• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever played a Persona 3 game before?

• Yes! I have played a different version of Persona 3 in the past!

Votes: 898 68.6%
  • No! Persona 3 Reload will be my first time experiencing Persona 3!

Votes: 411 31.4%

• Total voters

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I disagree with the narrator for this one.
"It wasn't easy, but..."

It was totally easy. Fuuka is broken. Flat out just broken. The bosses got, what, two turns each as they got Press-turn, Shift, All-Out Attacked to death.

Being able to reveal all weaknesses and resistances seems really, really strong. No more fishing for weaknesses on a strong enemy, just ask Fuuka, then use that element. Not like she doesn't have SP to spare, it's only 35 SP and the game remembers weaknesses per enemy type.

Is she really as much of a game-changer as I think she is? Just that one ability makes her seem amazing.
She does that in the original too. Except it wasn't an ability, she just does it when you analyse an enemy. Granted, it did used to take a full turn but yeah.

Yeah if anything they NERFED Fuuka here in Reload. Now she has an SP limit for how many enemies she can scan per Tartarus run, and it still takes a full turn. You can restore her SP, but are you gonna spend SP restoration items on that? ;)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah if anything they NERFED Fuuka here in Reload. Now she has an SP limit for how many enemies she can scan per Tartarus run, and it still takes a full turn. You can restore her SP, but are you gonna spend SP restoration items on that? ;)

you use her theurgy that recharges super fast and recover 150 sp to everyone instead and save her sp to use her full party wide buff before every big battle. outside of analysis fuuka got mad buffs

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, she can use it on bosses now but like, it doesn't really matter since bosses tend not have weaknesses anyway.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you use her theurgy that recharges super fast and recover 150 sp to everyone instead and save her sp to use her full party wide buff before every big battle. outside of analysis fuuka got mad buffs

I was talking specifically the analysis ability. Her Theurgy isn't guaranteed to restore SP anyhow. I've had it give other buffs more time than restore SP.

I guess expecting Atlus to ever fix the issues with the PC port is a bit much.

I hope so. There's a lot of issues with it. Borderless Windowed mode is kinda broken right now. :\

It'll probably take a month or so before we get a patch, however.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking specifically the analysis ability. Her Theurgy isn't guaranteed to restore SP anyhow. I've had it give other buffs more time than restore SP.

I hope so. There's a lot of issues with it. Borderless Windowed mode is kinda broken right now. :\

It'll probably take a month or so before we get a patch, however.
The UI just looks so bad at any resolution higher than 1080p that it's stopping me from touching the game right now. Which is a shame because P3 is my favourite in the series and I've been looking forward to this a lot.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

if you use the buff spell before a battle i think it forces the theurgy to be sp recovery. or i just got lucky every time i tried

also i laughed when the kitty you give food for the elizabeth quest ends up being one of the missing "persons" in tartarus

Last edited:

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
The UI just looks so bad at any resolution higher than 1080p that it's stopping me from touching the game right now. Which is a shame because P3 is my favourite in the series and I've been looking forward to this a lot.

I am being pessimistic but I really doubt they will fix this any time soon. It will be months probably. A mod that addresses the issue will probably come out first.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's official. I actively dislike the soundtrack for this game.

I haven't played the original so it's not an issue with the re-recordings; I just don't like the music. It was fine for the first few hours, but most of these tracks have already worn well past their welcome. Some of them are painfully repetitive.

Not sure what to do tbh because music is super important in a hundred hour rpg, and playing with Spotify doesn't fit the mood at all. I don't wanna drop it because I loved Persona 5 and know there's stuff I'd enjoy here, but this is rough...

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Hot tips/hopefully helpful observations:

Twilight fragments you "use" after unlocking the catch-up mechanic will carry over to future Tartarus runs. So the number you need to use does not reset every night. If you just dumped 7 into the clock before your last boss before leaving, that amount you dumped carries over to the next night you come back!

Elizabeth will eventually? tell you about floors with more twilight fragments. Hit these up after you get the major arcana that doubles your items so you get double fragments.

