• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of a "seems too good to be true" deal but the guys on slickdeals and reddit claim it works - Bestbuy is giving anyone that spends ten dollars and uses in-store pickup ten dollars back in store credit. You can do it three times per Best Buy account. So if you want eshop credit, you buy a ten dollar eshop card three times in three separate transactions for store pickup, and in January you'll receive thirty dollars in store credit, which you can then use to buy thirty dollars more eshop credit.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A word of advice around here: I bought a Ugreen 18W Fast Charge 3.0 AC adapter (EU) with one of their USB-C cables, and my Switch does NOT fast-charge, it takes a long time, and the battery slowly drains while playing. This, compared to the adapter in the box, which is fast as hell.
So after I return this, what are the compact travel adapters with EU plug that can charge the Switch at more than regular phone charger speeds?

sandkiller

Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
A word of advice around here: I bought a Ugreen 18W Fast Charge 3.0 AC adapter (EU) with one of their USB-C cables, and my Switch does NOT fast-charge, it takes a long time, and the battery slowly drains while playing. This, compared to the adapter in the box, which is fast as hell.
So after I return this, what are the compact travel adapters with EU plug that can charge the Switch at more than regular phone charger speeds?

That charger only seems to have Fast Charging for compatible Qualcomm devices.
It also seems to be a USB-a to USB-C cable which is not optimal...

Here's a chart I found on the web, with some examples of recommended chargers:
(i think the model you have falls under the 3rd category from the top)
5oXEONa.png

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That charger only seems to have Fast Charging for compatible Qualcomm devices.
It also seems to be a USB-a to USB-C cable which is not optimal...

Here's a chart I found on the web, with some examples of recommended chargers:
(i think the model you have falls under the 3rd category from the top)
Infinite wisdom
Holy hell, of course. The brand itself has a charger that looks the same but has Power Delivery 2.0, and its out-port is indeed a USB-C port.
Thanks a lot, now to returning this...

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

I have been having the same difficulty looking for something compact and can do proper fast charging for the Switch. The best to have would be something that supports USB PD, which apparently RAVPower isn't doing properly, leaving Xiaomi or Anker with their Powercore 26800+ PD. Only the high capacity ones do PD at the moment, whether they are portable enough is subjective. There are brands like Mophie that do smaller PD ones but they are pricey.

Below that I guess USB C out would also be decent. I might just hold on to a cheap one until manufacturers catch up with Power Delivery throughout their lines, seems like it's always a compromise between fast charging or portability at the moment.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, I just gave in and bought the official car charger for 12 bucks at Walmart. I get tired of worrying if my usb cable/plug has enough juice

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got Stern pinball arcade today. Really happy with it so far. Needs better load times and some online leaderboards though.

Did you mean to post this in a different thread?

Because Stern Pinball Arcade isn't out on Switch yet. It's been announced but it isn't even in the Coming Soon section so I'm confused.

I have SPA on iPad, PS4 and Gear VR and, while the tables are really good (if expensive), the game is a buggy mess on all 3 platforms.

Pinball FX3 will be out on the 12th and will include Sorcerer's Lair free. I prefer the real tables and physics of The Pinball Arcade/SPA but PBFX tables are still great and considerably cheaper and the software is so much more polished and feature-rich.

Plus PBFX3 supports tate mode, hopefully SPA will, too.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is shutting down the system bad?

The Switch seems to make it harder to do. You have to hold the power button on the actual device for a few seconds, scroll down and then you can turn it off.

That's not exactly difficult but in human-computer design it is an extra step that has an unconscious effect.

I then thought about the original PS2 systems. The fat PS2s had a power switch at the back but this was removed in the slim line version and you could only put the device into standby mode.

According to what I read on more than one occasion, every time you switched the old PS2 back on, a little jolt of electricity would run through the system. Over time these little jolts would wear the system down and break it. That's why the slim version only had a standby option and no ability to outright turn it off.

I have no idea if that was just all lies but I wonder if that is why turning off the system requires an extra step on the switch.

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Is shutting down the system bad?

The Switch seems to make it harder to do. You have to hold the power button on the actual device for a few seconds, scroll down and then you can turn it off.

That's not exactly difficult but in human-computer design it is an extra step that has an unconscious effect.

I then thought about the original PS2 systems. The fat PS2s had a power switch at the back but this was removed in the slim line version and you could only put the device into standby mode.

According to what I read on more than one occasion, every time you switched the old PS2 back on, a little jolt of electricity would run through the system. Over time these little jolts would wear the system down and break it. That's why the slim version only had a standby option and no ability to outright turn it off.

I have no idea if that was just all lies but I wonder if that is why turning off the system requires an extra step on the switch.
While turning things on and off generally causes wear, it's infinitesimal - especially with something as modern as the Switch. It's "harder" to turn off because it's meant to be pick up and play.

