Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
My favourite Pokémon Kyogre is only in shield ..... maybe I'll just transfer mine. I have shield also but that means paying for the pass again. Ridiculous!

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Peony is like a 50 year old version of Hop.

I swear that Hau, Hop, and Peony were all written and design by the same group of people. Because they're all the same.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Randomly stumbled upon the old lady who makes Galarcia Wreaths for Slowking.

Crown Tundra really needs a mini-map, especially in the caves and when it's foggy.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Still grinding my way through the main game so I can actually catch things in the Tundra. Calyrex looks stupid but also is the most charming legendary in forever, keen to get into the story already.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
My favourite Pokémon Kyogre is only in shield ..... maybe I'll just transfer mine. I have shield also but that means paying for the pass again. Ridiculous!
Not so fast, I'm a Shield player and just caught Groudon
All in the matchmaking, all this stuff about exclusives is bunk when you go online

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
if that's the case it makes me really happy!
Yeah also the team I was with lost to Groudon the first time, then it lets you rematch it later alone or with a new squad, even though it wasn't my version exclusive
EDIT: Now that I check over my raids... I've caught Solgaleo, fought Solgaleo again, Groudon, Tornadus, Ho-Oh, Latios (all sword exclusives) and Tapu Bulu (non exclusive)
Maybe some kind of matchmaking that tries to put you with an opposite version host? Or huge coincidence

Last edited:

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah also the team I was with lost to Groudon the first time, then it lets you rematch it later alone or with a new squad, even though it wasn't my version exclusive

Huh, really? How is it rematched alone? This gives me more incentive to trudge through probable losses.

I resetted because Suicune nature was bad the 1st time and because we lost 2nd time. Now he doesn't appear, so be careful.

Any updates on this? Is Suicune really lost for good for you?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Huh, really? How is it rematched alone? This gives me more incentive to trudge through probable losses.
Well when I say alone, I mean with a choice for NPC bots instead of matchmaking
Basically when you either lose, or the pokemon runs because you have caught it before, the scientist lady at the entrance notes down the location of the pokemon so you can try the den again later, I think she stores a few locations at a time
because it's noted down, rather than an unknown ??? symbol, the symbol of the pokemon itself is on the matchmaking screen. I'm not sure if only the host sees it or not. But I feel like the other people could see it was Groudon because they were all making the best choices throughout the raid to counter it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I'm a sword player but got both Groudon and Kyogre when playing with my shield friend last night.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So...I was looking the stats for those mounted Calyrex, GF outdid themselves, the ghost one is as broken if not more than Zacian-C WTF

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit of the of the Tundra DLC and while I like the overworld, it's so vast and a major improvement over the Wild area in the base game. But it still suffers from the problem that both the base game and the armour DLC has is the lack of Trainers in the area. It would have been nice to battle a few during my adventure. I also would had liked it if they had added new gyms into the mix, I don't understand why we can't go beyond the traditional eight.

I don't really care for the Dynamax adventure and quite frankly not interested in doing it as I have no-one to play with nor have the patient to slowly battle multiple giant Pokémon just to catch one legendary and one regular Pokémon. Sadly, I have to do it to get the horses. 😕

Overall, I do like the Tundra DLC more than Armour and it does shows the potential of future Pokémon games, hopefully a Sinnoh remake down the line, but it unfortunately doesn't do enough to address the problems in the base game. Namely the story and Eternatus being badly set up in the base game. I much prefer the traditional expanded version (though pulling a Black and White 2 would be miles better) than the vanilla base version+DLC set up. In my eyes the DLC just doesn't do enough to fix core problems I had with Sword and Shield.

Also looking at the unobtainable Pokémon listing does gives me hope that the next game will be the Sinnoh as all of the gen 1-4 Pokémon were obtainable in the original Sinnoh game and they can easily add in the remaining gen 5-7 Pokémon to the rosters either via DLC or Battle island. Not gonna raise my hope up too much but still I am pretty hyped. 🤔😁

Either way, with the series 25th anniversary looming next year. I think the future of Pokémon is bright.

Randomly stumbled upon the old lady who makes Galarcia Wreaths for Slowking.

Crown Tundra really needs a mini-map, especially in the caves and when it's foggy.

Yeah, that's the one thing that I was wishing badly during the Armour DLC as I kept getting lost. Hopefully they will improve on that in future Pokémon game should they continue with the wild area set up.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through isle of armor for the first time after dropping the game shortly after I finished it last year and I might be misremembering but this game looks... really good.

