Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's crazy to me that this sold about as much on the Switch as the Wii/PS2 versions combined. I know eShop sales and all, but back in the day when the PS2/Wii versions were all there was it seemed like this game got discussed on forums all the time. Now it feels like it's something that's been relegated to cult hit, yet in reality it's reached more people than ever in the past couple of years.

I think ease of access (Digital) and the enhancements being more so (Rather than just control it's noe HD, runs better, etc). Is what has led to a lot of games (Especially HD ports) lasting longer and selling better. As for the talk, I think that can be regulated that the farther back you go, the more niche talking online about games was. So you had better concentrations of players relying on magazines and others unlike now.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
the moral arc of the universe bends toward justice

still remember when okami was considered a huge bomb back in the day. Glad to see it vindicated over time. One of my top 10 if not 5 games of all time

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a copy on Switch :P

...and quit about 5 hours in. Found it incredibly boring :|

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now hurry up and remake Okamiden for consoles and PC because you know there's a market for it.
i know people like to shit on okamiden but i really want a port too. i don't think it'll ever happen tho :(

I bought a copy on Switch :P

...and quit about 5 hours in. Found it incredibly boring :|
it gets really good after 5 or so hours! keep playing. the beginning is super slow but once it gets going it's amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy crap at the PC platform dominating all these figures. I imagined that these Japanese games like AA and Okami would be more console oriented but I guess not!

Visual Novels titles do well on PC.

Okami did well for a limited amount of time it has had on PC.

Okami however is more console oriented as it sold 1.2 mil across PS system and 900k across Nintendo System (across a larger time period though)

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
PC = 1.3M
Original Dragon dogma PS3/X360 = 1.2M
Dragon Dogma Dark Arisen PS3/X360 = 1.1M
Dragon Dogma PS4/X1 = 732K
Dragon Dogma Switch = 298K

---

DMCV
PS4 1.7M
PC 1.1M
X1 324K (Gamepass likely killed its legs as it was on there pretty shortly after release)

Ahh those xbox numbers aren't so hot considering MS had the marketing rights iirc. Thanks for the numbers Jaw.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Bought it on PS2, PS3, and PS4 and I still haven't beaten it.

It's the white whale of my backlog.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
holy crap at the PC platform dominating all these figures. I imagined that these Japanese games like AA and Okami would be more console oriented but I guess not!

I think that the coolest thing about these Capcom sales figures is the breadth of the types of games selling very well on PC. Big games sell well, small games sell well, remasters sell well. It's really great to see.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
People in here acting like remasters of Game Boy Advance titles that have a relatively high initial pricetag selling thousands of copies is going to break the bank. I am pretty confident if Ace Attorney 4-6 get a remastered collection it will come to all platforms (Great Ace Attorney however...). I am personally more surprised that the PC version did not sell most overall there considering the genre.

I dont think the sales can be compared as ps version numbers are spread across different platforms ,
Why not? Most gamers do not stick to just a specific platform holder's library. I know a lot of people that bought the game for the first time ever with a sale on PlayStation 3 then bought the game on Nintendo Switch on release.

It's crazy to me that this sold about as much on the Switch as the Wii/PS2 versions combined. I know eShop sales and all, but back in the day when the PS2/Wii versions were all there was it seemed like this game got discussed on forums all the time. Now it feels like it's something that's been relegated to cult hit, yet in reality it's reached more people than ever in the past couple of years.
Game rentals were still extremely common then and digital purchases obviously cannot be resold. It is unlikely that the game is more popular overall now than it was then. Capcom would take note of that and push for more Okami crossovers and merchandise than they are.

I suppose it is worth mentioning the competition too. 2008 was arguably the most stacked year ever for Wii.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
I bought my PS2 for this game back in the day. Really love it.
I bought it on the ps4, maybe one day i'll buy it on the switch

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a game that i would expect to sell less on the switch, is a zelda clone

That doesn't make sense. Surely the audience who likes Zelda-style games is going to be on Switch, so a high quality one like Okami will do well as a result? As implied by the sales results in the OP.

I have no context, are these decent numbers for a HD remaster of a 15 year old fairly "cult" game?

2.2+ million sales seems to be pretty good overall. Much better than it sold at first release. If it has sold the most on Switch that also suggests to me that it has a pretty good sales tail too.

Is this good or bad? Never played the game but people keep telling me it's a Zelda Clone.

Wouldn't mind playing a Zelda Clone with trophies, maybe I should wait for the ps5 re-remaster lol.

