Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So you approve of the "illegal" wet markets? Again. This isnt just a China problem. Its endemic to SE Asia.

Something has to change.

no one even knows if it was wet markets or if there was someone who went to the market ...or if there was a bat infecting another animal or if there was someone selling lab experiment animals for a good price to make some extra cash.(pangolins are worth a lot) no one even knows where this comes from. i think this will remain a mystery.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I just heard that my sister who lives in LA has tested positive. She's young, but has had health problems her entire life. I'm scared, guys.
She will likely be ok, keep us posted. We're here for you. You'll get through this.
had a nebulizer for my whole youth which i used with an ephedrine mixture. was permanently "amped up" because of it. luckily, the asthma more or less vanished when i was in my mid 20s. but i am concerned to get covid-19.
Make sure you have a rescue inhaler just in case, like Albuterol or pro-air.

Oct 30, 2017
no one even knows if it was wet markets or if there was someone who went to the market ...or if there was a bat infecting another animal or if there was someone selling lab experiment animals for a good price to make some extra cash. no one even knows where this comes from

Michael Osterholm believes it came from Pangolins. Pangolins are illegal sold in the hundreds of thousands in se asian.

Look at the expose Australia did on a market in Thailand.

Hundreds of exoctic pets stacked on each other, just so a few elite rich folk can fine dine.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Michael Osterholm believes it came from Pangolins. Pangolins are illegal sold in the hundreds of thousands in se asian.

Look at the expose Australia did on a market in Thailand.

Hundreds of exoctic pets stacked on each other, just so a few elite rich folk can fine dine.

disgusting stuff...humanity should stay away from wild animals

She will likely be ok, keep us posted. We're here for you. You'll get through this.

Make sure you have a rescue inhaler just in case, like Albuterol or pro-air.

i have a rescue inhaler for the worst case, didn´t need one for years but with the new situation i am concerned

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess my roommates don't care about the stay at home order. 2nd day they've had the same friend over just for fun. It's like don't you think everyone wants to do this but they don't because we're supposed to stay at home.

Oct 30, 2017
Less than 20 days ago I was terrified since we had gotten the first cases in Florida, now we're up to 1,977 cases with multiple in my own county. Everyday more and more get added.

It's hard to see an end to all of this.

1500 here in Ireland. Two weeks ago we had 4 confirmed imported cases, now, tje majority via community transmission.

Great.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Is it disgusting that America gave the world Spanish flu, killed tens of million, then called it Spanish to cover up?

Although I agree with you China current rhetoric about how this originated from the USA is pretty disgusting given the lack of evidence. However I don't think the place that the virus emerge should be blamed unless they weaponized it. Virus didn't recognized border.

Just one small correction. I've seen a few posts mention the Spanish flu originated in the USA, that has not been proven. There are a few theories. One that it originated in the US . Another that it originated in France, in the trenches that were near birds migrating, and even it might have come from Chinese migrant workers to Europe.

your point is still valid btw :)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
as insane as it sounds, this is the first time since my mom died in 2014 that i am glad she isn´t around anymore. she had already suffered a stroke and i know either i would be scared 24/7 or she would die out of pure anxiety.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
The third richest idiot in my country (a literal albatross, got rich by giving "credit" to poor people with ridiculous interest fees) is going all in supporting AMLO's gov lack of action by giving a near-fascist type of speech glorifying working under the threat of coronavirus. He also owns the second biggest TV network here and ALL of the shows in this network are reaching Fox News levels of anti-isolation propaganda. Claiming the lockdown would create widespread social unrest. Literally yesterday one of the news hosts said "expert don't recommend isolation against coronavirus". It is fucking terrying.

The pro-AMLO left does not give a fuck. They are completely absorbed defending every little mistep his government does rather than being auto-critical. AMLO is paving the way for a Mexican Bolsonaro.

We're in the freaking Twilight Zone man. I heard the news this morning and I couldn't believe it. Revolting to say the least.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Most of what is happening now is our governments. Sure, China could have done way better but we had months to figure out a response and we did fucking nothing.

agree with you there, both China and the rest of the world dropped the ball when first dealing with this. At least China stepped up eventually but the damage had already been done

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
agree with you there, both China and the rest of the world dropped the ball when first dealing with this. At least China stepped up eventually but the damage had already been done

it took too long to inform the WHO and the WHO themselves waited too long to confirm that this is transferable from human to human or calling it a pandemic. coupled with the slow response of many western countries it was a recipe for disaster. and now it shows that many countries weren´t/aren´t prepared for such an incident at all.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Just one small correction. I've seen a few posts mention the Spanish flu originated in the USA, that has not been proven. There are a few theories. One that it originated in the US . Another that it originated in France, in the trenches that were near birds migrating, and even it might have come from Chinese migrant workers to Europe.

Yeah the reason the origins are unknown are directly related to why it has the name "Spanish" flu to begin with. The flu was freely reported on in neutral Spain but was kept under wraps in the warring powers to keep morale as high as possible during the last year of the war.

I've also seen people say Swine Flu started in the US but I'm pretty sure it started in Mexico?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I regret not having partied harder, given longer hugs and in general been more social in the months before corona. It's gonna be a looooong wait now.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Riverside County went from 80 cases this morning to now 107. With 8 deaths.

Of course there's more spread around at this point but shit this virus is unrelenting in how fast it spreads.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
had a nebulizer for my whole youth which i used with an ephedrine mixture. was permanently "amped up" because of it. luckily, the asthma more or less vanished when i was in my mid 20s. but i am concerned to get covid-19.

