• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of amazing..

720S GT3 added to the GT3 roster fior rF2.
48383967_2157342057650028_2586036045560676352_o.jpg

Steam sale for rF2 as well.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
rF2 GT3 Challengers pack available sometime on Saturday
  • McLaren 720S GT3
  • Audi R8 LMS GT3
  • Porsche 911 GT3 R
  • BMW M6 GT3
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT3 2019
However, it seems like Aston haven't signed off on the car-model yet, so only the first four will be available tomorrow. The Aston though? Whenever they get around to replying to s397's emails.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Welp got a set of the Heusinkveld Sprint pedals ordered from Demon Tweeks. Guess I will have my PT2s up for sale once I get them in and set up.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Welp got a set of the Heusinkveld Sprint pedals ordered from Demon Tweeks. Guess I will have my PT2s up for sale once I get them in and set up.
What was wrong with your PT2 pedals? I was considering purchasing them last year, but went for the Heusinkveld Pros due to the difficultly in actually getting hold of the PT2s. Did I dodge a bullet?

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Heusinkveld, it seems as though Neils will be streaming the best racing game of all time (GPL) in about 25 minutes. I'm off to bed though, so will watch in the morning.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with your PT2 pedals? I was considering purchasing them last year, but went for the Heusinkveld Pros due to the difficultly in actually getting hold of the PT2s. Did I dodge a bullet?

Nothing is wrong with them, they work fine. I just wanted a set of HE pedals to begin with and the new Sprints tick all the boxes for me as far as how they look, function and adjust. I am not a fan of the clutch design on the PT2s in how it feels and sounds though.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 GT3 Challengers pack available sometime on Saturday
  • McLaren 720S GT3
  • Audi R8 LMS GT3
  • Porsche 911 GT3 R
  • BMW M6 GT3
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT3 2019
However, it seems like Aston haven't signed off on the car-model yet, so only the first four will be available tomorrow. The Aston though? Whenever they get around to replying to s397's emails.
What a great selection of cars. I do hope S397 start releasing more tracks as the sim desperately needs them.

As for Aston Martin, it must be a Brit thing. Bentley put Sector 3 through hell releasing their brand into R3E. Everything was checked and signed off from the 3D models to every livery being 100% accurate according to Bentley licencing.

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I do hope S397 start releasing more tracks as the sim desperately needs them.
I was in talks with Marcel about using some artist friends of mine to create Watkins Glen to sell through S397's store, but it all fell through sadly (my artist friends were all ex-Disney so their price made the whole thing unprofitable). Then a couple of weeks later, a mod team released a superbly rendered version of Watkins, so eh. But from the language Marcel was using, it sounded like there is another 3rd party group developing a track. So that's Portland, Nurburgring and a mystery track coming.

Still not fast enough though, we need more more more yesterday.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I must say, as each release comes out I'm more and more impressed with RRE3's AI. Especially how they handle the first corner.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Those must be awesome then because I find AC's AI to be pretty good with a high aggression setting. They still are too careful avoiding stopped cars on track but I have a LOT of exciting races against them.

BTW, that FM7 LRP mod is frikkin' ACE. I must have turned 200 laps on it this morning.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I was in talks with Marcel about using some artist friends of mine to create Watkins Glen to sell through S397's store, but it all fell through sadly (my artist friends were all ex-Disney so their price made the whole thing unprofitable). Then a couple of weeks later, a mod team released a superbly rendered version of Watkins, so eh. But from the language Marcel was using, it sounded like there is another 3rd party group developing a track. So that's Portland, Nurburgring and a mystery track coming.

Still not fast enough though, we need more more more yesterday.
When the AMS DLC ships, they'll be several more tracks added too. The Watkins mod is solid; I believe it is a conversion from AC so I'd love a scratch made rF2 specific version. Region specific track DLC (e.g. North & South America, Europe, UK and Oceania) using voted on tracks would be a good idea too IMHO.