Benedict

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I got at Switch, screen protector and memory card now.
What is the best way/order to set it up?

I also have an English Nintendo account for my N3DS that I want to transfer to Sweden now that I have a Switch and Brexit is getting closer. How do I do that?
I might have a few pounds in the account but doesn't matter much if I lose them. I don't want to lose my digital 3DS games.

Do I also need to get a charger for my travels?

Last edited:

teflontactics

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada

I also have an English Nintendo account for my N3DS that I want to transfer to Sweden now that I have a Switch and Brexit is getting closer. How do I do that?
I might have a few pounds in the account but doesn't matter much if I lose them. I don't want to lose my digital 3DS games.

Put the memory card in, apply the screen protector (a lot of people suggest a steamy room), and start it up.

As for the account issue, you can always link said account with your Switch and use the money in the bank to buy a cheap game - then swap regions. You'd have to link it to your new Nintendo account, and transfer the funds to Switch - which I think must be done via PC.

Kramer

Oct 27, 2017

Because Stern Pinball Arcade isn't out on Switch yet. It's been announced but it isn't even in the Coming Soon section so I'm confused.

I have SPA on iPad, PS4 and Gear VR and, while the tables are really good (if expensive), the game is a buggy mess on all 3 platforms.

Pinball FX3 will be out on the 12th and will include Sorcerer's Lair free. I prefer the real tables and physics of The Pinball Arcade/SPA but PBFX tables are still great and considerably cheaper and the software is so much more polished and feature-rich.

Yes, it is out - in the UK.

Got my Swifch copy through today - and having spent hundreds of pounds on Farisight's tables across iOS and PS4 (and 360!) - this is possibly the least buggy version. No problems from the tables I've played, looks good, nice shiny ball.

Long load times, no online and no TATE however, but happy with this so far. Great stuff - Deffo take over from Stern on PS4 and iOS for me.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah sorry forgot to say I'm in the UK. Ordered from Amazon. I'm a big fan of SPA and FX3 so will be buying both. It's a pity Tate mode and no online yet but at least the core game is bang on. It was worth £30 just to play Ghostbusters. I do like at least half of the 11 tables anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I have finally joined the ranks of Switch owners as of yesterday, though I haven't had much time to play with it yet.
My first order of business was setting up my account/settings, sd card, and dock. Tonight my goal will be to install the screen protector. Tomorrow morning? I'll be performing this shell mod. Wish me luck! I've done the same for playstation and xbox controllers already but I hear that right joycon is a bitch.

B1ml3zul.jpg

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017

Switch aside, I don't think you can switch regions on your NNID on your 3DS without losing your games?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
So what is my best option for this?
Create a completely new NNID and user for Switch and treat it separately to my N3DS user?

Switch only uses NNID for purposes of My Nintendo rewards and friends list linking so you could just make a fresh Nintendo (not NNID) and not link it I suppose.

Im in the same situation as you, put 3DS on UK for Club Nintendo since Bergsala sucks. :P Fortunately we now have same rewards as everyone else (i.e. not much) and our eshop prices are generally better than UK ones.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
I have finally joined the ranks of Switch owners as of yesterday, though I haven't had much time to play with it yet.
My first order of business was setting up my account/settings, sd card, and dock. Tonight my goal will be to install the screen protector. Tomorrow morning? I'll be performing this shell mod. Wish me luck! I've done the same for playstation and xbox controllers already but I hear that right joycon is a bitch.

B1ml3zul.jpg
That is beautiful... good luck!

Benedict

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Tempered glass screen protector has been applied. Luckily it came with two because the first one managed to get two big specks with air bubbles that was too big to be left alone.
Second try was more successful but there might be some tiny specks that managed to sneak in, unless it's some tiny scratches on the screen. Difficult to tell on what side of the glass they are on.
Tried this guide by Orzly that worked OK.
The guide says wait 6-8 hours for the adhesive to set before docking the switch just to be safe. An email from Orzly states 24 hours.
So I'll wait until tomorrow before I'll continue with the installations.
I'm in no hurry, to much work.
Hopefully it looks a lot better when I turn on the system.
My first impression of the screen and its build quality is that it reminded me of my first Android tablet (ZTE) I bought 2011. So it can only get better ;)

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Tempered glass screen protector has been applied. Luckily it came with two because the first one managed to get two big specks with air bubbles that was too big to be left alone.
Second try was more successful but there might be some tiny specks that managed to sneak in, unless it's some tiny scratches on the screen. Difficult to tell on what side of the glass they are on.
Tried this guide by Orzly that worked OK.
The guide says wait 6-8 hours for the adhesive to set before docking the switch just to be safe. An email from Orzly states 24 hours.
So I'll wait until tomorrow before I'll continue with the installations.
I'm in no hurry, to much work.
Hopefully it looks a lot better when I turn on the system.
My first impression of the screen and its build quality is that it reminded me of my first Android tablet (ZTE) I bought 2011. So it can only get better ;)
I followed the same guide the other day. It was pretty easy to apply the screen protector with the hinge method. I think it was the first time I've managed to get a screen protector right first time.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it is out - in the UK.

