Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone actually find wild Pokemon battles fun in the main series? I never did. Unless I was specifically looking to find and catch a specific Pokemon in the wild, I'd roll my eyes at every wild encounter. They're just filler. It's the trainer and gym battles that have been fun for me.

I won't miss wild battles one bit, personally.

This!

The amount of times I had to use repels because a wild Zubat in a cave annoyed the hell out of me lmao

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to agree to disagree with ya there.
I don't know what you guys are actually looking at then. Just look at the head sizes relative to their bodies. These games models don't match any of the old artwork except for the little kids, and the adults now look like the slightly older kids. Sun and Moon were way more accurate

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
I am one of those hated genwunners (though I do like Gen 2 as well), so this game is theoretically for me. I do like that random battles are gone (worst aspect of traditional JRPGs imo), but not having to fight wild Pokemon to catch them? That seems like a major omission to me.

I also wish the graphics were more like the manga-esque concept art for the original Red/Blue games.

This game has potential for sure though.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that the leaker also talked about some Online Hub for players. We haven't seen anything about that.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know what you guys are actually looking at then. Just look at the head sizes relative to their bodies. These games models don't match any of the old artwork except for the little kids, and the adults now look like the slightly older kids. Sun and Moon were way more accurate
ZOZexbP.png
6kmJjDs.png

There's no way that Sun and Moon was closer.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
While I would have preferred a more traditional Pokemon experience, this does seem to be a refreshing take on what is essentially another trip back to the Kanto region.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I honestly don't know how you can't see the parallel when people here have said the series is dead to them if some of the Go mechanics seep into the core series.
Because that's changing a key element of the games, not dropping things added later.

I'll put it into perspective for you:

Scenario 1: Every Thanksgiving we eat turkey. One Thanksgiving, we see all of the neighbors eating ham, and they seem to really enjoy it, and we decided to have ham as our meal next Thanksgiving in the hopes of having them over. This is the battle system change.

Scenario 2: We had turkey for our first Thanksgiving as a family. Each year, we progressively add more and more dishes to Thanksgiving to appeal to wider tastes, while a verbal contingent keeps insisting we dump all the mashed potatoes and rice and vegetables and ham and just have the original turkey dinner over and over again.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I'm pretty sick of Gen 1 at this point.

My favorites no are the ones that got some new form or variant later(Zubat, Eevee, Scyther, Charizard,etc.)

But no forget all those great Pokémon for latter gens what people want is more fucking Weedles, Seels, and Tentacools!

Trade evolution is still a thing.

Also how is it that new fans can grasp these concepts in every previous gen before this one because they were obviously still getting new customers.
Because this title is likely aiming for a wider audience than the 15 million Pokemon usually sells. Not all new fans are the same.

I'll be really happy if they scale back a lot of the stuff from Sun/Moon, and if I enjoy this one then they've picked up a new fan.

Oct 25, 2017
They also had far fewer Pokemon to animate moves for. 150 vs 800+?
This game has 152 Pokemon lol (idk if Mew is in but I'll assume so).
No, you just won't need a Switch Online subscription to play the games online.
Yeah, I didn't get that from the QnA. Trading and battling are still in, but they're local only (like if you're trading with a friend's 3DS right next to you). What they most likely mean by no online service is that there's literally no Online capability in the game beyond patches.
So all of the tall grass is just there aesthetics?
Pokemon can only spawn in tall grass, but after spawning they're free to wander.
Large Pokemon are automatically ridden. That Charizard clip isn't a special thing, it's literally a follower Charizard, but instead of following, he's being ridden.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Did anyone actually find wild Pokemon battles fun in the main series? I never did. Unless I was specifically looking to find and catch a specific Pokemon in the wild, I'd roll my eyes at every wild encounter. They're just filler. It's the trainer and gym battles that have been fun for me.

Yes I think wild battles are important. I made this post earlier:
They are part of the difficulty when going though long routes.(Wild pokemon drain your PP and HP potions) Victory Road will just be a stroll through a cave without the wild battles.
I also think wild battles are important to themed areas. For example in the haunted tower of Lavender Town, the ghost pokemon and the trainers will fight you. The wild pokemon make the area feel properly haunted and they try to beat your mons up. In Let's Go, will you just fight trainers while the haunters and ghastlys loiter around the area?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Because this title is likely aiming for a wider audience than the 15 million Pokemon usually sells. Not all new fans are the same.