I also wish more tracks were available for the kart DLC and Formula E cars. It is one of the few areas S397 have screwed up.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Is it worth picking up rF2 now just for the base content?
If you like historics, then nothing beats rF2. If you're more into roadcars, then no. But anyway, here's a list of what I consider the top third of base content available:

Tracks
  • Suzuka (Matsusaka)
  • Bathurst
  • Botniaring
  • Longford 1967
  • Zandvoort
  • Monaco (MonteCarlo 1966)
  • MillsMetro (a fantasy track, but one of my favourites)
  • Toban (another great fantasy track)
  • Silverstone 2012
  • Mores (a tiny circuit in Italy)
  • Indianapolis
  • Atlanta Motorsport Park (Tilke's only good circuit)
Cars
  • Skip Barber
  • McLaren MP4/13
  • McLaren MP4/8
  • McLaren M23
  • March 761
  • Brabham BT44B
  • Formula Renault 2014
  • Howston G4 and G6 (fake Lola T70)
  • USF2000
  • Renault Megane Trophy 2013
Of course, there's some really great mods too, but your question was in regards to the base content.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
No idea what's happen to the new kart tracks. They were supposed to be out in September :(
Just like the Reiza DLC which hasn't been fully tested as Reiza has been too busy with other things apparently. The last post in the testing forum was the 29th of November!

It is good to know more kart tracks are coming eventually. The pro version has a shed load more laser scanned tracks but at £300+ I don't want it that much!

Even though it's been dropped, I believe the Sector 3 method of releasing an 'experience' with all the cars, liveries and tracks is the best approach.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
So nobody's played the AC conversion of FM7's LRP yet? I thought you'd be all over this, it being one of the more popular venues.
*shrugs*

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
So nobody's played the AC conversion of FM7's LRP yet? I thought you'd be all over this, it being one of the more popular venues.
*shrugs*
It's Christmas, people are busy, on holiday and all that.

I'm sure we are all very grateful for the links; give it a few days and people will respond. rF2 dropped a major dlc pack and I've seen 3 responses!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
It's Christmas, people are busy, on holiday and all that.

I'm sure we are all very grateful for the links; give it a few days and people will respond. rF2 dropped a major dlc pack and I've seen 3 responses!
Lol, I'm sure you didn't mean that to sound as patronising as it did ;)
I'm not after praise or thanks or any such stuff, I just thought there'd have been some reaction to its release. It's been a long time coming. No worries either way, consider my deep concerns withdrawn. Merry Christmas everybody!

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
rF2 dropped a major dlc pack and I've seen 3 responses!
Speaking of which, have you tried it? I'm finding that not only does the PBR shader make rF2 look like rF3, I find it to be a lot lighter on the GPU. This must be making some kind of history as the most graphically improved game ever?

rF2 2013
index.php

rF2 2018
index.php

index.php

index.php

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I'm sure you didn't mean that to sound as patronising as it did ;)
I'm not after praise or thanks or any such stuff, I just thought there'd have been some reaction to its release. It's been a long time coming. No worries either way, consider my deep concerns withdrawn. Merry Christmas everybody!
Same to you. Have a very merry Xmas and prosperous new year in old Blighty.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of which, have you tried it? I'm finding that not only does the PBR shader make rF2 look like rF3, I find it to be a lot lighter on the GPU. This must be making some kind of history as the most graphically improved game ever?
S397 have transformed rF2 completely. If the sim wasn't such a niche product, I'm sure PC Gamer and the like would be all over the new shaders etc. The 2012-2013 graphics look akin to a PS2 replay!

I still remember the days when only physics mattered when rF2 was discussed; thank the Gods that's largely an old meme.

Edit: Just played the new pack - had all manner of graphical glitches to a point where I thought my GTX 1070 was dying. I started Serious Sam 2017 without any graphical issues in DX12.

I deleted my player.json file along with the CBash & DX11 config file and rF2 looks like it should. It's shite like this that often trips up new people to rF2 and shouldn't be a thing in 2018.

Last edited:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the changes to the forum have kept me off here much more than I expected. I still check in here every couple of days. I've really been enjoying the update to R3E that added in multi class AI, especially with 99 cars on the Nordschleife. The rF2 GT3 pack is top notch stuff as well.

