• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
I remember when GAF told me to buy Nier instead of Nioh and I fell for their trap.

uQpJf9g.gif

Oct 28, 2017
here's for another 2m more before Nioh 2, it went toe to toe with HZD as my favorite game from last year and has the best combat of all games ive ever played to date

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the stuff people hate about the souls games is absent (confusing directions, too much exploration), but the combat feels similar. I guess it depends what part of the Souls games you bounced off of.
Actually... maybe, but for me it's something else, even though I don't "hate" Nioh, it's all these weapons and items they throw at you, I can't be bothered to go into menus constantly to change and "evolve" my gear, just give me a reasonable weapon set and let me fight! - Which ultimately doesn't work as I'm currently stuck at the second or so boss and can't do any damage at all... stopped playing there a while ago and never got back, even though I enjoyed the game until this point - which isn't something I can say about the Souls games, which stopped being fun with getting one shotted in the tutorial of all things...

But yes, I'll say the combat in Nioh is really fun, it's the "loot" aspect that doesn't do it for me.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh has great combat, but falters in the level design and enemy variety, especially in the later half of the game. Also the loot system is a terrible mess. Would love to see a sequel improve on those aspects.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Best combat in a loot game.

And loot is pretty damn good when compared to Diablo.

All the Souls shit is the worst part of the game. I hope they go full NGB and Diablo

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed as expected for me (playing at 3440 x 1440 on a 1080).
Note that the game runs at variable resolution between 1080p and 720p in the 60 FPS mode on PS4 Pro, so it's inherently rather taxing.

I remember that running shadows above medium destroyed your FPS. I tested with a 1080 Ti and it made me confused on why it was that taxing. I then took it back to medium since I barely noted a difference. But I didn't get very far on the game.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I remember that running shadows above medium destroyed your FPS. I tested with a 1080 Ti and it made me confused on why it was that taxing. I then took it back to medium since I barely noted a difference. But I didn't get very far on the game.
They patched shadows, but still Nioh port is pretty mediocre - lack of optimization, antialiasing, no surround sound support..At least its not Nier level of quality lol

Oct 27, 2017
Super happy for them.

I thought the game was great (what I played, never finished it as life happened). Hope to see more from the IP.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Man I heard a lot of silliness about this game but the loot being bad is a new one haha

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
The loot system allows you to multi select and filter when selling or dismantling, it's really not that bad to manage.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes, well deserved. I fucking loooooove this game. The art of sword stance flux dance all day, every day.
Kodama <3!

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The loot system is about as good as any other game that uses randomly generated loot, so I can assure you that any issues you people had with it are entirely your own fault.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great game and great news

Wish it had done double that though as it was a cracking new IP and best action game this gen

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Nah I don't accept that haha. Fans of the game are fans for combat and loot. Preferences aside, it is not the issue with the game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Story?

But it's an amazing retelling of historical events. I do think it requires a little bit of prior interest in Japanese folklore tho.
I think it's a strong idea for a story (I mean, it started as a Kurosawa script, that's a given), but the way it's presented is kind of a mess. Characters are weak (outside of very nice designs), as are pacing and structure.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Addressing enemy variety, from the appearance point of view maybe (although I love their take on different forms of yokai) but there is far more variety in fighting the monsters than any of action game this gen.

Souls pretty much boils down to dodge and attack with no regard to spacing or weaknesses the way Nioh does.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the enemy variety complaint is definitely overblown. The new God of War has like ten different enemy types and it didn't stop people from getting bonered up over it.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i don't like most loot based games. I just don't enjoy the volume of loot you get. But that's my personal problem with this system and doesn't mean the one used in Nioh is bad, just not a fan of them at all. But that will not hinder me from enjoying the next Nioh game as i'm sure it will have a very similar system. I think the majority enjoyed Nioh's loot based gameplay.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think the enemy variety complaint is definitely overblown. The new God of War has like ten different enemy types and it didn't stop people for getting bonered up over it.
There's a fair few people who bring it up as a negative for GoW. That said, that game has a lot to do outside of combat (story, puzzles, exploration) + the encounter design is way more interesting in how it pairs the enemies.

Nioh is solely combat, and twice as long as a 100% clear of GoW.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's a fair few people who bring it up as a negative for GoW. That said, that game has a lot to do outside of combat (story, puzzles, exploration) + the encounter design is way more interesting in how it pairs the enemies.

I strongly disagree with that. Basically every GoW encounter takes place in the same kind of arena (a big room), and the combat is one-dimensional enough that even on GoW difficulty, I found the fastest way to deal with enemies was to just bait counters or spam the heavy ranged throw and runic attacks. For the last like ~two hours of GoW I completed every encounter by using my four runic attacks in a cycle.

Nioh enemies are way more varied, and I thought the game did a much better job of setting up interesting arenas to fight them in. The combat is actually fun, too.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Nioh is solely combat, and twice as long as a 100% clear of GoW.
No, Nioh is not solely combat, a large part consists of exploring. And unlike GoW you can get past enemies without fighting them.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather see Team Ninja at least attempt a new Ninja Gaiden before returning to Nioh considering that they play entirely different but I still want a Nioh 2 with much greater enemy variety.

Congratulations to the Team and to Nioh, it is a greatly deserved success especially for a game that was revealed way back on PS3. Looks like all those years and the hard work have paid off.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's great to see it sell so well. I'm also impressed by how high the trophy percentages are, meaning that people stick woth it more than other games. The DLC must've sold really well as there are a few DLC trophies at 13%+.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
It's great to see it sell so well. I'm also impressed by how high the trophy percentages are, meaning that people stick woth it more than other games. The DLC must've sold really well as there are a few DLC trophies at 13%+.

It's definitely my most played game in recent years, I usually drop a game after finishing it. I loved Nioh so much that I can't stop playing. I always go back to it after a while.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it sells even more cause it deserves it with all the insane amount of content packed into this game. It just keeps going and going and going lol. Loved every second of it honestly.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Always good to see that games like this have a market. I had some issues with it like the low enemy variety and the loot system but the combat was excellent.