• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Mid gen refresh is fine for me. I was day 1 on PS4 and PS5, and I got a Pro day 1 solely for RGG6. I'd happily do the same for the PS5 since I use it so much. Ive already got lots of use out of my PS5, so I personally see it as money well spent considering how much I use the machine, and if it improves performance.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
an updated (yet not compatibility breaking) model of a product being introduced FOUR years after the original is perfectly reasonable in modern consumer electronics. Gamers are often stuck in this "generations" mindset from the 8/16 bit days ignoring thats not at all in line with modern consumer expectations. Consumers don't feel "punished" when new phones or tablets or VR headset or headphone or whatever models are introduced, often on an annual basis.

I don't know how reasonable that is in a world where Sony keeps pumping out premium hardware like the PS5. You can't reasonably get that into a portable form factor in any way that is actually feasible. Hell they wouldn't even be able to make a mass market portable PS4 (ignoring that this would introduce the same issues of having two pieces of hardware to support)
Reasonable probably wasn't the right word for it. I think conceptually that would be what Sony would want to achieve, to get parity both via handheld and on console without compromising anything. I think the most feasible path to achieve that is through cloud tech, which again isn't foolproof in its own right, though it would help meet their goals as the tech continues to mature over time.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I booted up my newly acquired GT7 on the right day 🥳

Fs_Ibt2XoAAjkUI

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Sony doing a Sega Nomad-style handheld where the functionally identical hardware or software can be played on the go is the most reasonable method they can take in the handheld form factor.

Yeah, if they can make an affordable device with decent specs to use these games in, could be a cool little addition to the hardware. I doubt they would expect it to be "PSP 3/Vita 2"

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished miles morales. Such a fantastic game. Everything was improved from the original game and insomniac have done fantastic job with miles powers.

I got almost all the trophies besides new game + and that stupid 100x combo one

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished miles morales. Such a fantastic game. Everything was improved from the original game and insomniac have done fantastic job with miles powers.

Playing through Spider-Man Remastered again for the platinum and can't wait to jump back into Miles to finish off that platinum as well.

I forgot how much I love the combat especially.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021

Played over both games recently and just has me so hyped for Spider-Man 2

Nov 21, 2017
What's wrong with the pro?

The PS5 Pro makes sense and is just fine. There is a market for that. See PS4 Pro.

Not everything Sony makes is for everyone.

Sony made the PS4 Pro because
-PS4 OG released extremely underpowered in 2013
-to play 4K gaming
-improve PSVR1 gaming
-combat PlayStation Gamers from jumping to PC gaming(Sony themselves said this)

The PS5 did not release underpowered, already does 4K gaming, was built with PSVR2 in mind, and Sony now officially supports PC gaming as a platform. The PS4 Pro didn't even perform all that well sales wise as Sony didn't even tout how much they sold of that model specifically and it was even discontinued years ago. Not to mention the PS4 didn't have a major shortage issue that the PS5 experienced in its first few years on the market and the world economy wasn't shit too.

Troian

May 24, 2021

-Comes with a new pixel font, which is great considering some people were having trouble with the previous font.

-The ability to select between original Soundtrack and the new one.

-Ability to turn off random encounters.

-Experience Boosters.

So they basically fixed every issue that came with the original release, making this probably the best way to play these games. The only issue I think someone could still have is I believe some of the bonus content is still missing.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I need significantly more engaging combat for Pete and less annoying collectathons for the platinum in Spider-Man 2.

No bloody Taskmaster challenge lol.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
-to play 4K gaming
-improve PSVR1 gaming

The PS5 did not release underpowered, already does 4K gaming, was built with PSVR2 in mind, and Sony now officially supports PC gaming as a platform. The PS4 Pro didn't even perform all that well sales wise as Sony didn't even tout how much they sold of that model specifically and it was even discontinued years ago. Not to mention the PS4 didn't have a major shortage issue that the PS5 experienced in its first few years on the market and the world economy wasn't shit too.

There's competition to think of too, though. It's likely MS is going to release a mid-gen refresh and they need a competing product to at least blunt the narrative there. Plus Pro did well enough to keep hardware sales up a bit, and probably didn't cost that much to produce, so there likely will be a ps5 pro as well, whether or not it's needed as badly.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mid-gen refreshes feel like they punish early adopters. I get consoles because 1) I'm too old, poor, and impatient to fuck with PCs and 2) because I can get away with spending $500 on a tech toy probably once every 6-7 years. I managed to get a PS5 at launch and I feel like this year is the first year that I'm actually seeing an influx of games for the damn thing. So by the time the generation actually kicks off, I'm already on outdated tech and can't really justify splurging AGAIN for a thing that the original thing should have been doing in the first place.
Why do you need the Pro? The base PS4 was perfectly acceptable through all of last gen. You might not get 4k/60fps without the splurge, but its not going to a massively downgraded experience to just stick with the original machine.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
New hardware is exciting to me, dunno what ya'll talking about with the "we don't need" mindset. We don't need any of these products in reality.

If they suck, I'll ignore them, but I dunno, can't see how Sony fans aren't excited about new PlayStation hardware. I'm always going to check out something from my fav division.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
New hardware is exciting to me, dunno what ya'll talking about with the "we don't need" mindset. We don't need any of these products in reality.

If they suck, I'll ignore them, but I dunno, can't see how Sony fans aren't excited about new PlayStation hardware. I'm always going to check out something from my fav division.