You never really get rid of asthma. It just can be better or worse at times. When I moved up to Seattle my asthma got so good that I felt like I didn't have it. An inhaler would last years, way past expiration date. And then this past December it flared up (like 19 years later) and now I'm on two medications to keep it under control (a long term inhaler and singularity).

Just saying, don't think you don't have it anymore. Just realize it's calm for now but you could have it flare up again later in life. And I'd probably be wary of diseases that asthma can give an extra complication (like flu or covid).

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
www.nytimes.com

Video: ‘People Are Dying’: 72 Hours Inside a N.Y.C. Hospital Battling Coronavirus

An emergency room doctor in Elmhurst, Queens, gives a rare look inside a hospital at the center of the coronavirus pandemic. “We don’t have the tools that we need.”

Crazy video. So many bodies they had to bring in a semi truck.

it is heartbraking...same as the videos from italy where military trucks are driving the dead to the crematory

You never really get rid of asthma. It just can be better or worse at times. When I moved up to Seattle my asthma got so good that I felt like I didn't have it. An inhaler would last years, way past expiration date. And then this past December it flared up (like 19 years later) and now I'm on two medications to keep it under control (a long term inhaler and singularity).

Just saying, don't think you don't have it anymore. Just realize it's calm for now but you could have it flare up again later in life.

yeah, i know...i also have psoriasis flare ups, so my immune system is compromised in general...i am extra cautious these days

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Despite the fact that there is a "Shelter in Place" or "Stay Home" order - traffic is full of cars in Houston.

I have a feeling half of these people in the freeways/highways arent all essential employees....

Guess people will never learn.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
California is starting to surge. We just shot up to 3166 cases. We were under 900 Friday morning. We've been doing a good job getting hospitals ready so far and testing is ramping up. I hope it will be enough.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Despite the fact that there is a "Shelter in Place" or "Stay Home" order - traffic is full of cars in Houston.

I have a feeling half of these people in the freeways/highways arent all essential employees....

Guess people will never learn.

same as here in germany, in my city public transport reduced their frequency to a saturday plan, instead of every 7 minutes the trains are going every 15minutes....which has the effect that more people are stucked together in a wagon than before. doesn´t make sense to me...

Neolith

Oct 25, 2017
"In virology, the definition is slightly different. Superinfection is the process by which a cell that has previously been infected by one virusgets co-infected with a different strain of the virus, or another virus, at a later point in time.[3] Viral superinfections may be resistant to the antiviral drug or drugs that were being used to treat the original infection. Viral superinfections may also be less susceptible to the host's immune response.[4]"

so?
Just to touch on this because I think it's an important issue - antibiotic overuse is a problem no matter what the disease process is. Bacterial superinfection second to viral pneumonia is not uncommon (in fact this is one of the worst complications of influenza) and with a virus such as COVID-19 that has such high hospitalization rates it becomes even worse because hospitals become breeding grounds for incredibly resistant and nasty bugs. To make things worse, prolonged ventilation as we're seeing also leads to deadly bacterial infections.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Just to touch on this because I think it's an important issue - antibiotic overuse is a problem no matter what the disease process is. Bacterial superinfection second to viral pneumonia is not uncommon (in fact this is one of the worst complications of influenza) and with a virus such as COVID-19 that has such high hospitalization rates it becomes even worse because hospitals become breeding grounds for incredibly resistant and nasty bugs. To make things worse, prolonged ventilation as we're seeing also leads to deadly bacterial infections.

didn´t wanted to downplay this. you are right, antibiotic overuse is a problem in general, especially if you not know you are consuming them while eating a a lot of meat. (which often contains antibiotics as well)

Mar 29, 2018

Just saying, don't think you don't have it anymore. Just realize it's calm for now but you could have it flare up again later in life. And I'd probably be wary of diseases that asthma can give an extra complication (like flu or covid).
Something is triggering it, it almost never just happens by itself. Could be a foodstuff, could be pollen, could be dust, could be pet dander... Your body can develop/lose any such reaction

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah the reason the origins are unknown are directly related to why it has the name "Spanish" flu to begin with. The flu was freely reported on in neutral Spain but was kept under wraps in the warring powers to keep morale as high as possible during the last year of the war.

I've also seen people say Swine Flu started in the US but I'm pretty sure it started in Mexico?
It's certainly possible that it started in the US, but it's hardly proven.

It's fairly well documented that one of the first places it blew up was at a military base in Kansas. But it would seem unlikely that the first human infection occurred there as the base was bringing in people from all over the country.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Something is triggering it, it almost never just happens by itself. Could be a foodstuff, could be pollen, could be dust, could be pet dander... Your body can develop/lose any such reaction

I'm pretty sure it's my newest cat (most cats I've had don't trigger my asthma. Before this cat only a pair of cats my grandma had triggered it. But my newest one really triggers my allergies). Point is, it didn't go away. It just stayed calm while nothing triggered it. But I still have asthma even when it's not triggered. It's just that some points in my life it wasn't triggered.

Now what do you bet a disease that attacks your lungs and even makes it hard to breathe for people without asthma triggers my asthma? Which is exactly why people who have chronic respiratory issues like asthma tend to be more badly affected.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'm pretty sure it's my newest cat. Point is, it didn't go away. It just stayed calm while nothing triggered it. But I still have asthma even when it's not triggered. It's just that some points in my life it wasn't triggered.

cats give me severe problems whereas my dog does nothing to my breathing. only cats i can stand are persian cats which is stange as they are very hairy.