• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know if it's thread worthy or if I can handle an OT, I made it just so people can shut DualSense threads down quickly.

It seems worth a thread since people have been wondering which games will actually take advantage of the DS. The thread in general would be a good way of keeping track of games that support it, so people who ask about it can be directed toward it.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
DualSense™ |OT| Adaptive Trigger WARNING!

List of supported games

• Astro's Playroom -- Showcase game for the DualSense, expected to tackle all new features in innovative ways. Source.
  • Avengers -- The developers plan to support features like the Adaptive Triggers (AT) and Haptic Feedback (HF). Source.
  • NBA 2K21 -- AT simulate energy/fatigue and HF highlights collisions. Source.
  • The Pathless -- AT simulate the tension of the bowstring and HF helps with the timing of shots. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered -- Supports AT and HF. Source.
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition -- Supports AT (L2) and HF has different sensations for different weapons. Source.
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm -- AT simulate struggle. Source.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War -- Supports HF. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales -- HF showcases the Venom powers of Miles. Source.
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat -- Developers tease DualSense features. Source.
  • Ride 4 -- AT simulate gas and brake levers and HF showcases the vehicle's vibrations. Source.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- AT simulate multiple fire modes in weapons. Source.
  • Nour: Play With Your Food -- The developers plan to support features like the AT and HF. Source.
  • Deathloop -- AT block simulates weapon jam. Source.
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -- AT simulate recoil and HF offers "textured" nuances. Source.
  • Horizon Forbidden West -- AT is used to differentiate weapons. Source.
  • Demon's Souls -- HF showcases the force of bosses with a well-timed guard, gives feedback in well-timed parries and succesful attacks and spells. Source.
  • Godfall -- DualSense is utilized so the player can differentiate between weapons without looking at the UI and can locate enemies spatially via the controller. Source. More info.
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure -- AT simulate struggle as Sackboy carries objects. AT also present on the grappling hook. Source.
  • Gran Turismo 7 -- AT simulate ABS braking and HF is integrated with sound design. Source.
  • Hood: Outlaws & Legends -- The developers confirm full use of the HF. Source.
  • Heavenly Bodies -- Not gonna lie, it has a lot of things related to the DualSense, please give it a look. (Looks fun too!) Source.
  • Goodbye Volcano High -- HF conveys the difficulty of some decisions being made. Source.
  • Jett: The Far Shore -- The developers said the game has a strong focus on haptics. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Solar Ash -- The developers said the DualSense could give feedback they had not known was possible. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Bugsnax -- The developers promise the full use of DualSense features and say they are exploring multisensorial feedback, cites example of changes in terrain via HF. Source.
  • Maneater -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • DiRT 5 -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • Madden 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • FIFA 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
FAQ
  • Q: There's a broken source.
    • A: Contact me.
  • Q: Why would you dig through so many sites to do that?
    • A: I did it so you can throw it at every DualSense thread.
  • Q: That's it? All the games supported?
    • A: Really hard to say, if you see any game that supports the DualSense and it's not in the list feel free to contact me or add to the list yourself.
  • Q: That's cringe, you should go back to studying.
    • A: I know. I know.
Well done!! I see some third parties in there 👀

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely love post mortems. They're so damn informative, especially on the technical aspects of game design, and give me a lot to think about when designing gameplay experiences for players. I'm not a technical systems designer, but a lot of my work entails at least some level of technical understanding of how our gameplay systems work, and what it can and cannot do. I also love the Game Makers Toolkit series when it comes to looking at game design from a design perspective.
yeah it's really good stuff there. Also I like the game makers notebook podcast with Ted price from Insomniac. They had a pod on how ghosts came to be So much info lol.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras

List of supported games

• Astro's Playroom -- Showcase game for the DualSense, expected to tackle all new features in innovative ways. Source.
  • Avengers -- The developers plan to support features like the Adaptive Triggers (AT) and Haptic Feedback (HF). Source.
  • The Pathless -- AT simulate the tension of the bowstring and HF helps with the timing of shots. Source.
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition -- Supports AT (L2) and HF has different sensations for different weapons. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales -- HF showcases the Venom powers of Miles. Source.
  • Ride 4 -- AT simulate gas and brake levers and HF showcases the vehicle's vibrations. Source.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- AT simulate multiple fire modes in weapons. Source.
  • Nour: Play With Your Food -- The developers plan to support features like the AT and HF. Source.
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -- AT simulate recoil and HF offers "textured" nuances. Source.
  • Demon's Souls -- HF showcases the force of bosses with a well-timed guard, gives feedback in well-timed parries and succesful attacks and spells. Source.
  • Godfall -- DualSense is utilized so the player can differentiate between weapons without looking at the UI and can locate enemies spatially via the controller. Source. More info.
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure -- AT simulate struggle as Sackboy carries objects. AT also present on the grappling hook. Source.
  • Gran Turismo 7 -- AT simulate ABS braking and HF is integrated with sound design. Source.
  • Heavenly Bodies -- Not gonna lie, it has a lot of things related to the DualSense, please give it a look. (Looks fun too!) Source.
  • Goodbye Volcano High -- HF conveys the difficulty of some decisions being made. Source.
  • Jett: The Far Shore -- The developers said the game has a strong focus on haptics. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Solar Ash -- The developers said the DualSense could give feedback they had not known was possible. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Bugsnax -- The developers promise the full use of DualSense features and say they are exploring multisensorial feedback, cites example of changes in terrain via HF. Source.
FAQ
    • A: Really hard to say, if you see any game that supports the DualSense and it's not in the list feel free to contact me or add to the list yourself.
Thanks for the work it took you. The DualSense features are already more heavily supported compared to DS4.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch isn't that much more powerful than a Wii U, the big gain is that you can play BotW on the go

pretty much, which depending on your situation is more or less of a boon, i guess

bizarrely i almost never played it portable, just doesn't feel right. but that's also because the switch pro controller is so much better than the joycons it's honestly kind of an insult to my hands to even use the joycons at all

Oct 7, 2020
Italy

List of supported games

FAQ
EDIT: Nevermind, missed it on the list

Nov 8, 2017
The DualSense has every chance to be a real differentiator. I can't wait to see what it can bring to my games.
With it being so close to launch I guess I'll find out myself soon enough but I really want someone to share what it adds to game play. I want real personal impressions instead of the marketing. Jeff Keighley and the Japanese youtubers didn't do a good job with that or maybe the Japanese people did and I never saw those parts translated.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With it being so close to launch I guess I'll find out myself soon enough but I really want someone to share what it adds to game play. Jeff Keighley and the Japanese youtubers didn't do a good job with that or maybe the Japanese people did and I never saw those parts translated.

at the end of the day, the only person who will be able to judge haptics is you. everyone processes that shit differently - what might be really helpful for one person might be extremely distracting for another.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'd drop the "trigger warning" joke personally, that's super shitty.
Good list other than that though.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'd drop the "trigger warning" joke personally, that's super shitty.
Good list other than that though.
Thanks for the feedback, I was totally on the fence about the joke but I had no better one. I'll remove it.
Great work! That's help a lot. Maybe you could include Watch Dogs: Legion also: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...-unsupported-ots.306661/page-78#post-48970090
Done! Also added Returnal and Destruction AllStars.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
It sure is lmao. Gameplay can easily transcend generations. (how many people are screaming to have full BC) so this is why I'm laughing a bit at this convo when people talk about cross gen holding stuff back when many times year to year games have always had traditional gameplay elements.
Hell some people dont even know there were some PS1 games that were able to switch seamlessly from a in game rendered scene into game play.
This is why I keep asking pexpel to articulate all that they think is "held back" and all they can come up with is flying mounts, and I know under the hood there def will be some things de-scoped, but sometimes its not even a technical thing but a time constraint.
I agree so much with this. Good games are good games, period :) when I look back at my favourite games of this generation. None of them particularly re Invented the wheel. It's just constant refining of everything over the years by truly skilled developers. I think that's why I love Sony exclusives. On top of the themes and genres maturing over the years along with me :p each aspect of these game's is done to such a high level. God damn could you imagine how the general discourse today would be if we were being shown Bloodborne for the first time?! People would be up in arms hearing that the game spent most of its time being made whilst the ps4 was the main console and not the ps5! *Shudder*

I do worry that going forward, the general discussion on this site will be people referring to 150x zoomed screens of single frames of games. Technical analysis of imperceivable things and a whole load of faux concern :D every little thing is going to be picked apart. And it's not like a lot of people actually play games on this site haha, so people are going to have a whole load of ammo in a few weeks!

