• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for my card to expire and my saves to delete between renewals.

In most cases that wouldn't matter. You'd just resubscribe and it would re-synch your saves.

Also 'cannot guarantee' doesn't mean definitely won't. Maybe they stay on the server for a little while but if you disconnect and come back five years later, they may be gone by then.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the mod update.

It seems more reasonable now.

I think I'm going to sub online to see how it is and depending I might keep going

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what i cant fathom is how people were reacting like if you stop the sub you would lose your saves.

are people really that stupid? or their nintendo hate is jut that big??

like holy shit

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Source, and list of other game with similar save file sizes please.

Also, do you even have that game, or are you just on here to hypothetically complain?
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27434

There you go. Why am I doing all this leg work for you? Large save files DO exist. And now I cannot rely on the cloud saving to back up those huge save files, and instead need to continue to take up huge amounts of space on my Switch

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the correct way to read the NA statement is:

"After an extended amount of time has passed after cancelling service, your saves may be deleted."

So:

1) Cancel
2) Extended amount of time passes
3) Saves MAY be deleted.

The title seems to be cutting out the middle part (step 2).

Mar 29, 2018
Steam does cloud storage for free, and Google Drive gives 20GB of free cloud storage to the end user. I don't even get why such an essential feature is being held ransom behind a paywall. Nintendo won't even let you back your saves up to an SD card like the Wii did.

Not only that, but almost everything else that their online service has isn't really worth $20. We have accepted mediocrity because braindead consumers will literally buy anything, and Nintendo is just cashing in on the greed that other console manufacturers have dipped into.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"After an extended amount of time has passed after cancelling service, your says may be deleted."

So:

1) Cancel
3) Saves MAY be deleted.

the title before this one implied what you are saying,

and people demanded the mod's head

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
We can't guarantee is a nice way of saying you're likely to lose them, and don't blame us if you do.

For a platform that denies its users the ability to save externally, having a paid cloud solution that doesn't even promise to save your data is shitty.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the big deal here. The cloud save that will get deleted is the same exact save that is on your Switch. The real issue is the one that was there since launch. You can't backup saves to SD card/USB like you can on a PS4.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Does anyone else not see what the big deal is about cloud saves? Am I just old and out of touch? In my 7 years of PS+ outside of one PS3->PS4 upgraded version save transfer I don't believe I've ever used cloud saves on a console. Am I just not playing the right types of games? I mean outside of a burglar,fire, or spooky ghost hurling my switch off the dock and into the wall, my saves will still be ON the system. I guess I can see a bit of piece of mind insurance for those who take their switch outside or play only multiplayer games, but the chances of something befalling a system during a presumably small lapse in subscription is very very slim.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
We can't guarantee is a nice way of saying you're likely to lose them, and don't blame us if you do.

For a platform that denies its users the ability to save externally, having a paid cloud solution that doesn't even promise to save your data is shitty.

If you pay they will save your data what are you saying?

Nero

Jan 18, 2018
I wonder if the reason the UK site explicitly call out when cloud saves expire is because of those European privacy and data retention provisions. If I don't intend to renew my subscription, theoretically I can sue Nintendo if they're still keeping data about me?

Mar 29, 2018
Does anyone else not see what the big deal is about cloud saves? In my 7 years of PS+ outside of one PS3->PS4 upgraded version save transfer I don't believe I've ever used cloud saves on a console. Am I just not playing the right types of games? I mean outside of a burglar,fire, or spooky ghost hurling my switch off the dock and into the wall, my saves will still be ON the system. I guess I can see a bit of piece of mind insurance for those who take their switch outside or play only multiplayer games, but the chances of something befalling a system during a presumably small lapse in subscription is very very slim.

The issue is that Nintendo literally provides no way of backing up your saves to an SD card or a USB stick, so cloud saves are the only option.

The PS3 and PS4 at least let you back up your data without needing an online subscription.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"After an extended amount of time has passed after cancelling service, your says may be deleted."

