• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I bet Nintendo's takedown on ROM sites is related to how they will implement these games to online.
I think these takedowns indicate they are going all in with their service.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol maybe we'll get SNES games before 2020.

I find it annoying they've basically refused to put these games on the eshop. And now they're probably locking them behind their online subscription service. At the very fucking least put out SNES and NES games, don't make us wait a year or two smfh.

Hey Blinkin

Oct 27, 2017
Once they add more games to the library, I might consider it, but I don't play online often enough anymore to warrant purchasing the service.

I'm curious to see what the special offers are about. Hopefully it's better than their typical sale prices.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
The most mindboggling thing is launching this half-ass service when your biggest holiday game (Smash Ultimate) for which online multiplayer is playing a big part in is coming soon and this will only hinder it. Not by a majority but still.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Compatible games? Seriously?
Absolutely embarrassing. I wanted more from the online service not less.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm going into the Nintendo Switch Online stuff with the mindset of "I am willing to pay $25 Canadian a year to play Super Mario Bros 3 on my Switch" and considering the rest as a fun bonus haha

I literally thought this exact same thing.

As time has gone by and I've been more and more disillusioned with Nintendo's online plans, I realized that basically the only reason I still wanted to get it would be to play SMB3 on my Switch.

So then I asked myself if SMB3 was worth paying $25 CAD per year, and the slightly shameful answer I came to was "Yes".

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People get all upset but a 25$ a year Netflix style nes library with leaderboards is worth it to me alone.

If nintendo thought it was worth it, they wouldn't have to tie online play to the subscription.

They are because they know a large fraction of people don't care at all for the games and only buy the service to get backwards was previously free (c.f. PS3 and 4 ps+ numbers)

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Then they would have to raise the price for the service, doncha think? $20 nets you COMPATIBLE games.

Jeez man...

Why would they have to up the cost? It is 100% free for everyone on Xbox with or without gold. I thought this was a system level feature.... So we will still be worried about many saves even after paying for what we thought would be protection across all games... good lord

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
It feels like they keep pushing back as much as they can without giving another delay. At least this means I have a free month to play Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they have to up the cost? It is 100% free for everyone on Xbox with or without gold. I thought this was a system level feature.... So we will still be worried about many saves even after paying for what we thought would be protection across all games... good lord

Nothing about this says it isn't a system level feature. Some of you must be intentionally trying to twist this around. I don't know why though

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Uh oh.

It says Save Data backup IN COMPATIBLE GAMES. Meaning, not ALL of the games can be cloud saved.

UNNNGH

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Uh oh.

It says Save Data backup IN COMPATIBLE GAMES. Meaning, not ALL of the games can be cloud saved.

UNNNGH

Probably just covering their asses in the case of a game that can't allow it for some reason, like an MMO which would be using its own save system and not this one.

Edit: or Minecraft as suggested above. Or something else with obscenely large save file sizes.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of "compatible game" cloud saves (1st party titles), some NES games we all already have, and maybe a "it's your birthday here's 5% off one estore purchase" what's actually going to change here? Is Nintendo going to roll out a whole bunch of of Azure servers for better online gameplay? Something tells me nothing will change, especially with the low entry pricing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of "compatible game" cloud saves (1st party titles), some NES games we all already have, and maybe a "it's your birthday here's 5% off one estore purchase" what's actually going to change here? Is Nintendo going to roll out a whole bunch of of Azure servers for better online gameplay? Something tells me nothing will change, especially with the low entry pricing.

As with ps+ and Xbox live, the point is to pad out Nintendos stack of cash for as little extra effort as they can get away with. Actually investing the money would run counter to that goal.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man the "compatible games" part is pretty silly even for Nintendo. But hey, I get NES games at a dollar a piece so I won't complain.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The reason it's $20 is because, no, nothing on the online side is really going to change. You're paying for the same online functionality you enjoy today + some NES games + cloud saves. That's it. It's fine I guess, but it could have been so much more.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
The most mindboggling thing is launching this half-ass service when your biggest holiday game (Smash Ultimate) for which online multiplayer is playing a big part in is coming soon and this will only hinder it. Not by a majority but still.
They most likely are hoping that people will pay the ransom like I did with PS+ for Monster Hunter World online. So, it's exactly because of Smash that they're doing this.

To be honest, I think the cost isn't so bad if you can find people to chip into the family plan.

... That's what I keep telling myself because I'll likely need to pay the ransom, as my gf loves her Overcooked.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jfc just give us some concrete information for once, it's roughly six weeks away and we still don't know any real details

I can't believe how much they're fucking up the rollout of this super rudimentary service

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would cloud save backup work for an MMO?

Very easily. I play FFXIV on PS4 and you have a settings file that is basically required to upload to the cloud because if something happens and you have to reinstall the game or your HDD gets damaged, if you don't have that file saved then you have to set up every option and hotbar for all your classes again. It uploads to the PS cloud like any other save file would.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about this says it isn't a system level feature. Some of you must be intentionally trying to twist this around. I don't know why though

It says compatible games... suggesting games have to support it. I do not consider that a system wide feature. If it requires games to be patch to use it that is news to me.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to find people to play Worms with as it is, I hope the service takes off though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Jfc just give us some concrete information for once, it's roughly six weeks away and we still don't know any real details

I can't believe how much they're fucking up the rollout of this super rudimentary service

We know basically everything actually. All we don't know is the remaining 10 NES games, the exclusive deals/discounts, and the actual process for backing up saves. Everything else is spelled out pretty clearly on the website.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Was the fact that cloud saves are only limited to compatible games known? That's kind of horse shit.

It was known. From the OG PR

• Save Data Cloud Backup: By using Nintendo Switch Online, a backup of Nintendo Switch save data for most Nintendo Switch games will be stored online for easy access. This is great for people who want to retrieve their data if they lose, break or purchase an additional Nintendo Switch system.

Oct 27, 2017
So like videos and screenshots, game saves aren't a given. Nintendo are seriously the worst when it comes to operating systems. Just fucking terrible.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they provide Castlevania games in their free titles for the online program down the line.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We know almost everything. It's a very basic service. Nothing else announced is likely going to change your opinion on whether it's worth $20 a year or not.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Very easily. I play FFXIV on PS4 and you have a settings file that is basically required to upload to the cloud because if something happens and you have to reinstall the game or your HDD gets damaged, if you don't have that file saved then you have to set up every option and hotbar for all your classes again. It uploads to the PS cloud like any other save file would.
Okay but you aren't putting your "save data" onto Nintendo cloud, which is my point.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Only compatible games? What in The Fuck?...lol Why is there always some limitation with Nintendo? What's the bottleneck on why it can't be for EVERYTHING!?

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Aren't most of Nintendo's NES games single player? You can't do multiplayer Zelda, Zelda II, Metroid, Punchout, Kid Icarus or Kirby Adventure.

It's just the 3 Mario's which is going to be boring online, and uh Balloon Fight and Urban Champion?

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably for stuff like Minecraft where world saves can be gigabytes in size.
That's the whole point of paying for it though. If you have to pay for a feature that doesn't work when it'd be the most convenient... what's the point. (Besides I doubt that's the actual reason, they'll probably leave the choice to support the feature up to devs or something stupid like that)

I think that "what's the point" could actually sum up the whole approach Nintendo has had to online ever since Gamecube days.