If you ask Elizabeth about missing people she will tell you about missing cats! Each cat you find = more twilight fragments. These are not part of the official missing persons, so you have to manually ask her about "missing people".

Asking her about "missing people" will also trigger her to tell you about the floors with fragments.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Just beat the game at 45 hours, fantastic remake all around.
The ending itself still makes me cry, I only experienced P3 through the movies but damn it still hit hard

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this 3rd boss being tough, but wow it's kicking my ass right now on Merciless. Getting healed/buffed by my party constantly.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this 3rd boss being tough, but wow it's kicking my ass right now on Merciless. Getting healed/buffed by my party constantly.

The The Hierophant and Lover? Yeah, the second one kicked my ass. I went in with Mitsuru the first time. Really bad idea. Yukari and Junpei were the MVPs. They can build up Theurgy super fast in this fight. You need lots of charm remedies for the second one. I also noticed it will heal almost all it's HP after a certain point. So don't go all out until it does that.

I was super underleveled. MC lv25 and others in the 22~24 range.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
So I did the 7/7 boss tonight and I understand why some folks say the game opens up at that point. I've liked the core gameplay loop before, but that is the story hook the game desperately needed for me to not put it down at 27 hours.

Feb 16, 2022
So I did the 7/7 boss tonight and I understand why some folks say the game opens up at that point. I've liked the core gameplay loop before, but that is the story hook the game desperately needed for me to not put it down at 27 hours.
Remind me again what story hook happened after the 7/7 boss? I remember the boss fights but I don't remember the story getting any big revelations at that point in the original games

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It was like that in the original too, but it really feels that way in Reload because June/July is where the game opens up even more compared to the original.

Remind me again what story hook happened after the 7/7 boss? I remember the boss fights but I don't remember the story getting any big revelations at that point in the original games

It's where Yukari confronts Mitsuru about the Dark Hour and Tartarus, and the Kirijo Group's involvement in it all. Cue lots of backstory. After which it's revealed there's a way to end the Dark Hour, and a large amount of contemplating from the cast happens at once.

Feb 16, 2022
It's where Yukari confronts Mitsuru about the Dark Hour and Tartarus, and the Kirijo Group's involvement in it all. Cue lots of backstory. After which it's revealed there's a way to end the Dark Hour, and a large amount of contemplating from the cast happens at once.
Thanks, I only remember those happening during the upcoming beach trip lol, I guess my memory failed me

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Did/are any of you following the 100% guide?

Have you run into roadblocks with the tarturas trips? The first forart in requiring reaching floor 22 seems like way to fucking hard for having next to zero items or equipment for how early it is

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I only remember those happening during the upcoming beach trip lol, I guess my memory failed me

The beach trip is like two weeks after the initial set of reveals in the dorm where Yukari calls out Mitsuru, once you complete the exams. At which point even more details are revealed and stuff, and Yukari's father becomes a significant plot point.

Feb 16, 2022
The beach trip is like two weeks after the initial set of reveals in the dorm where Yukari calls out Mitsuru, once you complete the exams. At which point even more details are revealed and stuff, and Yukari's father becomes a significant plot point.
Thanks, it's been a while. Coming up for me now so I'll experience it again myself soon, currently at 7/2 last I left off.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, it's been a while. Coming up for me now so I'll experience it again myself soon, currently at 7/2 last I left off.

I'm just about at the beach trip myself, at 22 hours played on hard mode. Can't wait to get there because AIGIS and I'd love to sit here and gush and write massive essays about my favorite Persona character.

But I fear if I wrote a massive multi-page essay you might all be scared after that. Or in awe. Or both.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I always love a good squad up scene, new uniforms are sick

Feb 16, 2022
I'm just about at the beach trip myself, at 22 hours played on hard mode. Can't wait to get there because AIGIS and I'd love to sit here and gush and write massive essays about my favorite Persona character.

