iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Damn, was a huge fan of him from Cosmos and was looking forward to season 2. If these pan out to be true, hope he's properly put through the wringer.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
i feel kinda bad saying this but im not as surprised as i would be for a lot of other people. A lot of his comments about philosophy made him come off as hugely egotistical, as did some of the historical revisionism in his version of Cosmos. Obviously being an arrogant narcissist doesn't make you a sex offender but most sex offenders seem to be arrogant narcissists.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Very disconcerting to hear. If these allegations are true, he should absolutely face the legal consequences of his actions. Also, he needs to comment on these developments.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These clairvoyant posts are always so dumb.

"I knew it" "had that vibe tbh"

I just take it as an admission that they don't care about sexual harassment, tbh.

"I knew it"

...and you didn't tell anyone? Wow, what a hero.

Obviously I know what they mean, but still. It's a stupid thing to say.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame - firstly for any and all victims and then way down the priority list because he's been a great force for science education. But if you want a bracing sorbet to go out hating him - watch him moderate panels. Absolutely infuriating and annoying and continually interrupting people and restating things they just said as his own observations.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
This is bad. I'm disappointed and I really don't want to watch how ugly things will get.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
not to be a dick, but that's not what it is either. doxing is when you release the private information of someone online.

Soooo... public shaming. And doxing could potentially be used for the purpose of blackmailing/extortion as well, but I get what you mean, it was awkward phrasing. Now stop nitpicking my wording plz, kthnxbye.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Goddammit. Everybody sucks.

If they find a storage unit belonging to Weird Al with a walk-in freezer filled with dead bodies I'm officially done.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
NeilTysonOriginsA-Crop_400x400.jpg

Fuck him, then.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at all considering the rampant problem in media/Hollywood and NDT is no different.

I don't see any implications here to science, he's hardly relevant.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soooo... public shaming. And doxing could potentially be used for the purpose of blackmailing/extortion as well, but I get what you mean, it was awkward phrasing. Now stop nitpicking my wording plz, kthnxbye.

lol I was trying to be nice after you repeatedly misunderstood a word with a very simple/specific meaning and then snapped at someone who questioned it, but okay

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say that I'm surprised that a lot of people love this guy on era considering how much of a condescending asshole he is on social media... then I thought about it for a minute and realized that I shouldn't be.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There's been stories of him being a rude jerk for years. Not a huge surprise to hear this stuff tbh.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Noooo. For fuck's sake...
We need science heroes.
Not more idiots who abuse their power.

Jesus, even drugged and raped. If this is true there must be more.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I remember reading shit about him a few years(?) ago and was surprised that nothing came out of it. Glad to see more people step forward.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Patheos is a religious conservative website.

EDIT: To be clear, it doesn't matter what the site is if they have women who are named and on record. We still need to listen to them and demand a response from Tyson.

No it's not. It covers religious issues but is not "conservative" in the way Americans would use that term. It publishes a lot of content critical of the state of Israel for example.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Believe women, end of. No one is above reproach just because they're a celeb astrophysicist.

And there's no reason why these three separate women would be making these claims about the same guy. Predatory scumbag.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's "scientistm"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
  1. The improper usage of science or scientific claims.[8] This usage applies equally in contexts where science might not apply,[9] such as when the topic is perceived as beyond the scope of scientific inquiry, and in contexts where there is insufficient empirical evidence to justify a scientific conclusion. It includes an excessive deference to the claims of scientists or an uncritical eagerness to accept any result described as scientific. This can be a counterargument to appeals to scientific authority. It can also address the attempt to apply "hard science" methodology and claims of certainty to the social sciences, which Friedrich Hayek described in The Counter-Revolution of Science (1952) as being impossible, because that methodology involves attempting to eliminate the "human factor", while social sciences (including his own field of economics) center almost purely on human action.
  2. "The belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry",[10] or that "science, and only science, describes the world as it is in itself, independent of perspective"[5] with a concomitant "elimination of the psychological [and spiritual] dimensions of experience".[11][12] Tom Sorell provides this definition: "Scientism is a matter of putting too high a value on natural science in comparison with other branches of learning or culture."[13] Philosophers such as Alexander Rosenberg have also adopted "scientism" as a name for the view that science is the only reliable source of knowledge.[14]
Basically he's the kind of guy who will make the argument that only the "hard" sciences matter because they're the only ones that are based on truly objective data, while ignoring the long complicated human process that led to the development of those hard sciences and ensures that those scientific endeavors are done ethically. Science is great, but a main reason why it is great is because we have spent centuries trying and failing along the way to get to where we are today. It isn't something that just happens and is awesome because it is, which is typically how he presents it, as if it is a monolithic entity that came to us from a divine being.

This tweet of his is the perfect example of his elitist attitude towards the humanities

Although, from a quick glance at his twitter, at least he seems to have stepped away from most of the ignorant hot takes on twitter in favor of bad jokes, which I suppose is an improvement

Last edited:

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Shit...

I also didn't know he was kinda rude and egotistical, consider me educated.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say that I'm surprised that a lot of people love this guy on era considering how much of a condescending asshole he is on social media... then I thought about it for a minute and realized that I shouldn't be.
Is this your way of saying that ERA is full of condescending assholes?

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this your way of saying that ERA is full of condescending assholes?
Oh, I just remembered that this guy is one of those snobby social media atheists that era loves so much and then the reactions in this thread made a lot more sense, it's less about people here being condescending assholes since Musk is largely despised here.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see many people not believing the women.
I mean, someone commented on the first page that Patheos is a "conservative religious website", and a number of users completely changed their tone from "no, not him!" to "oh, this must be fake." It may not be the actual intent, but it portrays an attitude of "believe women, unless they're conservative/religious."

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, someone commented on the first page that Patheos is a "conservative religious website", and a number of users completely changed their tone from "no, not him!" to "oh, this must be fake." It may not be the actual intent, but it portrays an attitude of "believe women, unless they're conservative/religious."
Yeah i think the "noo not him" is mostly about the disappointment that it's him who did this.
It's more how you want to read it, quite honestly.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

People have to and should be constantly aware of "fake news" sources with agendas. And unfortunately in the US some of the biggest ones like Fox News and CBN are conservative + religious. That said all accusations of assault and/or harassment should be taken seriously and investigated. If Patheos really is creating "fake news", an investigation will uncover that.