• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the 1st dungeon in OoT and loving it. Can't wait to also play Mario 64 and Yoshi's Story after I finish OoT.

I'm guessing the first update for NSO N64 will be in December? Would make sense then, since Nintendo has nothing coming out that month. My dream releases would be Majora's Mask and Paper Mario for that update.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, initial datamining time. There are at least 38 N64 games planned for the service.

t6OH7xo.png

They're listed alphabetically, so you could try to guess which games fall into the gaps. I'm certain #37 is Majora's Mask and 14-16 are Mario Party 1-3, for example.
What's the source on this?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Mega Drive proved to be even more interesting.

WS0PxPw.png

At least 52!

And if you needed more proof that at least one additional NSO platform is coming, look at the first digit of the game IDs. SNES was 2, N64 was 3, MD is 5. Essentially; Game Boy is coming.

Last edited:

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, initial datamining time. There are at least 38 N64 games planned for the service.

t6OH7xo.png

They're listed alphabetically, so you could try to guess which games fall into the gaps. I'm certain #37 is Majora's Mask and 14-16 are Mario Party 1-3, for example.

I think we'll get something close to this:

1 - 1080 Snowboarding
2 - Banjo-Kazooie
3 - Banjo-Tooie ???
4 - Bomberman Hero
5 - Cruis'n USA
6 - Donkey Kong 64
7 - Dr. Mario
8 - Excitebike 64 ???
9 - F-Zero X
10 - Kirby 64
11 - ???
12 - Mario Golf
13 - Mario Kart 64
14 - Mario Party
15 - Mario Party 2
16 - Mario Party 3
17 - Mario Tennis
18 - Ogre Battle 64
19 - Paper Mario
20 - Perfect Dark ???
21 - Pilotwings 64
22 - Pokemon Puzzle League
23 - Pokemon Snap
24 - Pokemon Stadium ???
25 - Pokemon Stadium 2 ???
26 - ???
27 - ???
29 - Sin & Punishment
30 - Star Fox 64
31 - Super Mario 64
32 - Super Smash Bros.
33 - Wave Race 64
34 - Win Back: Covert Operations
35 - Wipeout 64 ???
36 - Yoshi's Story
37 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
38 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I'm still puzzled about the ones marked with "???". Tried to keep the list "sober" and realistic, based on past Virtual Console releases.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
From the previously announced games...
1-6 include Banjo Kazooie
8-12 include F-Zero X, Kirby 64, Mario Golf
18-29 include Paper Mario, Pokemon Snap

That leaves 22 games unconfirmed.

1-6 probably includes Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, and DK 64. Blast Corps is a possibility I suppose, but I'd bet no. 1080 is probably more likely than not in this group but hard to know. Maybe one of the Cruis'n games?
8-12... maybe Glover? Excitebike 64 is likely. Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, and Killer Instinct would fit here but my hunch is only the Rare games closely associated with Nintendo will make it over.
18-29 will probably include Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Stadium 2 (I'd guess only one of the games, not both). Maybe Pokemon Puzzle League since there aren't any other likely puzzle games for the N64. Also Pilotwings 64
32 & 33 has 3 candidates. Super Smash Bros, Wave Race 64, or 1080 Snowboarding. Depending on how they alphabetized it, 1080 could be #1 or #32-33.
35 is without a doubt Wonder Project J2 for Japan only

It deconfirms a couple titles too. No Snowboard Kids
You forgot the custom robos

wVZY88I.png

At least 52!

And if you needed more proof that at least one additional NSO platform is coming, look at the first digit of the game IDs. SNES was 2, N64 was 3, MD is 5. Essentially; Game Boy is coming.
54 when you add the vectorman games

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Just started playing Ocarina of Time and the Switch controls are wonky. Kinda now want to get the N64 controller and play it on my TV. Nintendo should've mapped out the controls better like the 3DS Ocarina of Time game for Switch handheld

Oct 27, 2017
it's fine, n64 games play well (to me…) and i'm happy to have starfox 64 and mario tennis 64 on the go (and online, if any of my friends actually pay for this), but my excitement dulled after about a half hour. great games, but so few. i'm about mario 64'd out after last year.

if you're on the fence, it's not worth it (yet), at least for an individual membership. (if you're not on the fence, you already know you're gonna get this.)