But I fear if I wrote a massive multi-page essay you might all be scared after that. Or in awe. Or both.
Do it

I'm excited too, Aigis is awesome

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Question, did the pc version get a patch today for cleaning up the menu? I haven't played in a day or two and just added a mod before I turned it on but it shouldn't have affected that directly. Unless of course the game was patched or it did help with it.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017

I haven't played the original so it's not an issue with the re-recordings; I just don't like the music. It was fine for the first few hours, but most of these tracks have already worn well past their welcome. Some of them are painfully repetitive.

Not sure what to do tbh because music is super important in a hundred hour rpg, and playing with Spotify doesn't fit the mood at all. I don't wanna drop it because I loved Persona 5 and know there's stuff I'd enjoy here, but this is rough...

Would the Persona 5 BGM DLC for P3R help? I personally miss the Persona 3 Portable versions of the tracks, and especially the feMC exclusives.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Really enjoying my time with this but man i wish they had put some time into reworking these social links. Feels pretty much identical to FES/P3P.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
No patch. What mods are you using?
This mod here https://gamebanana.com/mods/494137
Only the fps version so it can't be this.

www.nexusmods.com

SSR Only Instead RT Reflections

Using SSR only instead of RT Reflections, the game by default using RT Reflections Combined with SSR
And this one here.

I also turn the shadow resolution up but neither of these should affect the menu. I'm also using DLDSR on my 1440p monitor to 4k but that never did anything for the menu anyway.

I actually think the menu looks way better now it's a trip.

Jul 14, 2023
To those who are pretty deep into the game (ie past July), what are the most substantial differences between FES and Reload? I already played through FES a while back and have thought about getting Reload, so I'm curious as to what the biggest changes are between the two versions.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do it

I'm excited too, Aigis is awesome

You asked. :p

It's too late for a full essay but... for anyone still playing Persona 3 Reload, don't click if you don't want to be completely spoiled.

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but Persona 3 is a game about death, and how people react to death and loss. It's all over Persona 3's DNA. The original game's opening had "Memento Mori" and "Remember that you will die" all over it. Almost all the social links are all people reacting to death and loss in some way or another. One character loses their ability to walk. Another loses their aunt. One loses their brother. Another deals with the loss of their father and estrangement to their mother. Out of all of the Persona games, it takes its theme and runs with it to the very end in a way the other games in the series don't even dare approach. The Dark Hour is a literal metaphor for those who have experienced death or loss in some manner or way; those who can no longer regain that innocence back.

So what makes Aigis so unique here is that she is essentially a representation of the game's central theme of death as seen through the eyes of a non-human character who, none the less, is very much a living being. To summon a Persona is to be a living being; not necessarily to be human. But you are alive. You live, you experience emotions, you can feel just as any human does, even if not necessarily in the same way, and you can die. Hence Koromaru, Teddie, and Morgana as well. Aigis is very much a living being, and much of the story is here coming to the fact that she is not merely a weapon or tool to be used. She may be more durable than her teammates, but if her Plume of Dusk is destroyed, she will die the same as them. The more the story progresses, the more she starts to value herself in this regard. In this sense, she also gains "humanity", although not in the literal sense. However, with understanding what it means to live, she also understands that it means she can experience death and loss like anyone else. And that's what the end of the game is about - her experience with losing someone so important to her for the first time. Given that we have Episode Aigis/The Answer, it's no understatement to say she takes it poorly.

And this ties into another fact - Aigis is actually the YOUNGEST member of SEES. She may appear to be a teenager, but she is in-fact a year younger the Ken. When she's introduced, she's only nine years old, becoming ten years old as the story progresses. She also has a fraction of the life experiences and maturity that he has. For all intents and purposes, the other members of SEES are basically raising a young girl who just also happens to be a child soldier (THANKS KIRIJO GROUP) with access to ChatGPT for the entire game. So like many other children, it's not surprising she doesn't quite understand life and death as concepts at first, why it hits her so hard in the later parts of the game, and why she is so desperately trying to understand it during the later parts of the story. Because she's really way in over her head as a person, even if she's really good as an "anti-shadow weapon." The more the story goes on, the more she gets traumatized too, especially with all the plot twists too.

TLDR: The Kirijo group, sans Mitsuru and her father, are all monsters and Aigis is a precious little girl who should be protected at all costs. Unless you're fighting Shadows, in which case, let her do her thing.

