• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
essentially, if someone can afford to stay home, stay the fuck home and just don´t care about what others do. try to get some masks for the coming weeks, they won´t be cheaper in a week.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Only 111 new cases in WA today, our lowest in quite some time. No solid testing numbers but the Dept of Health says there's been a "tenfold increase." Things really do seem to be stabilizing here.

Oct 27, 2017
my prediction is that Trump will screw this up beyond belief by not listening to medical professionals and that US cases will exponentially get out of control in April. Will take until late May/early June to settle down. US will become the epicenter and deaths will surpass 1000 daily for a short period. Hope I'm wrong. This country is run by an idiot

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
my prediction is that Trump will screw this up beyond belief by not listening to medical professionals and that US cases will exponentially get out of control in April. Will take until late May/early June to settle down. US will become the epicenter and deaths will surpass 1000 daily for a short period. Hope I'm wrong. This country is run by an idiot

if that happens he wont be reelected. Something this serious being handled so poorly and i dont even think its die hard supporters will vote for him again. If hundreds of thousands die his election chances are over.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting chart of growth by state (put together by an amateur based on publicly reported stats).

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking at the Florida county-level data for reported cases and as I feared Sumter county--the highest median aged county in the country--already has 18 cases with ~125K pop.; compare that with Lake county, which has 3x the population ~350K with 22 reported cases.

Both are in the Orlando metro statistical area, both contain portions of the largest retirement community east of the Mississippi River.

We aren't getting real numbers of infected, but if these numbers continue to rise as they have the brush fire may have already jumped the fire lines and we may quickly see Central Florida hospitals inundated.

ArcGIS Dashboards

ArcGIS Dashboards

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
masks for what? Hospitals and health care workers desperately need those

stay home and don't hog precious supplies

Honest question, would hospitals and health care workers end up purchasing from Amazon? Or the supplier I guess that Amazon uses? I realize masks won't help keep the virus out and is more for keeping your germs in, but is there a correlation to someone buying a pack of them at a Walgreens or Amazon and the doctors shortage?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Washington had 9 deaths yesterday, I hope it goes down

I think this is the more meaningful number than new cases atm, we're testing but there are a lot of tests that are taking forever to come back and get reported.
The hospitals, at least the Puget Sound, are doing OK still. PPE and testing gear still feels like the main bottleneck. I still strongly feel that the orderly shutdown of the area over the last three weeks vs. the crash dive seen everywhere else is making a big difference b/c that's how exponential functions work.

I just don't know how we get back to normalcy even if we do level things out w/o mass testing and some kind of surveillance state measures that people will balk at.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
same goes for this - If you're not treating patients in a health care settings, lay off the masks

if everyone would wear a mask there would be less spreading. and in the end everyone is on top of each other in the supermarket.it is a false narrative that the masks are only for health workers, they are saying this because they don´t have enough masks and want to tell people it is only good for healthworkers. it is good for everyone to wear a mask. if you wear a mask and glasses you are far less likely to get the virus through droplets.

www.theguardian.com

Can a face mask protect me from coronavirus? Covid-19 myths busted

The truth about how you can catch coronavirus, who is most vulnerable and what you can do to avoid infection

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
if that happens he wont be reelected. Something this serious being handled so poorly and i dont even think its die hard supporters will vote for him again. If hundreds of thousands die his election chances are over.

I'm terrified they will. For Republicans, it definitely seems like they err more on the side of "I'd rather be dead than admit I was wrong." I don't know how Trump managed to get them that far gone, but they are.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
My mother in law asked me to drive my sister in law to work in hospital. My wife was furious because

1. her sister cancel her auto insurance to save like $50 a month (she lives at home, no debt and no expense)
2. Her mom does not ask her son who is clearly her favourite and live nearby. Her mom told us ( we didn't ask) she won't be able to look after our kid if daycare close, then 10 minutes later told her son they should withdraw their children from daycare since it is dangerous and she can look after them.
3. I am on immunesuppressor.

I told her if I am going to get it may as well get it now when there is still hospital bed.

This is Ontario Canada by the way.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this is btw a point where western media tries to make idiots out of people. in asia it is normal to wear a mask, why shouldn´t they help normal people from droplets if they help health workers from droplets? makes no sense at all. it is only because officially there are not enough masks. you can also take a scuba goggle or a tshirt, a mask is better than no mask.

www.nytimes.com

Opinion | Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired (Published 2020)

To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
how did it start for you in terms of symptoms?

About 10 days ago I started having shortness of breath. Nothing severe when I was sitting still, but noticable when I was walking or especially when I climbed the stairs in my home. I thought I was just out of shape and didn't think much of it until later. 7 days ago, right about 5 pm, the dry cough and fever spike combo hit me like a goddamn truck. It was so sudden and so strong that I can remember the hour that it started. Since then it has been mostly those three symptoms with the added fatigue and headache, and then the creeping pneumonia.

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
I've been driving myself crazy with anxiety. I ate some jerk chicken today and now I have watery stool out of nowhere. I feel fine otherwise but I'm just extremely nervous right now.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
this is btw a point where western media tries to make idiots out of people. in asia it is normal to wear a mask, why shouldn´t they help normal people from droplets if they help health workers from droplets? makes no sense at all. it is only because officially there are not enough masks. you can also take a scuba goggle or a tshirt, a mask is better than no mask.

www.nytimes.com

To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy.

