• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It's promotional art for a studio, not concept art for any game. So whatever they are working on likely isn't gonna look like that.

But yeah I'm really excited to see a Monolith game that doesn't have a Xenoblade-style combat system (PLEASE)

Both that and another piece of art that was very medieval-looking were specifically attached to a recruitment ad for a game that was looking for people with knowledge of medieval and fantasy settings. While the final game will likely look different, I don't think it's meant as just generic promotional art like other recruitment ad art from Monolith (which often hasn't been attached to specific games, unlike that art).

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yoshi, Metroid prime 4 if it happens possibly Luigi's mansion 3

That's it fir me. Don't really like animal crossing or Pokemon.

Now where's that port of super mario maker?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The file size of Let's Go is under 5 GB, so I don't see how the new Pokémon would push the 32GB cards.

Depends on if LG is representative of what we can expect from the series going forward. Ultra Sun/Moon had one of the biggest game sizes on the 3DS iirc.

If the next Pokemon has a large amount of available pokemon, as per usual, and is actually a big step forward in visuals/design, then it could certainly be a big game file size wise.

Jan 2, 2018
Depends on if LG is representative of what we can expect from the series going forward. Ultra Sun/Moon had one of the biggest game sizes on the 3DS iirc.

If the next Pokemon has a large amount of available pokemon, as per usual, and is actually a big step forward in visuals/design, then it could certainly be a big game file size wise.

It'll be bigger than Let's Go for sure, but even Xenoblade and BotW were under 16GB, so I don't know. Nintendo games tend to have small file sizes. We'll see!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see if the DK franchise pops up in some form even if it's for a 2020 release, I think Retro's run with the series is over and I'm not sure where it would go next, would Nintendo continue to make it a western dev helmed franchise? would one of Nintendo's internal teams pick it back up?

I kinda feel that in this current run of PS1 platformer nostalgia that pushed Crash and Spyro back into the picture, there's time to strike when it's hot with DKC be it following in those footsteps of a hefty trilogy remaster or retrying the 3D angle (complimenting Mario's current open focus by going linear). I can't imagine they fumble with the franchise again like post Rare.

But at the same time I'm never sure what Nintendo's stance is on the series, it never gets given the anniversary treatment, despite reliability and sales it's sorta shuffled into the background or as Mario's second fiddle.

ANYWAY
Where's Super Mario Maker 2?

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
For Existing Titles
Zelda BOTW - DLC3 which includes Shrines that are like Traditional Dungeons and Traditional Bosses or in the Divine Beast you can challenge the Ghost Champions Daruk, Mipha, Revali, and Urbosa

Pokemon LGP/LGE - Wild Battle

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Mario Kart Double Dash Mode and a Diddy Kong Racing like Adventure Mode ^_^

Ports
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts Collection and KH3
Nier Automata
More Tales Port
Spyro Trilogy
Zelda OoT, MM, WW HD and TP HD
Metriod Prime Collection
Mario Maker
No More Heroes 1 and 2 Collection
Resident Evil 2 Remake, 5, and 6

Switch 2019
Tales of Vesperia
Pokemon Gen 8
Metriod Prime 4
Animal Crossing Switch

Will to existence
Marvel vs Capcom 4!!!!
Golden Sun 4!!!!!

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
100% going to nab a Switch again for Pokemon. It's basically the ultimate system-seller for me.

Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Yoshi and Metroid are also on my radar.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Square: Already announced FF games so come out in the first half. Square will have few surprises, DQMJ4 and a new SaGa game. From Eidos front, a port of Deus Ex Mankind Divided. No Tomb Raider. DQ11 will skip 2019' DQB2 will release in West late 2019. No KH either.

Capcom: Lots of retro shit. RE GameCube gabes are already coming, but they'll also announce RE2 Remake for Switch too. Another surprise is Ace Attorney 6, though it won't be from series creator Shu Takumi. They'll also bring other Onimusha games and a port of Dragons Dogma. No Monster Hunter despite the MHW2 announcement for other consoles. MH seems to be fine with Nintendo.

Namco: Ports of One Piece World Seeker, Jump Force and that Black Clover game. Brave new Tales will be announced for PS4 and Switch for 2020. Namco's other new titles are: Successor to Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, a new Boruto game, and SAO Alicization. All for 2019 fall. No Soul Calibur.