The Answer, AKA Episode Aegis in Japan, is basically what happens when you take a 10 year old girl, dump all the trauma in the world, and suddenly she dissociates because she can no longer handle it after a year or whatever. The fact that Aigis is the most affected by the protagonist's death, yet suddenly seems fine and unimpacted is a clear sign that Really Bad Things™ are happening to her. But of course, nobody in SEES is a trained therapist. Much less trained in therapy for young robot girls. And this being Persona, it's a given that your literal split personality representing your grief, anger, and despair must try to kill everyone as a result. Everyone in SEES basically really needed a therapist after the end of the game, but Aigis (and Yukari for that matter) needed it the most.

I'm going to bed. Goodnight. Hope everyone's enjoying Persona 3 Reload as much as I am.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

It's too late for a full essay but... for anyone still playing Persona 3 Reload, don't click if you don't want to be completely spoiled.

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but Persona 3 is a game about death, and how people react to death and loss. It's all over Persona 3's DNA. The original game's opening had "Memento Mori" and "Remember that you will die" all over it. Almost all the social links are all people reacting to death and loss in some way or another. One character loses their ability to walk. Another loses their aunt. One loses their brother. Another deals with the loss of their father and estrangement to their mother. Out of all of the Persona games, it takes its theme and runs with it to the very end in a way the other games in the series don't even dare approach. The Dark Hour is a literal metaphor for those who have experienced death or loss in some manner or way; those who can no longer regain that innocence back.

So what makes Aigis so unique here is that she is essentially a representation of the game's central theme of death as seen through the eyes of a non-human character who, none the less, is very much a living being. To summon a Persona is to be a living being; not necessarily to be human. But you are alive. You live, you experience emotions, you can feel just as any human does, even if not necessarily in the same way, and you can die. Hence Koromaru, Teddie, and Morgana as well. Aigis is very much a living being, and much of the story is here coming to the fact that she is not merely a weapon or tool to be used. She may be more durable than her teammates, but if her Plume of Dusk is destroyed, she will die the same as them. The more the story progresses, the more she starts to value herself in this regard. In this sense, she also gains "humanity", although not in the literal sense. However, with understanding what it means to live, she also understands that it means she can experience death and loss like anyone else. And that's what the end of the game is about - her experience with losing someone so important to her for the first time. Given that we have Episode Aigis/The Answer, it's no understatement to say she takes it poorly.

And this ties into another fact - Aigis is actually the YOUNGEST member of SEES. She may appear to be a teenager, but she is in-fact a year younger the Ken. When she's introduced, she's only nine years old, becoming ten years old as the story progresses. She also has a fraction of the life experiences and maturity that he has. For all intents and purposes, the other members of SEES are basically raising a young girl who just also happens to be a child soldier (THANKS KIRIJO GROUP) with access to ChatGPT for the entire game. So like many other children, it's not surprising she doesn't quite understand life and death as concepts at first, why it hits her so hard in the later parts of the game, and why she is so desperately trying to understand it during the later parts of the story. Because she's really way in over her head as a person, even if she's really good as an "anti-shadow weapon." The more the story goes on, the more she gets traumatized too, especially with all the plot twists too.

TLDR: The Kirijo group, sans Mitsuru and her father, are all monsters and Aigis is a precious little girl who should be protected at all costs. Unless you're fighting Shadows, in which case, let her do her thing.

The Answer, AKA Episode Aegis in Japan, is basically what happens when you take a 10 year old girl, dump all the trauma in the world, and suddenly she dissociates because she can no longer handle it after a year or whatever. The fact that Aigis is the most affected by the protagonist's death, yet suddenly seems fine and unimpacted is a clear sign that Really Bad Things™ are happening to her. But of course, nobody in SEES is a trained therapist. Much less trained in therapy for young robot girls. And this being Persona, it's a given that your literal split personality representing your grief, anger, and despair must try to kill everyone as a result. Everyone in SEES basically really needed a therapist after the end of the game, but Aigis (and Yukari for that matter) needed it the most.