It is nice having threads like this where positivity is at the forefront that's for sure.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DualSense™ |OT| Touch Your Dreams

List of supported games

• Returnal -- AT switch between firing modes, supports HF. Source.
  • Watch Dogs: Legion -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Destruction AllStars -- AT gives different feedback for each car and HF simulates the impact of ramming. Source.
FAQ
Thanks for compiling all of this! :)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree so much with this. Good games are good games, period :) when I look back at my favourite games of this generation. None of them particularly re Invented the wheel. It's just constant refining of everything over the years by truly skilled developers. I think that's why I love Sony exclusives. On top of the themes and genres maturing over the years along with me :p each aspect of these game's is done to such a high level. God damn could you imagine how the general discourse today would be if we were being shown Bloodborne for the first time?! People would be up in arms hearing that the game spent most of its time being made whilst the ps4 was the main console and not the ps5! *Shudder*

I do worry that going forward, the general discussion on this site will be people referring to 150x zoomed screens of single frames of games. Technical analysis of imperceivable things and a whole load of faux concern :D every little thing is going to be picked apart. And it's not like a lot of people actually play games on this site haha, so people are going to have a whole load of ammo in a few weeks!

It is nice having threads like this where positivity is at the forefront that's for sure.
if people are spending most of their time arguing this stuff that playing all the new stuff idek what to say at that point lol. yeah if you have to go that deep to see differences it really says a lot for how well designed the games are. As long as performance is solid and responsive I don't really care about power. I'm honestly way more excited about the immersion propositions with 3d audio and the controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
if people are spending most of their time arguing this stuff that playing all the new stuff idek what to say at that point lol. yeah if you have to go that deep to see differences it really says a lot for how well designed the games are. As long as performance is solid and responsive I don't really care about power. I'm honestly way more excited about the immersion propositions with 3d audio and the controllers.

I was all set to get the new Assassin's Creed on the XSX. And then I remembered the DualSense controller and the 3D audio. Definitely going to have to wait for an extensive breakdown for 3rd party gamss I want to play.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
www.resetera.com

DualSense™ |OT| Touch Your Dreams™ OT

The DualSense Features Haptic Feedback (HF): Refers to the two Voice Coil Actuators present on the DualSense, they are capable of a wide range of vibrations and are superior to the Rumble present on today's controllers. Adaptive Triggers (AT): Triggers that can create a variable resistance...

I made it and I'm really nervous tbh

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

List of supported games

• Destruction AllStars -- AT gives different feedback for each car and HF simulates the impact of ramming. Source.
FAQ

That's a pretty considerable amount of support thus far. Hopefully this keeps up.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I was all set to get the new Assassin's Creed on the XSX. And then I remembered the DualSense controller and the 3D audio. Definitely going to have to wait for an extensive breakdown for 3rd party gamss I want to play.
Yep. If performance is all equal. Stuff like the activities breaking games out for you and the new controller and audio(XSX does also support 3D too) its def gonna be interesting overall. Def are key differentiators

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. If performance is all equal. Stuff like the activities breaking games out for you and the new controller and audio(XSX does also support 3D too) its def gonna be interesting overall. Def are key differentiators
Yeah, the PS5 UI kinda sealed the deal for me. Activities looks to be game changing.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Spider-Man got tracks from boy1da and lecrae oh man. also hearing how they setup the soundtrack it sounds so good.
Yeah, the PS5 UI kinda sealed the deal for me. Activities looks to be game changing.
Yeah even minimal support will be helpful in ways also it seems like they set stuff up where devs can send new activities for people to discover as well.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
What is exactly the number of games that will lanch alongside the PS5 on November 12th ? Including third-party, cross-gen and stuff.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Studios |OT15| Compatible with 99% of Previous OTs (See threadmarks for list of unsupported OTs) OT

First-party: Astro's Playroom Demon's Souls Destruction All Stars Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Sackboy: A Big Adventure Console exclusives: Godfall Bugsnax The Pathless Third-party: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Borderlands 3 Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold...

