Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Sony isn't going to put any serious first party resources into a portable console so it is a dead end.

Heck, they have their hands full as it is with PS5 and PSVR 2 support.
I doubt they're going back into portable as an independent platform like the PSP/Vita, but I think they could try again with a playstation phone or some android solution. Still a very low chance of success, nintendo really cornered the portable market.

With their investment in so many support studios, they can do a lot of ports whether for PC or a new portable, or literally for android/iphone. Streaming is now a potent service for a new portable, and they even indicated they actually want to expand their popular franchises into mobile.

So this wouldn't be using much resources from their main first party studios. Acquisitions can be for port support, and that makes whole projects from first parties more profitable and a wider audience for the types of games that don't absolutely need a PS5/PC level of power and storage.

For PSVR2, it was rumored that Sony is focusing on having a VR option in tehir big AAA games, in contrast to the early experimental VR short experiences. So again not such a big burden on first party studios, at least not nearly as much as having a completely separate production for VR-only games.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
If Kojima is just starting with DS2 then what has he been doing since 2019?

🤔

Det

Jul 30, 2020
The only way a portable makes sense is something akin to the Steam deck, with compatibility of the existing console library but downscaled significantly. And cloud streaming.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

🤔

He worked on the director's cut of DS 1. Plus I'm sure that COVID slowed things down.

Besides, if mocap work just recently started, I'm going to guess that Kojima already has a foundation in place with DS 2.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe London Studio was doing something like a new PS Home but then Sony started working on something with Epic on another MetaVerse thing and so London Studio moved on to something else?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony London is doing a fantasy game then they do have a ton of former RARE and LionHead folks there so I am excited to see what they make.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
He worked on the director's cut of DS 1. Plus I'm sure that COVID slowed things down.

Besides, if mocap work just recently started, I'm going to guess that Kojima already has a foundation in place with DS 2.
Ah true. I guess the DC took some time still.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
phyreengine.jpg

PhyreEngine - Wikipedia

I wonder if one day other SIE engines will expand and be used by other companies?

Sony has a ton of inhouse engines, from Insomniac's engine, ND's engine, SSM's engine, the Decima engine by GGs, Sucker Punch's engine, etc...

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I would love another Sony portable, but now that I have Steam Deck on preorder and more Sony FP games hitting PC that itch should be fixed.

I wonder though moving forward if Sony wanted to try the Xbox approach with Series S and Series X, id rather have their weaker system in the lineup be a portable that can dock like the Switch.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
phyreengine.jpg

PhyreEngine - Wikipedia

I wonder if one day other SIE engines will expand and be used by other companies?

Sony has a ton of inhouse engines, from Insomniac's engine, ND's engine, SSM's engine, the Decima engine by GGs, Sucker Punch's engine, etc...

Probably not. They would probably have to expand support teams if any of the licensed studios need help/have issues with them. That doesn't seem likely.

I doubt it, they're proprietary and all that

That doesn't mean much. They can always change how they're licensed. Unreal Engine is also proprietary.

if sony doesnt announce a new showcase next week im going to be slightly annoyed

I'm thinking they'll announce one the week after.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I can't imagine Kojima having 2 AAA games in production and then adding in another experimental cloud based project on top of that, even if it is a smaller project.

Edit: Just to be clear, my doubt is in the horror project not the Xbox project.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Granted Roberto got that one SoP right while no one predicted the date and time.

Maybe he has a ton of "inside" information, some are a lot is BS but then there is some actual legit ones in the piles of sent stuff he gets?

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I don't expect a showcase announcement next week, but I think the Days of Play schedule is pretty close to be revealed and it will give us a good hint about what's coming

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I was hoping that Hideo Kojima would make something new before going straight to Death Stranding 2 :(

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
This is a very strange take. Why are we assuming a sequel will essentially just be a reskin?

Imagine applying that to other Kojima games:

"I like MGS, but the idea was nice because it was new. I don't wanna experience that game again"
The core gameplay of that game is not something I want to experience again. I don't think they'll change the foundations of the game

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I really can see Kojima working on a Horror PSVR2 title and also DS2 for PS5/PC.

It makes sense and doesn't seem that far fetched.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

🤔
He was working on concepts. One of his pitches was turned down in late 2020. Sometime last year he announced that one of his projects was picked up, that looks to be Death Stranding 2. Regarding the Xbox thing, I believe Jeff Grubb said that Kojima and Xbox agreed to talk about working on something, which in all likelihood is the cloud based project. I personally don't see anything happening with the Xbox game, or its gonna be really small, like a PT sized game.

Status
Not open for further replies.