• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I show corona symptoms (dry cough, headache, pain in body and a bit harder to breath). It's very, very mild. Usually I would ignore it, but just to be safe. I don't want to risk infecting others. It could be a normal infection or whstever.. I don't feel sick really.
There are a lot of corona infections in this city. I think I'll avoid people the next few days..

good idea, and take care of yourself and others

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I show corona symptoms (dry cough, headache, pain in body and a bit harder to breath). It's very, very mild. Usually I would ignore it, but just to be safe. I don't want to risk infecting others. It could be a normal infection or whstever.. I don't feel sick really.
There are a lot of corona infections in this city. I think I'll avoid people the next few days..

Do you have any fever? I felt completely the same until two days ago.. is over now. Had it for little bit more than a week. Even though it wasn't bad, it was super uncomfortable.

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I know this thread is not doing me any good for my mental health but I just can't stop. I don't know why but I keep refreshing it hoping to see some good news or a glimmer of hope at least. My wife got laid-off this week so right now i'm the only source of income for us and our two children. I'm the only one who ventures out the house to go to work or to get groceries and I'm terrified of catching it on the street and unknowingly transmitting it to her since she has asthma.
Anyways, sorry Era, I know this is not the place. I'm just venting. I needed to get this off my chest.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
We do test more but as I said earlier about my case, in Germany it's all linked to "having a direct contact to somebody who was infected or was in the hotspot regions within the last two weeks" as well. Symptoms alone are not enough of a reason to get tested either. Though we have our family doctors who will probably order a test in case they think it's the right thing to do.

In the end the doctor can still decide to do a test if they think it's warranted.
Also the requirements to be tested seem to be fine in my opinion.
It's either contact to a confirmed case or being in a region that is a hotspot (which is increasing daily).
Also, my brother is getting tested and he had no contact to a confirmed case, but contact to a person who was in a region at risk. He has no symptoms right now.
So the testing requirements are not as strict anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much more my mental health can take with this virus, I keep thinking about if life is ever going to return back to normal and all the countries that got hit the worst.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an english version?
No. But thats what he said and he is one of the best German scientists in this field. He was honoured with the Federal German Order of Merit "Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande" for his SARS research in 2005.
The test is "free" since 28 Jan.
The test is only free if ordered by a doctor. There are many cases who do not get tested despite doctors saying yes it is corona.

*Contact with infected person/returning from risky area/contact to somebody who returned from a risky area
*Symptoms must be present
*Risk group

If one part is not true you gotta pay 300 Euro for privat testing and I am not even sure if that's even still possible.

My niece's 180 children kindergarten had 1 infected confirmed case. Now 1 week later the parents are told By Gesundheitsamt to go in self-imposed quarantine (retrospectively, however that is supposed to work). Many children show symptoms, some for a week but tests were denied.

We have a healthcare system. Good, stable and strong are not words I'd use to describe it as someone with chronic diseases and many experience.

We will see a significant rise in monthly payments, especially But not only if this should follow up with long term damage to patients health.

Germany has experts, many and good ones. That's something I grant them.
You are absolutely right with everything you wrote, but no system is perfect. In comparison to other health care systems, the German health care system is one of the best. And it shows atm. Lets see how long it will last.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I know this thread is not doing me any good for my mental health but I just can't stop. I don't know why but I keep refreshing it hoping to see some good news or a glimmer of hope at least. My wife got laid-off this week so right now i'm the only source of income for us and our two children. I'm the only one who ventures out the house to go to work or to get groceries and I'm terrified of catching it on the street and unknowingly transmitting it to her since she has asthma.
Anyways, sorry Era, I know this is not the place. I'm just venting. I needed to get this off my chest.

practice social distancing going out, and when coming home, disinfect yourself and do not bring your outside clothes inside the house etc.

i am sure there is a procedure like this out there

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I own a rentail here in Brazil, and im closing starting monday

i know for a fact that the brazilian government is hiding the numbers of infected and death (my wife if a doctor, and she is in the front line, she isn't even sleeping at home)
Im really scared because it seems that is out of control

keku

Apr 23, 2019
Since yesterday I feel back to normal. Dry cough is gone.. no more feverish feeling (altho I tracked my body temp and it was 35-35.8 Celsius). And more noticeable, I'm not feeling exhausted all of the sudden

i can't help but wonder. One of my co workers went to Italy at the beginning of March for a conference and my ex gf whom I'm friends with went to Madrid before the lockdown and we saw each other

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
looks like our governor will issue an EO tomorrow banning students and seniors from going out unless it is absolutely necessary, I'm guessing less than 18 and more than 65 are banned

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Spanish numbers:
-24926 infected (+4946)
-1326 dead (+324)
-2125 recovered (+540)

Absolutely terrible, we're gonna surpass Italy and maybe even China in a matter of days.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

So I definitely do as well. Additionally I feel lethargic as hell. I think I'll monitor my symptoms today. I only have enough food for today, hopefully I can get a friend to shop for me and leave it at my door.

