• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah it seems like it's split between "it's just new recordings" and "is a new guy". I really can't tell.

I noticed his Twitter has been awfully quiet since March, but on the other hand I can't imagine they would change it out of the blue without saying anything.

I just don't know.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I talked about this yesterday.
Mario doesn't sound like usual.
I don't know if it's not Martinet, but it has changed.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Mario to me. It's also possible that Charles Martinet is aging and his voice is changing. But most likely it's Chris Pratt and Martinet has been sidelined. In fact, let's go with that.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
They sound the same to me. It's probably just new recordings. Mario sounds different between 64 and Galaxy, too.

If they did get someone new, they sound exactly like Martinet to me.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's clearly Martinet, what is with people needing to drama everything. Bloody YouTubers.

I know this is hard for some to comprehend because Chris Pratt has no talent and no range as a voice actor, but Charles Martinet is a professional and can easily change his voice completely as the situation requires.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
If there is a slight difference, put it down to new recordings/age. I seriously doubt he wouldnt be back.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
That's obviously him in both clips. The Wario is kind of a weird reading but it's still clearly him.

I don't know how anyone isn't hearing it.

It definitely isn't Chris Pratt and I'm just going to assume anyone saying that are just joking.

ashbash159

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed something when I first watched the Direct yesterday, but listening again I become less confident.

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is so slight that there's no reason to even speculate on it right now. Could easily be explained by martinet recording new lines and kinda sounding sorta different.

Gotta make videos though.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
If you go to 2:55 in that first Arlo video and hear Mario say "Wonderful" it honestly sounds quite different. Even when Mario got low-pitched in 2007/2008 with Galaxy and Brawl I didn't think he sounded as different as he does here.

That Wario like sounds even more different.

I think it's definitely possible Martinet didn't voice them.

wideface

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Definitely a thought that crossed my mind while watch the Direct last night. Especially at the "wonderful" voice line. We'll have to wait and see though.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
both sound different than usual, couldn't tell you if they're different voice actors though. honestly figured they just used the same mario voice lines for everything so maybe this is the first new recording in a bit and naturally he would sound different

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Could still be Martinet, but with a different voice direction and/or effects applied.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Considering they've brought him back for pretty much everything for 20 years. I think it's safe to assume it is him until Nintendo says otherwise.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Not sure why half the people downplaying this in the thread are instantly jumping on Chris Pratt and insinuating that's what's going on here/saying he sucks too much to replace Martinet.

Yeah, no shit, but the OP and the entire Arlo video make no mention of Pratt whatsoever and I'm not sure where that's even coming from. Some people just think the voice clips don't sound quite right, not that Pratt did them.

I don't really have an opinion on it. Sounds damned close to Martinet if it isn't him. Did see the man at a comicon recently where he was absolutely swarmed with attendees and his booth was littered with Mario shit.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like him to me, just a newer recording of a guy who is getting older. Whatever the case, it didn't need a 13 min video

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's been over 20 years and voices change. Keep in mind Martinet is the voice used on the JP side as well and they generally follow a policy of VAs keeping their roles until they're dead or they retire over there. Nintendo isn't getting rid of Martinet unless it's by his own choice.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's been 10 years since the last new 2D Super Mario Bros. game.

it's just new recordings most likely. he's aging and pretty old by now.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
People need to lay off the Wonder Seeds

Stephen-A-Smith-Net-Worth.jpg

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Wait hold up. I think the Wario line might just be the Direct narrator doing a Wario impression as a joke.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Not sure why half the people downplaying this in the thread are instantly jumping on Chris Pratt and insinuating that's what's going on here/saying he sucks too much to replace Martinet.

Yeah, no shit, but the OP and the entire Arlo video make no mention of Pratt whatsoever and I'm not sure where that's even coming from. Some people just think the voice clips don't sound quite right, not that Pratt did them.

I don't really have an opinion on it. Sounds damned close to Martinet if it isn't him. Did see the man at a comicon recently where he was absolutely swarmed with attendees and his booth was littered with Mario shit.
You think any of the posts saying it's Chris Pratt are being serious? Lmao

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
we just heard his voice in his Mario movie cameo and he sounded no different

Coincidentally, he sounds no different here either, so that's great.

People are accidentally tricking themselves because they actually made some new voice lines instead of reusing the same ones for years, as if they didn't notice the series reused voice lines all the time for so long (or, for some weird reason assumed NSMB reused so much other stuff, but not voice lines)

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
There should be an Avatar bet. The loser changes their avatar to Chris Pratt.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it sounded slightly different but chalked it up to them just moving to a small change in inflection due to the new series/game. It didn't sound so different that I thought it was a new actor. I also don't know how much of Mario's previous limited vocabulary was recorded ages ago. This might be all new lines from a person who has aged a lil. Or it's Thor. I mean, who's to say really.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
What the hell? Mario sounds about the same. Arlo and awful takes seem to go hand in hand lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.