Oct 25, 2017

Framerate aside, I would easily pass on superior graphics for better immersion via the DualSense and 3D Audio.

Really hoping Sony talks more about 3d audio in the weeks up to launch

And bloodborne BC :)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Framerate aside, I would easily pass on superior graphics for better immersion via the DualSense and 3D Audio.

Really hoping Sony talks more about 3d audio in the weeks up to launch

And bloodborne BC :)
I feel like all these updates weve seen recently on some games got res and frame rate unlocks. if BB gets a "stability" update maaan.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I CANNOT WAIT for miles. Oh man I just saw the texting video and everything and oh my goodness they just get it. They get Spider-Man!!!!! Idk how they did it but they do!!!! Yes!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

List of supported games

FAQ
Awesome stuff, can't wait to try the controller.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. The wait it getting worse n worse.

I've said this before.....Sony devs must know how to make some amazing looking cross gen games.
Yeah, I guess the balls in Horizon's court to show me something wrong, but Miles and Sackboy are impressing more than other cross gen games from other pubs.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
people always seem to think "random tuesday" means "every tuesday" and always wind up disappointed

tumblr_oi0eof72tI1qb4op4o1_500.gifv
I think we're just getting to the point where there's still a good bit of PS5 info we need, and PS5 is almost out, so we kind of expect news every week.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're just getting to the point where there's still a good bit of PS5 info we need, and PS5 is almost out, so we kind of expect news every week.

Right, but the assumption that Tuesday must be news day feels outdated considering Sony releases news whenever they want. People basically are letting a meme become real again.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but the assumption that Tuesday must be news day feels outdated considering Sony releases news whenever they want. People basically are letting a meme become real again.
For a long time, gaming news was traditionally on Tuesdays/ Thursdays, but yeah, last year or so, Sony has put out news on any day of hte week, hell, not even Saturdays are safe anymore.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Hellllll yes im getting all accessories the 30th except the charging dock.I get it on the 7th. From best buy

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Wish I could've gotten ahold of that PULSE 3D Wireless headset when it was available. :(

But hey, at least I've got my Digital Edition paid and being shipped directly from Sony. :D And I just preordered Miles Morales Ultimate Edition a couple minutes ago. Next Gen is starting to feel R E A L.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

"Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train" becomes biggest film to ever open in Japan ($44M); now #2 grossing JP film ever ($264.3M)

https://deadline.com/2020/10/demon-slayer-tenet-japan-china-global-international-box-office-1234599364/ Nothing stops this train *ba-dum!* EDIT: Now it's the 2nd highest grossing movie ever in Japan

original.gif

Coming out next year PS 4 exclusive -____________________-

Playstation and Aniplex needs to sort their synergies and release a ps5 sku and market the hottest thing in Japan currently
Yup.
Work together toward a properly enhanced PS5 version and then hype it up in Japan and outside too, Demon Slayer is a hot series right now.
They've finally been making some progress with Funimation able to now stream the Aniplex USA stuff including the exclusive dubs.
Now they really need to take more advantage of Aniplex properties with Playstation for more exclusive bigger anime games.

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
With the likelihood of me finding a PS5 this year is close to zero, I'm happy that Spider-Man MM is also on PS4. I'm just wondering will the character models look the same? I can't go back to Spider-Man 1 Miles Morales character model lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
With the likelihood of me finding a PS5 this year is close to zero, I'm happy that Spider-Man MM is also on PS4. I'm just wondering will the character models look the same? I can't go back to Spider-Man 1 Miles Morales character model lol
Give target a shot launch day. They are doing in store online orders. try midnight launch day.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love when you bring actual experience into a discussion and not just pull stuff from your rear end like some posters do.

Thank you! That means a lot! Like I've mentioned before, working in the industry for over 14 years has really opened my eyes to a lot of aspects of how games are made, and really changed my perspective on this stuff.

q0yPZGo.gif

I mean, this is pretty much all anyone here has been saying.