Konami: Nothing.

Sega: I doubt they'll announce anything else, I expect Sonic Racing to be their only game. Maybe Sonic Movie tie-in? I don't expect it, but I want a Dreamcast collection.

Koei-Tecmo: Lots of things but no one will care. More Musou ports of Vita games and a new Atelier game. No Ninja Gaiden, no Dead or Alive, no Nioh.

Atlus: SMT5! Full Switch exclusive and get crazy scores from gaming press. Will have online multiplayer, similar to Pokémon. Another surprise is 13 Sentinels. No Persona 5.

Bethesda: Doom Eternal is a 2020 game. But Bethesda will keep us busy with Prey and Fallout 4 ports.

2K: Here comes the biggest Switch supporter of 2019. First they'll bring XCOM 2. Than it's the game everyone's waiting for: GTA5. Not only that, 2K also brings PS2 era GTA games. Next, Borderlands collection for fall, all three games, but that's not all. Borderlands 3 is also coming, much thanks to Panic Button. WWE returns to Switch in 2019, with limited Impact Edition.

THQ Nordic: Nothing shocking. Except The Timesplitters Collection! After Saints Row The Third, forth game is also Switch bound. They'll actually bring their most of their Ps3 era library, including Kingdom of Alamur.

Activision: Crash Tag Team Racing will be their only game. No Spyro. No Call of Duty.

Ubisoft: Least predictable of them all. Is that Assassin's Creed collection really coming? If it is, I also expect a Far Cry collection too. That's it. They're too focused on next gen. Maybe at E3 will see the sequel of Mario and Rabbids.

EA: Fifa.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I can't wait for Metroid Prime 4 and I hope they announce next Monolith Soft game soon enough (I'd love a Baten Kaitos 1+origins remaster on switch, they are among my favorite rpgs).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I guess we really know nothing about the next Pokemon game so it'll be hard to judge the potential file size. I know some people talked about it "taking inspiration from BotW" or something but I'm not sure how much I buy that being a huge influence or anything.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
It's promotional art for a studio, not concept art for any game. So whatever they are working on likely isn't gonna look like that.

But yeah I'm really excited to see a Monolith game that doesn't have a Xenoblade-style combat system (PLEASE)
This is different I believe. You're mistaking it for other promotional material meant as generic hiring pieces like this:
monolith_soft_nintendo_3ds.jpg

However the artwork posted before is connected to a hiring for a specific project being created which I don't believe ever happened before. It was always just general hiring for the studio. That artwork was meant as a representation of what the project they're hiring for is as portrayed by their descriptions about the project. Now obviously things can change between concept art and final product, but that still means that this artwork does represent the actual thing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is different I believe. You're mistaking it for other promotional material meant as generic hiring pieces like this:
monolith_soft_nintendo_3ds.jpg

However the artwork posted before is connected to a hiring for a specific project being created which I don't believe ever happened before. It was always just general hiring for the studio. That artwork was meant as a representation of what the project they're hiring for is as portrayed by their descriptions about the project. Now obviously things can change between concept art and final product, but that still means that this artwork does represent the actual thing.

Oh, maybe I am mistaken! I thought it was the same style of promotional studio art, not connected to a particular project. Well then that gets me more excited!

Though again I really hope it has a completely different combat system from their past few titles.

Oct 25, 2017
2019 will be a very overwhelming year for Nintendo fans. There's still multiple games that haven't been announced yet.

Honestly, Nintendo could move multiple games to 2020, and it still wouldn't change much about 2019. It would still be a very packed year.
Oh, cool.
Was disappointed by 2018 (first party-wise), but I'm really hoping 2019 comes back strong.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I hope MP4 is what's showcased at E3 and that we're playing it by year's end. Probably not though... which is maybe a good thing since I still need to play through 2 and 3.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, maybe I am mistaken! I thought it was the same style of promotional studio art, not connected to a particular project. Well then that gets me more excited!

Though again I really hope it has a completely different combat system from their past few titles.

I think based on the bits and pieces that were translated from the site:

-It's a completely different type of game for them. Not sure if that meant setting, content, or otherwise.
-The two art pieces that were shown are directly connected to the project.
-They were looking for people with experience in what is popular with western audiences.
-Different combat system, more action focused.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting a revision that makes use of a smaller chip for power efficiency and higher clocks, ultimately making it more powerful in the process. Also add more RAM, internal storage, and a slightly better screen. I just don't see them doing a Switch Lite right before next-gen when their current system is already in dire need of a power upgrade.

