Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Charles Martinet has been murdered and Chris Pratt is eating his corpse.

That might sound nonsensical but so are the people that are pretending this is a controversy.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Mario sounds like Mario and Wario sounds like recent Wario. I feel confident that both are Charles Martinet. This is nonsense.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Martinet has been voicing Mario since the early 90s. He's in his late 60s now. His voice has changed over the years. I'm not going to assume he's out of the role(s) until confirmed. Especially considering he just did the voices recently.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I don't hear any difference in the Mario voice. The "Zowie!" at the end when he turns into the elephant sounds very much like Martinet. Maaybe Wario is different, but his voice has been gradually changing over the years anyways. It's gone from more of an elaborate villainous-sounding voice, to just kinda gruff.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was watching the direct in bed on my phone. My partner was next time me not watching and the first thing they said to me was that Mario's voice was different.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
People seriously think that's Wario's voice and not the announcer doing a Wario impression?

And Mario sounds the same. Dollar store grover needs to climb back into his hole.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
At some point he's going to retire so why are people acting like this would mark the end of the world? Like yeah, he defined multiple generations, but it was never going to be forever.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
I have a strong feeling a lot of people thinking Mario sounds different is that they're hearing the flowers speak and assuming it was Mario. I had the same initial reaction watching the direct live like "wait, who was that?", and then rewatching it saw it was just the flowers in the background.

Jul 27, 2020
Martinet has been doing his voice for about 30 years, his voice has definitely changed, he's not gonna sound like SM64 anymore.. Nintendo would have said something if not.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If anything Nintendo seems to really want every sounds and voice in Wonder to be new. Maybe Martinet is just doing something a little different to match.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it seems like it's split between "it's just new recordings" and "is a new guy". I really can't tell.

I noticed his Twitter has been awfully quiet since March, but on the other hand I can't imagine they would change it out of the blue without saying anything.

I just don't know.
Martinet will be at a con I'm attending tomorrow.

I could ask him then

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
That's most definitely Martinet. It's just that these are the first new clips we've heard in a while so they do sound different due to Martinet aging.

This is just the typical Arlo fearmongering. His videos have become so clickbaity as of late it's annoying.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe anyone actually thinks they're going to pay a movie megastar like Chris Pratt to do a bunch of whoops and unfs in this game. It sounds way, way less like him than it does Martinet.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The more I watch the Wonder trailer, the more I'm convinced it's definitely him.

Hey man, that'd be great, let him know the internet is freaking out a bit. 😝
He may be under NDA for all I know. I remember he at TooManyGames right after the Mario movie cast was announced and at his panel he said he was sworn to secrecy and could not talk about it

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I have a strong feeling a lot of people thinking Mario sounds different is that they're hearing the flowers speak and assuming it was Mario. I had the same initial reaction watching the direct live like "wait, who was that?", and then rewatching it saw it was just the flowers in the background.

This is my take as well. I read through the entire thread before posting the same thing because I didn't want to redundant, but I'm surprised you're the only one who has said this.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
This seems more like whiplash from hearing Mario say something different from "Wahoo!" and "It's-a me, Mario!" Nintendo loves reusing old voice lines.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Mario is 100%, zero question Martinet

Wario sounds a bit weird, but theres a chance it was just a bad take? Maybe they will go in and re-record it before release?

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wario Ware Gold was still Charles Martinet doe
Did you click the video at all?

Let's go through the conversation again
-Garou suggested that the Wario voice line in the direct is the announcer / narrator of the direct, pointing to the Japanese direct and Wario's voice being completely different from the English voice we heard in the English direct
-I post a video that Wario in the Japanese version of the Made in Wario series games has had a Japanese voice for a while now and that the voice in the cutscene is the same voice as the voice in the Japanese direct clip. This shows that it is not unusual that Wario's voice in the Japanese Direct to not be Martinet as Wario's had a Japanese voice when referring to the Made in Wario series for a while now. So while I don't believe at all Martinet has been replaced, pointing to the Japanese direct not featuring him is not evidence that he hasn't
-For some reason, you tell me that Charles Martinet voiced Wario in Wario Ware Gold's English version when only the Japanese version was being mentioned

Here's a full playthrough of the Japanese version of Wario Ware Gold "doe", timestamped to Wario talking mid-game. This is Hironori Kondo voicing Wario

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYCBGKCevl8&t=764s

Status
Not open for further replies.