• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Just watched the Trump press conference. What a train wreck. Holy crap especially the part with the questions at the end.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
Does it have any merit to stop most early-stage (no serious symptoms) testing, and divert all manpower, infrastructure and equipment to those that need care? Or - only do early-stage testing to those that have an essential position and cannot self-quarantine?
The WHO said test, test, test. If you have the capacity to run 20k tests a day you should do that many tests a day.
There should be priorities, sure, but more tests are always better.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So apparently my father could have had Cornovirus since February as he had all of the respiratory symptoms except Fever oddly enough and he had to go to the hospital at the middle of the night for breathing trouble. They could never really pin out what was wrong with him at the time.

The fact I had been around him a lot around that time makes me nervous and want to test myself ASAP even if I haven't shown any symptoms.
That was exactly what I had. They didn't identify it in me either (and my breathing still isn't right).

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
French situation for today:

12612 active cases + 1617 in 24H
5226 are hospitalized + 765 in 24H
1297 are in intensive care/breathing assistance + 175 in 24H
450 dead + 78 in 24H (87% over 70yo)

hope i didn't make a mistake (i am a poor note taker)

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm surprised Airlines are still forcing people to call in and wait on hold for hours in order to cancel a flight.

They should set up a website/process, similar to checking in, to look up your flight and cancel it on your own.

We logged into American, cancelled the flight and received the notice that we have a $2000 credit. It took 2 minutes. Not sure why people are calling, it says on their website that you will get a credit. Maybe other airlines aren't doing this but American seems to be handling it well.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw that the EU stopped the stability and growth pact. We needed a life threating virus to remove this stupid rule.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some of ya need to chill. Even if no one did anything but sit on their hands while this spread it still wouldn't kill most people. Relax.

(and no I'm not saying it wouldn't kill a lot of people but kill all of us it would not).

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh just read an article on Vice that scares me. Doctors are talking about how young patients are getting better but then they get heart inflammation and eventually heart failure.

My mom and dad are in Florida on vacation and were going to drive back up but then this whole thing started and they got a train to take them back on Monday. Should be home Tuesday. They are staying with someone who has family in North Florida and they have it and are dying from the disease. Hope my parents make it back up here safe. (NJ).

Please link that article.

www.vice.com

‘This Is Our Chernobyl’: New York City’s Doctors and Nurses Are Terrified

Health care professionals fear they're being put at risk and set up for failure during one of the most critical fights in the city’s history.

Thanks!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This article is a must read:

LARRY BRILLIANT SAYS he doesn't have a crystal ball. But 14 years ago, Brilliant, the epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox, spoke to a TED audience and described what the next pandemic would look like. At the time, it sounded almost too horrible to take seriously. "A billion people would get sick," he said. "As many as 165 million people would die. There would be a global recession and depression, and the cost to our economy of $1 to $3 trillion would be far worse for everyone than merely 100 million people dying, because so many more people would lose their jobs and their health care benefits, that the consequences are almost unthinkable."

We are being asked to do things, certainly, that never happened in my lifetime—stay in the house, stay 6 feet away from other people, don't go to group gatherings. Are we getting the right advice?

Well, as you reach me, I'm pretending that I'm in a meditation retreat, but I'm actually being semi-quarantined in Marin County. Yes, this is very good advice. But did we get good advice from the president of the United States for the first 12 weeks? No. All we got were lies. Saying it's fake, by saying this is a Democratic hoax. There are still people today who believe that, to their detriment. Speaking as a public health person, this is the most irresponsible act of an elected official that I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. But what you're hearing now [to self-isolate, close schools, cancel events] is right. Is it going to protect us completely? Is it going to make the world safe forever? No. It's a great thing because we want to spread out the disease over time.

By slowing it down or flattening it, we're not going to decrease the total number of cases, we're going to postpone many cases, until we get a vaccine—which we will, because there's nothing in the virology that makes me frightened that we won't get a vaccine in 12 to 18 months. Eventually, we will get to the epidemiologist gold ring.

That means, A, a large enough quantity of us have caught the disease and become immune. And B, we have a vaccine. The combination of A plus B is enough to create herd immunity, which is around 70 or 80 percent.