Games wise I expect Pokemon and Animal Crossing to be the highest sold games next year, out of any platforms. I also expect the console sales around these two releases to skyrocket.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Nes games on Switch online. Might require a new premium subscription.
Do wonder what their plans are for classic re-releases.
Maybe a Nintendo Switch Online Gold that includes NES through GBA for $50 a year or something.
Not sure if people would sign up for multiple classic online subscriptions if they aren't part of the online service.

I think Gamecube and onward could be sold as standalone releases on the eShop.
NVIDIA made a pretty good wii emulator, probably could use that

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Looks to be huge from what's been anounced and what could potentially be anounced.

Deleted member 59

I....
I never knew how much I wanted this until now. The battle system could be really something else with the copy abilities.

Yeah Kirby lends itself well to the rpg genre imo, the different abilities are basically a type of "job" system already. I'd love a game with Kirby, Dedede and Metaknight teaming up to fight a big bad, sort of how Mario and Bowser have teamed up in the M&L games to fight someone else!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Its gonna be a crazy year. Yoshi's Crafted World and Luigi's Mansion 3 are going to be solid titles. Not system selling masterpieces, but solid new entries in their respective series that will help create buzz. Daemon X Machina will likely be a sleeper hit, probably something akin to Xenoblade in terms of new IPs. The holy trinity of Handheld Darlings is making it into the big leagues, with their first true HD experiences. Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem in the same year is a sales juggernaut anyway you look at it, not even the 3DS or DS had the honors to have such a year. Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 can happen this year or next, and are probably two of many wild cards for the next two years. Lastly, I think either a Wii Sports or a Wii Play successor will come for Labo sets 4 and 5, and will likely have a wild success despite the current sets average preformance.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Square: Already announced FF games so come out in the first half. Square will have few surprises, DQMJ4 and a new SaGa game. From Eidos front, a port of Deus Ex Mankind Divided. No Tomb Raider. DQ11 will skip 2019' DQB2 will release in West late 2019. No KH either.

Capcom: Lots of retro shit. RE GameCube gabes are already coming, but they'll also announce RE2 Remake for Switch too. Another surprise is Ace Attorney 6, though it won't be from series creator Shu Takumi. They'll also bring other Onimusha games and a port of Dragons Dogma. No Monster Hunter despite the MHW2 announcement for other consoles. MH seems to be fine with Nintendo.

Namco: Ports of One Piece World Seeker, Jump Force and that Black Clover game. Brave new Tales will be announced for PS4 and Switch for 2020. Namco's other new titles are: Successor to Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, a new Boruto game, and SAO Alicization. All for 2019 fall. No Soul Calibur.

Konami: Nothing.

Sega: I doubt they'll announce anything else, I expect Sonic Racing to be their only game. Maybe Sonic Movie tie-in? I don't expect it, but I want a Dreamcast collection.

Koei-Tecmo: Lots of things but no one will care. More Musou ports of Vita games and a new Atelier game. No Ninja Gaiden, no Dead or Alive, no Nioh.

Atlus: SMT5! Full Switch exclusive and get crazy scores from gaming press. Will have online multiplayer, similar to Pokémon. Another surprise is 13 Sentinels. No Persona 5.

Bethesda: Doom Eternal is a 2020 game. But Bethesda will keep us busy with Prey and Fallout 4 ports.

2K: Here comes the biggest Switch supporter of 2019. First they'll bring XCOM 2. Than it's the game everyone's waiting for: GTA5. Not only that, 2K also brings PS2 era GTA games. Next, Borderlands collection for fall, all three games, but that's not all. Borderlands 3 is also coming, much thanks to Panic Button. WWE returns to Switch in 2019, with limited Impact Edition.

THQ Nordic: Nothing shocking. Except The Timesplitters Collection! After Saints Row The Third, forth game is also Switch bound. They'll actually bring their most of their Ps3 era library, including Kingdom of Alamur.

Activision: Crash Tag Team Racing will be their only game. No Spyro. No Call of Duty.