People believe in Trump so what do you expect? To have common sense?

elty

Oct 31, 2017
About 10 days ago I started having shortness of breath. Nothing severe when I was sitting still, but noticable when I was walking or especially when I climbed the stairs in my home. I thought I was just out of shape and didn't think much of it until later. 7 days ago, right about 5 pm, the dry cough and fever spike combo hit me like a goddamn truck. It was so sudden and so strong that I can remember the hour that it started. Since then it has been mostly those three symptoms with the added fatigue and headache, and then the creeping pneumonia.
I hope you feel better now.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think this is the more meaningful number than new cases atm, we're testing but there are a lot of tests that are taking forever to come back and get reported.
The hospitals, at least the Puget Sound, are doing OK still. PPE and testing gear still feels like the main bottleneck. I still strongly feel that the orderly shutdown of the area over the last three weeks vs. the crash dive seen everywhere else is making a big difference b/c that's how exponential functions work.

I just don't know how we get back to normalcy even if we do level things out w/o mass testing and some kind of surveillance state measures that people will balk at.

This is true, I know Seattle has been a ghost town for 2-3+ weeks now since early March

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
People believe in Trump so what do you expect?

.-) we have no trump in germany and people were believing this narrative. even doctors said this on tv 3 weeks ago but now "ah well, masks are better than no mask"

in short: get a mask. cut your shirts in 7 masks and exchange them everyday/everytime you come from outside. wash them in high proof alcohol like isopropyl or spiritus.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking at the Florida county-level data for reported cases and as I feared Sumter county--the highest median aged county in the country--already has 18 cases with ~125K pop.; compare that with Lake county, which has 3x the population ~350K with 22 reported cases.
You can look at states like New York or California (who are farther along the infection timeline) to help you visualize what is going to happen to Florida.

Your lack of containment measures will in all likelihood lead to a worse outcome than these early states.

I can draw the conclusion from that chart that Louisiana is straight up fucked.
Louisiana and Georgia are really bad.

And they're really behind on testing. It's only the tip of the iceberg for them.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
.-) we have no trump in germany and people were believing this narrative. even doctors said this on tv 3 weeks ago but now "ah well, masks are better than no mask"
Oh ok....

Well before SARS no one in Asia really use mask. After SARS though it become expected when you are at risk. To them a pandemic is so distant that they (including most government) simply can't see it coming.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

www.nytimes.com

There's a reason why that article is marked as "opinion" and not as a neutral report. Also that article is kinda stupid.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
There's a reason why that article is marked as "opinion" and not as a neutral fact-based report.

it is a fact that when everyone wears a mask there is less spreading. it is a government narrative because no country has enough masks for their health workers and they are afraid of private people buying masks like toilet paper.

and to make it complete, i will carry an unused mask for my carer with me if i myself have to go to the hospital.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
it is a fact that when everyone wears a mask there is less spreading.
There's nothing wrong with wearing a mask if you're already sick or feel like you might be.
Hoarding the masks for no real reason so health workers have none is stupid tho.

The one argument for wearing a mask when you're healthy is the placebo effect which makes you more aware of the situation and causing you to (potentially) touch your face less. But wearing a mask (while you're healthy) on the other hand does actually increase your chances of getting sick.

Calling it a "government narrative" sounds tinfoil hat'ish.

Last edited:

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the reply, hope you feel better soon. I am getting scared because i started to have headaches today, not sure if its the stress of whats going on or the virus, just hoping it goes away tomorrow and its nothing.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
There's a reason why that article is marked as "opinion" and not as a neutral report. Also that article is kinda stupid.
Physical barrier is a very effective method to prevent infection. Mask is a type of barrier that cover a good portion of your vulnerable area. Of course if someone cough into your ear then you are still screwed, but there is a huge difference between useless and some protection.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

www.nytimes.com

people here are making their own masks even donating those in the frontlines

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
There's nothing wrong with wearing a mask if you're already sick or feel like you might be.
Hoarding the masks for no real reason so health workers have none is stupid tho.

The one argument for wearing a mask when you're healthy is the placebo effect which makes you more aware of the situation and causing you to (potentially) touch your face less.

i mean i didn´t bought hundreds of masks. only enough so that we can go get some groceries in the coming weeks.

people here are making their own masks even donating those in the frontlines

national clothing factories could/should have already switched from making other stuff to making masks. same as distilleries can switch to making disinfection solutions

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they weren't out of stock even in hospitals I would absolutely buy and use a lot of masks. I'm already using makeshift ones when I have to go out, but proper ones would be better. I stopped giving a shit about westerners saying they don't work some time ago.

Shame that the stock isn't there for the hospitals and doctors who need it first, hopefully it will get better in the coming months, but I won't hold my breath.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
If they weren't out of stock even in hospitals I would absolutely buy and use a lot of masks. I'm already using makeshift ones when I have to go out, but proper ones would be better. I stopped giving a shit about westerners saying they don't work some time ago.

Shame that the stock isn't there for the hospitals and doctors who need it first, hopefully it will get better in the coming months, but I won't hold my breath.

here in germany there is a province called Heinsberg who got hit the hardest in the beginning, the mayor asked and asked the government for support. in the end he asked china yesterday if they could provide masks and gloves and stuff. china will happily help in these times of need.

Thanks to globalization most high volume clothing factories are now in developing country.

federalism ftw

elty

Oct 31, 2017
here in germany there was a province called Heinsberg who got hit the hardest in the beginning, the mayor asked and asked the government for support. in the end he asked china yesterday if they could provide masks and gloves and stuff.
So what does the federal government do? I don't believe they did nothing. Even Trump send 200 ventilators to New York.

Oct 27, 2017
That chart comparing States is fantastic! And it shows where Italy was when it locked down.

I can draw the conclusion from that chart that Louisiana is straight up fucked.

I have a family member in Louisiana that works in a large retail store. His number 2 tested positive and js out, but my family member spent hours and hours with this person prior to the test.

He is still working and there is no way he can take off without testing positive himself. Idk, it seems these retail workers are going to get hit hard.