Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

GFE 3.12 is up!

Source

NVIDIA Freestyle: Customize Your Game's Appearance In Real-Time

Today, we're unveiling NVIDIA Freestyle, a way for you to personally customize a game's appearance through the application of real-time post-processing filters. With Freestyle's options you can be more creative with your games, adding a retro war-themed filter for your favorite FPS, for example, or enhancing color and contrast to make a game look more photorealistic. Or maybe you're color-blind, like me, and want to make a style that makes it easier to differentiate between colors and see key features.

You can even use night mode, which reduces the amount of blue light emitted, so you can get to sleep easier after a night of gaming.

All of Freestyle's functions are easily applied through an in-game overlay, accessed by pressing "Alt+F3" in supported titles. There are 15 available filters, 38 different settings, and many possible combinations, enabling you to create a truly unique look for your gameplay with just a few clicks.

How to use NVIDIA Freestyle to enhance and customize your gameplay:
  1. Install the latest GeForce Experience (GFE 3.12 or above) and download the latest Game Ready driver (390.65 or above).
  2. Opt-in to the Freestyle beta in GeForce Experience through "Settings" > "General", and check "Enable Experimental Features".

3. Hit "Alt+Z" for the in-game overlay and click "Game Filter", or access Freestyle directly by pressing "Alt+F3".

With the Game Filter Freestyle overlay loaded, click on the "+" icon to add a new filter to your game, and again to stack more filters. You can save these combinations in any of the 3 provided slots that are assigned per game, and can cycle through these slots using a hotkey, mid-game, without re-opening the overlay. To assign custom keyboard shortcuts for these actions, press "Alt+Z" and navigate to "Settings" > "Keyboard Shortcuts."

Some of our favorite combinations are "war cinema," which adds a Vignette filter, reduces the vibrance using the Color filter, and decreases Gamma using Contrast. Another favorite is "Eagle Eye," which increases vibrance through Color filter while sharpening the image using Details filter. With a full suite of powerful filters, you can customize your game to your liking.

Four different filter combinations we created and applied to ARK: Survival Evolved. Make your own by pressing Alt+F3 during gameplay

Let us know what you think of Freestyle on Facebook and Twitter, and be sure to share your best filter combinations with others through Reddit, social media, and forums.

0-9
300 Ying Xiong (300 Heroes)

7 Days to Die

A
Archeage

ARK: Survival Evolved

Assassin's Creed

Assassin's Creed II

Assassin's Creed Origins

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Assassin's Creed: Rogue

Assassin's Creed: Unity

B
Battlefield 3

Black Desert

Borderlands 2

C
Call of Duty Online

Call of Duty: WWII

Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Cities: Skylines

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Counter-Strike: Source

CrossFire: Rival Factions

Crossout

Cuphead

D
Dark and Light

Dark Souls II

Dark Souls III

Dead by Daylight

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

Diablo III

Dishonored

DNF

Don't Starve

Dota 2

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Dream Three Kingdoms 2

Dying Light

E
Euro truck simulator 2

Europa Universalis IV

F
Faith of Danschant (神舞幻想)

Fallout 4

Far Cry 4

FIFA 17

FIFA Online 3

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

For Honor

G
Grand Theft Auto V

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Grim Dawn

Guild Wars 2

H
H1Z1: King of the Kill

Half-Life 2

Hearthstone

Hearts of Iron IV

Hellblade:Senua's Sacrifice

I
Insurgency

J
JX Online 3 (劍俠情緣3)

K
Killing Floor 2

L
Left 4 Dead 2

M
Mad Max

Mafia III

MapleStory

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Moonlight Blade

N
NBA2K Online

Need for Speed Online

Need for Speed: Payback

P
Paladins®

Payday 2

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Pro Evolution Soccer 2018

Q
Qian Nv You Hun (倩女幽魂)

QQ Dance

QQ Dance 2 (QQ炫舞2)

QQ Speed

R
Rocket League

Rust

S
Sid Meier's Civilization V

Smite

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Stellaris

T
Team Fortress 2

Terraria

The Elder Scrolls Online

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

The Evil Within 2

The Forest

The Sims 3

The Sims 4

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Tian Long Ba Bu

Titanfall 2

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege

Transformer Online

U
Unturned

W
Warface

Warframe

War Thunder

Watch Dogs

Watch Dogs 2

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

World of Tanks

World of Warcraft: Legion

World of Warships

Make me an Instagram profile if old.

Last edited:

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna try it on Nier. Nvm Nier not even on list.... Marvel v Capcom infinite either

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The increased sharpening and color saturation are gonna be godsend for PUBG. I use Reshade right now but if this has less of a performance overhead that would be awesome.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if this needs any game integration. I can't see why it would, and if it doesn't I assume people will figure out how to use it in unsupported games.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I've seen some streamers do something similar to this for PUBG and it makes that game look so pretty with colors that pop more. Really happy it's being integrated into an NVidia product.