Got my Swifch copy through today - and having spent hundreds of pounds on Farisight's tables across iOS and PS4 (and 360!) - this is possibly the least buggy version. No problems from the tables I've played, looks good, nice shiny ball.

Long load times, no online and no TATE however, but happy with this so far. Great stuff - Deffo take over from Stern on PS4 and iOS for me.

They're selling it as a complete product in the UK? Just retail or digital too?

It would be weird if Switch was the only platform without a F2P digital version. I'm definitely not buying it again for $40.

Also, no tate mode? That's an auto-pass, will stick to the iPad version I have. Big, vertical screen. Horizontal mode has unsatisfying camera angles and a smaller view with the wasted screen space.

Surprised it lacks the bugs of other versions.

Kramer

Oct 27, 2017
They're selling it as a complete product in the UK? Just retail or digital too?

It would be weird if Switch was the only platform without a F2P digital version. I'm definitely not buying it again for $40.

Also, no tate mode? That's an auto-pass, will stick to the iPad version I have. Big, vertical screen. Horizontal mode has unsatisfying camera angles and a smaller view with the wasted screen space.

Surprised it lacks the bugs of other versions.

Understandable that you don't want to purchase again - I think a digital release is coming on 12/12, but it's the console version rather than iOS - so looks much better than on iPad, even though iPad is ideal view. Here's the product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LOSIKYK/?tag=e100-21

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Something I really appreciate is that my switch is allowing me to actually beat jrpgs. I'll buy more of them on this system because the lack of a tether makes it so I'm less like to step away

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something I really appreciate is that my switch is allowing me to actually beat jrpgs. I'll buy more of them on this system because the lack of a tether makes it so I'm less like to step away

What JRPGs are there to beat? I Am Setsuna and Xenoblade 2?

Surely you haven't beaten Xenoblade yet...

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm going digital...

How are Resident Evil Revelations 1&2? Thinking of buying 2 (since I played 1 on 3DS ages ago).

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
What's everyone using for a charger for travel? is an iPad charger with USB-C cable viable?

I gave up and just bought another official adapter. It's too confusing, and it seemed the ones that would definitely work were the same 30-40 dollars.

Is there still an issue with the right Joy-Con? It keeps lagging.

I haven't noticed this in my short time with the system, but did you notice you can update the joycon firmware in one of the switch menus? That might help.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
I've got like 25 bucks in my ewallet, trying to decide on a game and I'm kind of stuck. I've had my eye on Rocket League (played a ton when I had my PS4), Sonic mania, shovel Knight, axiom Verge, battle ched brigade, and even RE:Revelations.

I don't know what to do

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got like 25 bucks in my ewallet, trying to decide on a game and I'm kind of stuck. I've had my eye on Rocket League (played a ton when I had my PS4), Sonic mania, shovel Knight, axiom Verge, battle ched brigade, and even RE:Revelations.

I don't know what to do

All of those are good games so you can't go wrong.
I guessnit depends on what type of game you are looking for? Like Rocket League is much different to Shovel Knight

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what to do

Cat Quest is worth looking at. Although it's cheaper on iOS if you have an iDevice...But consoles add dodge mechanics which are pretty huge. Game has a new "Mew Game" mode which is crazy tough. Good little adventure game.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is very disappointing that you can't use bluetooth headphones with the Switch. Would be a match made in heaven for on the go gaming.

Benedict

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just had a terrible thought... Is there a protective plastic screen cover on the switch when its new that you are supposed to remove, peel away?
I put on my tempered glass screen protector the instant I opened the box without checking...
I can't see anything that resembles that when I check now. Usually they are quite visible
Just doubting myself a bit...

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So my Switch's WiFi is suddenly actual garbage, for no discernible reason. Never used the full speeds available, but it used to be okay given the circumstances. Now the lag in Rocket League makes the game truly unplayable, and the system speed test hovers between 2Mbps or 20Mbps, but even after testing 20 the game is the slowest thing I've ever seen. Nothing about my network or the switch itself has changed, every other device is doing great, and this is while docked. I have an Ethernet adapter on order which is fine, but now I'm concerned that when I play in portable it's also going to be terrible.

Anyone else experience this or have a fix? It really came out of nowhere and I don't know what to do

valentine

Banned
Nov 15, 2017

B1ml3zul.jpg
Congrats. Also, which shell mod is this? Thanks!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Never ordering from GameStop again. Ordered Xenoverse 2 from them on Monday. Said it would take one day to process and then delievered in 4-7 Business Days. Well, it's over a week now and it took 4 days to process and based on what I can tell, hasn't even shipped yet! Says it will be here by Friday but thinking that's bull.