• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Baby Palkia

fdYXcZW.jpg

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Got lucky finishing up the Meltan quest, managed to find one of the 5 razzberries quest so I got Cubone done. Finally found a catch 10 ice types for Omanyte, but then just found a wild one yesterday so that worked itself out. We need new special research. Jirachi when?

Ended up with a successful haul (for me) this event: no shinies but caught a Solrock, caught my first Kyogre then had 2 more run, then run when I thought I would be without a Groudon, I pulled into Walmart and there was a gym there with an egg about to hatch. A group of ominous cars all pulled up and I caught it on my first ball.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
New raid bosses with Palkia debuting. I guess Niatic expects us to use Rock pokemon against him.
[Edit: Raids changed]
Seems like those set of raids were incorrect.

Correct raids are:

T1: Magikarp, Feebas, Swablu, Dratini, Shinx, Buizel
T2: Alolan Exxegcute, Kirlia, Sableye, Mawhile
T3: Alakazam, Machamp, Onix, Azumarill, Granbull
T4: Alolan Marowak, Togetic, Tyranitar, Absol, Ursaring
T5: Palkia

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Onix was one that was removed. Such a boring T3 lineup. Machamp and I guess Alakazam are the only ones even remotely interesting. It's a shame Togetic couldn't be T3.

I went 2/2 on Palkia today. Scored one as a 91%. I'm tempted to boost that one, or maybe wait just a bit, to have another dragon option instead of powering up a second Dragonite. I like prioritizing variety in my lineup before doing repeats.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Okay so if your raiding Palkia you need a fairy team - I did a raid this morning and it had Draco Meteor and it just oneshots all my dragons - it cleared them out in seconds - Gardevoir / Togekiss / Grandbull in my B team did plenty of damage and took hits fine but make sure you setup a fairy team before going in.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Yeah, it was defeating to miss-time my 2nd party and find my dragonite immediately one hit knocked out before it even got off a quick move. The other movesets are nearly just as damaging for me though, so I'm going to keep my first team as dragons, and my second team non-dragons. As long as I can get my charge moves off before palkia's Draco meteor and have plenty of revives to spare, I would rather have the higher DPS and therefore more reward bundles and premier balls.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, it was defeating to miss-time my 2nd party and find my dragonite immediately one hit knocked out before it even got off a quick move. The other movesets are nearly just as damaging for me though, so I'm going to keep my first team as dragons, and my second team non-dragons. As long as I can get my charge moves off before palkia's Draco meteor and have plenty of revives to spare, I would rather have the higher DPS and therefore more reward bundles and premier balls.

This is fine - its just make sure you have a B team set and dont just take the defaults - it puts in some weird stuff at times and you dont want Steel or some of the other things it may think you want (I did not see it but someone said they had a Blissey in the auto select presumably because it had Dazzling Gleam as its charge move)

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine - its just make sure you have a B team set and dont just take the defaults

Yeah, my B team is non dragons with dragon or fairy movesets - 2 Gyrados with outrage, groudon with dragon tail/solar beam, togekiss, gardevoir, slacking

Edit: after seeing This "budget palkia counters" list, I changed it up. Out with my 2 gyrados, in with my poison jab/ dazzling gleam roserade, and my (admittedly dragon type) alolan exeggutor.

Last edited:

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Looks like you should be able to find them in raids. :) Same with Aerodactyl.

Bizarrely, after seeing none for weeks, two Omanytes spawned at my work desk today, practically on top of each other.
I rarely check the app at work, and rarely get spawns here.

It's as if the game thought the quest was taking me too long and just said 'here's your two damn Omanytes!'

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have 26 Fast TM's and 20 Charge TM's should I even keep these? They just change a move on a Pokémon correct? Im not even sure which Pokémon to use these on.

It all depends on how you play the game and if you battle a lot (raids, gyms). The right or wrong moveset can make a pretty big difference on a Pokémon. So you could have some great attackers (like Dragonite), but have a crap moveset. If you have a Dragonite with Hyper Beam (crap), you can use a TM (or more) til you get Outrage. Take a look at GamePress and check the movesets on your best attackers. That's arguably more important than having good IV's. This is the attacker tier list: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/attackers-tier-list Only use those TM's on Pokémon that are useful in battles. Sites like Gamepress show which combos are the best on each Pokémon, from an A rating to X (not good)

For instance for the current T5 raid boss having a stack of good counters isn't enough, they also benefit greatly from having the right moveset. In the case of Dragonite again, that's Dragon Tail and Outrage.

Last edited:

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
I have 26 Fast TM's and 20 Charge TM's should I even keep these? They just change a move on a Pokémon correct? Im not even sure which Pokémon to use these on.