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
it said it would just convert everything at .09 a day that was left, and if your sub was beyond that you wouldn't be refunded. So just be glad your plan wasn't beyond the point where your upgrade would've been free and you lost value.

Wait, you can lose value on the conversion? WTH?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
i probably already know the answer to this question, but they did not update the NES and SNES apps at all today, did they?

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Rough guess of what the games could be. Based on nothing other than what we know is coming already, the fact that they are Alphabetical, and my hopes and dreams. Red are games that are not confirmed and might be genuine wishes on my part, yellow are games that are confirmed to be coming but might fall differently on the chart(or are fairly obvious like Mario Party) and green are confirmed. I tried to get it into the able there but it's too much work for me right now so this is what we get. Curious to know how right I end up being.
gqfOvo.png

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Rough guess of what the games could be. Based on nothing other than what we know is coming already, the fact that they are Alphabetical, and my hopes and dreams. Red are games that are not confirmed and might be genuine wishes on my part, yellow are games that are confirmed to be coming but might fall differently on the chart, and green are confirmed. I tried to get it into the able there but it's too much work for me right now so this is what we get. Curious to know how right I end up being.
gqfOvo.png
Looks like some good guesses overall but I think since we're getting BK then Tooie is basically guaranteed

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
I think we'll get something close to this:

1 - 1080 Snowboarding
2 - Banjo-Kazooie
3 - Banjo-Tooie ???
4 - Bomberman Hero
5 - Cruis'n USA
6 - Donkey Kong 64
7 - Dr. Mario
8 - Excitebike 64 ???
9 - F-Zero X
10 - Kirby 64
11 - ???
12 - Mario Golf
13 - Mario Kart 64
14 - Mario Party
15 - Mario Party 2
16 - Mario Party 3
17 - Mario Tennis
18 - Ogre Battle 64
19 - Paper Mario
20 - Perfect Dark ???
21 - Pilotwings 64
22 - Pokemon Puzzle League
23 - Pokemon Snap
24 - Pokemon Stadium ???
25 - Pokemon Stadium 2 ???
26 - ???
27 - ???
29 - Sin & Punishment
30 - Star Fox 64
31 - Super Mario 64
32 - Super Smash Bros.
33 - Wave Race 64
34 - Win Back: Covert Operations
35 - Wipeout 64 ???
36 - Yoshi's Story
37 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
38 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I'm still puzzled about the ones marked with "???". Tried to keep the list "sober" and realistic, based on past Virtual Console releases.

For 26 and 27, I wonder if Ridge Racer 64 and Quest 64 might be possible.

For 11, maybe Goldeneye or Jet Force Gemini with the latter being much more likely. I can see Nintendo doing something like Harvest Moon 64. Maybe Gauntlet Legends?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Rough guess of what the games could be. Based on nothing other than what we know is coming already, the fact that they are Alphabetical, and my hopes and dreams. Red are games that are not confirmed and might be genuine wishes on my part, yellow are games that are confirmed to be coming but might fall differently on the chart(or are fairly obvious like Mario Party) and green are confirmed. I tried to get it into the able there but it's too much work for me right now so this is what we get. Curious to know how right I end up being.
gqfOvo.png
Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2 are confirmed, so those will take up two of those first 6 slots. I also think Harvest Moon 64 has a good shot at returning from Wii U, so that would go where you have Jet Force Gemini.

Is mario 64 the shindou version ?
Only in the Japanese app. International app issues regular NTSC-U / PAL ROMs

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

dJUoXvj.png

At least 52!

Ugh, they're using the Japanese names to order them I guess, based on Vampire Killer there? Plus Bare Knuckle. Will make it tougher to speculate.

That being said I'm seeing a Rocket Knight Adventures-sized space between Ristar and Shining Force. Hopefully!

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Only 6 before Dr. Mario seems tight, there are tons of possible games that could fit in there.

