The sequel to Breath of the Wild will come out in...

• 2021: July, August, or September

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • 2021: October, November, or December

Votes: 344 29.2%
  • 2022: January, February, or March

Votes: 386 32.8%
  • 2022: April, May, or June

Votes: 164 13.9%
  • 2022: July, August, or September

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • 2022: October, November, or December

Votes: 153 13.0%
  • Cancelled and rebooted at Retro Studios

Votes: 91 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
3zyZPWo.jpg

Everyone, it's finally time.

After almost a year and a half since the last Nintendo Direct, they have finally returned in full force. 50 minutes of content straight from Nintendo, presented via a livestream at 5 pm ET / 10 pm GMT. It's beautiful.

This is my third time serving as OP of this thread, and my first under its staff-directed pivot away from Nintendo Direct speculation. When I first slipped into the role in autumn of 2019, and subsequently into the community here, it seemed like an exciting general Direct was right around the corner. Unfortunately, it never came. Now it finally has and I am honored to return for its arrival; this is something of an emotional moment for me.

As is my recent philosophy, I'll try to prioritize brevity in this first post, mostly providing links and participation guidelines. But first, I'd like to briefly touch on the importance of transgender rights to this thread.

First included as the subtitle of OT17, the assertion that "trans rights are human rights" is not a shallow attempt at moral posturing. Instead, this represents an issue that is of genuine importance to this community and ResetEra in general. Many of this site and thread's best and brightest are transgender, and offering respect and human decency to them is important to us. While I sometimes try to combat the thread's dogmas and tendency towards being a so-called "echo chamber," this point and these members are too important for any tolerance of divergent opinions on the matter: transgender people are valid and deserving of respect. You are not welcome here if you do not agree, not out of a sense of moral righteousness or political persecution, but because these people and the challenges they face matter to us.

With that important message out of the way, we can proceed with the thread as normal.

While I value the tradition and history of the thread's origins, many staple texts hold no place under this new paradigm. Nibel's charter is outdated, as is the original statement of intent from OG Direct OP Kevin360. Fortunately, in their place is a simple new purpose: a place for all speculation on upcoming Nintendo products and discussion of existing ones, parallel to the comparable threads for Sony and Microsoft. Scrawnton came up with this thread's subtitle, and accordingly is eligible for kudos.

I'd like to touch on the culture of these threads, with the intent to encourage certain behaviors while discouraging others. These are not intended to serve as moderation, but instead represent my advice for improving the state of the threads.

Behaviors, thought patterns, and thread culture that I think make the threads worse:
  • Rejection of any diversion from the accepted zeitgeist of the thread: let's face it folks, we've been wrong too many times to hold a superiority complex. If someone feels differently than you, be accepting of their perspective, even if it's less informed.
  • Hostility and harassment towards fellow members: while a violation of site rules in its worst forms, I feel that we ought to aim above the bare minimum of conduct to foster a better and friendlier community.
  • Subposting: posting about someone without quoting or otherwise notifying them is low, and worse when they are unnamed. I advise that members simply block other participants who they cannot stand to engage with.
  • Arrogance: the combination of being consistently wrong and dismissive of others is, frankly, an embarrassing look. Let's all avoid dismissive or condescending posts and instead be respectful whenever we engage with fellow members.
  • Harassment of insiders: I'll admit that I have not been entirely receptive to the culture of insider information as of late; under this new paradigm that should be okay. However, even if someone's conduct as a "leaker" upsets or aggravates, insults and rudeness should not occur. Anyone who posts here is a member and participant and should be treated as such.
  • Obsession with info: on the flip side, I think constant solicitation of hints and teases is boring and clogs up the thread, though I recognize this comes down to personal preference. In general, if someone has something they want to share, they will do so subtly and without provocation; acceptance of this is elemental to the preservation of what is left of the insider hint culture.
Thread culture that I think would make the thread better:
  • Longer posts: longer and more thoughtful posts give the thread more substance and in my opinion make it more interesting and fun to engage with fellow members. I understand that not everyone enjoys writing miniature essays for little reward, but I encourage effort in posting if one is able.
  • Actual general discussion: while this thread has its roots in speculation, recall that in what many consider its golden age it was constantly off-topic. Now that the thread is explicitly not a speculation thread, it gives this community the opportunity to discuss existing Nintendo games and systems.
  • Better memes: guys, I'm sorry to say it, but our memes are fucking atrocious. I love you Derachi but Dill Spowser is barely funny anymore. And while I appreciate the effort VorpalNonsense puts into the sacrifice meme, I find that it comes off as mean spirited. Note the category this point is in: I don't think our terrible memes necessarily make the thread worse, but actually funny ones would make it so much better. Go to improv classes if you can, gang.
Beyond those recommendations, I absolutely implore everyone not to publicize any hints made in this thread. In summary, if the people providing these hints trusted them enough to share them as a real scoop, they would do so and reap the benefits. Teases here are intentionally of a less scrupulous standard and provided by insiders strictly for fun. Don't try to exploit this thread to gain Twitter followers or Reddit karma, for example. Of course, ResetEra is a public forum, so none of this is strictly against the rules. It is instead deeply frowned upon by the community.