If you have that many TMs, then you do a lot of raiding. You would be able to beat raid bosses with less people the stronger your team is. If you have an android phone, a nice starting place I like to use is the calcyIV app. After you IV check your guy, you can press on the battle button, and it instantly grades your pokemon based on the moveset it sees. You get a raid grade, a gym defender grade, and a PVP grade. If you don't have an A for raiding, you can click on the other possible movesets and see what gives the most DPS.

But it's not perfect.. Some other movesets have their niche.. Like roserade is the best poison pokemon so I'd be inclined to tm the movesets to be poison, but then right now the fairy charged move makes it useful against palkia if we are fighting one with Draco meteor. I tend to use TMs as needed.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think the latest update is truncating all friends after 40. Quick, everyone rename yourself to 0* to the the most presents.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
But in all seriousness, all of the people that I added a week ago still with 0 hearts are gonna get axed. I think I'm 4 days away from SDragon being level 4 friends and I can't see him anymore.

Edit never mind you can reverse z to a. Such amateur programmers lulz.

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It all depends on how you play the game and if you battle a lot (raids, gyms). The right or wrong moveset can make a pretty big difference on a Pokémon. So you could have some great attackers (like Dragonite), but have a crap moveset. If you have a Dragonite with Hyper Beam (crap), you can use a TM (or more) til you get Outrage. Take a look at GamePress and check the movesets on your best attackers. That's arguably more important than having good IV's. This is the attacker tier list: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/attackers-tier-list Only use those TM's on Pokémon that are useful in battles. Sites like Gamepress show which combos are the best on each Pokémon, from an A rating to X (not good)

For instance for the current T5 raid boss having a stack of good counters isn't enough, they also benefit greatly from having the right moveset. In the case of Dragonite again, that's Dragon Tail and Outrage.
If you have that many TMs, then you do a lot of raiding. You would be able to beat raid bosses with less people the stronger your team is. If you have an android phone, a nice starting place I like to use is the calcyIV app. After you IV check your guy, you can press on the battle button, and it instantly grades your pokemon based on the moveset it sees. You get a raid grade, a gym defender grade, and a PVP grade. If you don't have an A for raiding, you can click on the other possible movesets and see what gives the most DPS.

But it's not perfect.. Some other movesets have their niche.. Like roserade is the best poison pokemon so I'd be inclined to tm the movesets to be poison, but then right now the fairy charged move makes it useful against palkia if we are fighting one with Draco meteor. I tend to use TMs as needed.

Yeah I do a lot of raiding. I work around a high gym area in Los Angeles. Thank you both for replying I will start looking into this!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
TMs are especially important if you want to be able to solo 3* raids. Right now I have enough of a variety of chinpokomons to do this 75% of the time. Annoyingly the auto selected team will prioritize defense with the ones you really need last in the list. I just narrowly beat an alakazam that was weak against normal, i had to retry, remove a metagross and replace with a another that had crunch, then I won by 10 seconds. Precious rare candies and golden razzes.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
How do you all know which Pokemons to select when raiding? My OCD now is getting rare candies for dex completion and golden razzes for community day 5* raids catching, so I'm trying to frequent 3* raids and battle solo in my area. Half of the time, the auto-selected 6 pokemons for a 3* raid just don't cut it.

For example, today I raided a Machamp, and timed out with maybe 10% HP left. I realized that confusion was the weakness, so I retried, put in:
1. Metagross with Zen headbutt quick attack.
2. Alakazam with Confusion/Future sight attacks.
3. Espeon with Confusion/Psybeam which wasn't even in the initial list
4-6. Others that had high CP, high attacks, and maybe 1 type of attack psychic.

What I selected ended up working with 20 seconds to spare, but how do I avoid wasting 10 minutes and a pass?

Is there a way to prioritize recommendations with balanced or focused on attack? Or do I have to google this?

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do you all know which Pokemons to select when raiding? My OCD now is getting rare candies for dex completion and golden razzes for community day 5* raids catching, so I'm trying to frequent 3* raids and battle solo in my area. Half of the time, the auto-selected 6 pokemons for a 3* raid just don't cut it.

For example, today I raided a Machamp, and timed out with maybe 10% HP left. I realized that confusion was the weakness, so I retried, put in:

What I selected ended up working with 20 seconds to spare, but how do I avoid wasting 10 minutes and a pass?

Is there a way to prioritize recommendations with balanced or focused on attack? Or do I have to google this?

The game recommends Pokémon that resist the moves of the raid boss, there is nothing that you can do about it.

Pokebattler is where you want to go to find the actual best counters.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Just saw a Shinx raid, I thought they were out of the pool.

