• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Show up anyways and go:

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Nah, this is bullshit. I've always hated it when mutual friends invite either me or my partner to do something, but not both of us, and expect us both to show up.

We're individual people. If you want to hang out with me, ask. It's not like it's hard to turn "would you like to come to this thing" into "would you and your SO like to come to this thing" if you actually want both of them there.

Also OP, stay home and enjoy your time away from these assholes. Can't even be bothered to invite you specifically and then they're labeling you "quiet" just because you're not aggressively outgoing around some people that you don't know at all? Nah. Big yikes to be sure.

You summed up how I'm feeling much better than I did. Especially the last part.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. What's that quote about being normal again?

It happens to me constantly, and it's just frustrating at this point. It's not unfair of me to expect people to treat me and my partner as individuals, rather than a single entity. I've had people text my partner and have conversations with me *through her*. It's insane.

And on the quiet note, yeah. Also upsetting. I have a stressful, high intensity job that involves constant interaction with clients. When I'm done with a 60 hour week and going out, I'm not going to put effort into being aggressively social and fun around people who aren't willing to reciprocate. Being called "quiet" for this sucks. Y'all aren't my friends.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
A: Hey, I am just calling to check if ______ is also invited, is it okay if he comes along?
B: Ah, actually I was just inviting close/direct friends.
A: Okay, cool, thanks for letting me know, see ya at the party.

How do some people survive?

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has hosted parties, if I invite someone I sure as hell am assuming their spouse is coming. But it wouldn't be difficult as a host to clarify either way.

Ultimately if this is a group of people you want to or well, need to be friends in your wife's eyes, you should absolutely show. If it comes to be known that you feel like a victim and slighted from not getting a specific invite, I hesitate thinking you will ever be friends with them.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want someone's SO at your party, you have to explicitly say it. Everyone's SO is implicitly invited.

What? While other spouses are invited? NAH. What spouse with any integrity would accept that invite?

These motherfuckers were hoping OP would pick up on their cryptic hint and he did.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Nah, this is bullshit. I've always hated it when mutual friends invite either me or my partner to do something, but not both of us, and expect us both to show up.

We're individual people. If you want to hang out with me, ask. It's not like it's hard to turn "would you like to come to this thing" into "would you and your SO like to come to this thing" if you actually want both of them there.

Also OP, stay home and enjoy your time away from these assholes. Can't even be bothered to invite you specifically and then they're labeling you "quiet" just because you're not aggressively outgoing around some people that you don't know at all? Nah. Big yikes to be sure.

But they aren't mutual friends, it's his wife's work colleagues. I'm guessing they want her at the party and if the SO turns up that's fine if he doesn't it's just as good.

If he is "quiet" though that's not really an exaggeration it's an observation.

I've got a colleague at work, real nice guy I get on really well with him. His wife on the other hand is really hard work, nothing in common with myself or my wife and really quiet when she does come out. Whenever we have a gathering I'll invite him but I never invite his wife, sometimes she comes sometimes she doesn't.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go unless I'm specifically invited. Particularly if someone elses spouse was invited.

Also, if someone thinks you're a quiet person, that's not rude. If someone says "you're too quiet" or "why are you so quiet" or something along those lines, that is rude (or ignorant at best). There's a difference.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Your not invited... Let your wife go out and have a night out and you have a free night for yourself...

Don't over think it

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
Go buy the most expensive cheese plate at the cheapest store. Eat enough of it so its obvious from looking at it that some is missing. Walk into the party sucking on your fingers and smacking your lips exclaiming " mmmmmm that's some yummy in my tummy." Place the cheese plate centerpiece somewhere and make a big deal about how you brought it. Whenever someone tries to talk to you, clap your hands in front of their face.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it's implied since you're married.
Having said that, I still wouldn't go. I'd rather play the video game myself.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Depends on the type of gathering/party.
More and more couples have mixed gender circle of friends that are completely or partially different from their partner's friends.
And this is a good thing. This is progress in woman's suffrage/rights. In the not so distant past and present, women didn't really have their own circle of friends after they married. Only with other women that were in the same situation. Social gatherings with mixed company were either with your husband or not at all.