I think calling it a Zelda clone is a little unfair, as it has a lot of its own style and ideas. Stylistically it's very unique and the combat and puzzles are centred around a 'paint on the screen' calligraphy style which is unlike any other game I have played. It certainly has a similar structure to the classic Zelda games (with the overworld > dungeon setup) but doesn't feel like a clone.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
4.5 million in August...now their splash page for the game says >5 million.
lmao. damn, they're inaccurate as hell. i occasionally look up games to get an idea of how well they've done but if that's how wrong they are that makes them pretty useless.

It "used" to actually be pretty accurate. But Valve put in numerous barriers so it doesn't work how it used to, so all it can do is guesstimate and as shown it's all over the place now.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Going off just the platinum page and not the leaked data, it would be Resident Evil 0 HD at 2.6 Million (Which is missing Data)

Okami comparatively is at 2.2 Million

This doesn't get into counting something like RE4 that has had multiple ports.
Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821

545424642983198731.png

mazi Pranay The Okami Numbers are right
I think gamepass will help xbox get lower selling games in the future, if a deal is centered around in the future, say in 3 years it could have double the number of subscribers being conservative (15 million last update, feels like 5 mil a year is an extremely conservative growth prediction), if the base is high we could see more deals and these games get ported over, which will benefit both subscribers and people who dont care about gamepass and just want to buy the games on xbox.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821
Super depressing numbers for Ace Attorney. Switch and PC seem to have done okay-ish, but PS4 and especially Xbox are not great at all.

I'm really not hopeful we'll get 4, 5 and 6 ported to modern systems now. A shame since me and my partner really enjoyed playing the trilogy on the TV.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox consoles had alot of japanese content in the past just based on the fact that multiplattform development grew stronger with every generation - japanese devs/pubs not continuing with support when the sales dont back it up isnt really surprising. Those fans are usually on Playstation consoles and you cant really use the Nintendo excuse where many devs/pubs arent on the plattforms because they arent powerful to run the games or they are direct "confrontation" with Sony in Japan which prevents some to hit multiple systems.

Honestly, MHW was a massive success but looking at the Iceborne One sales....i wasnt too impressed with them - it often still feel that the games release also on Xbox, only to have a bargaining argument when it comes to talks with Sonys and the marketing deals. Again thats not the case for the real big hitters ala Dark Souls....but otherwise the market reception paint a clear picture.
Hit the nail on the head here.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Super depressing numbers for Ace Attorney. Switch and PC seem to have done okay-ish, but PS4 and especially Xbox are not great at all.

I'm really not hopeful we'll get 4, 5 and 6 ported to modern systems now. A shame since me and my partner really enjoyed playing the trilogy on the TV.
It's pretty good for a collection of games that have been ported multiple times already, except for xbox lol. I was expecting less.

Capcom noted that the anime airing around the same time helped sales in the west.

Their DGS projections are lower (can't remember the exact numbers) so I can easily see it exceeding them on Switch/PC/PS4 combined.

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
It "used" to actually be pretty accurate. But Valve put in numerous barriers so it doesn't work how it used to, so all it can do is guesstimate and as shown it's all over the place now.

Actually it can still display a good estimate for most games, Dragon's Dogma, for example, has between 1m-2m players. IMO for having a better grasp SteamDB shows all the possible outcomes using playtracker, steamspy and the classic "review method"

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, these sales are great (with Xbox being the obvious exception). These games have been rereleased over and over again, so there's obviously a ceiling as to how much they can do, but selling almost a million units is really good. I'd assume that Capcom is very happy with these numbers.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I should import a copy for the Switch, I have the Wii version, but the IR drawing is rather hit or miss...

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did my part-
Also own two digital copies.

okami_collection_2020.jpg

This is similar to my collection as well, minus the Xbox 1 version of the game since I don't own an Xbox One, and I'm still thinking about getting an Xbox 1 version to complete the set anyway.

I also have one of those First 4 Figures statues as well

OKAMMY013.jpg

Final version has better drawn inky lines espicially with the tail.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This is similar to my collection as well, minus the Xbox 1 version of the game since I don't own an Xbox One, and I'm still thinking about getting an Xbox 1 version to complete the set anyway.

I also have one of those First 4 Figures statues as well

OKAMMY013.jpg

Final version has better drawn inky lines espicially with the tail.