Here, for everyone's amusement and interest, is a table made by Plum showing the time between various presentations during the lifetime of the Nintendo Switch to date. Note how long it's been since the last Nintendo Direct!

JHxRKew.png

For this thread, I think that will do. Unlike some of my predecessors I will make no effort to keep track of rumors or current talking points, as this is both virtually impossible to obtain and largely without utility; to casual readers I say that if a topic is of importance, rest assured it will remain present in discussions. Also, feel free to ask someone for a recap! Many of our dedicated members will happily oblige.

While I am not the arbiter of conduct for these threads, it is my suggestion that each OP write most of the original post from scratch. The initiative to cycle through OPs regularly, originally with the intent of each thread having a brand new one for each new thread. I wouldn't be upset by anyone reusing any of my contributions or previous ones; indeed, everyone having their own approach is part of the fun. I adore MondoMega, for example, and our approaches to this thread's original post are wildly different. Everyone has their own philosophy, style, and most critically availability for engagement, which I embrace.

In the future, a line of succession will be listed here as it develops.

Index
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT| - Kevin360
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT2| Reset The Thread - Mina
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT3| Nintendo Direct Speculation Trilogy HD - Raccoon
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT4| The Sequel to OT3 is Now in Development. - Phendrift
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT5| But why? OT4 Was Still Selling... - Meelow
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT6| OT7 Has Been Rated in Korea - skittzo0413
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT7| March Madness - chase beck
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT8| Begun, The Nintendo Has - Hero of Legend
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT9| Black Lives Matter far more than video games - Hero of Legend
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT10| Bakugan with the Wind - Hero of Legend
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT11| Honey, I shrunk the Directs - Plum
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT12| A delayed Direct is eventually good, but a rushed Direct is forever bad - nrvalleytime
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT13| is your lucky number..... and am out - BozPaggs
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT13-2| lighting strikes twice - BozPaggs
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT15| Available for a limited time only - Raccoon
Nintendo General Discussion |OT16| New Nintendo Direct Speculation - Phendrift
Nintendo General Discussion |OT17| Trans Rights are Human Rights - Phendrift
Nintendo General Discussion |OT18| Is anyone else's thread collecting dust? (Trans Rights are still Human Rights) - Brofield
Nintendo General Discussion |OT19| + Browser's Fury (+ Trans Rights are Human Rights) - MondoMega

NintendoEra Official Discord:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lets Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UkKuKJC.png

Raccoon Thanks for keeping up the "Trans rights" in the title!

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Can't believe we are getting botw2, bayonetta 3, Metroid, Zelda collection, a new 3D Mario, persona 5 switch, smt 5, a new fire emblem, new smash characters, and more all in this OT!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This is the thread where Mario Sports Mix 2 happens. With Agnes from Bravely Default...

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Hey Racoon. Thanks for the OP. Can't wait for tomorrow.

I'll start preparing the popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.