The raid pool is back to somewhat normal now with some reasonable L1/2/3/4 stuff as well as the new Legendary - latest is here :

https://leekduck.com/boss/

Mi887lc.jpg

How do you all know which Pokemons to select when raiding? My OCD now is getting rare candies for dex completion and golden razzes for community day 5* raids catching, so I'm trying to frequent 3* raids and battle solo in my area.

If you use an IV checker the main ones will also tell you which of your Pokemon is best for a battle / how much damage those will do and which ones can do more damage with a little bit of a boost.

On Android CalcyIV - press and hold the IV button - press the green (monster) button and type in the name
On iOS Pokegenie - hit the three lines in the top left hand corner and select battle simulator

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017

For what it's worth, you didn't lose a pass. When the gym lobby button has a check mark next to it, it means you've already "paid up." You can raid as many times as you want on one pass until either you win or it despawns. Usually when I see a raid boss and don't know the best counters, I google it while I walk over to it or while I am sitting at a light.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The raid pool is back to somewhat normal now with some reasonable L1/2/3/4 stuff as well as the new Legendary - latest is here :

https://leekduck.com/boss/

Mi887lc.jpg

If you use an IV checker the main ones will also tell you which of your Pokemon is best for a battle / how much damage those will do and which ones can do more damage with a little bit of a boost.

On Android CalcyIV - press and hold the IV button - press the green (monster) button and type in the name
On iOS Pokegenie - hit the three lines in the top left hand corner and select battle simulator

Neat, looks like it works after scanning a bunch of my pokemons. Not all scan because they get in the way of the CP bar, but I think it gives a good estimate.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, looks like it works after scanning a bunch of my pokemons. Not all scan because they get in the way of the CP bar, but I think it gives a good estimate.
You can tap the Pokemon to get them out of the way of the CP number and level marker (the only two important elements the Pokemon itself can block). Barring that, every IV checker also allows manual input.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
How the heck are people consistent with catching Palkia? After a few throws my finger gets stuck trying to throw and i end up losing too many balls.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
How the heck are people consistent with catching Palkia? After a few throws my finger gets stuck trying to throw and i end up losing too many balls.
Set the circle to great/excellent range, wait for him to attack, release a curve throw on the high end. My throwing pattern was pretty much the same as I used for Kyogre really. I've gone 4/5 and never had more than 10 balls (using iPhone 8).

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So is there any point in getting a bunch of Palkias if Rayq is set to return at some point? I'm considering saving premium raid passes and only doing free ones for now, since I only have 13 premium left. I don't see a big reason to go ham for this one like I did for the Groudon/Kyogre combo. I may just call it a day if I catch 3 or 4.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan

There are some sites, like Pokebattler, that give you a list of the best counters for each raid boss.

But, additionally, what I use is an app like PokeGenie. After entering in all your Pokemon (or your strongest ones, at least), you can use the battle simulator and it'll give you a recommended team of Pokemon you currently have, and whether or not it will be able to defeat the boss. Through this I discovered that one of my best Psychic attackers is a Slowbro. :/

You can also use the battle simluator to use Pokemon you don't have and figure out which are the best against the raid boss.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Setting the circle? I've seen that mentioned but I don't really understand it. Also it may be my phone too because I had somebody else try it and they too felt something off with my screen.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they just added a bunch of new evolutions and new gen 4. Announcement mentions Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Cranidos, and Shieldon. Still can't evolve Piloswine, makes sense with the CD coming up.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Update out for iOS?

Setting the circle? I've seen that mentioned but I don't really understand it. Also it may be my phone too because I had somebody else try it and they too felt something off with my screen.

Basically, as long as you are holding down the poke ball, the circle will move. If you lift your finger off the phone, the circle remains the same. So when a Pokemon makes an animation, you can throw the ball just as the Pokemon finishes the animation and therefore know how large the circle you are throwing the ball into. Basically, you can set the circle to hit a great/excellent throw every time.

You can hit up the spreadsheet in the OP for friending stuff.

Palkia will probably chew through Rayquaza or other go-to Dragon type attackers if it has Draco Meteor. I'm seeing people starting to prepare Fairy type attack teams.

My fear with those types of spreadsheets is they don't indicate who has stopped playing :(

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Whole bunch of moves have been added to some Pokemon. Supposedly nothing has been removed, so enjoy burning through even more Charge TMs trying to get the one you want.

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/throw-techniques-catching-legendary-raid-boss#3

Basically, hold the pokeball until the circle is at the smallest size you're comfortable being able to hit then let go. The circle will reset to that point after an attack animation.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared of the announcement saying some raids might get harder soon. Some kind of scaling difficulty depending on the number of raiders would be fine, but if it simply ends up requiring more people, that's going to be obnoxious for coordination. I want to be able to do more raids solo or with fewer people, not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.