Oct 31, 2017
never really understood the appeal of this filters, in my experience they always look like a cheap gimmick that looks good for the first hour but gets old really fast, kinda like the crazy presets in modern TV, I just prefer the vanilla look the developers carefully crafted.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool, but it sucks that it has to be supported like that, we'll see how many games actually do it.

never really understood the appeal of this filters, in my experience they always look like a cheap gimmick that looks good for the first hour but gets old really fast, kinda like the crazy presets in modern TV, I just prefer the vanilla look the developers carefully crafted.

Say that about ugly ass Dark Souls 2. At least shaders make it look like the game before the lighting change.

Or Serious Sam 3, it looks like Call of Duty if you don't use filters.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
"Wow! so like reshade/sweetfx but as a built in nvidia feature??!?

200w.gif

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
So this is like ReShade but worse? Is it open source, usable on any GPU on any game? If not who the fuck is this for?

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stay losing UWA

I wonder if this needs any game integration. I can't see why it would, and if it doesn't I assume people will figure out how to use it in unsupported games.

Given the age of some of the titles listed, I'd speculate its any game with a post processing stack Geforce Experience recognises, so I'd imagine this gets the crowd sourcing treatment that game optimising does

singhr1

Oct 28, 2017
So this is like ReShade but worse? Is it open source, usable on any GPU on any game? If not who the fuck is this for?

NVIDIA GPUs. Built in shaders so users wouldn't need to get outside mods. Probably less performance hit. It's NVIDIA getting in on a trend that already existed, like video recording.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
NVIDIA GPUs. Built in shaders so users wouldn't need to get outside mods. Probably less performance hit. It's NVIDIA getting in on a trend that already existed, like video recording.
I use a Nvidia GPU and I cannot fathom how anyone can even suggest something like this as an alternative to a better open solution.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
I use a Nvidia GPU and I cannot fathom how anyone can even suggest something like this as an alternative to a better open solution.

Like Dsr and gedosato, having something like that built-in on the driver side of a gpu can guarantee a 360 degree compatibility with past-present and future games, something that a user content can't guarantee at all
It's a nightmare to maintain 100% of compatibility across a decade of videogame on pc, let alone 30-40 years. For a post processing filter like reshade it's, probably, easy between that and, you know, gedosato. But God knows where will go from now on in terms of library, coding and things like that
It's a start, Ansel and Dsr (While I prefer a lot more Gedosato when I can choose between them!) are a godsend right now, let's see were freestyle goes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nvidia drivers have always been a black box, so expecting an Open Source solution is pretty unlikely, but hopefully they do something vaguely standardised like allow for user created LUTs to be loaded

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
That youtube video is obnoxious but the idea is interesting. I could maybe see myself trying a 'night mode', depending on the game...

Oct 28, 2017
The examples in the video are super ugly and considering it's restricted to Nvidia GPU owners, I doubt anyone will actually use it over the other offerings.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely dreadful idea, with the exception of some of the settings to help with colorblindness. But just applying a sepia filter to a game because you think you like how it looks is a very, very bad idea. Games are works of art. The artists behind these games spend a long time working on the visual palate and style of a game, especially in terms of color. This simply distorts and wrecks that vision for no good reason. Games should be presented as the artists behind the games intended them to be presented. This is as foolish as applying a sepia filter to films like The Thin Red Line or a washed out bleached filter to Empire of the Sun. Those films should be presented as the directors intended, and the same principle applies to games.

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely dreadful idea, with the exception of some of the settings to help with colorblindness. But just applying a sepia filter to a game because you think you like how it looks is a very, very bad idea. Games are works of art. The artists behind these games spend a long time working on the visual palate and style of a game, especially in terms of color. This simply distorts and wrecks that vision for no good reason. Games should be presented as the artists behind the games intended them to be presented. This is as foolish as applying a sepia filter to films like The Thin Red Line or a washed out bleached filter to Empire of the Sun. Those films should be presented as the directors intended, and the same principle applies to games.

What about in the instance of Dark Souls II where the lighting system was removed entirely and it was basically the equivalent of playing Half-Life 2 in fullbright mode? What about Fallout 3 and removing that awful green tint? I could include plenty of games that were butchered to accommodate the hardware of the consoles. Should modders not step in and reimplement the graphical features that were shown to us during the reveal of Watch Dogs and removed at release because that's the "creator's intent"?

There are plenty of edits for movies where the color correction was "done wrong" and I don't think anyone should be stuck with something they don't like if improvements can be made. Hell, even movies have entirely different cuts done by fans and for some (The Hobbit and the Star Wars prequels) we're better off for it. It's up to the user to determine whether it's worth the effort to download a mod/apply a ReShade filter or whatever.