So:

1) Cancel
3) Saves MAY be deleted.

It can be understood that way, but without any reference for how long "extended amount of time" is, it could mean anything from 0 to the heat death of the universe. Just because they can't guarantee a long period of time, doesn't mean they guarantee you any time at all.

And considering that:
  1. The UK comment is clearer about it being immediate
  2. The question was about being able to access the saves, nothing about how long
  3. The mod has already stated the full statement wouldn't fit.
I think the title is completely fair.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't see the big deal here

Does anyone else not see what the big deal is about cloud saves

upload_2018-9-14_12-4-33.png

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017

So:

1) Cancel
3) Saves MAY be deleted.

That isn't what it says though. It says they can't guarantee they will kept after an extended period. That does not mean a guarantee that they will be kept for an extended period, nor does it define what they consider extended. All we can gather for certain is that Nintendo makes no promises to keep the data indefinitely.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the reason the UK site explicitly call out when cloud saves expire is because of those European privacy and data retention provisions. If I don't intend to renew my subscription, theoretically I can sue Nintendo if they're still keeping data about me?

The UK site doesn't explicitly call out the expiration of the saves though does it? By my reading, it calls out when you lose access to the backups. Just seems like different wording for the same thing.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam does cloud storage for free, and Google Drive gives 20GB of free cloud storage to the end user. I don't even get why such an essential feature is being held ransom behind a paywall. Nintendo won't even let you back your saves up to an SD card like the Wii did.

Not only that, but almost everything else that their online service has isn't really worth $20. We have accepted mediocrity because braindead consumers will literally buy anything, and Nintendo is just cashing in on the greed that other console manufacturers have dipped into.

Japanese companies seem to be slow to adapt to industry standards. I'm trying to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt here because I can't believe hosting a meager amount of GB for your consumer for free would cost them too much. It's just that the decision makers at NCL are incompetent in certain ways

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
It can be understood that way, but without any reference for how long "extended amount of time" means.

And considering that 1:
  1. The UK comment is clearer about it being immediate
  2. The question was about being able to access the saves, nothing about how long
  3. The mod has already stated the full statement wouldn't fit.
I think the title is completely fair.

Right, if creating the perfectly possible hypothetical scenario of extended amount of time being a day or two (or less) causes enough backlash and awareness that something more concrete / pro-consumer is done, that's for the best.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"After an extended amount of time has passed after cancelling service, your saves may be deleted."

So:

1) Cancel
3) Saves MAY be deleted.

You're wrong they can't guarantee it, either short or extended period of time. JP page never mentions the "extended period of time" , UK neither too, adding that it might be inmediate.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So Microsoft and Steam both will keep your cloud saves for all eternity after you stop using the service? Like millions of years? They absolutely will never delete an inactive users data even decades after they abandoned their account?

So your point is that the only meaninful amounts of time are zero or infinity and anything that's not infinity should be rounded to zero before comparison?

Also, Sony's 6 months might not shorter than Nintendo's "extended period of time" or it might be, perhaps if someone asks them directly they may elaborate? I don't know. Not sure where greater than zero is coming from, clearly "extended period of time" doesn't mean mere hours or a single day, unless you're being obtuse about it.

You realize I posted before the new information and mod edit, and at that time it was stated they were deleted immediately, do you?

Also, as far as I know Sony's is "we keep them for at least six months". Six months + indeterminate is still better than zero months + indeterminate, as long as the indeterminates don't become determinates (at which point you'd add them to the determinate part).

Still not seeing the issue. If you are using the cloud saves for insurance, which is why you would use cloud saves, then you would make sure your sub doesn't lapse.

Or you would not care that your sub lapses because they don't fucking delete your saves the second it does, and are rather insured for at least the time they'll take to delete the saves. Which self-evidently makes this period of time a relevant factor.

I'm open to opinions here, I'm not being closed minded.

Stating things doesn't make them truer.