I'm going to bed. Goodnight. Hope everyone's enjoying Persona 3 Reload as much as I am.

This was a nice, cozy read. Excellent work. :3

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
This mod here https://gamebanana.com/mods/494137
Only the fps version so it can't be this.

www.nexusmods.com

SSR Only Instead RT Reflections

Using SSR only instead of RT Reflections, the game by default using RT Reflections Combined with SSR
And this one here.

I also turn the shadow resolution up but neither of these should affect the menu. I'm also using DLDSR on my 1440p monitor to 4k but that never did anything for the menu anyway.

I actually think the menu looks way better now it's a trip.

You do kind of get use to it...

Yeah, but I looked through the comments in that mod and the author said they still have not identified the issue with the low res menus. I'm sure modders will fix it way before Atlus puts out a patch (if they ever do).

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
The The Hierophant and Lover? Yeah, the second one kicked my ass. I went in with Mitsuru the first time. Really bad idea. Yukari and Junpei were the MVPs. They can build up Theurgy super fast in this fight. You need lots of charm remedies for the second one. I also noticed it will heal almost all it's HP after a certain point. So don't go all out until it does that.

I was super underleveled. MC lv25 and others in the 22~24 range.

I beat it with much less trouble this time around, getting a Pale Rider with some strength at the arcade the night before, like 20 dis-charms, and not bringing the one you said because of her weakness. I even bought 4 rings to resist the condition that apparently were useless for this fight because it is applied anyway. Also everyone was around lvl 23 including MC for the fight so that didn't help.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
You do kind of get use to it...

Yeah, but I looked through the comments in that mod and the author said they still have not identified the issue with the low res menus. I'm sure modders will fix it way before Atlus puts out a patch (if they ever do).
The difference was after I added the SSR one. Granted I know how bad it looked and it stayed that way. This definitely did something. Personas look way better than they did before. I can't see any aliasing. The MC still has some but it's definitely not as bad. Not only that but the actual font looks sharper as well.

Feb 16, 2022

Yeah that was a nice read, agreed on all counts. Aigis is a character that I appreciate more as I grow up and replay the games!

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Also, the protagonist has grown on me incredibly quickly. It took a little bit for me to warm up to P4's after being so enamored with Joker but I've been very pleasantly surprised by how distinct this one already feels.

This is going to sound very strange, but I find the protag in this one more bland than how he was in P3 FES.

I dunno why, and I wish I could explain my reasons behind it, but I'm not seeing much there compared to quickly I picked up on how cheeky Joker in P5 was.

In P3 Fes, I instantly noticed Makoto's vibe, but something about this game just makes it go over my head.

I wish I could see it in this game too D=

Maybe it's the art style? I don't know.

Mische

Jun 12, 2023
Hot tips/hopefully helpful observations:

Twilight fragments you "use" after unlocking the catch-up mechanic will carry over to future Tartarus runs. So the number you need to use does not reset every night. If you just dumped 7 into the clock before your last boss before leaving, that amount you dumped carries over to the next night you come back!

So wait, are you saying that once you get to that point you can spend Twilight Fragments in the clock for the catch up mechanic, you can do it once and never again to reap the benefits? That seems kind of busted. Or is it more like you can put the fragments in the clock to use later but after you use it you need to pay again?

Last edited:

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland

Now that's something I never felt like.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I finished the story after 65 hours. Man, that ending is still a sucker punch in the feels.

Persona 3 Reload was much closer to PS2 Persona 3 than I expected. I came into this thinking it was Persona 5 with the Persona 3 story slapped on. In reality, it's more like a slightly enhanced version of the original PS2 game. Not that it's a bad thing. On some level, I wished they were a bit more adventurous with the changes they made, but overall it is an excellent remake for those who loved Persona 3 and those getting into the series.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I've been putting off gourmet king for the longest time and now that nobody else is available... 😫

I would skip his dialogue if he didn't have Rindo's voice.
The moonwalk was pretty good tho.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I started playing last night and while I don't hate the soundtrack I'm being mightily tempted by the Persona 5 Royal BGM pack. I might be biased by how much I love that music already though lol