Yes, I'm aware. And my post is directed at people that are acting like the sky is falling because they somehow feel "robbed" of a PS5 Horizon, when, if PS5 wasn't released in 2020, and instead holiday 2021 or early 2022, Horizon 2 would have released as a PS4 game, and not a single person would be handwringing about it somehow being gimped or less than. Instead they'd be like, "Boy, I hope it gets a PS5 patch!" like we're seeing people ask for for TLOU2 and GoT. As I said before, the PS5 version is the bonus of Guerrilla Games getting access to PS5 dev kits in time enough to make a PS5 version of their PS4 game. But it's also not going to be something like a "simple" remaster. Nor is it going to be a "Remaster +" like Spider-Man: Remastered is.

Guerrilla's engine is very, very good, and it's also very scalable. The reason why they weren't able to include every little thing they wanted to (like flying mounts) in the first Horizon, is largely due to the fact that they had to build an open world game engine from scratch. Like their talk says, they had already spent 2 years of Horizon's 4 year dev cycle (not including the earliest talks about it from 2011), just iterating on the concept and trying to figure out what they wanted to do for their next game. Then they had to actually build their first ever open world game engine. Just getting that engine up and running properly is a monumental task, not leaving a ton of room to fit all of their wishlist ideas into the game, properly iterate on them, test them, bug fix them, then finalize them. So they shelved some of their darlings for a later game.

Guerrilla is a crazy talented studio, but this was uncharted territory for them. But now have experience producing 2 Horizon games on their PS4 engine (Horizon Zero Dawn, and Horizon Frozen Wilds). So moving on to the full sequel for Horizon 2 (also on PS4), they were able to optimize. They optimized in Frozen Wilds compared to "vanilla" Zero Dawn. And of course optimization frees up resources to do things like, say, flying mounts. Something they didn't have the luxury to include in the previous games.

Look at Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, to Uncharted 3. No one imagined that Uncharted 2 was going to do the things it did tech wise when Uncharted: Drake's Fortune released. No one. That's the beauty of quality game engines and optimization by a talented developer. Then look at what they accomplished on the PS4 with Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part 2. I don't think Guerrilla quite got to the point where they squeezed the PS4 for what it's worth, especially after building a brand new engine and only producing 1.5 games utilizing that engine within their studio. I guarantee the first thing they were working on when starting development on Horizon 2 was figuring out a way to squeeze more out of their engine and put in some of their "wishlist" items, while also excising elements from the first game that didn't work, or were worth further resource investment and iteration on. And then they were given an even bigger and more expansive toy box to play with with the PS5 dev kits. Any developer would be giddy at the potential to play around with at least some of that power, even on a cross-gen title. I view the PS5 title as an enhanced version of the PS4 game, but that's just me. I have no doubt that a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn, no matter what platform it landed on, is going to surpass the original from a technical perspective. Hell, look at GTAIV and V on the PS3! Those games are like night and day. Same engine. Same developer. Optimization. I know it's not magic, but optimization really, really goes a long way to allowing developers to tap into the hardware just that much more, sometimes a lot more.

Yeah, and the amount of scaling they can do is a lot, on top of the fact sony made is easy to pull the code forward on the PS5 and extend it a lot more than ever in the past this is why I'm very optimistic of the things they can place, add and tweak with the PS5 version and still have a base experience on the older hardware. Stuff like more enemies, etc thats all stuff they can add to make the world More full etc. I know if I was developing I'd be trying to break shit to see how far it could go with the current base as to what could be done. Also GG utilzes small teams for different game systems and have certain goals. Im betting the game will still be developed around the 30 FPS goal Which again they can still do a lot between the two systems. There is a lot there and What people are saying are "holding back" they haven't even dreamed up really what is possible on these consoles yet hell I dont think Devs have yet a lot of that takes way more experimentation which should actually happen in the coming years.

Yeah, exactly! That GDC video was really insightful and candid. I love how they don't shy away from the obvious flaws and problems the game had, and still has. I'm very excited to see how they revamp some of the systems, because it was clear that they learned a lot about designing open world games, and will no doubt streamline that for the sequel, which means, more resources freed up elsewhere that can be applied to systems that actually serve their goals better. The bit about human encounters also have me optimistic about those encounters being improved significantly as well compared to the first game.

I really think people should give that GDC talk a watch. Really informative. If I had any concerns/worries about Horizon 2, that talk would have alleviated at least some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.