Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many confused by TP hoarding?

If you and your family are in quarantine/self-isolation for 2-4 weeks, you need 2-4 weeks of toilet paper. No usual weekly trips to stock up at the grocery store because you can't leave the house. Worst case scenario you have too much and just don't buy it from the store for a couple trips when everything is back to normal.

Seems obvious to me. To be clear: I'm not hoarding myself. But I get why it is so common.

People are able to have someone deliver it to you.

It seems more like people had a false assumption that this virus causes diarrhea which it doesn't.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

If you and your family are in quarantine/self-isolation for 2-4 weeks, you need 2-4 weeks of toilet paper. No usual weekly trips to stock up at the grocery store because you can't leave the house. Worst case scenario you have too much and just don't buy it from the store for a couple trips when everything is back to normal.

Seems obvious to me. To be clear: I'm not hoarding myself. But I get why it is so common.

There were a lot of people hoarding TP for years (4-10 48 roll packs).

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Shit's fucked, huh? Damn. Stay safe, Denmark. And thank you so much for the translation.
At the press conference this came from, the status was given as not fucked... yet. The entire point of these rather extreme measures is that the amount of ICU beds are limited, so we need to keep maximum simultaneous ICU patients below that at all costs.

That comes both with retooling the health care system on the fly to be emergency procedures and corona virus treatment ONLY, for a while, and by slowing the infection down. So if you have a heart attack or cancer, or similar time senstive emergencies, you're getting treatment. If whatever you have can wait, it will wait. They expect about 4000 ICU cases in Denmark from this by the time it's over. We do not have 4000 ICU beds at the same time. Hence the extreme measures.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
Similarly, ALL travel out is now discouraged. Unless you have a critical reason, you should stay home. The entire world is in "orange" condition, with the known hotspots being "red". Those colors mean things for travel restrictions, but you can guess, I assume. If you're a Dane and not in Denmark, you are heavily encouraged to return home immediately.

Seems all Europe is going into lockdown. Here in Czech Republic we can't travel out at all. Only if you have permanent work in different country and commute there daily.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody needs that much toilet paper. I have been using the same role for two weeks and it's not even remotely close to being done. I am thorough and also use baby wipes. These individuals are actually insane and or wasteful.

Even just for myself, I would buy maybe 2-3 extra single rolls tops. What people are doing is preventing care for those that need it. Grab a pack and be done with it. If your family is wasteful tell them to cut that shit out.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Well eventually we will all need testing to be allowed to get back to work/school .. etc.

We can't all stay home forever.

I have no idea how long this would even take to implement, or the costs involved. Or if it's a dumb idea.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Dropped by an Aldi in Chicago and it was pretty chill in there. Plenty of TP on the shelves as well. I've seen some grocery stores busier than others around the city, but it appears that as far as food goes, the shelve's are still completely stacked everywhere I've gone this week.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
would you guys say its safe to go out and pick up some chipotle and bring it back home? not sure how the virus is effecting the food business really.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have a trip planned to the Carribean in a few weeks and right now I am thinking I will still go. Am I crazy?

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
There is a chance that Slovenia will go into full lockdown on Monday. Currently just a rumor, but I think it will be true.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
went to three stores today and TP was picked fucking clean. There's a limit too, so you just know people are hitting up multiple stores and hoarding that way.

assholes.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody needs that much toilet paper. I have been using the same role for two weeks and it's not even remotely close to being done. I am thorough and also use baby wipes. These individuals are actually insane and or wasteful.

Even just for myself, I would buy maybe 2-3 extra single rolls tops. What people are doing is preventing care for those that need it. Grab a pack and be done with it. If your family is wasteful tell them to cut that shit out.

My theory is that TP just comes in such large packages it's just easier to notice it missing when shopping. So a few people buy a little more than usual then it's easy to see that quantity missing which causes more and more to get bought.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
So what does it mean for the EU? Everyone is for themselves now, showing no unity whatsoever.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Went to Costco for groceries before it gets nuts. Got the regular stuff and looked around, they were totally out of TP, soup, rice, disinfectants, and cough syrup. They had lots and lots of water though.

It was about twice as busy as it normally is, but surprisingly organized.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
any country not going to lockdown and shutting down schools are only prolonging the inevitable and only worsen the damage the virus will do to its population

The UK, Sweden, Germany, and so on - what the hell are you doing?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So my company has decided to put notices on how to wash your hands as the only response 😂

While here in the IT dept our director wants us to test VPN connection by Sunday to see if it works fine for everyone

I tested that shit yesterday 😆

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
would you guys say its safe to go out and pick up some chipotle and bring it back home? not sure how the virus is effecting the food business really.

I don't know where you live but where I live going to the restaurant may be the only option cause the only things left in all the stores nearby are cake, cookies and candy

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
The more i think about it the more logical it seems to me now that most western governments are probably aligning themselves with each other's strategy to handle this since you can see most are now adopting the same measures. They are fully aware that the eventual contamination rate of most of their populations can no longer be contained and have said as much publicly basically. It is now about slowing this thing down until the vaccine is here while trying to mitigate the death rate as efficiently as possible. Sadly though i also feel like abandoning testing is not the way to handle this, because if you do that, you totally give up what little "control" you had to objectify and observe the rate of the spread and are basically just letting things run their course. Honestly, we dropped the ball on this thing worldwide... and we saw it coming months ahead too.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Concern? His destination has coronavirus, where he is coming from has coronavirus.
Then the answer is obvious; there's no reason to ask the question.