I hold out hope that we get an antiviral for Covid-19 that is curative, but in addition is prophylactic. It's certainly unproven and it's certainly controversial, and certainly a lot of people are not going to agree with me. But I offer as evidence two papers in 2005, one in Nature and one in Science. They both did mathematical modeling with influenza, to see whether saturation with just Tamiflu of an area around a case of influenza could stop the outbreak. And in both cases, it worked. I also offer as evidence the fact that at one point we thought HIV/AIDS was incurable and a death sentence. Then, some wonderful scientists discovered antiviral drugs, and we've learned that some of those drugs can be given prior to exposure and prevent the disease. Because of the intense interest in getting [Covid-19] conquered, we will put the scientific clout and money and resources behind finding antivirals that have prophylactic or preventive characteristics that can be used in addition to [vaccines].

www.wired.com

The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming

Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, who warned of pandemic in 2006, says we can beat the novel coronavirus—but first, we need lots more testing.

Naru

May 11, 2019
www.vice.com

Health care professionals fear they're being put at risk and set up for failure during one of the most critical fights in the city’s history.
Well fuck...

Already, the doctor has witnessed young men experience cardiovascular complications from the virus, he said. "There are cases where the patient looks like they're recovering from the lung part of the disease. They're getting better and then suddenly they have severe heart failure. Within a day or two they go into cardiac arrest and die." He said it's possible this is the result of viral myocarditis—inflammation of the heart caused by a viral infection—but with such a new virus, it's difficult to know for sure.

"I keep telling myself it's a small number of cases," he said. "But yes, I'm scared."

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.vice.com

Everyone keeps focusing on insurance companies, and for sure, they are fucking awful, but America also needs to take a long hard look at how our hospitals operates.
We're putting profits over lives in every step of the way.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Information about age of dead people in Italy:
9Dlg0TW.png

Legend of 1st chart:
Green= positive
Red = dead

Legend of 2nd chard:
Red = women
Blue = men
Green = total

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
We logged into American, cancelled the flight and received the notice that we have a $2000 credit. It took 2 minutes. Not sure why people are calling, it says on their website that you will get a credit. Maybe other airlines aren't doing this but American seems to be handling it well.
Mine's with American too!
My flight (to NYC) isn't until April 11 - am I able to cancel for credit? Will it have to be credit toward anther flight with American, or will they credit my card?

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Mine's with American too!
My flight (to NYC) isn't until April 11 - am I able to cancel for credit? Will it have to be credit toward anther flight with American, or will they credit my card?

I can't say for sure but click Cancel and it should say on the screen that you will get a credit. Our flight was next week, maybe there is a window of when they allow it.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
French situation for today:

12612 active cases + 1617 in 24H
5226 are hospitalized + 765 in 24H
1297 are in intensive care/breathing assistance + 175 in 24H
450 dead + 78 in 24H (87% over 70yo)

hope i didn't make a mistake (i am a poor note taker)

Is there any information on how many tests France does per day or week right now?

I'm kind of surprised at their "low" new cases, compared to e.g. Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland etc. etc.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
That was exactly what I had. They didn't identify it in me either (and my breathing still isn't right).
Ugh. I have this. I was coughing really hard about a month ago so over time most of the symptoms have gone except my breathing is still a bit labored and when I go a while without sleep, I start coughing. If I had it, I can't imagine I still have it over a month later, but even if so I have no way of getting tested. If you find out what you have, let us know.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Governer Evers in Wisconsin just said he doesn't see shelter in place or closure of non-essential businesses as something in the their plans.

That's...not a great idea. He said he thinks washing hands and social distancing is working for us. (It's not)

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got an oil change earlier in East TN. The tech signing me in said the last three days saw more cars than they usually get in a month. When I left the line was about 12 cars deep across three stations. He gave me every coupon/discount he could so I saved about $40 total for the change plus new wiper blades and air filter. Good guy.

My apartment complex's manager just sent an email saying the office is shutting down tonight for the foreseeable future and come by asap if you need to put money on laundry cards.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin and Illinois both with 3 deaths.