Ubisoft: Least predictable of them all. Is that Assassin's Creed collection really coming? If it is, I also expect a Far Cry collection too. That's it. They're too focused on next gen. Maybe at E3 will see the sequel of Mario and Rabbids.

EA: Fifa.
You forgot, Konami already has a game announced for next year, the next in their r revival series, the awesome and mighty.... Hyper Sports R(super track and field).... ok maybe not that awesome

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
You know that even the port of DKC: Tropical Freeze sold over one million units?

Edit: 1,67 million (as of September 2018) to be exact.

Edit 2: Even Pokkén Tournament DX sold over a million units.
Yes. They did. Vastly superior games. With amazing recognizability and marketing.

Wow. Some (most) of those are wild.
Egregious I would say. Absolutely bonkers.

I'm not a fan of NSMB but it will absolutely sell well over a million units.

Im a huge fan. Which is why I am sad that this will happen.

You think NSMB will sell less than a million units AND Daemon X Machina will sell over 2 million?

A 2D Mario is not going to sell sub 1m copies on the Switch.
I do think so. I dunno why it bombs so badly. Must be something weird in the water.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
You know that New Super Mario Bros. U outsold both of those games combined on Wii U? It's a 2D Mario game. It will sell.

Oh, so you are joking with this "prediction"?
Not joking. More like those "Unnecessarily unlikely predictions that would blow up Internet if happening".
Put that up there as first one. I first wrote that it will sell less than 5 million units, but then I thought that since that's probably failing too, might as fail spectaculary.

Oct 30, 2017
For Existing Titles
Zelda BOTW - DLC3 which includes Shrines that are like Traditional Dungeons and Traditional Bosses or in the Divine Beast you can challenge the Ghost Champions Daruk, Mipha, Revali, and Urbosa

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Mario Kart Double Dash Mode and a Diddy Kong Racing like Adventure Mode ^_^

Ports
Persona 5
Nier Automata
More Tales Port
Spyro Trilogy
Metriod Prime Collection
Mario Maker

Switch 2019
Tales of Vesperia
Pokemon Gen 8
Metriod Prime 4
Animal Crossing Switch

Will to existence
Marvel vs Capcom 4!!!!
Golden Sun 4!!!!!

I would love to revisit my existing play through of Breath if the Wild, but not from scratch so an expansion would def bring me back, but didn't they specifically state that they were donezho for that entry of Zelda?

Lol I love your wishlist too.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we're past The Game Awards and still no MP4, I think it's a 2020 game, which I'm perfectly fine with...as long as Metroid Prime Trilogy HD is a thing and comes out in 2019.

I'm not expecting any other big surprises for 2019 as there is already a truckload of stuff already announced, but for unannounced things I'm putting money on Retro's game. Seriously, it's been more than 5 years since they finished DKC: TF. If it doesn't get announced in 2019 something is seriously wrong.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Not joking. More like those "Unnecessarily unlikely predictions that would blow up Internet if happening".
Put that up there as first one. I first wrote that it will sell less than 5 million units, but then I thought that since that's probably failing too, might as fail spectaculary.
Yep, 5M would also be failing. As of now, there are three 2019 games that could sell 10M+ : AC and Pokémon are guaranteed, and NSMBUDX should do it too

For Existing Titles

Ports
Persona 5
Nier Automata
More Tales Port
Spyro Trilogy
Metriod Prime Collection
Mario Maker

Switch 2019
Tales of Vesperia
Pokemon Gen 8
Metriod Prime 4
Animal Crossing Switch

Will to existence
Marvel vs Capcom 4!!!!
Golden Sun 4!!!!!
You know this is a thread of expectations and predictions, not hopes and dreams ? They specifically said that there won't be any more BotW DLC. Also, Wild battles for Let's go would mean remaking the game almost entirely, there is no way it can happen.

Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll get announcements for Mario Kart 9, a new Donkey Kong platformer and a new entry in the Pullblox series.

Yoshi will hit shelves sooner rather than later, by Easter I'd guess. Metroid Prime 4 will be released in Q3, with the hype starting in the first 2019 Direct and continuing henceforth. Animal Crossing will be the big holidays release.

I don't think there will be a Switch revision but I could imagine a new type of joycon, maybe for a specific game or style of games. I don't really know what but the ability to slide controllers on and off the console has always struck me as potential for alternatives. The Switch Online NES pads are a first example of this versatility (although that's only for charging).