Speaking of Dark Souls II and ReShade, wow this really saved the game in some of the poorer looking areas.

Last edited:

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Like Dsr and gedosato, having something like that built-in on the driver side of a gpu can guarantee a 360 degree compatibility with past-present and future games, something that a user content can't guarantee at all
It's a nightmare to maintain 100% of compatibility across a decade of videogame on pc, let alone 30-40 years. For a post processing filter like reshade it's, probably, easy between that and, you know, gedosato. But God knows where will go from now on in terms of library, coding and things like that
It's a start, Ansel and Dsr (While I prefer a lot more Gedosato when I can choose between them!) are a godsend right now, let's see were freestyle goes.
ReShade maintains better compatibility and will maintain better compatibility than this ever could. Edit: how could you even argue that this could ever ellipse ReShade's compatibility, that shit works across multiple GPUs and decades worth of games and APIs.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah if I think it looks good I'll go ahead and use it thanks.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If there is less of a performance hit then people will be interested. At the end Nvidia enjoys a large market share and for people who like messing around with ENBs, shaders, etc... driver supported versions are quite interesting, especially once it's understood how to enable that for non-officially supported games.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
If there is less of a performance hit then people will be interested. At the end Nvidia enjoys a large market share and for people who like messing around with ENBs, shaders, etc... driver supported versions are quite interesting, especially once it's understood how to enable that for non-officially supported games.
I see that as likely as enabling Ansel for non supported games; and given that it's Nvidia, I don't see why they'd let the community figure it out.

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I guess this can be used in an interesting way. I mean, SweetFX is pretty popular in games for adding additional effects to video games to give them for life. But, not quite sure how well this will turn out.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I curious as to whether or not something like this could result in a ban in competitive games with aggressive cheat detection like PUBG. There's a lot of confusion and not a lot of official answers on what does or doesn't trigger a ban and while Reshade was said some time ago not to result in a ban, detection measures have since changed and aren't discussed (for obvious reasons). I mean it says PUBG is supported but it seems like it just means that Nvidia made sure that it works on the game, not that it wouldn't result in a ban from PUBG's cheat detection software.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I curious as to whether or not something like this could result in a ban in competitive games with aggressive cheat detection like PUBG. There's a lot of confusion and not a lot of official answers on what does or doesn't trigger a ban and while Reshade was said some time ago not to result in a ban, detection measures have since changed and aren't discussed (for obvious reasons). I mean it says PUBG is supported but it seems like it just means that Nvidia made sure that it works on the game, not that it wouldn't result in a ban from PUBG's cheat detection software.
Reshade for PUBG is so widely used (to increase the colors and counteract blur) that they would have to put out a statement stating otherwise if they banned it, especially after openly condoning its usage. They would block its usage first before banning as well, like with the ini tweaks to remove DOF.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My Reshade preset on PUBG costs ~10 FPS. If this can achieve a similar look with less performance hit and is compliant with the anticheat, I'm all in.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Reshade does not cause a ban on Pubg. GeForce does not trigger a ban on Pubg.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Having a driver-level sharpness filter would be a great thing for games which use TAA and either don't apply post-TAA sharpening, or ones which use too much by default and only have the option to toggle it on/off.
Unfortunately it seems that this only works with certain games. Titles like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Resident Evil 7, which need this, are not supported.
It doesn't look like it's a GameWorks thing, as Assassin's Creed III has a TXAA option (which I only know because Ubisoft gave it away for free) but it is not on the list of supported games.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Or people should have the option of changing what they want to change. It's why mods exist.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this gets expanded. More options is never a bad thing. Not like this is going to make reshade suddenly not exist

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I see that as likely as enabling Ansel for non supported games; and given that it's Nvidia, I don't see why they'd let the community figure it out.
Nobody knows at this point. Nvidia does allow people to mess around with their settings, witness Nvidia Inspector for example. At the very least, their compatibility list will grow and driver based support should indicate lower resource consumption.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows at this point. Nvidia does allow people to mess around with their settings, witness Nvidia Inspector for example. At the very least, their compatibility list will grow and driver based support should indicate lower resource consumption.
That... is nowhere near the level of customization allowed or enabled in ReShade.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh, its nice but Reshade pretty does all this for me so it doesn't do anything to push me towards Nvidia products.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wont get banned in PUBG. sometimes in the test server it wont work but that depends on the update.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
"Opt-in to the Freestyle beta in GeForce Experience"
Yeah umm, no thanks. Cool concept though & will streamline the experience for those willing to use the software.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Oh wow that's awesome. Maybe it'll work in games like Destiny one day where you can't use reshade