Good luck.

Spanish numbers: -24926 infected (+4946) -1326 dead (+324) -2125 recovered (+540) Absolutely terrible, we're gonna surpass Italy and maybe even China in a matter of days.
Jesus Christ. That's awful.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
To read good news, it's better to check Reddit for that
old.reddit.com

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) • r/Coronavirus

In December 2019, a novel coronavirus strain (SARS-CoV-2) emerged in the city of Wuhan, China. This subreddit seeks to monitor the spread of the...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Still find this a very effective visual when discussing the impact to date. Alongside Kurzgesagt's video they've been useful in getting people to take this seriously.

screenshot2020-03-21ac4jmy.png

screenshot2020-03-21awwj37.png

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Those US trajectories, our health care system is going be pushed beyond anything we've ever had in the modern era.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Praying it's not as it's still pretty tame where I'm from(Western Australia) and not been in contact with any known cases etc etc but had an upset stomach all day today, bathrooms visits have settled it seems but also feeling quite achey and feverish. Slight headache and nauseous on and off. Only the odd cough, maybe 5 throughout the entire day(it's 8pm now) so hoping that doesn't get worse and I've just caught a bug or something.

don't even know who to ring to talk about whether need to get checked. Can't seem to find any information on the process here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The only good news from the Spanish results is that it's starting to stagnate in Madrid, although unfortunately it's spreading everywhere else. And this might be because of all the people that tried to leave Madrid before the lockdown.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
www.youtube.com

Coronavirus – unnötiger Alarm bei COVID-19? | Harald Lesch

In den vergangenen Tagen zieht eine erstaunliche Nachricht durch die sozialen Netzwerke: Ein ehemaliger Lungenarzt und früherer Bundestagsabgeordneter behaup...
Great video in german, giving very good stats and maths and also debunks the "it is all a panic"
For example people say that the death rate doesn't make it into statistics because it is so low. He then says that in Italy normally 2000 people/day die (statistically), so the increase currently is >20% deaths/day!!
He then does some math when the german health system will be overwhelmed, assuming these things:
5% of patients need ICU with breathing assistance
28k ICU beds in Germany, half of them could be "freed", so 14k capacity
~1 week of breathin assistance needed
That means ~2000 NEW people per DAY could come into ICU
that means Germany can handle up to 40.000 new infections per day before the health system collapses. If germany increases on a 33% rate, these 40.000 people/day will be reached on 28th March. So there is a need to act immediately!

The ICU capacity is getting increased, with 10.000 new ICU breathing assistance units already being ordered and rolled out throughout the year!

Naru

May 11, 2019
There are actually people (they call them "leading experts") in Germany actively lobbying against curfews. "State wide curfews are epidemiology not needed, are economical disastrous and a social catastrophe." Curfews had little impact on the spread of the virus and would actually hurt peoples health more since they would increase heart failure and strokes because "people can not deal with it". They also fear an increase in domestic violence.

Source: https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/new...phe-eine-soziale-katastrophe_id_11797465.html

I mean those are maybe all valid points to keep in mind but what does it say about us as a society when we can not adapt to a situation like this, not even for a little while?

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
The only good news from the Spanish results is that it's starting to stagnate in Madrid, although unfortunately it's spreading everywhere else. And this might be because of all the people that tried to leave Madrid before the lockdown.

My sister is a doctor in Spain, and they are sending a bunch of doctors to Madrid to help out. It's gonna get a lot worse there apparently.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There are actually people (they call them "leading experts") in Germany actively lobbying against curfews. "State wide curfews are epidemiology not needed, are economical disastrous and a social catastrophe." Curfews had little impact on the spread of the virus and would actually hurt peoples health more since they would increase heart failure and strokes because "people can not deal with it". They also fear an increase in domestic violence.

Source: https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/new...phe-eine-soziale-katastrophe_id_11797465.html

I mean those are maybe all valid points to keep in mind but what does it say about us as a society when we can not adapt to a situation like this, not even for a little while?

Here in Texas people were freaking out not even 48 hours later about essentially not being able to go out to drink and party. The FIRST thing on their minds once this got out of control was stocking up on alcohol. Well, that and toilet paper apparently.

American priorities and dependencies are totally fucked.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
holy crap if true, though that would explain china's post testing showing so manny people with antibodys, but no symptoms.

Here's the source for those interested.

"The size of the COVID-19 reproduction number documented in the literature is relatively small. Our estimates indicate that R0= 26.5, in the case that the asymptomatic sub-population is accounted for. In this scenario, the peak of symptomatic infections is reached in 36 days with approximately 9.5% of the entire population showing symptoms."