They better add Diddy Kong Racing.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you can lose value on the conversion? WTH?
yup fine print says you won't be refunded, so it seemed like if your plan was out until 2024 or so it would be free to upgrade and just not give you anything more back.

to be fair you are already losing some value as they are only giving you 9 cents a day for the plan when it should be 9.58 aka if you bought your plan today you'd lose a little over $2 in value in the conversion right away anyway.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Sin & Punishment and nothing else, then I read about all the issues....oof. The controller pak thing in Mario Kart is unacceptable especially, wtf.

Sin & Punishment seemed fine though.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I keep sending family invites to my brother-in-law and his girlfriend, but they don't seem to accept them so fuck it, I might just offer up those four slots to folks here instead at some point.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
gqfOvo.png

Way too many first party for a service that it's brother does not have basic Nintendo stuff.

Needs more Chameleon Twists and Glovers

If i am going to bet, we will not get a single mario party. I have more trust in Mario Paint for the N64DD than the party games considering they are remaking them

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
yup fine print says you won't be refunded, so it seemed like if your plan was out until 2024 or so it would be free to upgrade and just not give you anything more back.

to be fair you are already losing some value as they are only giving you 9 cents a day for the plan when it should be 9.58 aka if you bought your plan today you'd lose a little over $2 in value in the conversion right away anyway.

That seems pretty dumb that they limit how much you can convert on your existing plan, especially since you have a limit to how long your current subscription is. They should just allow you to convert it all.

What's even worse is you pointing out that you lose value in the conversion. That seems pretty shitty that Nintendo isn't giving you at least your full value in the conversion to begin with.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
I keep sending family invites to my brother-in-law and his girlfriend, but they don't seem to accept them so fuck it, I might just offer up those four slots to folks here instead at some point.
the funny thing is too that the invites are only valid for 24h like...i'm sending this person an invite i'm pretty sure they can be trusted for at least a week nintendo?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
gqfOvo.png
Can't see a world where Nintendo licences Castlevania but not the Bomberman games, which were vastly more popular and well received.

I agree with most of the rest of the list aside from Pokémon Stadium. It feels to me like they'd go with Stadium 2 since it's basically the same game but with more Pokémon. Would be cool if they manage to implement some sort of cross-functionality with Pokémon Sword and Shield too, but I doubt it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can't see a world where Nintendo licences Castlevania but not the Bomberman games, which were vastly more popular and well received.

I agree with most of the rest of the list aside from Pokémon Stadium. It feels to me like they'd go with Stadium 2 since it's basically the same game but with more Pokémon. Would be cool if they manage to implement some sort of cross-functionality with Pokémon Sword and Shield too, but I doubt it.
I think it's more likely we get both Pokemon Stadiums and Puzzle League over either of Rayman 2 or Robot On Wheels.

Etheid0n

Nov 29, 2020
For the animal crossing dlc, do all my kids local accounts on the switch need to be part of a NSO + expansion pack family plan, or can I just have an individual subscription?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
wbVb6Ji.jpg

Friggin' Greg, what a jerk.

Genesis games seem to play great, not that anyone was really expecting otherwise. MUSHA is fun outside of the stages being a bit on the long side for a shooter.

Everything else on there I'm already pretty familiar with, though a few minutes of Contra and SoR2 are always fun. I actually did a Shining Force replay early last year, so I'm not up for that, but I might try and play Phantasy Star 4 again. Would love to see some 3rd party deep cuts hit the Genesis service though.

Oct 26, 2017
gqfOvo.png
Wipeout would be surprising. I'm thinking Wetrix. Edit: never mind, that wouldn't be alphabetically ordered.

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
played a bunch of genesis titles and they ran flawlessly. really stark difference to n64, though to be fair outside of being annoyed by starfox's controls (before i remembered you could use right stick, as well as shoulder+face buttons), I haven't really had any problems. whatever 'lag' in mk64 I honestly could hardly tell. I haven't tried mario or zelda yet however, and I'm a lot more familiar with how those should feel.

i was surprised how bad strider was lmao. maybe that one was broken but it just wasnt fun, controlled strangely, and maybe it was a bug but attacking enemies had no sound effect? just silence

also, out of curiosity, what is the big deal about Gunstar Heroes? outside of trying it a decade ago, and just now, I never understood why it was a cult classic. however I did have more fun playing it now than I did a while ago. Just never caught it when it was new on genesis so I'd like to understand what made it a big hit.

