon. And I also think it's Star Fox GP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see the Great Fox being the main hub with there being a late game Rogue starbase(like the one in assault) that allows you to play as enemy and non Star Fox ally characters
I was wondering what options we would have for a main hub because I don't know if Retro would make something completely brand new or use a space ship already in the Star Fox universe and expand on it to use it as a hub.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This makes complete sense to me. And I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Retro's top two people at the studio left for jobs at small studios so I assume that their game after Tropical Freeze went real bad.

Hopefully they release a game this year and it's good.

Maybe they manage to save the first game or just release something from the first game like how Labo Robot was some half-baked saving of Project Giant Robot.
This is such an incredibly poor take when we've seen this happen so many times across the industry. Sometimes people want to move on, and it's typically people at the top who have the opportunity to move where they want and do what they want. And not even just in games, but in a ton of other industries. It's such a ridiculous assumption to make.

Also, anyone assuming Retro shit the bed for half a decade after making Tropical Freeze, then got handed a highly visible project like Prime 4, that will be under even MORE scrutiny following it's super public delay, is on some shit.

"You threw money down the drain on floundering projects for 5 years? Sure, you can take on the task of building this game that's in development trouble and we'll even publicly announce it for good measure!"

Come on.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I was wondering what options we would have for a main hub because I don't know if Retro would make something completely brand new or use a space ship already in the Star Fox universe and expand on it to use it as a hub.
Some sort of large ship or space station would be grate as a hub. All the racing ships could dock there and the interior could be explorable on foot by the racers with shops and npcs etc. Yes I realize this may be unlikely lol.

Oct 26, 2017
This is such an incredibly poor take when we've seen this happen so many times across the industry. Sometimes people want to move on, and it's typically people at the top who have the opportunity to move where they want and do what they want. And not even just in games, but in a ton of other industries. It's such a ridiculous assumption to make.

I'm pretty sure the lead game designer of Retro didn't want to leave randomly in the middle of developing his game (taking the lead story person with him) and then decided he would make tiny PS VR games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the lead game designer of Retro didn't want to leave randomly in the middle of developing his game (taking the lead story person with him) and then decided he would make tiny PS VR games.
it is a thing that happens. hell, if they were working on an original ip that didn't work out, that's also possible.

seriously, people move about in the western market A LOT. Nintendo being a japanese company paints people's perception a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.