Wow - isn't that absolutely huge? F4F is so massive.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

5 and 6 should be a straightforward upscaling from the mobile versions. The only problem is whether they simply release Apollo justice as is from the mobile version of that game where it's much closer to the DS games and not the 3DS ones, which went for full 3D models, or if that's too jarring and they would want to redo apollo justice entirely to match the 3D style.

I can't see either approach not being worth doing for a switch release though.

In any case, I don't know what the expectations were for these rereleases, but they were enough to greenlight the great ace attorney localisations and ports, which is more effort than doing the second trilogy, so I remain hopeful.
They can't have been so high when prior to this gen the games had already been released on : GBA,DS,Wii, 3DS, mobile, making this the 6th release set for the original trilogy.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821

545424642983198731.png

mazi Pranay The Okami Numbers are right
I do think Capcom did terribly here. the phoenix wright trilogy is something i hold dear in my heart but coming without the spanish and italian translations that were there in the originals... they can go and fuck themselves. I was gonna buy it on switch, but it will forever be a never if they are not updated, i suppose its a similar case with other spaniard and italians.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good for a collection of games that have been ported multiple times already, except for xbox lol. I was expecting less.

Capcom noted that the anime airing around the same time helped sales in the west.

Their DGS projections are lower (can't remember the exact numbers) so I can easily see it exceeding them on Switch/PC/PS4 combined.
Nah, these sales are great (with Xbox being the obvious exception). These games have been rereleased over and over again, so there's obviously a ceiling as to how much they can do, but selling almost a million units is really good. I'd assume that Capcom is very happy with these numbers.
Hopefully you're both right. I love the AA series a lot and I'm just sad it didn't find a huge audience on every platform. Hopefully the original Trilogy sold well enough to justify 4-5-6 (and 7) on Switch and PC at the very least.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I think gamepass will help xbox get lower selling games in the future, if a deal is centered around in the future, say in 3 years it could have double the number of subscribers being conservative (15 million last update, feels like 5 mil a year is an extremely conservative growth prediction), if the base is high we could see more deals and these games get ported over, which will benefit both subscribers and people who dont care about gamepass and just want to buy the games on xbox.

It still depends on what games Microsoft feels are worth investing in. If they don't feel like a game will perform well enough, they aren't going to waste money on it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing game, one of the few I've played more than twice

Funnily enough I own it on 2 platforms not listed in the OP

Wii and PS3

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hopefully you're both right. I love the AA series a lot and I'm just sad it didn't find a huge audience on every platform. Hopefully the original Trilogy sold well enough to justify 4-5-6 (and 7) on Switch and PC at the very least.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Switch/PC still getting the games at all. Trilogy sales were definitely good enough and some other things that leaked.
Pretty sure it was said that a 4-6 collection was being planned to fill in a FY just no concrete date yet in reports. Would probably be used as a lead-in for when they nail down AA7

Xbox is definitely out of the picture though unless MS pays for ports on gamepass. Think PS4/5 would stay though just because.

Oct 29, 2017
I do think Capcom did terribly here. the phoenix wright trilogy is something i hold dear in my heart but coming without the spanish and italian translations that were there in the originals... they can go and fuck themselves. I was gonna buy it on switch, but it will forever be a never if they are not updated, i suppose its a similar case with other spaniard and italians.

IIRC, Nintendo paid for the original FIGS localisations; and still own the rights to them...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Nintendo paid for the original FIGS localisations; and still own the rights to them...
Theres a lot of games that do this and they still keep the localizations when they jump to other systems. W101 is one of them (but there are others), also german and french are in the new version of Phoenix Wright and those were also done by Nintendo, something doesnt work here. If its becuase they bought the rights for the french and german ones, but not the spanish and italian ones they can still go and fuck themselves for being so cheap.
Spoin has a pretty big communtity of phoenix wright fans. We even got the live action movie dubbed and released in theaters here.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I have the original ps2 version. Still event picked the HD one yet, Switch (light) or XSX?

With Xbox not getting great Japanese supports a switch to go along with it seems like a good idea.

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy how this and Amarterasu stuck around considering its sales originally back in the day. Glad to know it's still getting sales, rip Clover. Was nice to see Okami even getting nods in the Capcom cafe.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
These Xbox numbers seem strange to me, as Ace Attorney on TrueAchievements has x5,400 players listed, and that's only people that are registered on that site.

The data is definitely a bit outdated so it's likely more now.
Seems even Capcom doesn't have 100% on their numbers.

I've been scouring Reddit, Twitter, and such to get the current numbers posted