• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly looking at the rumored BOM of $450 and the fact they were targeting a build cost less than that before RAM prices went up earlier this year tells me they aren't cutting price to $399 for DE but raising price by $100 for the physical edition.

Which further drives my idea that ~$400 was the target BOM and that a $399 DE isn't them selling at a greater loss on the DE but actually getting a profit or breaking even on the $499 PE.

Just seems to me everyone is applying X series loss math to PS5 when all rumors pointed to PS5 being cheaper to build than XSX. Add in the fact that Sony is making one SOC for both consoles and using essentially the same shell and the economies of scale grow further in their favor.

TL,DR: I don't prescribe to the idea Sony is losing a lot of money or any at all at $499 and the PS5 was designed for a target price of $399. Leaving the DE to have about the same loss per console as PS4 did at launch.
Now we're getting somewhere.

They are trying to take less of a hit on the disc version. They probably could get away with making it $479. Bloomberg had $470 for the retail price when they mentioned $450 for the BOM.

Many of us have been saying this. Let's see what happens Wed...

F that, what price will the DualSense be?

I say $79.99

I saw a post in the XGS OT about the new Xbox controller price possibly being $69. They are both gonna make their money back on accessory prices. Let's hope its $79.99, lol.
El Corte Inglés (big retailer in Spain) confirming again the rumoured price points

Eh3JBbqWkAUsyJG

Let's get it. Let's do this.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
I guess we will see. They way they have set up the rest of the gods, I 100% expect Kratos to die a martyr and a hero in the game's perspective and for the past to not matter at all just like in the 2018 game it has zero material consequences. I personally think telling the standard heroes journey with such a character is a waste but that is clearly subjective (and the minority opinion since people love the story). And using mythology to tell a heroes journey is the most boring interpretation of mythology which thrives in moral conundrum.
If anything, I'd see Kratos more as an antihero than anything else. And I think we'll see his past create conflict in the next game, once he has to explain to Atreus what he did back in Greece and the conflict with Thor and the rest of the Norse Gods starts.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I was never big on VR (as in: I have no interest in VR gaming), but after reading up on it I have to say, I'm interested in what Sony can come up with for PSVR2. As far as I can tell, the tech has been advancing pretty rapidly and prices for mid range VR have pretty much fallen off a cliff in the last few years.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I didn't know that the disc game cut is 20%.
No clue why people say then that a 30% cut for digital content is to high then, it is a 10% retailer cut...
The retailer cut is way above than that. In France, the physical games are, at least, 25% cheaper than digital (can be more with coupon). And selling at a loss is forbidden.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Do you expect $50 difference between the 2 SKUs?

I'm expecting $399 and $499 now that XSX is priced at $499 Sony can sell PS5 at same price and not get much blow back. I did vote in the poll though for $399 and $449 for the pricing due to how I interpret the BOM and what I would do if I was in charge of Sony.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The retailer cut is way above than that. In France, the physical games are, at least, 25% cheaper than digital (can be more with coupon). And selling at a loss is forbidden.

I was talking about the retailer cut from the PSN Store (retailer), the store takes 30%, that is 10% more then the "license" cut of 20% for PlayStation.
That is just based of numbers i heard.
I'm sure game retailers take a bigger cut, you see 10% off offers all the time.

Retailer cuts are %20 and usually retailers will make games cheaper and get a smaller cut so you buy from them etc.

Yes, that is why i don't understand all this 30% is to high talk, they just take a retail cut of 10%.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect $100 difference and 399 & 499 where the ps5 breaks even and DE sold at a loss of $60-70, but if BOM Did decrease to the point of $400 then I can see them aking say a $30 loss I can see them hitting 399 for PS5 in which case it is not reasonable for them to launch DE at $299 as that would essentially be $100 loss, if that makes sense?

Either way they are going to give us a $399 figure as the headline price.
I'm expecting $399 and $499 now that XSX is priced at $499 Sony can sell PS5 at same price and not get much blow back. I did vote in the poll though for $399 and $449 for the pricing due to how I interpret the BOM and what I would do if I was in charge of Sony.
Why would Sony match Microsoft though when they can beat it twice?

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
iboshow Do you have a source for 20% cut on physical for Sony? Google search says it is 11.5% but from a 2006 article. 20% seems way too high to me, no way Sony/MS take that much per physical copy...

www.forbes.com

Why Gears Of War Costs $60

Videogames are more expensive than ever. Yet publishers aren't getting rich--yet.

Edit: Another recent source says $7 per $60 game for the platform, so it is not 20%.

gamerant.com

Video Game Prices: Why Games Are $60, Where Your Money Goes, & Who Benefits Most

Video game prices hover around $60, but the reasons are a mystery to the average gamer. We're breaking down video game prices to better understand how they work.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Getting worried by how many places are reporting XVI will be at the Wednesday event, feels like it's not going to be there

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017

These things are all about perception and how you view it.

1) Don't want PS5 appear to be any less than XSX. Same reason I feel they wouldn't price the DE at $299 because some might get the impression XSS and DE are both weaker than their more expensive counter parts.

2) They could feel $499 maximizes sales, profit and inventory management

All of these points can viewed the other way also just offering possible perspectives.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iboshow Do you have a source for 20% cut on physical for Sony? Google search says it is 11.5% but from a 2006 article. 20% seems way too high to me, no way Sony/MS take that much per physical copy...

www.forbes.com

Why Gears Of War Costs $60

Videogames are more expensive than ever. Yet publishers aren't getting rich--yet.

Edit: Another recent source says $7 per $60 game for the platform, so it is not 20%.

gamerant.com

Video Game Prices: Why Games Are $60, Where Your Money Goes, & Who Benefits Most

Video game prices hover around $60, but the reasons are a mystery to the average gamer. We're breaking down video game prices to better understand how they work.
From ubisoft
www.resetera.com

Ubisioft: Retail game margins are 55% (vs 70% digital), Sony/MS/Nintendo take $12 in COGS per game

25% is the retailer's margin ($15 at $60, $5 at $20). 20% is the licensing fee + cost of goods from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for making a retail game ($12, and from previous conversations with industry figures, this is static regardless what you're charging). By comparison, it's a flat 30% with...

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
From ubisoft
www.resetera.com

Ubisioft: Retail game margins are 55% (vs 70% digital), Sony/MS/Nintendo take $12 in COGS per game

25% is the retailer's margin ($15 at $60, $5 at $20). 20% is the licensing fee + cost of goods from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for making a retail game ($12, and from previous conversations with industry figures, this is static regardless what you're charging). By comparison, it's a flat 30% with...
Interesting. Thanks.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
I'm kind of hoping that Returnal is closer to complete than planned, and can fill in the slot left by Kena's delay. I really enjoy Housemarque games, and I'm very intrigued by Returnal. Really funny to me, since I originally dismissed it until I realized it was a Housemarque game. At this point, I think I've bought every Housemarque PlayStation title on launch. XD

Although, considering that I haven't sunk much time into Alienation, I might just treat that as my PS5 Housemarque launch title, and actually play more of it. Really fun game, and Dead Nation was a blast back in the day. Me and my ex-wife played the shit out of that one.
2021 probably.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Because Sony doesn't want to beat MS just for the sake of it. Beating means losing money.

The correct question is, what price can Sony ask to sell well for the foreseeable future. And I can definitely see that by matching XSX price point.

Anyway, I'm really excited to see the prices, because 3 options seem similarly possible to me. 499/399, 499/449 and 449/399 all have their unique pros and cons.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing the closer we get to the event, the more beans will be spilled. Jason, Zhuge etc should be dropping some more hints very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.