I'm sure I'm mistaken and I don't know what it is but I don't remember the base game looking as sharp as IoA is looking right now.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So uhm ice horse and Shadow Horse signature moves are busted as heck. 100 accuracy on a power 130 and 120 move respectively. God damn

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is the expansion pass overall worth buying? Or would I ultimately be better off just waiting for Gen 9?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
it looks like crown tundra is a massive course correction and answers a lot of criticism for the base game

interested to see how the diamond and pearl remakes stack up

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the DLC, I think GF is on the right track.

The new areas, even if small, are well designed (even if a bit empty) and are a big improvement over the basic Wild Area which felt a bit like a beta test of some sort.
The sense of exploration I get in the new DLC areas, with nice things like all the verticality in level design, improves the "travelling with your pokémon" idea alot, even walking around and seeing all those pokémon flying/swimming/running around is a very good; with trainers and some more "life" put into it we could have the definitive Pokémon overworld and maybe finally move on from straight lines routes.

The new pokémon/forms are very nice but that's not surprising since pokémon design has always been extremely on point, in newer regions even more than before.
I am a bit sad that we didn't get a handful of new lines with the DLCs, receving only new legendaries is nice but some normal yet undiscovered creatures roaming around the new areas would have been ace, too bad I guess.

It's good to see so many new pokémon being able to be transfered into the game and in retrospect makes the whole "dexit" debate even more odd.
We only have a handful, mostly harmless, pokémon not being able to be transfered while all the legendaries are in, all the earlier excuses like "balance" and so on feel even sillier now, unless someone truly feel that the likes of Beedrill and Arbok are a threat to any form of meta and should stay out.
All those excuses created a very toxic enviroment when a "we'll add more pokémon down the line, wait and see!" would have worked greatly, GF shouldn't have dragged their feet with unnecessary banters, all of that didn't do them any favor in retrospect.

As for the exclusive "choice" pokémon I went witht Spectrier and Regieleki; not sure when I'll have something to trade for a Glastrier and Regidrago of my own so I'll probably be looking for someone to touch trade soon, just to complete the dex in the meantime.

Overall I think that future Pokémon games could improve alot if they learn a trick or two from the new things we saw in these DLCs, fingers crossed for Gen9 or whatever we'll get in the future, we could be in for a treat.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Can anyone confirm the legendary birds can be soft-reset? I've caught Galarian Moltres six times in a row now and they all have the same nature and stats spread. I haven't encountered it before though so I can't imagine what triggers its stat lock.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm the legendary birds can be soft-reset? I've caught Galarian Moltres six times in a row now and they all have the same nature and stats spread. I haven't encountered it before though so I can't imagine what triggers its stat lock.
I'm pretty sure at least some of the prior games locked the stats for roaming pokemon in the moment they started roaming; might be the same for the birds.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Stats are locked. I believe nature can be reset - just use a sync.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of the of the Tundra DLC and while I like the overworld, it's so vast and a major improvement over the Wild area in the base game. But it still suffers from the problem that both the base game and the armour DLC has is the lack of Trainers in the area. It would have been nice to battle a few during my adventure. I also would had liked it if they had added new gyms into the mix, I don't understand why we can't go beyond the traditional eight.

I don't really care for the Dynamax adventure and quite frankly not interested in doing it as I have no-one to play with nor have the patient to slowly battle multiple giant Pokémon just to catch one legendary and one regular Pokémon. Sadly, I have to do it to get the horses. 😕

Overall, I do like the Tundra DLC more than Armour and it does shows the potential of future Pokémon games, hopefully a Sinnoh remake down the line, but it unfortunately doesn't do enough to address the problems in the base game. Namely the story and Eternatus being badly set up in the base game. I much prefer the traditional expanded version (though pulling a Black and White 2 would be miles better) than the vanilla base version+DLC set up. In my eyes the DLC just doesn't do enough to fix core problems I had with Sword and Shield.

I pretty much agree with all of this. The DLC is an enjoyable adventure, although it fails to repair the base game for me. Additional towns, trainers, stories, etc, would have been appreciated. I don't think either expansion really offered enough content.

