• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Here is my Question. WHy are Washington Schools closing for 6 weeks..but everyone else is doing it for 2 weeks?

Are washington officials hearing different numbers in regards to gestation periods? Just curious.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
My mother wants to go on a cruise with a friend at the end of the month.

Ugh..trying to convince her not to go is going to become a whole thing, I can see it now. She's already complaining about the possibility of having to be tested before she can go back to work after she gets back.

Praying the cruise gets cancelled and the decision is taken out of her hands.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I know I was just asking. Have we heard of any k-12 students getting sick?
K-12 cases are usually extremely mild, and the US is having a difficult time even testing severe cases, so there are going to be close to zero confirmed cases from K-12 even if the virus is absolutely rampant in that population.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After the press conference, Danish TV had some commentary on this, because of course they did.

One of them, a medical professional, said that there's only really one number that matters for this plan: How many people are going to need hospital treatment?

If you get the virus, but can stay home and feel mildly awful for a couple of weeks, you're essentially handled from a government point of view. Stay isolated, don't infect others, and you'll handle things on your own. So economically and from a medical point of view the number of mild infections is mostly irrelevant. The important bit is that if you show cold or flu symptoms, you STAY HOME. If it's actually corona or not doesn't really matter unless you need a hospital now. Stay away, get better.

And for what it was worth, he was actually quite optimistic about the whole thing now. We're doing the right things, if we actively try to reduce infections, retool the hospitals to handle more of them, and slow everything down, we'll beat it. Not without deaths, unfortunately, but with as few as possible.
This is all that matters now. Yet people are still clamoring for more testing as if that's going to somehow help the situation. The only way to stem the spread of this virus is by people limiting their contact with others. But that requires people to take personal responsibility.

The virus is everywhere now. If you have typical symptoms, assume you have it and stay home and avoid contact with others as much possible. This isn't tuberculosis. There is no specific therapy and there are no special isolation precautions. It's just supportive care. Rushing out to get tested just means you're more likely to spread it to someone else. Even if you DON'T have any symptoms, you should take the same precautions so you don't contract it from someone who does have it.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
I know I was just asking. Have we heard of any k-12 students getting sick?
I don't think they exhibit symptoms as visible as adults. It's not about keeping them safe at this point as much as it's keeping their parents and grandparents safe. Things spread very quickly in schools and this would be a great way to reduce community spread.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
They can spread it. That's why schools should be closed.
Well I mean it can spread at home too (they have adults for parents, no?). Plus, if they arent in school... you think they are just gonna sit at home? I mean, I wouldve when I was a teen...

To be clear, I dont disagree with the move, however.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean it can spread at home too (they have adults for parents, no?). Plus, if they arent in school... you think they are just gonna sit at home? I mean, I wouldve when I was a teen...

If their parents are worth a shit, yeah, they'll stay at home.

Fortnite to the rescue

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor is work's closing down/work from home here in Indiana at my company until April 5th, but e-mail hasn't went out yet.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like UK isn't going to do anything serious until shit actually hits the fan. Not learning from Italy (and Spain to some extent) and still going about their day would be a mistake. But that's typical, people think UK is special and as such it'll somehow have different results. Like we have BBC articles like this trying to make it look like UK is a snowflake (sure they give their reasons but that's not a reason to not be careful). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51858987

The whole thing about viral outbreaks and exponential growth is that it doesn't really seem like there will be one...until there is. So why not take precautions?

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017

Right. They can spread it to their adults at home but not between each other at school. It's all about reducing the points of contact to spread the virus and thus the push for "social distancing". Like I tell my family: You will most likely get this, but that doesn't mean you have to now. It's all about reducing your risks.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the post about the homeless guy in Seattle, if this thing gets into homeless communities in the PNW it's going to be awful. There's literal tent cities in Vancouver/Seattle/Portland full of people already in poor health

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I pulled the trigger on ordering a bidet, but that won't be here until next weekend. Guessing Amazon is slightly backordered.

I'm going to go to Costco to try to find TP and a few other things after work, so we will see how that goes.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my Question. WHy are Washington Schools closing for 6 weeks..but everyone else is doing it for 2 weeks?

Are washington officials hearing different numbers in regards to gestation periods? Just curious.

I was shocked by this as well. I think maybe it's because they made the decision later and had a little more information to go on? I mean, are these schools that closed for two weeks really going to reopen when everyone agrees the problem will only be worse then?

Maliq

Oct 26, 2017
Shit escalated here in Estonia real quick. We're at 79 confirmed cases. Last night's number were at 30.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
My mother wants to go on a cruise with a friend at the end of the month.

Ugh..trying to convince her not to go is going to become a whole thing, I can see it now. She's already complaining about the possibility of having to be tested before she can go back to work after she gets back.