Naru

May 11, 2019
www.youtube.com

Coronavirus – unnötiger Alarm bei COVID-19? | Harald Lesch

In den vergangenen Tagen zieht eine erstaunliche Nachricht durch die sozialen Netzwerke: Ein ehemaliger Lungenarzt und früherer Bundestagsabgeordneter behaup...
This is a very good video for people that still don't get it. Most just don't understand what an exponential function is even though everyone should know how they explain it to children... if you always double the water in the pool it only needs to be half full to get it to 100% in the next step.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really get it. If you take the entire population and force them to go out during certain hours if they want anything, doesn't that increase the number of people in a given public area at once? Curfews don't seem particularly effective, but I'm not sure what it's trying to stop. We have a curfew here, but they already said they won't stop anyone on the road and there are a number of valid reasons to be out past curfew. It doesn't seem like curfews really stop anything it is supposed to stop.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

1280 infected cases
+260 since yesterday.
12 total deaths
+ 6 since yesterday.

156 people are in Hospital care.
35 are in the ICU.

^^
These two numbers were just confirmed by the Health Minister.

Last edited:

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
wtf is going on in spain?
They said that they were gonna ramp up the testing in a few days, but we don't know if this is the reason because there wasn't a press conference today, only the data released by the autonomies.
what the hell at the jump today.

Honestly after reading some resources these numbers are not even scary by themselves. What is scary is that the reported case numbers is a fraction of the reality. Both because of lack of widespread testing as well as the number of true new cases can only be discovered in hindsight. The real number of cases each day in Spain and Italy has definitely been in the tens of thousands already for a while now.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
In the end the doctor can still decide to do a test if they think it's warranted.
Also the requirements to be tested seem to be fine in my opinion.
It's either contact to a confirmed case or being in a region that is a hotspot (which is increasing daily).
Also, my brother is getting tested and he had no contact to a confirmed case, but contact to a person who was in a region at risk. He has no symptoms right now.
So the testing requirements are not as strict anymore.

Honestly I think the German criteria is still pretty strict because they can't handle more testing.

Yeah, I also made the same point to my doctor like your brother, but he said after two weeks it's not very likely the virus can still be spread. Well, I'll just see how the symptoms develop. He says I shall call him right away if I get fever. Thing is, I had no fever in ten years or so. I'll try to stay calm but take action once I feel much worse. Still just having pain when breathing and a headache though I can feel a slightly stuffed nose, too. No fever, no coughing. It's been better since getting up and I just had two more pain spikes so far today. The morning was rough though. I also have a mum who just made it through lung cancer so I might want to get back to my doctor to get tested for her sake also. Not visiting her these days but it'd be important to know for the future, too.

Last edited:

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. But we don't have a thermometer and they are all sold out.

Ok.. same here. Didn't have any fever. So.. dunno. Will get better though, sounds like the same I had :x
If this was Corona I'd have healed by now. Would be cool too.

Still find this a very effective visual when discussing the impact to date. Alongside Kurzgesagt's video they've been useful in getting people to take this seriously.

screenshot2020-03-21ac4jmy.png

screenshot2020-03-21awwj37.png

Could you give me the link where you find those graphs? <_< would be really cool!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Could you give me the link where you find those graphs? <_< would be really cool!
Of course, see below. They're updated daily.
If it's paywalled try searching Google for "financial times coronavirus tracked" and clicking the direct link to the FT article.
www.ft.com

Coronavirus tracker: the latest figures as countries fight the Covid-19 resurgence | Free to read

The FT analyses the scale of outbreaks and tracks the vaccine rollouts around the world

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So after having a mild cough this past week and sporadic moments of shortness of breath, I woke up today feeling chest and back pains, and more shortness of breath. My breath faults when I speak, as if I had just done physical activities, even though I didn't. The pains are mild, the kind you get in a flu, except I'm pretty sure I don't have a flu because I always get sneezing, stuffy nose and sore throat during those. No fever so far.

I'm feeling pretty well, everything is very mild, the worst thing is the fear of it getting worse. If I'm infected, I'm probably are week two right now, so I guess one or two weeks more and I'm good, just hope I pull through it swiftly.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Question how do teachers and School staff get affected by this in the US and are they given options?
Affected by what? Options for what? For example, in Wisconsin, based on my personal experience, teachers are working either in the school building or remotely providing virtual(online) instruction. So, at least in Wisconsin, teachers are working and getting paid (public school at the very least).

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I have a real mild cough and shortness of breath, only a slight fever. My son also has a fever. I have been extremely diligent in social distancing and washing my hands, I legit could not have done a better job. It's very frustrating.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a real mild cough and shortness of breath, only a slight fever. My son also has a fever. I have been extremely diligent in social distancing and washing my hands, I legit could not have done a better job. It's very frustrating.
At this point seems like we will all get it. Best you can do is stay home, ride it out and not spread to anyone else.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Question how do teachers and School staff get affected by this in the US and are they given options?

I'm a teacher. My district is transitioning to distance learning. Starting Monday, we'll have a week of online training and course prep. Students are expected to begin online classes with us the following week.

I have no idea what other non-instructional staff are going to do.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017