However, I feel that a primary reason for DLC this year instead of a sequel/third version was to give Game Freak an opportunity to experiment with open world design. Surely they've realized that their game design is completely outmoded by this point, and that they cannot continue to make future Pokemon games with hallway routes in a completely on rails experience. These expansions, to me, were opportunities for Game Freak to learn how to create the necessary geography and world design to adapt to future Pokemon games.

And it's easy to see how far they've come. The Wild Area in Galar is, to me, a complete joke. It's barren, boring, and empty. Unless one likes grinding raid battles all day, there's just not much to do. The world design made a dramatic improvement with the Isles of Armor, and additional improvements were made with the Crown Tundra. I fully believe at this point that these expansions serve as previews for Gen 9 in 2022. It seems like Game Freak now has a solid grasp on how to design the general geograpy of the world - they now need to learn how to adapt a full narrative, towns, gyms, etc, into this new paradigm.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I'm pretty sure at least some of the prior games locked the stats for roaming pokemon in the moment they started roaming; might be the same for the birds.

Bummer, really wanted 0 Attack IVs.

EDIT: THEY ARE NOT LOCKED. If you knock out the roaming Pokémon it will reset.

Last edited:

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I have not played either of the expansions yet but plan on it soon. What would you say is the average time to complete them both?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Early in this still.

I think I'm overall negative on it:

-Open world is not a good fit for this series. It needs more structure and after three attempts at Wild Areas either needs to drop that or vastly revamp the rest of the game

-This cave thing sucks. Raids were a slog already and now you have to slog through four in a row and I don't think you even know which one you're attempting till you get to it

Actually those are my two gripes, thought I'd have more, but they are pretty major. I wouldn't say this is a negative necessarily but I'd have preferred more regional variants and Gmax forms added than we got as well.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So I can just run away, redo the pattern, and fight the Regi repeatedly for shinny hunting yeah?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
-This cave thing sucks. Raids were a slog already and now you have to slog through four in a row and I don't think you even know which one you're attempting till you get to it

The Dynamax Raid battles are easily the worst part of this generation. I can't stand them. They're boring, unexciting, and purposefully designed to be slow. The Dynamax Adventures are even worse.

I really hope all of this is purged for Gen 9.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Finding it very hard to catch pokemon here. Struggling to catch a beldum that was in the red with an ultra ball. Hope this isn't a trend.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Ok...

chasing Zapdos was awesome. I did not expect this. Would love for the series to keep this kind of behavior for more Pokémon in the future.

Any updates on this? Is Suicune really lost for good for you?
I lost my battle against Suicune and it was saved so I could try it again specifically instead of the game randomly picking a legendary.
Additionally, I have seen Palkia twice on the same game, despite it being caught during the first encounter (though you can't catch it again), so I think these legendaries will just be available regardless, and catchable for as long as you haven't caught them yet.

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Finally caught that damn thing, I don't remember GEN 1 Mewtwo who is the best ever costing me 60+ ultra balls, 2 quick balls.

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
What's the protocol for playing online with others? I'd like to get legendaries not in my version but I've always been nervous playing with strangers online lol.

Just use attack moves? Do people dynamax right away when they get the chance or they wait til the person with the type advantage can instead? How does the voting thing work?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What's the protocol for playing online with others? I'd like to get legendaries not in my version but I've always been nervous playing with strangers online lol.

Just use attack moves? Do people dynamax right away when they get the chance or they wait til the person with the type advantage can instead?
It's a mixed bag. I've seen people that pass on their turn to Dynamax because someone else obviously has the ideal Pokémon. I've also seen people Dynamax just to show off, to the team's detriment.

But yeah, there's rarely any reason to use status moves in raids. Just spam your strongest damage moves and be mindful of moves that may also hit your team, like Earthquake.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the new expansion so far. I think the new wild area is a big improvement over the original: instead of being a big open area, it feels closer to what you'd expect from a route (in that it feels more carefully and thoughtfully designed, and more dense), while still having a lot of interconnectivity and freedom to explore as you see fit. I think I'd like it if the next generation had a couple areas like the original wild area, and they replaced all of the routes with areas designed like the Crown Tundra.

No more footprint-hunting though please. It's tedious lol, and hard to see, especially in the fog. And I'll +1 the idea of a minimap. I'm getting sort of lost.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh this released? Nintendo has been really quiet about it. I bought the DLC pass so I wish Nintendo/TPC publicized this a little more

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone give me a slight hint to access Registeel's cave? I tried the equipping the bell items but no dice.