If you don't give a shit that you, and by extension anyone you come into contact with directly or indirectly, could get the virus, then have a blast. If you want to do the socially responsible thing, then stay home. No one here can say "oh well by my calculations there's a 0.458% chance you could get it and there's a 0.074% chance you could give it to someone else". If you live in a exponentially infected country and you're doing anything that has any sort of social interaction at this point you are putting yourself and others at risk, period.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No Canadian should have to worry about paying rent amid COVID-19 pandemic: Trudeau.

www.citynews1130.com

No Canadian should have to worry about paying rent amid COVID-19 pandemic: Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau addressed the nation outside his home on Friday, announcing a series of measures to cope with coronavirus pandemic and providing an update on his own health and that of his family.

Canada's Prime Minister says his government won't let Canadians suffer great financial losses because of the current COVID-19 outbreak, and Ottawa will be introducing a "significant fiscal stimulus package" in the days ahead.

"No one should have to worry about paying rent, buying groceries, or additional child care because of COVID-19. We will help Canadians financially," Justin Trudeau said from the steps of his home in Ottawa, Friday.

This is great news for Canadians.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I have 8 rolls of TP for 4 people, I felt guilty buying it yesterday like people would look at me like an asshole but I was running out anyways

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
any country not going to lockdown and shutting down schools are only prolonging the inevitable and only worsen the damage the virus will do to its population

The UK, Sweden, Germany, and so on - what the hell are you doing?

New York is taking similar anti-closure measures. It's going to bite us in the ass. Hoping Cuomo flip flops over the weekend.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I should clarify. I know people are afraid to eat out at Chinese restaurants and stuff and it's affecting the business negatively in that aspect. I just mean moreso the health side of things.

Cooking food kill this virus (and most others). However the virus still has many factors to get to you and the food after cooking. The store counter, the drink cups, any touch screens, the wrapping paper, the packaging, the money you uses, the buttons on card machine, all that stuff can be an issue. However, if you trusted your store to be hygienic in the past, then still trust them now.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
What's crazy is that you mostly hear about the old world and/or 1st world nations being decimated by the virus. There's barely any reports of damage being done in Africa or South America which is pretty ironic if you ask me.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The more i think about it the more logical it seems to me now that most western governments are probably aligning themselves with each other's strategy to handle this since you can see most are now adopting the same measures. They are fully aware that the eventual contamination rate of most of their populations can no longer be contained and have said as much publicly basically. It is now about slowing this thing down until the vaccine is here while trying to mitigate the death rate as efficiently as possible. Sadly though i also feel like abandoning testing is not the way to handle this, because if you do that, you totally give up what little "control" you had to objectify and observe the rate of the spread and are basically just letting things run their course. Honestly, we dropped the ball on this thing worldwide... and we saw it coming months ahead too.
After the press conference, Danish TV had some commentary on this, because of course they did.

One of them, a medical professional, said that there's only really one number that matters for this plan: How many people are going to need hospital treatment?

If you get the virus, but can stay home and feel mildly awful for a couple of weeks, you're essentially handled from a government point of view. Stay isolated, don't infect others, and you'll handle things on your own. So economically and from a medical point of view the number of mild infections is mostly irrelevant. The important bit is that if you show cold or flu symptoms, you STAY HOME. If it's actually corona or not doesn't really matter unless you need a hospital now. Stay away, get better.

And for what it was worth, he was actually quite optimistic about the whole thing now. We're doing the right things, if we actively try to reduce infections, retool the hospitals to handle more of them, and slow everything down, we'll beat it. Not without deaths, unfortunately, but with as few as possible.

Dec 31, 2017
State of emergency is being declared tomorrow so further details will come then, but one of the measures that are enforced during any such state is limiting the movement of people and vehicles so it isn't looking particularly good.

Yeah I read about that. My flight out of Spain is actually tomorrow back home. I really don't want to get stuck here so I'm wondering if I should somehow skip away tonight (rent a car or something).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Why didn't they give him a gps ankle monitor? Seriously we figured some of this shit out a long time ago. Why were these early cases where officials ask people to self quarantine aren't monitored through these devices? The US response to this has been a complete joke.

And they were warned, the City tried to get a court order to delay the facility because of security concerns. Guess what, it bit Dow in the arse.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
After the press conference, Danish TV had some commentary on this, because of course they did.

One of them, a medical professional, said that there's only really one number that matters for this plan: How many people are going to need hospital treatment?

If you get the virus, but can stay home and feel mildly awful for a couple of weeks, you're essentially handled from a government point of view. Stay isolated, don't infect others, and you'll handle things on your own. So economically and from a medical point of view the number of mild infections is mostly irrelevant. The important bit is that if you show cold or flu symptoms, you STAY HOME. If it's actually corona or not doesn't really matter unless you need a hospital now. Stay away, get better.

And for what it was worth, he was actually quite optimistic about the whole thing now. We're doing the right things, if we actively try to reduce infections, retool the hospitals to handle more of them, and slow everything down, we'll beat it. Not without deaths, unfortunately, but with as few as possible.

You're not wrong, i can kinda see this as the most pragmatic approach now that it's already spreading all over basically. Just a damn shame that we KNOW it could have been prevented from spreading as much with a more drastic approach when there was still time for that.

Anyway, i am worried about the number of people that are actually in between a mild and a severe case if you get what i mean? There may be tons of people that have never felt this sick before and how are they supposed to be able to judge whether this is still mild or actually severe without a doctor assisting them? Somehow i feel like the line here isn't as cut and dry as the government assumes it is or am i way off base here and you actually know right away that you gotta go to the hospital/ that your life is on the line? Also, you can feel like you can handle it at first, then when it gets worse, how do you know whether to just "push through" until you get better or that you're putting your life at stake by not escalating it?