I'm down for one just to maximize the unlocked quality modes in games. I think that's part of Sony's strategy since most/all(?) of their games released the last 2 years have included them. Plus for PSVR2.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

Yeah, I kinda get the psvr 2 thing because it does require dual investment and have its own library (though I bought a psvr 2 day and think it's an excellent product for its price, even if that price isn't very mainstream at all), but something like this handheld shouldn't be a big deal at all, it doesn't split the library or anything, it just gives you a new way to play ps5 games on the go. It's not like they're going to be throwing billions at it, and it might do okay in markets where portable gaming is more popular than home gaming.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah, I kinda get the psvr 2 thing because it does require dual investment and have its own library (though I bought a psvr 2 day and think it's an excellent product for its price, even if that price isn't very mainstream at all), but something like this handheld shouldn't be a big deal at all, it doesn't split the library or anything, it just gives you a new way to play ps5 games on the go. It's not like they're going to be throwing billions at it, and it might do okay in markets where portable gaming is more popular than home gaming.

I could potentially be interested in it if the price is right. I do game in bed occasionally with my SD but it's a bit too big for comfort. If it's similar in price to the other cloud handhelds, then that's a big no; I'd just get one of them for their platform agnosticism.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I could potentially be interested in it if the price is right. I do game in bed occasionally with my SD but it's a bit too big for comfort. If it's similar in price to the other cloud handhelds, then that's a big no; I'd just get one of them for their platform agnosticism.

Yeah, it definitely needs to be cheaper than something like the Logitech G Cloud, especially if it's not a full "cloud" gaming system the way those are.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah, it definitely needs to be cheaper than something like the Logitech G Cloud, especially if it's not a full "cloud" gaming system the way those are.

I'm hoping for something "extra" in terms of maximizing it's utility within the PS ecosystem, or just significantly cheaper than the competition. But no idea what the "extra" could be tbh.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Anyway, the actual big news of the day is the Pixel Remasters getting a release date! Finally! (Thank God I saved a little bit of money in case they came out haha)

Jul 2, 2021
-to play 4K gaming
-improve PSVR1 gaming

Sony knows that the PS4 Pro sold well and now they know there is a market for it. Are all PS5 games running in native 4K with 60fps and ray tracing without any issues? Doubt it. A PS5 Pro in the middle of the gen (4 years after the PS5 launch) is fine. And no one is forcing you to buy one. Ignore it, just like I'm going to ignore the PS5 remote play handheld accessory. Lol.

Sep 6, 2022
I'm down for one just to maximize the unlocked quality modes in games. I think that's part of Sony's strategy since most/all(?) of their games released the last 2 years have included them. Plus for PSVR2.
This actually makes so much sense.
We have seen more and more Sony 1st party studios supporting 120hz, VRR and uncapped framerates in all of their latest releases.

Insomniac,
Guerilla,
Naughty Dog,
Santa Monica Studio,
Polyphony Digital.

Maybe it really is a new internal mandate that all big 1st party tentpole releases have these features so that when the Pro hardware drops, these games can instantly take advantage of the increased power and show off improvements in a way that is easy to demonstrate right away.

Amazing if so, because that means we don't need them to go back and patch their games when the Pro drops.
The games are already "future proofed" ahead of time.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for something "extra" in terms of maximizing it's utility within the PS ecosystem, or just significantly cheaper than the competition. But no idea what the "extra" could be tbh.
If it'll be considered an extension of the PS5 I imagine some firmware updates are coming to make it more seamless. Something like if your PS5 is on and you turn the handheld on it'll automatically detect it and a prompt on the handheld to continue will shoot the Remote Play over. Also a faster startup will be nice from rest mode compared to how it is now if you start Remote Play on phone or PC.

Overall just stuff like that Sony can specifically tune for can be that little extra thing as it'll be part of the PS5 hardware ecosystem.

Joe Shiesty

Jan 30, 2023
Yeah extra hyped for Spiderman 2. Just wish the city was little more colourful and stylish
I do wonder if the game will go in the same direction as Zelda Totk. They already have the foundation set in terms of the setting and assets, so I can maybe see them just simply improving the interactivity of the world and vastly improving the side content.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine playing a Spider-Man game that looked more like Spiderverse
Yeah while what's up danger scene was running through my mind when jumping from high buildings.
Also prefer prowler of movie compared to the game
I do wonder if the game will go in the same direction as Zelda Totk. They already have the foundation set in terms of the setting and assets, so I can maybe see them just simply improving the interactivity of the world and vastly improving the side content.
Zelda Totk is on same hardware for SP2 I am also hoping for more world interactivity and making it feel alive reactive. Also npc should feel more natural
I really want them to expand on the city environment. Manhattan was great but it would be cool if they added more places to explore. Take advantage of the new hardware that way.
Honestly it became a little repetitive at the end of the game that's why I am hoping they would add maybe more fictional elements to the city

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, my kids are always hogging the TV with Ms. Rachael or Daniel Tiger lol...I might play a bit more if I could stream it on a local device.

And hell yeah to a filter mode that looks like "Into the Spiderverse"...I think I kept that frame on the entire Miles playthrough, it was so well done.

I already see a Turtles movies that look like Spider-man, hopefully we see this art style continue to flourish, it's SOOOO good and literally a comic book brought to life.

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
Of all the Sony studios that should have something ready to show, it should be Bend, right? This month will be four years since the release of Days Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.