• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
If they're just starting DS 2 then we're probably 3ish years away. Mo-Cap is going to be the bottleneck in terms of development time. NR said it took him about 3 years to shoot. I don't think you can really speed that up in the same way you can for a lot of other parts of development.

If they just started DS2, wonder if that means they've got something else in the meantime, because I don't believe Kojima was only doing Director's Cut and pre-prod for DS2 since DS release. But who knows.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of the stuff in the DC existed as basically tests for gameplay/content they wanted to include in the sequel and they figured "we're doing a PS5 remaster anyway, fuck it, throw it in".
Agree, seems possible. I never played the director's cut, but the additions seemed fun from what I've seen. Even though they also looked a little cartoonish in comparison to the tone of the main game.
Curious what a sequel would look like.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
DS was introduced at E3 2016 and release 3 years later. I wouldn't surprised to see something this year. PlayStation won't wait that long to announce a third party partnership at least.
I don't think that PlayStation would announce that game 3 years in advance again and that a sequel would take that long. Kojima made DS in 3-4 years with a brand-new studio, engine and idea. I don't see the sequel taking as long. But who knows.
A sequel with better combat, enemy encounters and quest design/interaction is a must to make it appealing for a wider audience.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I don't think that PlayStation would announce that game 3 years in advance again and that a sequel would take that long. Kojima made DS in 3-4 years with a brand-new studio, engine and idea. I don't see the sequel taking as long. But who knows.
A sequel with better combat, enemy encounters and quest design/interaction is a must to make it appealing for a wider audience.
Wolverine was announced in 2021 and is probably releasing in 2024, so I could see it getting announced next year.

XB1NH0

Dec 7, 2017

I won't say it was exactly a mistake, because Sony has the numbers and we don't, but so far it seems to have been one of Sony's worst choices in the last 10 years to close Evo.

I see so much potential in Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword and The Order. I think these games just need the right developer and a bit of lucky.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Wolverine was announced in 2021 and is probably releasing in 2024, so I could see it getting announced next year.
True, but I think Wolverine might have been announced this early to get ahead of leaks and to help with recruitment. Getting developers seems pretty tough right now. So many studios, but just a limited amount of developers.
But you might be right as well. We'll see

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
After amazon and google, now media companies want to get into video games

Oct 25, 2017
Of course media companies want to. They see how games can be monetized. Not only that, but when you look at Arcane, Sony with Uncharted and soon TLOU HBO show. There's just a lot of money there.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Sony's probably the blueprint of what companies like Comcast wants in EA. Gaming is huge and Sony is making buckets of money from gaming. Comcast wants some of that cash.

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
Of course media companies want to. They see how games can be monetized. Not only that, but when you look at Arcane, Sony with Uncharted and soon TLOU HBO show. There's just a lot of money there.
Yeah i know it make sense but i was hoping they that they were content to just licensed instead of wanting to buy the big pubs

Which ones led to anything successful. The above companies have largely been unsuccessful and Disney failed in their attempt.
Because they didn't buy big pubs and cloud gaming is too early

It is the next phase of consolidation.
Yes unfortunately

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So Forspoken's original release date was 4 days from now meaning Sony likely had this window of time booked off in their release/marketing schedule for it. That might partially explain why things were quieter the past month or so.

The new PS+ begins its rollout of launches next week so that'll be the next marketing focus. Next up after that is probably some sort of Summer event, whether it's a showcase for PSVR2 as has been rumored, or maybe a dedicated God of War SoP like they did with Horizon last year.

If a showcase of any sort is near that would also likely explain why things have dried up a bit in the news cycle leading up to it.

finchy

Oct 27, 2017
U.K
Just watched the Digital Foundry video on the Motostorm series, had no idea how good the technology was in the game, wish they remastered them.

Norman Reedus on Death Stranding two
"We just started the second one. It took me maybe two or three years to finish all the Mo-cap sessions and everything. It takes a lot of work. And then the game came out, and it just won all these awards, and it was a huge thing, so we just started part two of that."
Loose lips Reedus strikes again😂😂😂

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
Seeing a lot of "insider" statements about Death Stranding on socials coming back to... Well you know...

JdRiJyU.jpg

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Just pre-ordered this. Lol

I also pre-ordered the Aloy one too. They're just so damn adorable! Expensive, but adorable.

Wait, what?

I absolutely love Neve Campbell, so this is exciting news. The cast for this show is off to a really great start with Mackie, Beatriz, Church, and Campbell on board.

Yeah, the concept art looked really cool, I'm very interested in how it turns out.

I'd be a bit pissed if MS bought them and took yet another RPG dev off Playstation lol. Sony really can't afford to keep losing this shit. But I've kinda accepted they'll keep losing more and more games, because I don't see MS slowing down.

Like, I'm still getting Avowed and Starfield on my PC, but I would've much rather been able to play them on my 4K OLED TV on the couch from my PS5. Not a fan of PC gaming outside of menu heavy strategy games. But I can't justify spending hundreds on another console just for that when I can already run them on my PC. It is what it is.

Yeah, I'm about 16 hours into Ghostwire: Tokyo right now and really loving it. Working on that and The Outer Worlds right now.

Bethesda was a huge loss from Playstation for me. They were one of the few publishers left still pumping out a ton of great single player games. I've enjoyed games from every single developer they had. I'll just have to play them on PC going forward 😕

Yep, Lost Legacy and Uncharted 2 are the top tier for me. Followed by UC4 and UC3.

