Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sorry, but are you really comparing the creator of a film making alternate cuts with different color timings with an automated filter that distorts a game's appearance based on the same narrow parameters for every frame with no consideration for the creator's original vision? Blade Runner is a perfect example, actually. The original release was mangled against the will of the original artists, just as these dreadful filters mangle the game's appearance against the will of the original artists.

Saying "The filters themselves do not really change the game itself. Games are not a solely visual medium" is just dead wrong. Visual design is an integral part of game design, of course mangling the visual palate changes the game and the users experience of the game. Films aren't solely a visual medium either! Suggesting that more choice is always a good thing is completely fallacious. You have the choice to draw in permanent marker on the screen while you're playing. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

So you are comparing scribbling on the screen to a filter for a game? Is that level of depth your argument has? Blade Runner is the perfect example, as there are multiple cuts of the film with different hands in it and yet not everyone agrees on the best version. You're right, movies are not purely visual. They also have an audio component. Games have so much more than that and a filter is not necessarily going to impact a game negatively, and this is also something that you would have to go out of your way to do.

It sounds like you don't just dislike that this is an option, but you dislike that anyone else has the gall to suggest that they would enjoy a filter on a game. You really just need to stop putting games on a pedastel and understand that people have the choice to enjoy their games the way they want. Like I said before, some games even offer this. There is also a signicant difference to putting a filter on Limbo vs Just Cause 3. Not all games are the same.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you are comparing scribbling on the screen to a filter for a game? Is that level of depth your argument has? Blade Runner is the perfect example, as there are multiple cuts of the film with different hands in it and yet not everyone agrees on the best version. You're right, movies are not purely visual. They also have an audio component. Games have so much more than that and a filter is not necessarily going to impact a game negatively, and this is also something that you would have to go out of your way to do.

It sounds like you don't just dislike that this is an option, but you dislike that anyone else has the gall to suggest that they would enjoy a filter on a game. You really just need to stop putting games on a pedastel and understand that people have the choice to enjoy their games the way they want. Like I said before, some games even offer this. There is also a signicant difference to putting a filter on Limbo vs Just Cause 3. Not all games are the same.
It's funny, as Orson Welles famously compared the colorization process, which is similar in principle to these filters, as crayon scribbling on film. But I didn't quite draw a direct comparison, I simply used it to illustrate the point that just because you have the choice to do something doesn't mean it's you should do it. Once again, you're arguing against a straw man if you think I don't acknowledge that people have a right to do whatever they want. I'm not arguing about whether people have a right to do it, but whether it's a good idea.

I'm not putting games on a pedestal. Of course, some people think the idea that video games are a form of art is putting them on a pedestal in and of itself. The film critic Roger Ebert famously argued this point. I strongly disagreed with him and still do, but I understand the argument. Rather than putting games on a pedestal above other artforms, I'm very consistent. I think all works of art should be presented in the way in which they were intended, at least to the best of one's ability. I argue the same for film, for television, for music, for painting.

Blade Runner isn't an example that bolsters your argument, as there may be various cuts prepared by the director in different periods, but all of those cuts (the Director's Cut, the Final Cut) have one thing in common: they are presenting the film as the director intended it to be presented. They are presenting his creative vision, not the studio's. The only cut that's universally agreed to as the worst is the original, where the director's vision was compromised and mangled by the studio, much in the same way these ugly filters mangle the director's vision of a game. The Blade Runner comparison is much more favorable to my side of the argument than yours, as it's a classic example of why the vision of the artist should be respected.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
I tried this in Siege to clear up some of the fogginess and improve clarity. It works as expected like Reshade or the like, imo. Not a bad easy way to add a personal preference to games.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's funny, as Orson Welles famously compared the colorization process, which is similar in principle to these filters, as crayon scribbling on film. But I didn't quite draw a direct comparison, I simply used it to illustrate the point that just because you have the choice to do something doesn't mean it's you should do it. Once again, you're arguing against a straw man if you think I don't acknowledge that people have a right to do whatever they want. I'm not arguing about whether people have a right to do it, but whether it's a good idea.

I'm not putting games on a pedestal. Of course, some people think the idea that video games are a form of art is putting them on a pedestal in and of itself. The film critic Roger Ebert famously argued this point. I strongly disagreed with him and still do, but I understand the argument. Rather than putting games on a pedestal above other artforms, I'm very consistent. I think all works of art should be presented in the way in which they were intended, at least to the best of one's ability. I argue the same for film, for television, for music, for painting.

Blade Runner isn't an example that bolsters your argument, as there may be various cuts prepared by the director in different periods, but all of those cuts (the Director's Cut, the Final Cut) have one thing in common: they are presenting the film as the director intended it to be presented. They are presenting his creative vision, not the studio's. The only cut that's universally agreed to as the worst is the original, where the director's vision was compromised and mangled by the studio, much in the same way these ugly filters mangle the director's vision of a game. The Blade Runner comparison is much more favorable to my side of the argument than yours, as it's a classic example of why the vision of the artist should be respected.

Okay, I get where you are coming from now. I believe games are art, but I also believe it is not particularly hard for things to qualify as art. Flappy Bird is art and so is Ori and the Blind Forest, even if they both don't have the same amount of vision. In your eyes is putting a filter on Burnout on the same level as putting a filter on Inside?

You also proved my point on Blade Runner. Multiple versions were put out by the studio and not the director. Yet how do you know games like Metal Gear Solid V, Just Cause 3, and Breath of the Wild were all released exactly as how the director wanted? What if a studio went "Oh, you need to put X feature in here." or "No, we can't implement X environment"? What if what you are playing is not how the director envisioned it? Or if the game changed directors midway through development? What you are arguing for is not something that is necessarily the "Director's Vision" but instead is just what got released.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably not going to play through a game with a filter on the first time. I may not even use the thing. But replaying through a game using a filter to bring more enjoyment out of it is not a bad thing. Neither is using a filter because you enjoy how it makes the game look more. And what you are playing is probably not solely the artists decision. And how you play isn't necessarily the artist's vision either.

That being said I apologize for misunderstanding your point earlier.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody got this to work with Witcher 3? I have the updated drivers and Geforce Experience but pressing Alt+F3 (default shortcut) in Witcher 3 says "the game is not supported".

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do I need one of the latest card to have this feature ( the one that also supports Ansel), or will GTX 660 work just fine?

I know that this is horribly later ( for some reason lost all the willpower to read this topic, for some reason), but yeah, it works with 660. I have the same GPU and it works. It is pretty neat, but a tad cumbersome to use, and the overlay is not good. I always hate overlays and never normally use them.

Maybe if Nvidia make the whole process to work faster, I'll try it again. Neat idea, but clearly not complete yet.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that this is horribly later ( for some reason lost all the willpower to read this topic, for some reason), but yeah, it works with 660. I have the same GPU and it works. It is pretty neat, but a tad cumbersome to use, and the overlay is not good. I always hate overlays and never normally use them.

Maybe if Nvidia make the whole process to work faster, I'll try it again. Neat idea, but clearly not complete yet.

Thanks for the reply :)