BTW I cancelled my order with Demon Tweeks on the Sprint pedals. I don't need them right now and I'm going to wait till a NA retailer has some in stock.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
How does DX9 look so good? /rhetorical/

I can't wait for a DX11 or 12 engine upgrade as the R3E engine is very solid but showing its age. I am not sold at all on the UE4 engine however if S397 keep making additions to isiMotor 2.5 I can see history repeating itself if they open the platform to third parties.

SimBin UK and S3 are committed to UE4 which makes me a little sad given what I've played in ACC.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
About a year ago I bought a G29 + Shifter to play with my PS4, and then a few months later I had to move to a new apartment and now I can't set up my wheel properly in the living room... I think I played only 2 times in the last year. I am thinking about setting it up on a table somewhere else in the house (far form TV and PS4...), where I could potentially play with it on my laptop. Bad thing is my laptop has onboard graphics, (8th gen i7, 16gb ram, ssd). I have GTR Evolution on my account, is it considered a good game still? I mean, is the AI good? Force feedback and clutch should work well?

I remember that when I bought it my old PC couldn't run it and playing on the keyboard is not great so I never really played much. Any other old Sim you guys recommend? I want to play on 1080p at least. I also have Race 07 but I think GTR is kind of an updated version of it. I also have Euro Trucking Simulator but unfortunately it doesnt run well on my machine :(

edit. I see that GTR2 is super cheap on Steam, probably the best option for my case?

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
About a year ago I bought a G29 + Shifter to play with my PS4, and then a few months later I had to move to a new apartment and now I can't set up my wheel properly in the living room... I think I played only 2 times in the last year. I am thinking about setting it up on a table somewhere else in the house (far form TV and PS4...), where I could potentially play with it on my laptop. Bad thing is my laptop has onboard graphics, (8th gen i7, 16gb ram, ssd). I have GTR Evolution on my account, is it considered a good game still? I mean, is the AI good? Force feedback and clutch should work well?

I remember that when I bought it my old PC couldn't run it and playing on the keyboard is not great so I never really played much. Any other old Sim you guys recommend? I want to play on 1080p at least. I also have Race 07 but I think GTR is kind of an updated version of it. I also have Euro Trucking Simulator but unfortunately it doesnt run well on my machine :(

edit. I see that GTR2 is super cheap on Steam, probably the best option for my case?
GTR2 preceded Race07+GTR Evolution. No need to go back a step, despite GTR2 being awesome for its time.

As other older sims, Live For Speed is excellent to this day and still receives occasional updates.

Grand Prix Legends is another great, but it has a steep learning curve and you will die many times before completing your first lap.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I see that GTR2 is super cheap on Steam, probably the best option for my case?
GTR 2 is old, looks old however it plays very well given its age and technology. The GT1 class is very unbalanced to reflect the real series so pick the Ferrari if you want to win easily. Think of GTR2 as an early version of pCARS in that it has dynamic time of day and weather changes.

Use the 10 year patch for bug fixes etc: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr2-10th-anniversary-patch.152429/

I have GTR Evolution on my account, is it considered a good game still? I mean, is the AI good? Force feedback and clutch should work well?
Race 07+GTR Evo is arguably the best use of isiMotor 2 despite the lack of a 24 hour ToD cycle until Reiza released Game Stock Car/AMS. The FFB should be very well suited to the G29 as it was made when the G27 was the king of FFB wheels.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this'll interest anyone here, but here's an updated version of the recent Shanghai conversion from NFS Shift with the blurry Speedhunters track logos removed and the Bohemian Rhapsody/Stig billboards replaced. Select the 'New Billboards' track skin.

This is a nice city track for hot-lapping. Watch out for the bridge jumps - they are very risk/reward.

https://we.tl/t-uM7ScTIV3I

The link will only be valid for a week so if somebody wants to re-up it more permanently to Mega or whatever, feel free.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry Sim-Era, I barely race these days. I'll be back on track come February though. For the time being it's all about learning how to pilot the A-10C in DCS World. Man this machine is tough to learn. Something like 600 controls and it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to switch the damn thing on.