I'm really looking forward to that game! Hope it turns out great, take all the time they need.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest Bethesda fan, so their move to Microsoft hasn't had much of an affect on me. And then there's the matter of me eventually snagging an Xbox Series X once more games I'm interested in release for it, so I'll have all my bases covered. I like to own all platforms eventually, but it really just boils down to what games I can play on them. PlayStation is always my primary console, but I like to have a Nintendo and Xbox platform as well. I've been tempted to build a new gaming PC instead, but I haven't been in the mood to build one, and I'd rather save the money and get a PSVR2, and then an Xbox Series X.

Wolverine was announced early because probably Sony feared leaks. Death Stranding 2 was just leaked so that is not an issue anymore. 🙂

That might have been part of it, but I also think Wolverine was revealed for recruitment purposes. It may not get reported on as much by gaming media, but a lot of studios are practically in a war to acquire talent for their teams. Especially since the pandemic hit and changed the way we make games, studios have become increasingly competitive in securing talent. Just the job alone isn't enough. Pay increase incentives, bonuses, PTO, etc, etc, are all nice, and many studios are offering really enticing benefits in that area, so it's more about "Ok, you're giving me all of these sweet incentives, but what, exactly, will I be working on?"

It's one of the rare times in the industry where the talent has a lot more options than they have had in the past, and will likely take an offered position based off of what it is they'll be working on. And Wolverine, by Insomniac Games, is quite an appealing offer to a lot of talent. Hell, even if it's just temporary contract work, having that on your resume looks damn nice should the game release and be as quality as Insomniac's latest releases.

Not that fear of leaks isn't also a reason they announced the game so early. I feel like that reveal was largely a recruitment move than a move solely to keep a "surprise" from leaking.

True, but I think Wolverine might have been announced this early to get ahead of leaks and to help with recruitment. Getting developers seems pretty tough right now. So many studios, but just a limited amount of developers.
But you might be right as well. We'll see

Yeah, this exactly.

Seeing a lot of "insider" statements about Death Stranding on socials coming back to... Well you know...

JdRiJyU.jpg
well, as a former Norman stan, him overstating anything is very laughable. The man never lies, I know from my walking dead days, he was notorious for over sharing! So it's poppy buck to say he overstates anything. He's definitely not lying, just pulling a Tom holland before Tom holland began pulling a tom holland.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I'm not 100% that he meant DS2. I mean, he used Ms. Pacman as an example for games in the same interview... He could be recording for other project but doesn't know for sure.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
In a shocking turn of events, Insiders pretend they know more than they really know... Even if Jeff does know some (Xbox) insider stuff, his hit rate for PS stuff lately has been absymal.

JdRiJyU.jpg
I have to come to defend Grubb again. He's literally just speculating. "I really don't think" "I don't know". Insiders are allowed to speculate as well, not everything he says is things he has inside knowledge about. This is not the gotcha you think it is.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly his opinion on the matter and from then till now things can obviously change and you can hear things you didn't know about before.

The world isn't a stagnant place lol

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I'm not 100% that he meant it's DS2. I mean, he used Ms. Pacman as an example for games in the same interview... He could be recording for other project but doesn't know for sure.

I like this idea that Norman Reedus is so dumb or uninformed that he has no clue what game he's working on and just assumes it's Death Stranding 2

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
Jeff Grubb likes to talk about video games, and he usually talks about them like a normal person. Most people, however, read everything he says in the context of him being an insider/journalist which gets him into trouble. I don't think he does this intentionally.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this video about weird alien concepts on gas planets and thought that we don't have enough games with weird ass monsters/creatures/ecosystems.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

JdRiJyU.jpg
He also claimed that Bloober Team is developing a faithful remake of Silent Hill 2, even though Bloober themselves said that they won't work on an existing franchise unless they can create the story themselves.

(The same developer with no poker face that refuses to lie, won't deny working on Silent Hill in general, and isn't good at keeping secrets.)

My trust in Jeff Grubb is starting to wane.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Grubb likes to talk about video games, and he usually talks about them like a normal person. Most people, however, read everything he says in the context of him being an insider/journalist which gets him into trouble. I don't think he does this intentionally.
It shouldn't even be that hard lol

I think = opinion.

I heard = second hand information.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
He also claimed that Bloober Team is developing a faithful remake of Silent Hill 2, even though Bloober themselves said that they won't work on an existing franchise unless they can create the story themselves.

(The same developer with no poker face that refuses to lie, won't deny working on Silent Hill in general, and isn't good at keeping secrets.)

My trust in Jeff Grubb is starting to wane.
I think there is still room for the verdict to come out on this. As has been noted before, devs lie.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I'm sorry, but the idea that NR has already started working on a game and yet has no idea what it is is just ridiculous.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Darkknight2149 I know you've been very adamant you don't think Bloober is making a SH2 Remake. Just for fun, I'll do a friendly wager on the opposite if you want. I think it'll make fake-E3 a little more fun.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I think there is still room for the verdict to come out on this. As has been noted before, devs lie.
As I already mentioned, Bloober Team has no poker face and refuses to lie. They made it obvious that they were working on a Silent Hill months before their partnership with Konami was even announced.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Bloober Team hints it could be working on Silent Hill… but it’s not the only one | VGC

Medium dev says its next game is based on an existing horror IP from 'a famous publisher'

Even in the more recent interview, they dropped this:

"We can't comment on anything we are doing because we appreciate our relationship with our partners, of course. So we can't [say] anything. We will make an announcement about our future projects as soon as we can. So then you will know much more." Chuckling, he added, "Officially."

Their word is probably more credible than "Jeff Grubb says he heard some things."

(Typo edit)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.