Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope the Wario one is just bad direction/delivery because it does sound terrible. I didn't notice it during the direct because I was working and didn't pay attention. I hope Martinet is still doing the voices, dude is awesome.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Won't be long before the voice is fully AI generated anyway. Martinet is Awful
XS5LK.gif

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What the hell? Mario sounds about the same. Arlo and awful takes seem to go hand in hand lately.
only a question of time for the silly blue hand puppet casually mentioning "every opinion matters" about something incredibly racist and going from there!
don't say I didn't warn you

I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic myself now that I think abou it

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Wario sounds the same. I think it's probably the characters saying new words/new recordings that are throwing people off. I think this is a case of looking too hard at something and seeing/hearing what yuo want to hear.

Videogamebear

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not hearing the difference on this… and I thought for wario ware it was just the actual video narrator himself having fun voicing wario (typical goofy Nintendo style humour!)

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Mario's "wowee zowee" sounds maybe a little weird, but is easy to chalk up to Martinet just not sounding exactly the same as always. The "Wonderful!" clip and the Wario clip both sound pretty majorly off to me though.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It just sounded like newly recorded voice lines to me. I did hear something different in it, though.

I think my initial impression was that Nintendo was allowing for more leeway in the performance or improvisation (away from 'Let's-a-go!'), perhaps as a response to the Super Mario movie. Like 'this one is all you Charles - go for it'.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
They brought this up in the Good vibes gaming discussion. While they think it's still Charles Martinet they also wouldn't be surprised if he's replaced

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario saying "wowee zowee" feels like it's pretty clearly Martinet, that was a phrase he used in Luigi's Mansion 3 and I assume that stuff is commonly ad libbed.

Mario's been operating on so many stock sounds in so many games since the 2010s that it's refreshing to hear some new lines. He kind of sounds reinvigorated here in a way. I'm really curious what these people would say hearing Mario back in the late-aughts era of Mario; Martinet must've voiced Galaxy and Brawl while having a really bad throat because it does not sound like him in those games more than it does here.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
The Wowee Zowee absolutely is Martinet. No question.

I'm 95% sure that the "Wonderful!" isn't Mario speaking but just something that happens when you get a Wonder Seed in the Japanese version of the game that just doesn't happen in the NA version. Was it there in the EU version? Wouldn't be the first time an effect like that would be missing.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The Wowee Zowee absolutely is Martinet. No question.

I'm 95% sure that the "Wonderful!" isn't Mario speaking but just something that happens when you get a Wonder Seed in the Japanese version of the game that just doesn't happen in the NA version. Was it there in the EU version? Wouldn't be the first time an effect like that would be missing.
Yes this is pretty much it

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely doesn't sound like Martinet. I noticed it right away when I first saw the trailer. I don't know how anyone isn't hearing the clear difference.

It is possible that his voice just sounds really different in these recordings for one reason or another, but at this point it sounds different enough to me that I think it's a different voice actor altogether.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread made me wonder how old he was and I thought "he's gotta be like 80 now" but he's only 67.

That said, it's possible he's just getting older and the voices he does are changing with him.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Mario sounds like Martinet, the "wowie zowie!" sounds very similar to newer voice lines he's done for Mario Kart Tour

Wario sounds way off, though. Wario always seemed like a voice that would kinda… hurt to do for long periods. Between 64 to Switch, Wario has had his gravel reduced, probably because it gets hard to do. It may not be Martinet doing it if it's hard for him now to do the voice over long sentences

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
No way Nintendo would replace him like that without saying anything. I think when Martinet retires or is replaced, they would at the very least be doing an announcement video, a nice highlight reel of his work, thanking him for work as well the way he interacted with fans over the years.

Unless they're slowly integrating AI work based on his voice and don't feel the need to say anything, but that seems very un-Nintendo.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The Mario Bros. Wonder soundclips sound a bit distorted, but I think that's on purpose to underline that somewhat otherworldly wonderland feel.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Charles is pushing 70 and games outside of Luigi's mansion 3 and Super Mario Odyssey featured recycled voice clips so I can understand the confusion.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Mario sounds fine. It doesn't help that quite a lot of Mario games recycle voice clips that are old, unless it's a new mainline title. Mario sounds totally fine in arlo's video.

It just looks like twitter drama that got out of hand and YouTubers are jumping to cover it.

It's just that they had Charles record new voice lines for Mario, and that he's getting up there in age likely might have slightly changed his delivery, that only diehard Mario fans and Nintendo YouTubers are going to maybe notice.

It's a nothingburger for me, even if the voice was changed, Mario sounds fine.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Mario doesn't sound like Charles but it's close enough. Especially if it seems like Nintendo wants to bring in more voice acting.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Mario is clearly Charles and Wario is clearly the announcer talking over the game as a joke. This is a nothingburger.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I have a suspicion as Mario becomes an even BIGGER media property that Nintendo is going to have him "talk" more in games and they will need to get a consistent voice across the different mediums.

Mickey Mouse sounds the same in everything, as an example.

Not sure on these games though, although I will say I did think Mario sounded a little different when watching the first time.

And all that being said, Martinet must be close to 70. There will be a Mario game in the not so distant future where he has retired and there will be a new voice actor, irregardless of any brand decisions they make about Mario.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Mario sounds exactly like Martinet. That Arlo video is REACHING.

Martinet also changed Wario's voice quite a while ago to be deeper, especially after Waluigi was introduced. He's had a deep voice ever since Brawl. Wario sounds like Martinet to me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.