I'll be really happy if they scale back a lot of the stuff from Sun/Moon, and if I enjoy this one then they've picked up a new fan.
I'm actually sure most Pokemon fans today are kids who grew up with generations besides Gen 1. To them, they have just as much if not more nostalgia for Pokemon like Togepi, Treecko, Mudkip, Hoothoot, etc. as people who started playing Gen 1 have for Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, etc.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I didn't get that from the QnA. Trading and battling are still in, but they're local only (like if you're trading with a friend's 3DS right next to you). What they most likely mean by no online service is that there's literally no Online capability in the game beyond patches.
No, we've already had confirmation that that was a misunderstanding, the game has online battling and trading, but no ranked matches and no online co-op.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, the more I sit on it the more I feel like it's not a big deal. That being said I wish you still had to battle Pokemon like Snorlax, the Legendary Birds and Mewtwo (who knows, maybe you will).

Oh, I fully expect event and Legendary Pokemon to have to be battled before greeting the capture screen, much like in Pokemon Go raids. In fact, I'm certain that will be the case. Maybe they'll even make the fights challenging, since it's not about keeping the Pokemon enfeebled and at low HP to catch them.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a game made exclusively for Pokemon Go mobile gamers. Looking forward to 2019 game.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
There's gonna be a day/night cycle right? I feel like night time would look beautiful with the art style they got going on right now.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
what if the 2019 isn't gen 8 and is Pokemon Stars.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh, I fully expect event and Legendary Pokemon to have to be battled before greeting the capture screen, much like in Pokemon Go raids. In fact, I'm certain that will be the case. Maybe they'll even make the fights challenging, since it's not about keeping the Pokemon enfeebled and at low HP to catch them.
This might be the best outcome for legendaries jndeed. Tough as fuck boss battles, where you have to defear them before getting to the capture screen. In fact, if all Pokemon captures where like that, this game would have beem excellent.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's gonna be a day/night cycle right? I feel like night time would look beautiful with the art style they got going on right now.
Day / Night was added in Gen 2, specifically to the benefit of Espeon / Umbreon and having some Pokemon come out at night, so I think it's unlikely.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I think wild battles are important. I made this post earlier:

I also think wild battles are important to themed areas. For example in the haunted tower of Lavender Town, the ghost pokemon and the trainers will fight you. The wild pokemon make the area feel properly haunted and they try to beat your mons up. In Let's Go, will you just fight trainers while the haunters and ghastlys loiter around the area?
You're absolutely right. Really, really wish they added some "classic mode" for wild encounters.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I bet they won't do this

Kito

Nov 6, 2017

And you don't think we'll be fighting ghost Pokemon in the Pokemon Tower?

I think people are blowing this out of proportion assuming there will be NO Pokemon battles outside trainer battles. I'm sure we'll fight scripted Pokemon like the ghosts in the tower, Snorlax, the birds, Mewtwo, etc. along the way. It's just the Pokemon outside of events not vital to the plot of the game that we'll skip battling, surely.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Don't care about visuals, they're fine.
Don't care about the Go stuff. I'd rather not have it around, but I'll live.
I find Kanto boring, but again, I'll live. It was my first mainline region, and I found it plain back then, too.

Locked to 151, though? Not even a few Johto mons in the post-game? That's a deal breaker for me, especially for a $60 console game. It blows my mind that a decade-old gen 1 remake will seemingly have more content in that sense. Real bummer that I'll be waiting a year and a half.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
No, we've already had confirmation that that was a misunderstanding, the game has online battling and trading, but no ranked matches and no online co-op.

Oh interesting, where was this brought up? I mean, ranked battling has pretty much been the meat of Pokemon for me since gen 6 (Hell, gen 4 if you count Pokemon Sims), but if I get these games I might hop online and stomp some people with a competitive Lets Go team :P

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I bet they won't do this

Wait... are you saying you expect that we'll venture through a mysterious cave and happen across Mewtwo for the final showdown, and it starts and ends by throwing Pokeballs at him? No way in hell. We'll be battling him just like we battle him and other Legendary Pokemon and event Pokemon in Pokemon Go.

Clix

Banned
Been playing since the beginning. I got my fill of Kanto two visits ago. Really sick of it. I just hope this is the last time for at least five years. u_u;

Also, anyone stanning for Jynx gets a side-eye from me >.>

Hush you. Jynx is awesome.

This is my take in wild battles. I love them and I hate them. I love a wild battle the first time it's a new Pokémon and being surprised. That part is fun! It's the anticipation. However, once I've seen that pokemon, I absolutely am over it. Especially in caves. It gets tiring. Real fast.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I bet they won't do this
If that's how it is in GO I don't see why it wouldn't be that way here.
Oh interesting, where was this brought up? I mean, ranked battling has pretty much been the meat of Pokemon for me since gen 6 (Hell, gen 4 if you count Pokemon Sims), but if I get these games I might hop online and stomp some people with a competitive Lets Go team :P
Both GameSpot and IGN, Serebii also confirmed the no online thing was a mistranslation.