Family gatherings should always be together and implied, but everything else should be declared on who is invited. Normal parties with friends or co-worker gatherings are not important enough that you have to always bring your partner.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not very well, but I've hung out with them before (with my wife). Like I said I think they likely think I'm quiet and don't like them because I'm just an introverted guy around people I don't know. Which leads me to believe I'm not invited.

And whether or not I want to actually be there. Maybe? I would go if I were invited, but at this point I'm more put off to the whole thing and not going.

If your wife doesn't complain that you stay home gaming all the time: Stay home and enjoy.

If she often does complain that you don't? Go to the party and actually socialize.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You are invited. Inviting your wife but excluding you on purpose is some passive aggressive shit and very awkward for your wife imo. It has to be implied.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
In that scenario I'd say show up wearing a large coat and holding your car keys. If someone offers you a drink you were invited, if not you just turn around a leave.

That's theoretical - I would just play Sekiro regardless.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a girls night out party? Tell your girlfriend to ask if everyone's bringing their partners. If they are, it's kind of weird that you're not invited.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
If it were me, I'd take her to the party, wait by the car, wait for her to notice if people are wandering where I am and get the OK from the wife to go to party or to go play Sekiro XD

Honestly it's your wife so I'm pretty sure nobody would mind if you went.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Chill out. Lol

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There's nuance here. Yes, he's invited but they're hoping he actually doesn't come.

I don't think so. I think they think he is quiet and doesn't want to come and leaving him off an invite takes the pressure off him as he might feel obligated to go if he were on it. I am thinking they are trying to be considerate not dicks.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much to add but it does seem weird you weren't explicitly invited. I would overthink it too honestly. I'm interested in an update about the event and if they ask where you are when your wife shows up.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
The SO is implied. And inviting another's SO explicitly isn't necessarily a cryptic message that they hate your guts or anything. It's quite possible that the other SO is more outgoing and thus they are close to both halves of that couple, but that doesn't mean they don't want you there. Don't overthink it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just have her ask. That's what my wife does. Most of the time if I'm not invited too she doesn't even go herself.

Oct 29, 2017
Does your wife want you to go?
Is your wife the type to still want to go to a party where you are specifically not invited?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are missing an important tidbit. Other spouses were explicitly invited while the OP wasn't.
Yup. This is why I'm confused.

This is easily explainable. If the host knows both of the people pretty well, then they both get invited. If you know mostly one person, then that person gets invited with an implicit invite of the partner. It's weirder if you know both people pretty well who are a couple but only invite one with an implied invite to the other.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
It seems like they either genuinely forgot to call you ( considering they invited other people's spouse) or don't mind, not having you there.

I wouldn't attend such an event. I am sure you have better friends worth spending time on.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They probably didn't mention you specifically in the invite because they assumed you wouldn't want to go since apparently you always come off as being annoyed by them and disliking their company. I'm sure it's implied you could go if you wanted to.

If you want to get particularly paranoid, it could be that even though it's always implied that SO's are invited, they didn't specifically extend the invite to you because your standoffish behavior would bring the whole party down and they don't really want you to go. I'd show up anyways because fuck 'em.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Go buy the most expensive cheese plate at the cheapest store. Eat enough of it so its obvious from looking at it that some is missing. Walk into the party sucking on your fingers and smacking your lips exclaiming " mmmmmm that's some yummy in my tummy." Place the cheese plate centerpiece somewhere and make a big deal about how you brought it. Whenever someone tries to talk to you, clap your hands in front of their face.

This is the winning strategy.

In fact, I'd pay to see the OP do this.

OP
OP
Timeaisis

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This thread is surprisingly more 50/50 than I thought it would be. Glad others feel similarly to me here. Anyway, my wife just left, and I'm playing Sekiro. I will keep you all posted if I find anything out.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is surprisingly more 50/50 than I thought it would be. Glad others feel similarly to me here. Anyway, my wife just left, and I'm playing Sekiro. I will keep you all posted if I find anything out.
Oh wow. Like, do you think they'd start whispering behind your back if you went saying, "I can't believe he came too!" Well, at least they will now whisper behind your back because you decided to not go to a party with your wife and play Sekiro instead. I'm sure whatever "quiet" remarks they have about you is going to intensify. Like, how do you expect your relationship with your wife's friends to improve? Do you ever want to be name dropped by them?