Outside of that, loving the library, would just love to see Sparkster and maybe X-Men, as well as Vectorman. Plenty more to want as well and hopefully they'll be added, but like 25 or so games today alone is nice

edti: with all the extra dosh everyone is paying they better bust their asses to get more games out, faster, and titles people have been asking for
looking at you earthbound

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

WS0PxPw.png

At least 52!

Game Boy will be part of Expansion Pack ++ in 2024 or whenever

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
also, out of curiosity, what is the big deal about Gunstar Heroes? outside of trying it a decade ago, and just now, I never understood why it was a cult classic. however I did have more fun playing it now than I did a while ago. Just never caught it when it was new on genesis so I'd like to understand what made it a big hit.
Gunstar Heroes is essentially Contra without the one hit death mechanic, since it was made by a bunch of developers who left Konami to build Treasure. It's a frenetic action game with very flashy set pieces for the era and lots of variety in how you customise your character. I say play the minecart stage if you've only tried the jungle one, because that's when its ingenuity really shines bright for the first time.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to switch from a Family Membership to an Individual blows.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Gunstar Heroes is essentially Contra without the one hit death mechanic, since it was made by a bunch of developers who left Konami to build Treasure. It's a frenetic action game with very flashy set pieces for the era and lots of variety in how you customise your character. I say play the minecart stage if you've only tried the jungle one, because that's when its ingenuity really shines bright for the first time.
Word, makes sense. I don't think I had realized the first time that I played that you could switch between the powerups so easily too, plus the sliding, etc. Had a lot better time with it tonight and looking forward to more. Must be really cool to play multiplayer.

Lawr

Banned
Sep 17, 2018
On the N64 side, Fighter Destiny 2, MegaMan Legends and Mischief Makers are my pie in the sky dream inclusions. For Genesis, I hope we see Beyond Oasis, Crusader of Centy and Shadowrun.

Pink Yoshi

Sep 6, 2021
gqfOvo.png
Oh no, this would rule out Snowboard Kids...

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Here's hoping that they bring over Harvest Moon 64. Also what the hell give me OoT Master Quest xD

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice datamine MondoMega. Here is my prediction...

1​
1080 Snowboarding
2​
Banjo Kazooie
3​
Banjo Tooie
4​
Bomberman 64
5​
Diddy Kong Racing
6​
Donkey Kong 64
7​
Dr Mario 64
8​
F-Zero X
9​
Glover
10​
Hydro Thunder
11​
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
12​
Mario Golf
13​
Mario Kart 64
14​
Mario Party 1
15​
Mario Party 2
16​
Mario Party 3
17​
Mario Tennis
18​
Mega Man 64
19​
Mystical Ninja
20​
Mystical Ninja 2
21​
Ogre Battle 64
22​
Paper Mario
23​
Pilotwings 64
24​
Pokemon Puzzle League
25​
Pokemon Snap
26​
Pokemon Stadium
27​
Pokemon Stadium 2
28​
Sim City 2000
29​
Sin & Punishment
30​
Star Fox 64
31​
Super Mario 64
32​
Super Smash Bros
33​
Wave Race
34​
Win Back
35​
Wipeout 64
36​
Yoshi's Story
37​
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
38​
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

1-6 seems pretty predictable save for one or two changes. The bottom 10 is pretty predictable for the most part, 35 could be Wipeout or Worms Armageddon. 18-28 is where the biggest mysteries lie. We know of Snap and Paper but the rest is up for grabs. I probably wouldn't have put Stadium normally but given how many slots are open getting at least one of them can't be ruled out. There is always the chance for more JP stuff but nothing big came off the top of my head.

Very exciting stuff.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
The controls are definitely weird so I think I'll try and grab a N64 controller. Unfortunately they are out of stock on Nintendo's website, but the website does mention that there will be a restock at the end of October.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
So everybody in the nso family plan gets the expansion?
Coz to be fair then the initial price isn't too bad (considering all 4 of us actually play AC)