My entire point is that the guaranteed time between subscription lapsing and saves being erased is a relevant consideration. If they're offering a reasonable time buffer, then wonderful.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So if a payment is missed, or you just can't afford it, or even just forget to backup your saves because not many people remember to actively keep up with their subscriptions, you're just fucked without a grace period?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
This whole online thing is the worst. Plus and Gold are AMAZING in comparison.

But I want to play Smash online, so I have to pay...

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if a payment is missed, or you just can't afford it, or even just forget to backup your saves because not many people remember to actively keep up with their subscriptions, you're just fucked without a grace period?

If by "fucked" you mean that you're still using your local data but not backing it up then yes.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017

So:

1) Cancel
3) Saves MAY be deleted.

Hmm.. this sounds reasonable. Need Nintendo to clarify step 2.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
If by "fucked" you mean that you're still using your local data but not backing it up then yes.

Picture a realistic scenario where he sold his system one year ago and just bought a new one.

He's fucked.

That shouldn't be. And anyone downplaying this isn't acting in their own best interests or those of their fellow users.

Nero

Jan 18, 2018
The UK site doesn't explicitly call out the expiration of the saves though does it? By my reading, it calls out when you lose access to the backups. Just seems like different wording for the same thing.
Yeah, I expect not to be able to access my cloud backups if I don't pay for the service.

As someone who lost 300+ hours in XBX and 200+ in Hyrule Warriors on WiiU despite backing the saves up because the console repair changed the serial number, I'm happy to have this but reluctant to pay for it. That being said, I really don't mind if the backups are lost immediately upon my subscription lapsing so long as they warn me in advance.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
You're wrong they can't guarantee it, either short or extended period of time. JP page never mentions the "extended period of time" , UK neither too, adding that it might be inmediate.

I am specifically (and say so) talking about the NA policy. The wording there (to me) sounds like they promise an "extended amount of time" before deleting the saves. I agree the other regions have different wording, so I wonder what the chances are each region handles save data differently from each other?

So your point is that the only meaningful amounts of time are zero or infinity and anything that's not infinity should be rounded to zero before comparison?

You realize I posted before the new information and mod edit, and at that time it was stated they were deleted immediately, do you?

While I am very much against the vagueness of Nintendo's policy so I won't argue back and forth much longer, in regards to Sony's, the indefinite duration is not that indefinite, we've had people in this thread say they've lost their saves after a year of lapsed service I believe? I'd have to go through again, but that's what I recall.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then there is no reason to pay for this service. When the chips are down like the switch is stolen or it breaks, and something happens with your payment, you lose.

Picture a realistic scenario where he sold his system one year ago and just bought a new one.

He's fucked.

That shouldn't be. And anyone downplaying this isn't acting in their own best interests or those of their fellow users.

I absolutely get that you can apply a number of worst-case scenarios to this. I don't think that acknowledging that these are indeed "worst case" scenarios is acting against your own best interests. I just hate seeing conversations that are dominated by extreme examples as if they represent the experience for the majority of people.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know Nintendo's subscription fee will be considerably cheaper than the competition but fuck it's getting harder and harder to justify even that.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
utwilGQ.png

For anyone curious as to what the UK page says.

Not much room for interpretation or poor wording in that one.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's fucked.

I had this scenario:

Had my 3DS stolen when out at a bar.
Went through police, had no luck, decided to buy a new 3DS but didn't end up getting it until 3-4 months had passed since the date I lost the original unit.

If that happened with any device with an online service, I would obviously prefer to not keep the sub going, so I'd cancel it. On any other platform I'd still keep the cloud saves. On Nintendo's platform, there's a good chance I won't unless there's a real big fuck up in communication. And since I'm from the UK, and the UK page is extremely clear there is no grace period, I'm basing my posts on that.

Uh, to play online? Cloud storage is just a bonus at this price point.

Yes, lets pay for a service which has been free until just now, is still free elsewhere, and doesn't even use Nintendo servers for the most part (afaik, most Nintendo games are P2P). Essentially gatekeeping your own internet connection.