Wisconsin has 206 cases

Illinois has 422 cases

EDIT: This was yesterday's Illinois number. The site said it was updated but clearly not the new numbers

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm at the park right now getting some fresh air and the place is JAMMED. I guess when that's about all anyone is allowed to do in the lockdown, it is to be expected.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
My sister's college graduation was canceled. She is pretty upset of course. It's crazy to think that when she left for spring break, that would be the last time she would see her class rooms and many of her college acquaintances ever again.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Madrid's cases and deaths are growing faster than Lombardia's. Terrible!

meanwhile Bolsonaro closes the borders of the country to everyone that is not Brazilian... unless you are American. Because he cant stop licking Trump's balls.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Has hotter weather proven to be a hindrance to the spread of the virus?

I ask because it just hit 80 here in Georgia so hopefully that stops the spread.

Oct 25, 2017
My sister's college graduation was canceled. She is pretty upset of course. It's crazy to think that when she left for spring break, that would be the last time she would see her class rooms and many of her college acquaintances ever again.
Man, that really really sucks. High school seniors are probably dealing with the same thing, no prom, graduation, etc.

Deleted member 8683

User requested account closure
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Other countries are providing special care for essential jobs, they make sure that the kids are cared for.

What happens in sweden when the kid gets sick and the parent with an essential job has to stay home regardless and has no special plan in place because the government didn't take precautions.
What happens when half of the teachers are sick at home and the school has to close?
What happens when the essential worker gets sick because he got infected by his kid who was infected at school?
What happens when more and more people take their kids out of school? Does Sweden have a mandatory school attendance law like Germany, where it is a "crime" (don't know the correct term) to take you kid out of school a long time without a reason (basically only sickness). Will the Swedish government prosecute parents who take their kids out of school because it is more dangerous inside the school?
Yes, of course we can handle those situations because they are part of how our normal society functions, and yours as well I'd bet. If an essential worker or his/her child gets sick, you reassign their work or call in a temp if available and the work is absolutely critical, or you wait until they get back and they reschedule the work. Those situations are handled on a per-case basis according to national or local guidelines, and are somewhat scalable, and very manageable as it seems right now. This week the school I work at has had tons of children and teachers out in their lower grades, and the staff are handling it routinely by calling in temps, handling homework, rescheduling work, etc.

I work in Adults Education myself though, so we have all our students doing distance-learning and that's no problem since all our students are responsible for their own studies and are expected to follow our guidelines and communicate with their teachers.

Regarding consequences I only have to assume that parents who are keeping their children out of school for no reason for a long time will face some kind of repercussion as per social guidelines; retracted child benefits or a notification of concern maybe. So far it hasn't really been a long time so I don't know if those options would be applicable to anyone right now.

We're doing a ton of other stuff, and we're following all recommendations, and if there is a need, we'll close the elementary schools and pre-schools as well, but at this stage our experts say that the effect of that would be negligible. Right now it isn't more dangerous to be in school.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
My sisters test came in negative! I am relieved but at the same time ... her vacation is canceled and she has to get back to work (psychiatric walk-in clinic) on monday. She thinks it's only a matter of time until she'll catch it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaannd there goes my anxiety.

Just as a counter point from a doctor that isn't anonymous:

Cardiologist's Insights From Treating COVID-19 Patients in China

Early warnings suggested myocarditis might be one result from COVID-19, but Ge saw "no signs of direct virus infiltration of the myocardium" in an electron microscope specimen he reviewed from Wuhan. Ge did see an elevation of troponin in patients with the virus, indicating myocardial injury, but he said this does not necessarily mean myocarditis.

Junbo Ge, MD, FACC, governor of ACC's China chapter and president of the Chinese Cardiovascular Association

At best/worst the science is still up in the air on this and most of us here aren't doctors. We know the death rates from a fairly large population sample which likely includes heart conditions if there were any. It's important to keep a handle on the facts and everything in perspective without getting too anxious.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Governer Evers in Wisconsin just said he doesn't see shelter in place or closure of non-essential businesses as something in the their plans.

That's...not a great idea. He said he thinks washing hands and social distancing is working for us. (It's not)
Very strange. I feel like we have to get there at some point. And with the lack of testing we can't wait for the numbers at this point. Maybe he's just afraid to say it's coming.