Speaking of Switch Online, SNES will be announced and possibly even start appearing by the end of the year.

I'm so tempted to say we could hear something, even tiny, about a Breath of the Wild follow-up but maybe it's too early.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I just want to be excited about the Switch again. 2017 was awesome. 2018 was not that.

Things are off to a good start for me as I'm excited to have NSMBU on the Switch on January 11th.

Of course if those Wave Race rumors turn out to be real, any year a game like that comes out will immediately make it an amazing year on the platform for me. :D
Was there ever a rumor though or pure speculation based on trademark updates :/

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do wonder what their plans are for classic re-releases.
Maybe a Nintendo Switch Online Gold that includes NES through GBA for $50 a year or something.
Not sure if people would sign up for multiple classic online subscriptions if they aren't part of the online service.

I think Gamecube and onward could be sold as standalone releases on the eShop.
NVIDIA made a pretty good wii emulator, probably could use that

Nintendo unfortunately hasn't quite decided what to do with legacy content.
VC abandoned.
Classics abandoned.

We'll see what happens with NES online.

I haven't bought any digital classic games because of this failure.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I really want a Xenoblade X deluxe port and a Mario Maker sequel.

I also expect a teaser on a new Zelda game and/or maybe the next Monolithsoft project. They won't be out this year tho.

A Xenosaga trilogy would be nice.

Metroid 4, Prime Trilogy, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Yoshi will be amazing.

Don't forget all the classic Final Fantasy games that will launch this year.

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
There will for sure be some sort of Zelda game. Maybe a 2D one? Maybe a spinoff? I'm not sure. But there will certainly be one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think we'll get announcements for Mario Kart 9, a new Donkey Kong platformer and a new entry in the Pullblox series.

Yoshi will hit shelves sooner rather than later, by Easter I'd guess. Metroid Prime 4 will be released in Q3, with the hype starting in the first 2019 Direct and continuing henceforth. Animal Crossing will be the big holidays release.

I don't think there will be a Switch revision but I could imagine a new type of joycon, maybe for a specific game or style of games. I don't really know what but the ability to slide controllers on and off the console has always struck me as potential for alternatives. The Switch Online NES pads are a first example of this versatility (although that's only for charging).

Speaking of Switch Online, SNES will be announced and possibly even start appearing by the end of the year.

I'm so tempted to say we could hear something, even tiny, about a Breath of the Wild follow-up but maybe it's too early.
Don't forget, Pokémon Gen 8 is a thing that'll be out in late 2019 (likely in November).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The cartridge cost problem really is depressing. It means that potential games are skipping the system just because its too expensive to publish these games when they would otherwise be ported. I hope Nintendo is working on bringing cart costs down.

I also feel that the potential lineup for 2019 sounds good in sales potential but I would like to see more games like Deamon x Machina announced. Im really hoping Square has some good stuff coming and I would love to see surprise announcements like Eternal Darkness.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
My Hopes:
Switch Pro/Lite/Super/DX/Ultimate/U gets announced so i can buy it.
FE Three Houses gets a Story based season pass.
Xenoblade X gets a DX port, now with Siren and Aion(maybe even some DeamonxMachina crossover).
Smash DLC includes DQ character.
Persona 5R gets announced when Joker in Smash gets released.
DQ11S gets a release date, as well as a western release.

My Expectations:
Event corner:
Pokemon Gen 8 gets released on November 15 2019.
Animal Crossing gets released in summer 2019.
Metroid Prime 4 gets the Winter release spot, most likely December.
New Zelda gets announced to be in Development(with title).
A Mario Game gets released.
Final or second to final Smash DLC character is the Final form of the Gen 8 Grass starter.(ps: itsgonnabefurrybait)

Sales corner:
Switch Sales top 55m by the end of the year.(aka, 20m two years in a row)
Smash tops 15m in sales.
Lets go tops 13m in sales.
NSMBUDX(the ultimate name) tops 7M sales.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Was there ever a rumor though or pure speculation based on trademark updates :/
Takahashi himself teased it.
Earlier this year, when asked about Wave Race, he smiled and said "I really like Wave Race. We've been working on a lot of games recently. Wave Race might be one of them"

But strangely no rumors at all about it. But I mean, Takahashi basically just said it's a thing they're working on.