Praying the cruise gets cancelled and the decision is taken out of her hands.

Don't worry, the cruise is irrelevant. It is extremely likely that within a week the US will have closed its borders. You should do it now which won't happen because Trump. A week from now he won't have any choice.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Just to shed some lights on italy numbers: Asymptomic people are not counted ( One Bug difference to SK) that's why the lethality rate ist so high.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

Probably because they are the ground zero thus more ahead of other states.

But then, those 2 weeks will end up being extended anyways.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We can not remove all possible vectors, but eliminating the large risks will have a positive effect.
And yes, we all need to be gamers for the time being.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
YOU PURCHASED OILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WTF

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one that feels like Trump's current press conference sounds more like a big business booster meeting? It's ridiculous. You could also do a drinking game every time he follows up saying, "Great company," between their media relations speaking.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great, my parents are now stuck in Vietnam. They rescheduled yesterday for the alleged last flight from Istanbul to their German city on the 17th.
Now some hours ago Turkey announced that they have cancelled all flights to Germany.

Now to figure out what to do. A bit worried as they are old and my father had some heart conditions.
If you believe the official numbers, which you probably can't in a communist country, the chance of getting infected in Vietnam is much lower. But on the other hand, all of my siblings are in Germany and the medical care is just much better here.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Then the answer is obvious; there's no reason to ask the question.

If you don't give a shit that you, and by extension anyone you come into contact with directly or indirectly, could get the virus, then have a blast. If you want to do the socially responsible thing, then stay home. No one here can say "oh well by my calculations there's a 0.458% chance you could get it and there's a 0.074% chance you could give it to someone else". If you live in a exponentially infected country and you're doing anything that has any sort of social interaction at this point you are putting yourself and others at risk, period.
But no more by taking a trip than you are by going to work. The time when travel restrictions could have made a dent was before this thing was carried to the 4 corners of the globe by millions of travellers.
I mean wherever you are going is likely to be shitshow, so why not stay at home, but you likely aren't contributing any real increased risk.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Jebus, my mom who works in a hospital just told me a big box of disinfectant was stolen from the ICU... not as if they need it there...
humans are scum.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Right. They can spread it to their adults at home but not between each other at school. It's all about reducing the points of contact to spread the virus and thus the push for "social distancing". Like I tell my family: You will most likely get this, but that doesn't mean you have to now. It's all about reducing your risks.
The government of the Netherlands is expecting parents to be responsible and keep sick kids at home. This way the chances of it spreading at schools will be much lower. The main worry is that closing the schools will keep essential personel from doing their job and thus putting a strain on hospitals and other public services.

it is a way of doing things but I don't know enough to be able to agree with it or not.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My mom and 8 year old sister in Idaho might have it and we dont even fucking know because there arent test kits and these fucking troglodytes lapping up Trumps bullshit dont even think it's fucking real. She's a teacher (works with hundreds of kids a day because she teaches PE) and the school made her come in even though she's been sick for the past week because they dont fucking think it's serious. And even if she doesnt have the covid19 the fact that they would even fucking risk it for these kids and these families is fucking mind boggling.

Fuck.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it's likely that Miami-Dade County Public Schools will be shut down starting Tuesday. The Archdiocese of Miami just announced to staff and teachers that online schooling starts Tuesday, with Monday used as a day to prepare students for what's to come. I'm assuming they're following MDCPS' lead on that.

There should be a press conference within an hour.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017

Everyone's actually going to be out for six weeks, we're just up front in telling parents that's the level of disruption to expect.

Anyone rolling w/ two weeks right now is just rope-a-doping parents at this point.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
My school just went from a half measure to full on don't bother showing up on campus at least until after spring break. With 19 units of classes I mostly don't enjoy it sounds fine, of course everything else is a disaster.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I wrong in wanting people to stop taking flights? I will be vocal on this forum whenever a user talks about an upcoming trip. It is not acceptable at this point, especially so early in this catastrophe. We need to do our part.

Looks like Canada updated their advisory website with a Global "Avoid Non-Essential Travel" warning

Edit: I read this after I posted the above and after I called a few users out on this board. Happy Canada is backing me. I know I'm right here.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
But no more by taking a trip than you are by going to work. The time when travel restrictions could have made a dent was before this thing was carried to the 4 corners of the globe by millions of travellers.
I mean wherever you are going is likely to be shitshow, so why not stay at home, but you likely aren't contributing any real increased risk.

And if enough people have this attitude this shit will continue to spread exponentially. "I have to do X Y Z anyway so it really doesn't even matter if I do what I want". The point is to minimize as much social interaction as possible. Yeah, most people need to go to work to live so it's understandable some people are going to still do that; that falls outside the reasonable bounds of "as possible". You're not going to convince me that you need a Caribbean vacation to continue your existence.